PDA

View Full Version : Giddings AD/HC

hookandladder
03-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Any word on this job, have they selected coaches to be interviewed.

Johnny Utah
03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I think interviews start next week!! Have some really good ones coming in. May the best man win, and he will win if he gets it!!

hookandladder
03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Heard they have the list of coaches to be interview, also heard good chance Bo Robinson is on that list. He was also on LG 's list and was thought to be our new coach but that did not happen and now may be coaching against us.

87 TIGER
03-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Robinson was one of our finalist 5 years ago

dirtysouth
03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
La Vernia has significantly underachieved the past 5 years if that helps you sleep any better!!

1st and goal
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Where has Bo been coaching?

Dogman_1969
04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
For our districts sake I hope Bo Robinson decides to stay at La Vernia. The guy moved into Cuero's back yard and has slayed the giant a few times.........

bigcat8
04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
cuero was undefeated in district this year...lv was 5-6

Johnny Utah
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Just an observation but it seems he has been trying to get out of LV as soon as he got in.

gtownfan
04-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Looks like were down to the final 3 and the decision will be made tonight!

http://www.leecountylive.com/News%204X.htm

Torch Bearer
04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
This does not look like a final three that I would have imagined. Two guys on teams with losing records, and the other guy lost in the first round. Two coordinators and one (2A) Head coach.

truebluestang
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Chris Jones is a good as they get. He was the OC at Sinton when they played for the State Title and was the HC at Rfugio and did a great job there as well. He is not only a good coach but a first class guy.

gtownfan
04-07-2011, 08:32 AM
One that is interesting is Toby Forman from WOS. Seems like he would be hanging around for the WOS job since Hooks is retiring (or at least i thought I heard that).

Any comments from the WOS faithfull?

dog40
04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Very interesting top 3 list. You never know what the committee hears and likes or what they are looking for in resume'. I know some good applicants with some skins on the wall and very successfull records that didn't get a look.

hookandladder
04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
This list is somewhat of a surprise to me also, however you have to be on the committee to know what you really have on the list. Hope all works out for Giddings, LG will be looking forward to knocking heads next year in football.

Johnny Utah
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I concur with Stangs, C Jones is legit. A great person and coach!!! He is a leader and has two sons that will be in high school at the same time very soon. He is a class act and a very good coach.

griff
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
One that is interesting is Toby Forman from WOS. Seems like he would be hanging around for the WOS job since Hooks is retiring (or at least i thought I heard that).

Any comments from the WOS faithfull?

I was surprised to learn of Toby Foreman's application at Giddings. He has applied for the WO-S HC/AD position, as well. It is likely that Cornel Thompson, longtime DC and right hand man to Hooks, will get the job. I don't know Toby personally (though I know his dad), but I thought he would stay at WO-S even if Thompson gets the gig. Toby's dad once told me that being HC at WO-S is his dream job. He played high school ball at WO-S and his dad has coached there for many years. 'Very surprised by this.

I can tell you this about Toby Foreman. He's young, has lots of enthusiasm for coaching, is great at working with QBs, has a terrific offensive mind, and has strong relatability with his players. He's also the two-time defending 3A state title track coach.

gtownfan
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by griff
I was surprised to learn of Toby Foreman's application at Giddings. He has applied for the WO-S HC/AD position, as well. It is likely that Cornel Thompson, longtime DC and right hand man to Hooks, will get the job. I don't know Toby personally (though I know his dad), but I thought he would stay at WO-S even if Thompson gets the gig. Toby's dad once told me that being HC at WO-S is his dream job. He played high school ball at WO-S and his dad has coached there for many years. 'Very surprised by this.

I can tell you this about Toby Foreman. He's young, has lots of enthusiasm for coaching, is great at working with QBs, has a terrific offensive mind, and has strong relatability with his players. He's also the two-time defending 3A state title track coach.

Thanks for the info!!

Would be interesting if he gets the job and then the two teams meet next year.

TexasHSFootball
04-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Giddings (23-3A) hires Post coach Chris Jones as new head football coach.

Johnny Utah
04-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Awesome hire! He and the Buffalos will shine!!!

ol country boy
04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
if this is true about C Jones....then Giddings got them a first class individual.

buff4ever
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM
This is exciting news, he is exactly what we need. Look forward to him getting started.

1st and goal
04-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
I concur with Stangs, C Jones is legit. A great person and coach!!! He is a leader and has two sons that will be in high school at the same time very soon. He is a class act and a very good coach.

I'm certain the 2 sons playing put some extra points on his resume.:D :D :D

Old Tiger
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
What kind of offense and defense can we expect Giddings to run?

ol country boy
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
he has been a wing-t and a spread guy....he has mixed it up and done great.

on defense look for a split/4-2-5 scheme

1st and goal
04-08-2011, 03:55 PM
It sounds like he's awesome. I will love watching the Offense break huddle and the opposing D might have to actually adjust. Not to say we didn't do quite well with the 22 guys in a dustcloud ending up in a pile. But I really look forward to the fact that we might be able to keep opponents' Defense honest.

Welcome and Congrats Coach Jones!

Johnny Utah
04-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I am a nobody, but I am telling you that CJ is legit!!

GiddingsFan
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM

I am told that Toby pulled his name out of hat for WO-S job either yesterday morning or Wed afternoon.. and he already has a job lined up as an asst in Texarkana. I am hearing he did not have the option to stay at WO-S.. but then again that is hearsay.

GiddingsFan
04-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Torch Bearer
This does not look like a final three that I would have imagined. Two guys on teams with losing records, and the other guy lost in the first round. Two coordinators and one (2A) Head coach.

agreed. that is what happens when the school board gets involved

GiddingsFan
04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by truebluestang
Chris Jones is a good as they get. He was the OC at Sinton when they played for the State Title and was the HC at Rfugio and did a great job there as well. He is not only a good coach but a first class guy.

I know he was let go after a year from La Marque, and have been told he was let go at another school.. was it Refugio?

Ernest T Bass
04-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
I know he was let go after a year from La Marque, and have been told he was let go at another school.. was it Refugio?

He left Refugio for La Marque. He left La Marque on his own accord after a 9-3 season to get closer to family(and probably to escape the insanity that is La Marque football). He was never asked to leave.

BaseballUmp
04-08-2011, 07:20 PM

:stirpot:

GiddingsFan
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
:stirpot:

I am not trying to stir. Sorry it came out that way. I do think he was the best of the 3 finalists. Good luck to him. I got bad information about him from another website in setx.

GiddingsFan
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
it was on
http://www.s e t x sports.com/forum/index.php?topic=82827.0

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I got bad information about him from another website in setx.
Imagine that! :doh: :doh:

Ernest T Bass
04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
it was on
http://www.s e t x sports.com/forum/index.php?topic=82827.0

Wow! Im kinda wondering where they got THEIR info from. He's never coached in SE Texas. I know there were folks in LM unhappy with him, but hell, there were folks unhappy with Erwin after his last season(15-1 state champs) and were happy to see him go. It's crazy there.
He won at Refugio, had an average season at LM, and pretty much maintained the status quo out at Post(don't remember them being very successful in recent history).

Johnny Utah
04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Coached in the State Finals in 01 and state Qtr finals in 02 as the OC in Sinton. As a head coach his teams have made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years I believe. He can coach, period.

1st and goal
04-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Coached in the State Finals in 01 and state Qtr finals in 02 as the OC in Sinton. As a head coach his teams have made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years I believe. He can coach, period.
Good to read. I'm already excited about this year's team. Cant wait until late August.

griff
04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Wow! Im kinda wondering where they got THEIR info from. He's never coached in SE Texas. I know there were folks in LM unhappy with him, but hell, there were folks unhappy with Erwin after his last season(15-1 state champs) and were happy to see him go. It's crazy there.
He won at Refugio, had an average season at LM, and pretty much maintained the status quo out at Post(don't remember them being very successful in recent history).

At the setx site you referred to, there are two rabid posters who spoke about this. It wasn't "the site" stating/mis-stating details about the new head coach. Lord knows no one would ever post any false information on this site. Sheesh! :rolleyes: :hand:

Ernest T Bass
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
At the setx site you referred to, there are two rabid posters who spoke about this. It wasn't "the site" stating/mis-stating details about the new head coach. Lord knows no one would ever post any false information on this site. Sheesh! :rolleyes: :hand:

That's who I meant by "they". You must have a problem with reading comprehension. That's the 2nd time you've done that today, that I know of.

Torch Bearer
04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
What made Giddings hard to beat was the fact that they ran an offense that you do not see every week. If they run spread and wing t, I think Caldwell runs wingT/Slot T, and Navasota, Smithville, and La Grange all run spread. It may be fun for the crowds of Giddings to watch a different offense but I can promise you the other coaches in the district are glad to see the option offense off of their schedule due to the fact that it is hard to prepare for in one week. The playing field just got a little more balanced regardless of how good a coach he is.

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 10:47 AM
What made Giddings hard to beat was the fact that they ran an offense that you do not see every week. If they run spread and wing t, I think Caldwell runs wingT/Slot T, and Navasota, Smithville, and La Grange all run spread. It may be fun for the crowds of Giddings to watch a different offense but I can promise you the other coaches in the district are glad to see the option offense off of their schedule due to the fact that it is hard to prepare for in one week. The playing field just got a little more balanced regardless of how good a coach he is.

"Spread" is a very generic term. All it means is 1 rb with no TE. You can run lots of stuff out of it, including midline option, which was Fitz's staple.

warda
04-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Torch, I totally agree with you. Trying to simulate the flex bone in practice is impossible if you don't run it. Bass, you can obviously still run the midline from shotgun, but it hits so much faster under center, and that is what made the Giddings offense so hard to stop.

Ernest T Bass
04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by warda
Torch, I totally agree with you. Trying to simulate the flex bone in practice is impossible if you don't run it. Bass, you can obviously still run the midline from shotgun, but it hits so much faster under center, and that is what made the Giddings offense so hard to stop.

You can be under center in "the spread". Besides, it's not the midline play itself that makes it so dangerous. It's the threat of it that opens up so many other things.
The point Im making is, the Buffs will be fine under Jones.

warda
04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Sure, they will be just fine. They always have a great mix of hard-working kids. My point is that the flexbone offense is a very difficult offense to stop, if it is run correctly. And Giddings did a great job of running that offense, and not many people ever stopped them. I think what I want to say is that all things being equal, a well-run flexbone offense is harder to stop than a well-run "spread" offense, because you don't see it as much and it is harder to simulate.

Old Tiger
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy
he has been a wing-t and a spread guy....he has mixed it up and done great.

on defense look for a split/4-2-5 scheme defense will be about the same then....

griff
04-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
That's who I meant by "they". You must have a problem with reading comprehension. That's the 2nd time you've done that today, that I know of.

Sorry...honest mistake, but the other one you're referring to was not. You misunderstood that. No big deal.

1st and goal
04-09-2011, 05:52 PM

You type words of truth and wisdom. Its just that when we got beat, it was due to the opposing D cramming 11 kids in the box with absolutely no respect for the pass. If only, we could have thrown a pass on 1st and 10, a back or TE would just slip past the the D and catch a pass once in a while to keep the linebackers honest, it would have really opened up the game. The opponents have played us for years now and are somewhat accustomed to our offense. IMO, we have beaten most of them with sheer talent as much as the type of offense. (My opinion) When we have been beaten, (Sealy, Navasota for example), I feel because they had shut our offense down by cramming the box and we didn't respond by passing until it was too late (3rd and long). Caldwell beat us last year by doing exactly what I'm trying to say, they had an effective passing game from their slot t offense that burned us badly in the 3rd quarter.

Anyhow, What do all of you think about how the chips will fall in district now? What are y'alls predictions?

Additup
04-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Its just that when we got beat, it was due to the opposing D cramming 11 kids in the box
Nope. From what i saw it was the same reason most good teams lose - turnovers in those games.
Parents, fans and people in the stands wanna see the football in the air because that's where it's easiest to follow the play. The incomplete pass is the most exciting play in football and entertainment is more important than winning -until you start losing. In HS football balanced offenses = balanced win/loss records. Be careful parroting what ESPN talking heads say on Saturday and Sunday.
Every opposing coach on your schedule is glad you're changing offenses, too - but it's for a COMPLETELY different reason.

1st and goal
04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Additup
Nope. From what i saw it was the same reason most good teams lose - turnovers in those games.
Parents, fans and people in the stands wanna see the football in the air because that's where it's easiest to follow the play. The incomplete pass is the most exciting play in football and entertainment is more important than winning -until you start losing. In HS football balanced offenses = balanced win/loss records. Be careful parroting what ESPN talking heads say on Saturday and Sunday.
Every opposing coach on your schedule is glad you're changing offenses, too - but it's for a COMPLETELY different reason.
Yep. Turnovers when you can't make a 1st down on 4th and 5.

Johnny Utah
04-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I think some are missing the point. Coach Jones will evaluate what he has and adjust his offense and defensive systems to put kids in the right positions and formations and plays. He is a leader and mentor first, builder and winner will come from that. Opposing coaches will be nervous because they won't know what to expect. It is not what you run that is the difference, it's the execution of what you run. Watched Sinton run the spread and in some games they never threw the ball. They ran it right down peoples throats due to the defense and won big. Spread is very multiple. Heck, it's all those offenses wrapped up into one... The QB just happens to be in the gun. Wait, you will see.

Johnny Utah
04-10-2011, 09:32 AM
And Old Tiger, I love me some Blue and Gold!! But, they better hang on!!! Lol

Additup
04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Yep. Turnovers when you can't make a 1st down on 4th and 5.
Giddings wasn't in 4th and 5 near enough as far as I'm concerned...I'm not a fan of the previous coach, but the offense had great schemes and o-line play. If it looked like just a "dustcloud and a pile" from the cheap seats, it's a lot more complicated from an opposing coach's view. Pretty sure lots of good DC's started with "let's just put 11 in the box" and realized it still might take 12. If it were that easy, a lot of other teams would have beat Giddings the past few years.

Change is exciting and I'm sure Coach Jones will do a great job.

hookandladder
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM

La Grange will not be in the spread next year, going to the PRO offense.Will have a huge O Line next year and returning QB and both RB's, will be a lot more balanced offense.

Torch Bearer
04-10-2011, 02:51 PM
La Grange going to a pro offense? The ex coaches there were going to change away from the spread and people got upset, I guess they also knew a change was needed. La Grange has a big o line on the way, going to a pro will help cut the interceptions down and allow the defense to rest a little bit with a more ball controlled offense. I think the leps will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Giddings, Navasota and La Grange will be the pre district favorites. When Caldwell hires we should have an idea if they will keep the slot t. Anyway you put it, the district is tough and every week will be a war.

hookandladder
04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
La Grange going to a pro offense? The ex coaches there were going to change away from the spread and people got upset, I guess they also knew a change was needed. La Grange has a big o line on the way, going to a pro will help cut the interceptions down and allow the defense to rest a little bit with a more ball controlled offense. I think the leps will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Giddings, Navasota and La Grange will be the pre district favorites. When Caldwell hires we should have an idea if they will keep the slot t. Anyway you put it, the district is tough and every week will be a war.

Yes indeed , with not be able to run the ball last year it put to much pressure on the passing game. If we would have had any running game last year , things may have turned out different. The balanced offense is what wins championships, not passing the ball 30 to 45 times. Defense will need to step up this year, with a good group of JV players moving up the future looks bright. Our new coach loves to run the ball, look for that to happen this year with the entire backfield back from last year.

Ernest T Bass
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
The great thing about a pro-style offense, is you have the ability to go the spread if you need to. Multipicity and simplicity, all in one.

Torch Bearer
04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Is the same coordinator at LG going to be there next year? He was a spread Guy from the metroplex who liked to throw the ball a lot. I guess with a WR like Wilkerson it is hard not to try and throw. The Columbus coach went back to the pro I and did well.

Johnny Utah
04-10-2011, 07:41 PM
You have to be versatile in high school. District race should be fun.

Additup
04-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Yes indeed , with not be able to run the ball last year it put to much pressure on the passing game... The balanced offense is what wins championships, not passing the ball 30 to 45 times.
Last time LG won a state championship in football, they weren't very balanced.

Ernest T Bass
04-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Good point, but the game has evolved since then.
However, another group of athletes like that and it probably wouldn't matter too much what you run.

hookandladder
04-10-2011, 10:25 PM

The offense may have not been 50 50 however we did have Tye Gunn who could throw it as well as run it, the same will be this year. The year we won State with Coach V , we could have passed it just as successful. We had 2 very talented classes when we won it, runnerup State Champions the next year. Our OC from last year is still here, they are very excited about the coming years. Lots of talent coming up for the next few years, have a kid that will be a freshman next year that may see action next year. The kid can fly, in 2 years he will be the main man.