PDA

View Full Version : sahen

coach
03-29-2011, 11:40 PM
and all other Baylor fans...

Is this a disappointed year in Baylor athletics?

Football does not meet up to potential imo

Boys basketball....we all know what happened their

Girls Bball...I thought they should have won it all this year if not lost to uconn in the finals.

Would this be considered a down year or an underachieving year for the Bears?

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by coach
and all other Baylor fans...

Is this a disappointed year in Baylor athletics?

Football does not meet up to potential imo

Boys basketball....we all know what happened their

Girls Bball...I thought they should have won it all this year if not lost to uconn in the finals.

Would this be considered a down year or an underachieving year for the Bears? too soon? haha

coach
03-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
too soon? haha

I was not trying to be a jerk. I wanted an honest opinion of a Baylor fan. IMO I would say all underachieved, but I want to hear there take on the matter

sahen
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
football: it was a disappointing ending to the year but we went to our first bowl game and had our first winning season in 15 years...really hard to call what is the best baylor team in 15 years a complete disappointment...sure we want to do better and win 10+ games or whatever like anyone else but you have to be realistic and take it one step at a time esp considering how absolutely horrible we were...so to say it was a complete disappointment would not be true, but the way the year ended was a bit disappointing...

men's basketball: probably the most disappointing Baylor team i have witnessed...never did we expect so much yet got so little...no doubt that they were a huge disappointment this year...plus this year was as bad off the court with Dunn and the Jones deal as it was on...i wish we had a reset button

women's basketball: it was disappointing for the season to end in the elite 8 to a team we had beat 3 times already, but to call a season where the team was 34-3 including a big 12 regular season and tournament title disappointing is a bit much...i feel like we just got a tough draw and faced the only number 2 seed that had a chance to beat us in the elite 8...the game we played was pretty disappointing but it is not like we lost to some scrub team that sucks by playing a horrible game...the Aggie women are a great team and they have a real shot to win it all...also, baylor's team this year was extremely young with only 1 senior that gets playing time, i will be disappointed if they do not win a title in the next 2 years...

anyway, it is complicated to answer the underachieve question though....football obviously has the talent to do more but a lot of them are younger and they are making obvious improvements so i guess in a way they underachieved but considering the fact that they made a bowl game and we are considering that underachieving is great progress for us...men's basketball definitely underachieved and women's basketball i felt were a final 4 team, but i also felt that the aggie women were as well...i dont really think the women's team underachieved as much as they played another final 4 team a round too soon...

in the end, i guess most baylor fans are upset about the results this year...while football had its' best season in 15 years and women's basketball had one of their better ones as well both of them left us desiring a bit more while men's basketball was just embarassing...

on another note we still have baseball season going and we are looking alright in that this year though we were really expecting nothing...so maybe they will keep it up and give us an overachieving team...if you count the lesser watched sports of softball, tennis, and track towards the overall program then we may end up ok...Baylor always has had much stronger spring sports than fall and winter sports and the spring sports are just getting going good...

coach
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree 100% on everything you said. I just wanted a baylor's fan perspective

trojandad
03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
i bet mulkey has griner watching the tape of the game last night all summer....with connecticut graduating moore, i believe the two strong teams next year willbe a&m and baylor, with baylor having a decided edge....wouldnt surprise me one bit that this loss puts a fire in griner's belly and she wins the next two nat'l titles.....

navscanmaster
03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by trojandad
i bet mulkey has griner watching the tape of the game last night all summer....with connecticut graduating moore, i believe the two strong teams next year willbe a&m and baylor, with baylor having a decided edge....wouldnt surprise me one bit that this loss puts a fire in griner's belly and she wins the next two nat'l titles.....

I dunno about Baylor having a decided edge. Sure, Griner and Sims will be a year older, but A&M has Kelsey Bone starting after her transfer, not to mention the stellar recruiting class coming in. They have 6'7" Rachel Mitchell, the #3 Center from Atascocita, Tori Scott, the #5 guard from Marrero, LA, and Alexia Standish, the #5 PG from Colleylle. They will lose Danielle Adams and Sydney Colson to graduation, but with the talent and size they have replacing them and returning Karla Gilbert, Tyra White, and Sydney Carter, A&M has what should be the most talented team in the nation. And I don't even think it is close. Baylor plays Griner for over 30 minutes of every game. The talent around her is also great, but A&M now has a trio of nationally ranked women to guard her (6'5" Bone, 6'5" Gilbert, and 6'7" Mitchell) as well as returning all the above mentioned starters and underclassmen. Not saying Baylor can't compete with them, because the track record of the last few years speaks otherwise, but next year is no "decided" edge for Baylor.

sahen
03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Aggies outstanding recruits will be fish while Baylor's former fantastic class (i believe number 1 as well but not sure) will be juniors that have been to a final 4, an elite 8, and won a big 12 season/tourney title....experience should give them a decided edge next year as A&M will be in the same boat that Baylor was in this year with the young players...depends on how quickly they develop if it will still be an edge in 2 years...regardless the games should remain close...

all this is speculation though...in basketball one knee injury and you go from top 5 to out of the top 25...

coach
03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
if griner does not win a nc at her four years at baylor then IMO her career is a bust

Saggy Aggie
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
A&M and Baylor should both be pre-season top 5.

trojandad
03-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I dunno about Baylor having a decided edge. Sure, Griner and Sims will be a year older, but A&M has Kelsey Bone starting after her transfer, not to mention the stellar recruiting class coming in. They have 6'7" Rachel Mitchell, the #3 Center from Atascocita, Tori Scott, the #5 guard from Marrero, LA, and Alexia Standish, the #5 PG from Colleylle. They will lose Danielle Adams and Sydney Colson to graduation, but with the talent and size they have replacing them and returning Karla Gilbert, Tyra White, and Sydney Carter, A&M has what should be the most talented team in the nation. And I don't even think it is close. Baylor plays Griner for over 30 minutes of every game. The talent around her is also great, but A&M now has a trio of nationally ranked women to guard her (6'5" Bone, 6'5" Gilbert, and 6'7" Mitchell) as well as returning all the above mentioned starters and underclassmen. Not saying Baylor can't compete with them, because the track record of the last few years speaks otherwise, but next year is no "decided" edge for Baylor.

i definitely believe a&m will be able to compete with baylor the next two years, possibly be able to beat them, what i believe will happen is griner will learn more of where her comfort zone is and will be able to see with games like this that when she is just outside this zone she needs to learn how to kick the ball out better.....kicking it out is just not a natural part of her game as of yet, but i bet this game will help her to see it needs to be a part of it....

and i don't feel baylor will have a "decided edge", i just said if they won two titles it wouldn't surprise me, still wouldnt.....if griner learns more of how to trust her teammates, she'll be tough.....she's just gotta learn that lesson, the same one all the greats have to learn.....

sahen
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
i definitely believe a&m will be able to compete with baylor the next two years, possibly be able to beat them, what i believe will happen is griner will learn more of where her comfort zone is and will be able to see with games like this that when she is just outside this zone she needs to learn how to kick the ball out better.....kicking it out is just not a natural part of her game as of yet, but i bet this game will help her to see it needs to be a part of it....

and i don't feel baylor will have a "decided edge", i just said if they won two titles it wouldn't surprise me, still wouldnt.....if griner learns more of how to trust her teammates, she'll be tough.....she's just gotta learn that lesson, the same one all the greats have to learn.....

Griner did a good job kicking the ball out this year...if your going by the last game then that isn't fair, she tried to get her team mates to take shots but they wouldnt take them...for us to win a title we have to have more than Griner, she is a beast but you cant have games like we had against A&M where you only hit one 3 and that was with like 1 minute left...last year we lost in the final 4 because of that but that was who we were...this year we had plenty of good outside shooting all year but none of them showed up in the A&M game and they looked scared to take the shot...

sahen
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
if griner does not win a nc at her four years at baylor then IMO her career is a bust

Griner can't win it all by herself...in my opinion her career wouldnt be a bust if she keeps playing and progressing like she has the past 2 years, but the class that came in with her be a bust if they dont get one...having Griner inside makes all the other players jobs so much easier, but they have to step up and take advantage of that...i think this is all moot though as long as Sims can play at the level she showed for most of the season, with both Sims and Griner they should win a title...you could probably make a good argument they should win the next 2, but we wont know what other schools have until they get on the court next year and the year after...

trojandad
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Griner did a good job kicking the ball out this year...if your going by the last game then that isn't fair, she tried to get her team mates to take shots but they wouldnt take them...for us to win a title we have to have more than Griner, she is a beast but you cant have games like we had against A&M where you only hit one 3 and that was with like 1 minute left...last year we lost in the final 4 because of that but that was who we were...this year we had plenty of good outside shooting all year but none of them showed up in the A&M game and they looked scared to take the shot...

ill have to take your word on her kicking the ball, cause in the 3 games i saw her against a&m, one against ok state and one against tech i didnt see her kick it once in any game....its entirely understandable when youve been the one everyone throws it to for a score, but its gonna have to become more second nature to her for her to have the offense flow better....id still take her, all else considered.....

trojandad
03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
and btw, kicking the ball doesn't always mean throwing it to a 3 pt shooter, the old "eddie sutton" offense would throw the ball in to his dominant center, then dump the ball behind the double team that would come to the empty space immediately behind the center.....i watched in the last game where griner would receive the ball and would have jones cut in behind her underneath the basket but griner had already gone into scoring mode with her head down.....teams arent going to be able to cover griner, the 3 pt line AND the gap behind griner in the paint for some princeton-type offense cutters.....

sahen
03-31-2011, 09:22 PM
and btw, kicking the ball doesn't always mean throwing it to a 3 pt shooter, the old "eddie sutton" offense would throw the ball in to his dominant center, then dump the ball behind the double team that would come to the empty space immediately behind the center.....i watched in the last game where griner would receive the ball and would have jones cut in behind her underneath the basket but griner had already gone into scoring mode with her head down.....teams arent going to be able to cover griner, the 3 pt line AND the gap behind griner in the paint for some princeton-type offense cutters.....

she did that all year...she had games where she didnt do it as much or the rare game where it didnt happen at all but we killed teams doing this all year...why it didnt happen the other night i dont know...

trojandad
04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by sahen
she did that all year...she had games where she didnt do it as much or the rare game where it didnt happen at all but we killed teams doing this all year...why it didnt happen the other night i dont know...

according to the baylor website, griner had 35 assists in 35 games in 2010, making a 1 assist/game avg.....for this year she had a total of 51 assists in 37 games, making a 1.38 assist/game average, she, in fact, had 11 games where she didn't have a single assist, almost a third of her games that year, definitely not a stat showing she kicked the ball to an open shooter very well or on a norm, ESPECIALLY considering the quality of shooters she has to kick it to.....

in a game against oklahoma she had a season high of 5 assists, and in that game, they routed what turned out to be a very good oklahoma team, im completely convinced if she averaged at least 5 a game she'd keep other teams honest.....

btw, in looking at those stats i did see where i missed her getting an assist against a&m one game, so i stand corrected that she got no assists against the aggies......