PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 hoop teams

bubba_chuck_34
02-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Who do you think is going to make it to the regional tourny in Lubbock. I want to know what makes Wylie so good. They have never been strong in basketball. So are Wylie and Canyon the top two favorites, also who are the suprise teams in the region.

wildstangs
02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Wylie is pretty dang good. They have an outstanding player in Scott Langford. They made it to the regional tourney two years ago, and missed it by one game last year (Everman, the state champs knocked them out.)

VWG
02-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Glen Rose could sneak in. Shared district 8-3A title with Kennedale. They usually have pretty good teams and I think their record this year is like 24-8.

Merkel has an outstanding point guard, Lambert, that is a catalyst to their team. Merkel also has a couple of kids with some size.

I look for two things in a team in the playoffs. A good point guard to direct the team, and a go to player that can score. Add in a good coach and you should be in Lubbock come Region I tourney time.

Greenwoodbro
02-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Ya'll dont forget about Greenwood, these boys got game.

bubba_chuck_34
02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Glen Rose could very likely match up with Graham in the 2nd round. Graham has already beat them twice this year. Graham has what VGW is looking for. They have a senior PG that can shoot 3's lights out and they have a junior post that is their go to scorer and a underrated coach. I hope that we get another shot at Wylie but by the way the brackets pan out we will have to see them deep into the playoffs. Isn't Glen Rose young i heard that they have sophmores that run their team. It also looks like Wylie and Everman could meet up in the 2nd round. Wouldn't that be fun.

wildstangs
02-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I am hoping to see Wylie and Merkel meet up. 10 miles apart, and to my knowledge have not played this year. If both win their first game this will happen.

VWG
02-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Everman doesn't look like the power they have been in past years. Even if Wylie and Everman do match up in the 2nd round, I would still consider Wylie the clear favorite.
Greenwood. Interesting team. Don't know much about them. Weak district, but they were rated high all year. Who are the main guys on Greenwood's team? What makes them so good?

Graham has a good team, and yes their point guard can play. Don't know about shooting lights out 3's though. Iowa Park had the best player in the district with James Rowland. I do agree with the coach of Graham being a best kept secret. He hasn't been at Graham but only about two to three years. Same old thing at Graham though... prove it in the playoffs.
I still think Glen Rose could make it to the Region I tournament in Lubbock.

BHKrystal06
02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Bubba_Chuck_34....what a great name, I love it... :D :p

slpybear the bullfan
02-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Anyone see the Bulls play this year? I think they split with Graham...

We are still waiting to see who might face the Bulls in round II.

VWG
02-22-2004, 09:52 AM
slpybear the bullfan:

We are still waiting to see who might face the Bulls in round II.Bulls have a good team. Can't remember who the kids name is, but they have a guy that can shoot. I still feel that if you have a good solid point guard and a go to player who can score...it will take you to Lubbock.

VWG
02-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Just looking at this AM's Star-Telegram and Bridgeport lost to Kennedale in a warm up game.
Yost is the kid from Bridgeport. He's a good player. Had 24 in the loss to Kennedale.

Graham lost their warm up game to Argyle. Number one ranked team in 2A.
Both games for Bridgeport/Kennedale and Graham/Argyle were close.

Ranger Mom
02-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Interesting team. Don't know much about them. Weak district, but they were rated high all year. Who are the main guys on Greenwood's team? What makes them so good?
I can't say I know a whole lot about the Bball team. The games I have seen they all seemed to anticipate what the others were doing. They have some plays that look almost choreographed, they execute them so well.

I guess the biggest thing is they play like a team. They all get along great, there's not really one stand out.

How far they can go is anybody's guess, but they seem to be having a great time, so I am happy for them!

<small>[ February 22, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

bubba_chuck_34
02-22-2004, 02:27 PM
VWG why do you think that Rowland was the best player in the district. Yeah he was last year but, Berend was the best player in the district this year. His numbers showed it averaged a double-double like 18 and 12 i think. Also when he did not score many points like the 1st meeting against I.P. he shut down Rowland. The PG can shoot the lights out he was in a shooting slump the last few games in district but look for him to heat up in the playoffs. The Steers beat the Bulls two out of three times.

lobo12
02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
dont forget about greenwood

1 ranger fan
02-22-2004, 09:05 PM
I would have to say that Greenwood has a pretty good shot. I have seen every game but maybe two. Lots of talent. Very deep bench. Best point guard I have ever seen. Good big man. Defensively they will get in your pocket. And if I am not mistaken they only lost to Everman last year by 10 in the first round of the region tournament. And they returned everybody. But that really doesn't mean a whole lot. It doesn't give them any points this year.

Matthew328
02-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Lots of good teams in Region 1...Canyon, Greenwood, Wylie, Everman, Glen Rose, Kennedale, Bridgeport, Graham, etc...gonna be fun...no Everman isn't the power house they were last year...but don't count em out either..

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Dang our Vernon boys just don't get any respect. I guess it will take another run in the playoffs to get some. As far as the best player in our district I agree with VWG and I think James Rowland is the best player too.

Watch out for the Lions though!

Z Motion Jr on guard!
http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/mattguarding.jpg

1 ranger fan
02-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Anyone that counts Everman out is looking to get beat. Also, Wylie is a very well coached team. Will make a great run. It will be fun. Let the good times roll.

bubba_chuck_34
02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Z Motion griping about respect. Noone is giving Grahams Berend any respect he was the best player in the district this year and that is hands down he will get the district MVP. Rowland had alot of bad nights in district.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Berend rang up some on the Vernon boys I'll give you that. So did Rowland. He played well both games against Vernon. I didn't see any other games that he played in so I'm jsut basing my opinion on what I saw. Heck they are both great players. Frankly, I thought that IP had the best team and Graham had the best coaching. Vernon should have beat Graham in Graham but then in the second game, Graham ran a great defense and executed very well. Vernon had too many turnovers. I think that the Graham team goes farther because of the great execution. Not many mistakes out of that team. Now don't get uptight here, Graham has some talent, I'm not say that they don't but it was the execution of the game plan that I was most impressed with. Good luck to both IP and Graham.

slpybear the bullfan
02-24-2004, 09:45 PM
1 ranger fan:
Anyone that counts Everman out is looking to get beat. Also, Wylie is a very well coached team. Will make a great run. It will be fun. Let the good times roll.Everman can be counted out... after tonight. They lost to Decatur 56- 51. Chief Woodman just called and posted the info.

kaorder1999
02-24-2004, 11:41 PM
wow...that is wild...i cant believe they lost

this is the way we ball
02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
kaorder1999:
wow...that is wild...i cant believe they lostNot an excuse, just a fact... Everman suspended their point guard for the Decatur game.

Matthew328
02-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Actually they had 2 guys suspended...still not an excuse, Everman shouldn't have lost anyway...they just didn't have it this year...LOL

VERNONLION#1
02-28-2004, 12:09 AM
slpybear the bullfan:

We are still waiting to see who might face the Bulls in round II.Were you at the game this evening? It's going to be interesting against Graham in round 3. That #12 is a heck of an athlete. What were your thoughts.

1DAWG
02-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Abilene Wylie 50-Decatur 47

slpybear the bullfan
02-28-2004, 01:45 PM
VERNONLION#1:
Were you at the game this evening? It's going to be interesting against Graham in round 3. That #12 is a heck of an athlete. What were your thoughts.Yes, I went to the game last night. I think the Bulls and the Lions were very evenly matched. They both played hard, but the Lions came out ready to play after halftime... the Bulls didn't. It went down to an exciting finish, but we couldn't get it rolling after half the Lions came out on fire. Same thing with the OT period... We look up and we are 4 points down almost immediately. I have to give the Lions a ton of credit, they deserve the victory and played to win.

Good job to the Bulls and a great season. We are proud.

#12 has had a great year. His name is Jacob Joiner. I haven't heard about college ball but I will pass that on if I hear it... I still love to watch him drive to the outside and nail those threes without setting up.

I was very impressed with the Lions... #3, 4 and 5 definitely can handle the ball. And #40 is great underneath.

All that beind said, I enjoy basketball, but Football is my true love. I just don't understand how the refs call games in basketball. Both teams deal with it and I don't think games hinge on one call. But if I was a kid from either team, how do you handle the differences between one ref and another on the same court? I'll take football or baseball any day.

Now, I do want to make a couple of comments. #1 - Almost all of the fans from Vernon were very classy. Good people.
#2 - The small group of adult Vernon fans who walked down after the game and shook their keys at us and yelled "start the bus" to us and our kids are idiots. You were an emabarrassment to your town and your team after a great game. I might expect that from immature kids and students... but not that group of adults. Its a Texas HS playoff game... not a street game. Shameful. At least our anger at the display was mitigated by the sight of the one "lady" who was shaking her fists and keys so hard and yelling at us that her "blonde" wig slid off and she kept trying to fix it but never could. Again, it was only a small group who did it and I think the vast majority of Vernon folks are good sports and people.

Oh well... I know that last part sounds like sour grapes, but you should have heard our fans talk about it after the game. Those idiots didn't have a clue about dignity or winning.

<small>[ February 28, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Splybear:

Sorry to hear that. I hope those were fans that do not reside in Vernon at least. Who knows though. I listened to the game on the radio and must say if I wasn't bald enough before this game I am now! Sounded like the game could have gone either way. This is the deepist that Vernon has gone in 20 years. At the end of the last district game Graham beat Vernon and their fans chanted the hey hey goodbye theme that is always chanted. What ironey that would be if Vernon can knock them out and then sing that song.

Vernon has some very talented kids right now. Most of our kids play three or four sports. Our football team did well, basketball did and is still doing well, I suspect the same thing for baseball and track. Heck of a year for our athletes.

cubs
02-28-2004, 10:07 PM
It is pitiful the way some folks act, Slpy - the worst displays I have seen at our playoff games have been adults. It's no wonder some of the kids act the way they do. Don't worry about it sounding like sour grapes - it doesn't - it's a sad trend in society these days and people need to let others know it is not acceptable.

bubba_chuck_34
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
SLPY that is part of the game have you ever heard about the Cameron Crazies. Graham has the PIT that is where Vernon got that chant from and Vernon wont be singing the song after Tues night.

slpybear the bullfan
02-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Guys, I hear what ya'll are saying...

BUT...

From students I understand. From grown adults... no, I don't consider that part of the game. Behaviour like that just makes 'em look like idiots.

Again, just a very small group of adults after the game and most all of the Vernon fans were great.

That was a terribly exciting game... almost as good as the Decatur Game, (except we won that one! wink )

Good luck to Region I...

bubba_chuck_34
02-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Man i just love Vernon and their fans.
Every year we beat them in every sport and they continue to run their mouths and COPY our CHANTS.
This senior class for the STEERS has dominated Vernon's senior class EVERY year since Junior High. We have already beatin Vernon twice, the first time they shouldn't have been close, and the second time the game wasn't even close. Vernon better find a way to stop #32 he dropped 30 against them last time and dropped another 30 against Glen Rose. And for the copying our chants thing. Are the Vernon players and fans JEALOUS are what. We started it in district so leave it alone. Find something new.
I will be at the game for our 3rd staight V against the lions and will witness our fans being louder than ever.
Be PREPARED Vernon the PIT is going to be LOUDER and more HATEFUL than ever.
LUBBOCK IS OUR NEXT STOP.

VWG
02-29-2004, 08:31 PM
bubba_chuck_34:
Every year we beat them in every sport and they continue to run their mouths and COPY our CHANTS.
This senior class for the STEERS has dominated Vernon's senior class EVERY year since Junior High. We have already beatin Vernon twice, the first time they shouldn't have been close, and the second time the game wasn't even close. Vernon better find a way to stop #32 he dropped 30 against them last time and dropped another 30 against Glen Rose. And for the copying our chants thing. Are the Vernon players and fans JEALOUS are what. We started it in district so leave it alone. Find something new.
I will be at the game for our 3rd staight V against the lions and will witness our fans being louder than ever.
LUBBOCK IS OUR NEXT STOP.If the Lions win... and they have all the tools to do it with, then you better be ready to eat some crow. Graham has a good team... good players and a good coach. They can be beat. Graham has made it to the Region I tournament several times in their roundball history, but don't count the Lions out. Favors and company could give the Steers an early exit.

bulldog34
02-29-2004, 08:40 PM
what makes Wylie so good is that they play as a team and dont care who scores all the points as long as they win the games

VERNONLION#1
02-29-2004, 11:25 PM
VWG:

bubba_chuck_34:
LUBBOCK IS OUR NEXT STOP.If the Lions win... and they have all the tools to do it with, then you better be ready to eat some crow. Graham has a good team... good players and a good coach. They can be beat. Graham has made it to the Region I tournament several times in their roundball history, but don't count the Lions out. Favors and company could give the Steers an early exit.Thanks VWG that was very well said. I don't get caught up in all that BS(chanting,copying the other team etc.) I go and support our team win or lose. Good luck to both teams. This should be a very good game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-01-2004, 01:23 AM
bubba_chuck_34: there is no way that I would trade Vernon's football success for Graham's...Come on now 5 years worth of district titles and no playoff wins. Evaluate Bubba before you post something dumb like that. About basketball...It takes Graham overtime to beat Vernon in the first meeting. The second meeting I know you were not there because obviously you didn't see the game. Graham goes on a run with about 2 min left. Before that it is tied in the 50's. Graham hit a couple of shots and Vernon didn't. That is how basketball goes. When I heard that we were playing Graham I was thrilled because I know that we can play with the Steers. We have twice, now maybe the ball falls our way. The pressure in on Graham not Vernon. Should be a good game. Of course I will dish out the crow should the lowly little beaten down Lions win. So be ready to eat some. Now about these seniors...well they win the region in football at least area champs in basketball, they will be strong in baseball and they are always good in track. And about the chants…sorry Bubba but if you think they originated in Graham with this senior class well I can’t help you then.

bubba_chuck_34
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Z motion we know who the better team in football was. On the roundball thing yall hung with us the first game because of foul trouble and we didn't play good either, yes i was at the second game. That was the way the steers play. They are in top shape and out hustle anyone in the second half. Also #32 tore yall up and the way he is playing he is going to do it again. 31 pts and 23 reb against Glen Rose. The PG is due to have a big game. For the chants and everything yeah we didn't orginate it, but we brought it to our district and around the area. So be ready Vernon the pit is rolling up to W.F. and its going to get LOUDER THAN EVER. Also for the remaining sports I dont recall Vernon being good at baseball or track.Well yall have couple of good P.V. thats about it. Next stop for STEERS is REGION 1 TOURNEY IN LUBBOCK TEXAS.

VWG
03-01-2004, 10:25 PM
bubba_chuck_34:
Z motion we know who the better team in football was. On the roundball thing yall hung with us the first game because of foul trouble and we didn't play good either, yes i was at the second game. That was the way the steers play. They are in top shape and out hustle anyone in the second half. Also #32 tore yall up and the way he is playing he is going to do it again. 31 pts and 23 reb against Glen Rose. The PG is due to have a big game. For the chants and everything yeah we didn't orginate it, but we brought it to our district and around the area. So be ready Vernon the pit is rolling up to W.F. and its going to get LOUDER THAN EVER. Also for the remaining sports I dont recall Vernon being good at baseball or track.Well yall have couple of good P.V. thats about it. Next stop for STEERS is REGION 1 TOURNEY IN LUBBOCK TEXAS.The better football team?
How many playoff games has Graham won recently?

VERNONLION#1
03-02-2004, 10:24 AM
VWG:

bubba_chuck_34:
Z motion we know who the better team in football was. On the roundball thing yall hung with us the first game because of foul trouble and we didn't play good either, yes i was at the second game. That was the way the steers play. They are in top shape and out hustle anyone in the second half. Also #32 tore yall up and the way he is playing he is going to do it again. 31 pts and 23 reb against Glen Rose. The PG is due to have a big game. For the chants and everything yeah we didn't orginate it, but we brought it to our district and around the area. So be ready Vernon the pit is rolling up to W.F. and its going to get LOUDER THAN EVER. Also for the remaining sports I dont recall Vernon being good at baseball or track.Well yall have couple of good P.V. thats about it. Next stop for STEERS is REGION 1 TOURNEY IN LUBBOCK TEXAS.The better football team?
How many playoff games has Graham won recently?Better Football Team? Did I see you at the Semi-Finals game @ Birdville. I Don't Think So. You guys can be as loud as you want over in your "pit", but in our neck of the woods We know our LIONS are ready for some "Beef" before we play in Lubbock, nothing like a big hunk of Steer meat to get The VERNON LIONS HUNGRY FOR MORE!! As for VWG's Question about playoff games. THE NUMBER IS 000000000000000000!!!!!!!! GO LIONS!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-02-2004, 11:52 AM
It has been a great rivalry over the past 5 years I will say that. Also Graham always has very good sports programs. Lets see how the Basketball game goes first and then I'll be paying attention to the Baseball and Track as well so don't dissappear Bubba if things don't go like you said.

bubba_chuck_34
03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Okay everyone I am tired of talking about football. Yes Vernon went far and We "Graham" didn't win a playoff game. But the ball bounced Vernon's way and not our's. We beat Vernon handily 28-7 and they still think to this day they were better than us. For basketball this season we have beatin Vernon twice already and the second game which was in Vernon we were ahead by double digits throughout the game untill they had a kid hit like 3 or 4 threes on consecutive possessions. That is they only reason they were even in the game. Vernon only has one Post and he is not that great. He doesn't have good hands. The only thing Vernon has are quick guards that are athletes not basketball players. This will be Graham's strongest track team in years and are baseball team will be strong also. Graham's senior class has never lost to Vernon in any of the 4 major high school sports. Sorry Vernon your playoff luck in football and basketball are fixing to vanish. It's going to be on tonight and our players and PIT are going to be SWOLE. 28-7,28-7, 28-7, remember that Vernon ya'll are not better than us. 28-7.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Bubba:

Go back and check the scores--Vernon's seniors beat Graham's seniors in football when they played JV 7-6. So don't give me that line about Vernon’s seniors never beating Graham's seniors. Now I will admit Graham has had great sports programs over the course of the recent past. Great accomplishments from many different athletes and in many sports, but Bubba this is the Football Forum and that is what we focus on here. So don't get mad that we talk about how good Vernon's football team was this year. Because Vernon won the region not Graham. I will say that I was surprised that Graham didn't do better in the playoffs myself. Had they been able to beat Wylie I think they would have went as far as Wylie went. They had a very good football team.

It has been a great rivalry and I'm sure it will continue to be in the future. But let me drop this on you. From the mid 80's to the mid 90's Vernon won 11 straight district football championships (two years as a co-district champions in that mix of 11).

Think about that on your way to the coliseum tonight. See you in the pit!

bubba_chuck_34
03-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Nice game tonight wasn't it boys. I am loving it. It sure would suck to be Vernon right now. Losing 3 times in the same season to the steers and 2 of them being buzzer beaters. That JV team that the steers had two years ago doesn't matter because we had six sophmores playing for the varsity so that doesn't matter. Graham's big guns didn't play very well last night. Vernon's guards swarmed our guards all night. But it was junior guard #3 Nik Hobson that stole the game. He came up huge hitting big shot after big shot.No one ever would have thought that he would have been the hero. For football- over the past 4 or 5 years Graham has had more talent, better athletes and better football players. Tell me if i am wrong- it is hard to do anything in the playoffs these days running the out dated 70's veer offense. Our athletes are much more suitable to a wide open balanced attack. Again what a crazy and fun game last night and it should be a heck of a Regional Tournment. Graham plays Canyon 8:30 Friday, we lost to them earlier in the year by 6 or 8 points so it should be an exciting game. Where is Vernon now. Once in football, three in basketball, and now two more sports to go. "IN THE JUNGLE THE MIGHTY JUNGLE WHERE THE LIONS SLEEP TILL NEXT SEASON."

vet93
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Congratulations on the win Bubba...roundball is not my sport so I don't give it a whole lot of thought...now lets turn to your laughable comments about football. What does it say, when you concede having the better athletes but way less playoff success in football than either Vernon or Iowa Park for that matter. I guess it means that you are not playing to your potential. Now...your reason for this is that the coaches aren't coaching you right. Well...has it ever occurred to you that it takes coaching to develop a program that has athletes like you guys do. You don't win the district championships you have in a very tough district without good coaching. Please don't try to seperate your statement about the outdated offense from the coaching. They go hand in hand. In other words, you can't say that we have great coaches but a lousy offensive scheme. You either have great coaches or lousy coaches who can't select a workable offensive scheme. You can't seperate the two. And as to the lousy offensive scheme...maybe you should ask Midland Greenwood how that "70's" offense has worked for them the last few years wink

bubba_chuck_34:
Nice game tonight wasn't it boys. I am loving it. It sure would suck to be Vernon right now. Losing 3 times in the same season to the steers and 2 of them being buzzer beaters. That JV team that the steers had two years ago doesn't matter because we had six sophmores playing for the varsity so that doesn't matter. Graham's big guns didn't play very well last night. Vernon's guards swarmed our guards all night. But it was junior guard #3 Nik Hobson that stole the game. He came up huge hitting big shot after big shot.No one ever would have thought that he would have been the hero. For football- over the past 4 or 5 years Graham has had more talent, better athletes and better football players. Tell me if i am wrong- it is hard to do anything in the playoffs these days running the out dated 70's veer offense. Our athletes are much more suitable to a wide open balanced attack. Again what a crazy and fun game last night and it should be a heck of a Regional Tournment. Graham plays Canyon 8:30 Friday, we lost to them earlier in the year by 6 or 8 points so it should be an exciting game. Where is Vernon now. Once in football, three in basketball, and now two more sports to go. "IN THE JUNGLE THE MIGHTY JUNGLE WHERE THE LIONS SLEEP TILL NEXT SEASON."

Adidas410s
03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
just as an FYI for you, Vernon is going to chalk up win #1 this weekend over Graham at the Regional Tennis tournament in Wichita Falls. Graham has gotten better this year, thanks to 2 brothers moving in from Wylie, but other than they they do not have very much while Vernon is the defending state champs. If Graham even gets to play them, Vernon will win...and very easily!

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Yes Bubba your Steers won the game. And your are absolutly correct in that you would hate to be Vernon, because in the past ten years of watching Vernon sports now on two occassions I have left a game with an ache in my stomache. One of those times came two years ago in football when Graham came back and tied the game, then beat us in overtime. I knew we had the better team but we lost. That was the year we made it to the regional finals. The second came last night as the buzzer sounded and I realized we had just lost. It was a great game and that #3 made shot after shot. I know that no matter what happens from now on that he will always cherish the memory of making that final shot. I think that you underestimated Vernon's team and this game could have easily gone either way. That is why I was sick about it. Hey the pit was very loud and in fact just before half I thought that there may be some violence because of all the smack talking going back and forth between the student sections. Glad there wasn't. One last note, I was at least glad that it was so close and the Pitt was so excited that you won they rushed the court and forgot to sing the hey hey hey boodbye song. That would have just been too much.

<small>[ March 03, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

Greenwoodbro
03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Graham is sure confident about there basketball team. havent seen them play i will at the regional torubey hope greenwood gets a hold of them.

Greenwoodbro
03-03-2004, 03:06 PM
regional tourney my bad

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Graham has a great team with good shooters. But I heard so does Greenwood. Hope it will be a good game.

Greenwoodbro:
regional tourney my bad