PDA

View Full Version : Do we expect too much from stud hoops players?

big daddy russ
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
The Baylor/sahen thread got me thinking: should we expect a national championship from the best player in the game regardless of the team that surrounds them? Should the player who's truly the best in the game be able to elevate everyone else's play or do they need some help?

big daddy russ
04-01-2011, 12:33 AM
And on that note, who are the best players in the country at each level? Kobe/Lebron? Jimmer/Kemba? Brittany Griner?

coach
04-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Baylor/sahen thread got me thinking: should we expect a national championship from the best player in the game regardless of the team that surrounds them? Should the player who's truly the best in the game be able to elevate everyone else's play or do they need some help?

Most of the time yes. For example, lebron jame. We expect way too much of him. But, with brittney griner, one championship is not asking much. She should easily win one. Hell her hands are bigger than lebron's and he wing spam is as big as Elton brand lol. So in certain situations yes, but in baylor's no

Additup
04-01-2011, 04:01 AM
I've learned to EXPECT that every kid who touches a basketball thinks he's a "stud hoops player"...
I know 9th graders whose AAU agents have had them convinced (for the past 2 years) that they won't even need the basketball scholarship (that they really ain't gonna even come close to getting). Straight to the show for the next Lebron.

Maroon87
04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by coach
For example, lebron jame. We expect way too much of him.

I can't have much sympathy for a guy that calls himself "King" James and is constantly looking to draw attention to himself.

Besides, it was him that said the Heat would win 7 rings after he and Bosh joined, not any of us.

Farmersfan
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
How much is too much? At the pro level is the level of expectation indicative of the salary? Or are we guilty of buying into unjustified hype?

big daddy russ
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
How about a guy like Kobe? During the time between Shaq and Gasol, LA never made it out of the first round. When LeBron was in Cleveland doing it by himself, they made the '07 Finals with the aid of a weak draw through the playoffs, then got blown out by the Spurs. As the upper echelon of the East improved, the Cavs struggled to advance.

Michael Jordan's supporting cast was a 55-win championship contender. Are we putting too much emphasis on the stars and not enough on the supporting cast?

big daddy russ
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
...Or are we guilty of buying into unjustified hype?
I'd say I'm very guilty.