PDA

View Full Version : Wife's school job security

Antec
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
My wife works for the Fort Bend ISD in Sugar Land (Stafford office) (4 years)-Not as a teacher but in maitenance building purchasing

She found out recently that that there will be layoffs in her department before the semester ends if not sooner

She is worried of course

I already lost my job last month and have been unemployed for 5 weeks

We can ill afford for both of us to be unemployed

Old Dog
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Hang on friend, there's gona be a lot of rough sledding ahead for all of us! Almost every state has school finance problems. It's gona set up the recession for a much longer run.

big daddy russ
03-31-2011, 04:24 AM
Sorry to hear that, Antec. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to keep some jobs.

The state's not touching the Rainy Day Fund but should be. If there's one thing that's been consistent throughout Gub'na Goodhair's reign, it's been total mismanagement of the state budget.

Black_Magic
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, If all this mess does not make you doubt who you voted for the last couple of elections then I dont know what will. Strayhorn warned us of all this mess 5 years ago. Although you cant COMPLETELY blame Republicans and Perry because there was and economic downturn, This is and was preventable by restoring tax policies that were in place 6 years ago. YES we would still have SOME budget shortfalls but NOTHING like what we are facing. NOW the wealthy and big business have made away like bandits because they put perry and republicans in positions like they have. TIME has come to Vote for your JOB AND PROFESSION. NOT a percieved political Agenda you agree with regarding things like Gun owner rights, Imigration, Abortions ect.... If you dont then you will continue to get more of this. Insanity is doing( voting ) the same thing over and over and expecitng a change... we better start voting for candidates that favor Full Funding of PUBLIC education and YOUR working Rights as a middle class worker even if they represent a party you have not voted for and NOT for candidates that prove they are out for wealthy big business folks over and over and over again..:rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Gub'na Goodhair's reign

hahaha...I would have like to seen him outdoors yesterday, it seemed like the wind was blowing a steady 30 mph. He wouldn't last long on the coast.

Antec, sorry for the ongoing worries. I hope this works out for her, if not, she should definitely eat her lunch at each of their desks before she leaves. Better yet, eat their lunch at their desk.

JasperDog94
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
we better start voting for candidates that favor Full Funding of PUBLIC education and YOUR working Rights as a middle class worker even if they represent a party you have not voted for and NOT for candidates that prove they are out for wealthy big business folks over and over and over again..:rolleyes: You have working rights right now. What are you talking about? Nobody's forcing anyone to work for them. You have the right to work (unlike many union states), you have the right to not work, AND you have the right to look for any job you like. There's no feudal system keeping anyone down. If you want something then get out there and work for it!

baseballcoach13
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
That sucks, man. I will be on the job hunt again too due to district cut backs. Hopefully something good will come of it.

Black_Magic
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You have working rights right now. What are you talking about? Nobody's forcing anyone to work for them. You have the right to work (unlike many union states), you have the right to not work, AND you have the right to look for any job you like. There's no feudal system keeping anyone down. If you want something then get out there and work for it! Oh folks are working more and more and more all the time and have for years and years but wages dont rise with the cost of living. Atleast the blue collar workers wages dont. Presidents and CEO's and Owners incomes at the same time have been going UP AND UP AND UP... OH wait, I know the reason. The workers are just lazy and the CEO's are the ones actualy doing the REAL work...:rolleyes:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_brMJ7fBhGEE/TEEohSexNDI/AAAAAAAABLU/e6avXe3ZZLM/s1600/golf-swing.jpg

Old LB
04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Oh folks are working more and more and more all the time and have for years and years but wages dont rise with the cost of living. Atleast the blue collar workers wages dont. Presidents and CEO's and Owners incomes at the same time have been going UP AND UP AND UP... OH wait, I know the reason. The workers are just lazy and the CEO's are the ones actualy doing the REAL work...:rolleyes:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_brMJ7fBhGEE/TEEohSexNDI/AAAAAAAABLU/e6avXe3ZZLM/s1600/golf-swing.jpg

A blue collar worker generally does not have much at risk when it comes to his employment, if he shows up and does a good job he gets paid an agreed upon wage. An owner, CEO, ect. usually has a level of personal risk with the company. No risk, no reward.

JasperDog94
04-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Oh folks are working more and more and more all the time and have for years and years but wages dont rise with the cost of living. Atleast the blue collar workers wages dont. Presidents and CEO's and Owners incomes at the same time have been going UP AND UP AND UP... OH wait, I know the reason. The workers are just lazy and the CEO's are the ones actualy doing the REAL work...:rolleyes:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_brMJ7fBhGEE/TEEohSexNDI/AAAAAAAABLU/e6avXe3ZZLM/s1600/golf-swing.jpg You sure do insinuate a lot. You act as if workers have no rights to go look for a better job. The fact is in non-union states you have a right to work in whatever job you want to. Nobody is forcing people to work for low wages or long hours. If you don't like it, change your situation and look for a better job. It's a pretty simple concept.

BTW - In your system who gets to decide how much an owner or CEO makes in his/her own company? The government?

garciap77
04-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
A blue collar worker generally does not have much at risk when it comes to his employment, if he shows up and does a good job he gets paid an agreed upon wage. An owner, CEO, ect. usually has a level of personal risk with the company. No risk, no reward.

Are you sure?

It’s no secret that CEOs have been raking in millions of dollars in salaries, stock options, retirement benefits, and perks like country club memberships and private jet use at a rate that far outpaces the growth of rank-and-file workers’ wages. What’s more, even when their companies don’t perform well or when the top dog gets the boot, the CEO still gets out with a golden parachute worth millions in severance pay, retirement benefits, stock options, and other benefits.

:confused:

JasperDog94
04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Are you sure?

It’s no secret that CEOs have been raking in millions of dollars in salaries, stock options, retirement benefits, and perks like country club memberships and private jet use at a rate that far outpaces the growth of rank-and-file workers’ wages. What’s more, even when their companies don’t perform well or when the top dog gets the boot, the CEO still gets out with a golden parachute worth millions in severance pay, retirement benefits, stock options, and other benefits.

:confused: Are we talking about CEOs or Superintendents?:D

OldBison75
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Why is it that the people in this country always place all of the blame for budget shortfalls on the elected leader? The Gov. proposes a budget to the congressional houses and they then twist, shape, add, and subtract from it until the original submitted budget ends up with very little resemblance to what the Gov. proposed. At least that was how the budget worked when I used to have to go before the state budget committees when I was employed by the state.

If you really are going to look at the causes of the shortfall, you have to look at the entire picture of what has happened that got us to this point. In a nutshell, how many of the Texas available dollars are being routed to fund programs that the federal government mandates but does not fund. Look at those numbers and then look at the number of dollars spent on unemployment extensions, now 99 weeks as mandated by the US Congress and President before November elections.

The failure in Texas is way beyond the fault of the Gov even though he bears some of the blame. However, there are plenty of elected officials that have shares of that failure in both parties that.

garciap77
04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Are we talking about CEOs or Superintendents?:D

:D