PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new Android...

Ernest T Bass
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
And I have no idea what to do with it!!!!

Tx Challenge
03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Thought you were an Iphone guy. I have a droid. It suits my needs

Yoe_09
03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
And I have no idea what to do with it!!!!

Good choice. What did you get?

Ernest T Bass
03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
I was an Iphone guy, but guy at Best Buy talked me into the HTC Inspire. Of course, now Im lost!

Tx Challenge
03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Just a learning curve my friend. Droids are awesome

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Ip4 is the business

Ernest T Bass
03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
This one does more and is $100 cheaper.

Yoe_09
03-29-2011, 11:07 PM

That is right :clap:

PPHSfan
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Not

Ernest T Bass
03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Not

WHat does it not do that the I4 does?
Also, does anyone know how to check the friggin' voice mail on this damned thing?

coach
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
WHat does it not do that the I4 does?
Also, does anyone know how to check the friggin' voice mail on this damned thing?

well at least iphone user know how to actually work theirs lol

Ernest T Bass
03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by coach
well at least iphone user know how to actually work theirs lol

Took me about 3 weeks with the Iphone too.

Tx Challenge
03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
I have said this before. I spend 70% of my time in Los Angeles. My wife had an Iphone. Loved it in Austin. It was a POS here. Slow, and dropped calls. Internet was suspect. Did I mention slow? I have a motorola droid thru Verizon. It works both places. She switched also and is happy. I liked the Iphone a lot. We are locked in now with no upgrades for a few months. No way I will pay full price. Stupid..It all depends on how good service is in YOUR area. We like androids better. Both of our cars are bluetooth so we take full advantage of that. So far I have not found any apps that one has over the other that we actually use. Iphones, are more user friendly to me because most of my work is on a mac. The key is what works for you and your needs. Droids are less confined than the Apple phones. I know because of service we wont be going back to ATT. I hear the Verizon Iphone does not allow surfing and talking at the same time. IDK, that is no issue as I dont do that anyway, but to some it would be a deal breaker.
I give the iphone its props. Still it is what it is. A phone! Once in a car, I like the droid and its google intergration better.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 05:55 AM
The things I was sold on:

Droid is compatable with microsoft apps and flash player
I dont have ANY Apple hardware
The droid is a 4g phone
Faster processor
plus, $100 cheaper.
Also, better camera and screen on the droid, although those weren't big selling points to me.
So, Im seriously asking, what does the Ip4 do that Im missing out on, other than additional storage space? The learning curve is pissing me off, so it wouldn't be hard to convince me to take it back and pay the extra $100 for the Ip4.

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Crystal and I went with Samsung Captivates and one week in love the phones. So glad we went Droid

PPHSfan
03-30-2011, 07:56 AM
The iPhone is a Mac. It is a computer with software that upgrades. In other words the iPhone 3GS runs exactly the same software as the iPhone 4. So a phone purchased three years ago is still just as kick ass and up to date three years later. Macs don't get viruses. Seems funny to me that Droid has "evolved" with a better phone six times in the last 18 months and a three year old iPhone is still spanking em in performance. But don't take my word for it. I don't have a vested intrest in which one you choose, unlike the kid who sold you on the Droid.

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2011, 08:02 AM
The iPhone is a Mac. It is a computer with software that upgrades. In other words the iPhone 3GS runs exactly the same software as the iPhone 4. So a phone purchased three years ago is still just as kick ass and up to date three years later. Macs don't get viruses. Seems funny to me that Droid has "evolved" with a better phone six times in the last 18 months and a three year old iPhone is still spanking em in performance. But don't take my word for it. I don't have a vested intrest in which one you choose, unlike the kid who sold you on the Droid.

Really not a true comparison..Iphone is Mac, there is no other phone running Mac

Android is run on many different phones, but updates are still there for Android users when they are avaliable.

RoyceTTU
03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
It's really user preference. This is my best shot at explaining it.

If you want to take it out of the box and it works with no problems but has limits, but is easy, IPhone all the way.

If you want to tinker, maximize performance, constantly play with gadgets, have a faster processor, enjoy google tools. Droid is the way to go.

Having said that, if your with ATT, IPhone is the way to go, because ATT still has many of the Droid open source apps blocked. They have strategically done this to keep promoting the Iphone. This may change soon now that they have lost their Iphone exclusive.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
So, far things that took one step on my Iphone take 3 on the droid. Im not liking all the customization, either. But, I get unlimited calls to other moble phones on any carrier, the phone is $100 cheaper, and is a 4g. Plus, the guy who sold it to me also had one. I tend to listen to people who also own the same thing.

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
So, far things that took one step on my Iphone take 3 on the droid. Im not liking all the customization, either. But, I get unlimited calls to other moble phones on any carrier, the phone is $100 cheaper, and is a 4g. Plus, the guy who sold it to me also had one. I tend to listen to people who also own the same thing.

What kind of things are you wanting to do that are taking you longer?

What platform is it running? (2.1, 2.2, 2.3?)

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What kind of things are you wanting to do that are taking you longer?

What platform is it running? (2.1, 2.2, 2.3?)

It's just not very user friendly, but that's probably just the learning curve.
Platform? Huh?
Im not real technologically inclined.

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
It's just not very user friendly, but that's probably just the learning curve.
Platform? Huh?
Im not real technologically inclined.

Did it come stock with Froyo? Gingerbread? (Those are the names of the platforms, kind of like Windows XP, Vista, 7)

BwdLion73
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I have an old flip phone....I can make and receive calls...:D :D

Farmersfan
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
I dropped my 3G Iphone in the water at the boat ramp about 3 weeks ago. After about 5 minutes of searching for it I found it, fished it out and put it in my boat glovebox thinking I just earned the new 4G Iphone........:D :D
After a day of fishing I took the phone out of my boat to head home and turned it back on and it has worked non-stop since. That's 5 full minutes submerged in 3' of water. I'm convinced.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Did it come stock with Froyo? Gingerbread? (Those are the names of the platforms, kind of like Windows XP, Vista, 7)

HUH?

So, do I need an antivirus for this damned thing?

PPHSfan
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
HUH?

Just remember. Macs don't get viruses.

Ranger Mom
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73

LOL!! My husband had an available upgrade on his phone, so I made him retire his wore out flip phone.

He now has a brand new flip phone and his text font is bigger and shows a continuous flow of the back and forth text messages, he's a happy camper.

But.....I can't upgrade my package any higher without going to some kind of smart phone, and I can't with that flip phone on my plan!!

Oh well.....he's happy, so that's fine with me!!!

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM

That's why I asked that question.

Blastoderm55
03-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73

Ha-hah! I've got this one. It's got a crack on the screen and I have the battery taped to it. I get about a month average battery life per charge.

http://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/images/nokia-6020-pay-as-you-go-mobile-phone-400.jpg

I'm not paying for a fancy phone. For what? To check Tweet and play Angry Birds? Why not just throw away my money. :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Ha-hah! I've got this one. It's got a crack on the screen and I have the battery taped to it. I get about a month average battery life per charge.

http://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/images/nokia-6020-pay-as-you-go-mobile-phone-400.jpg

I'm not paying for a fancy phone. For what? To check Tweet and play Angry Birds? Why not just throw away my money. :rolleyes:

most plans have upgrades that are basically free..my wife and I both got a smartphone with no money out of pocket

Blastoderm55
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
most plans have upgrades that are basically free..my wife and I both got a smartphone with no money out of pocket

I'm more concerned about the monthly bill. Right now I pay $15. :D

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I like my ip4 because I can call any cell phone in the country for free, any provider (same with ETB apparently).

Idk, I just like the iphone because of how easy it is to operate. Everything runs smoothly. I can listen to music while i do whatever else i want. I know you can do this from practically any other phone but no phone makes it as easy as itunes/iphone does.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
I like my ip4 because I can call any cell phone in the country for free, any provider (same with ETB apparently).

I was under the impression that this was a Droid thing.
Hmm, Im seriously considering taking it back and paying the extra $100 for the Ip4. Im really not liking it thus far.

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I was under the impression that this was a Droid thing.
Hmm, Im seriously considering taking it back and paying the extra $100 for the Ip4. Im really not liking it thus far. I think its a verizon iphone4 thing. AT&T doesn't do it.

With Verizon you'll also get unlimited data. but you wont be able to surf the web while you make calls.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I think its a verizon iphone4 thing. AT&T doesn't do it.

With Verizon you'll also get unlimited data. but you wont be able to surf the web while you make calls.

Hmmm, well, it's on ATT with the Droid. Wonder if I can get it with the IP4

PPHSfan
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Hmmm, well, it's on ATT with the Droid. Wonder if I can get it with the IP4

Yes

Ranger Mom
03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a plain jane phone from Sprint and my plan has unlimited calling to any other cellphone provider. I have had that plan for about 3 years now. I figured that "option" was pretty wide spread!

I have 4 phones on my plan and we share 1500 minutes. We very seldom go over 400 because we mainly call other cell phones.

Almost everyone I see with an I-phone/Droid, etc, spends SO MUCH time on the phone.....I personally like living my life away from all that!!

Anyone that knows me knows if you can't get hold of me to call my husband. I never have my phone with me.

Blastoderm55
03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Almost everyone I see with an I-phone/Droid, etc, spends SO MUCH time on the phone.....I personally like living my life away from all that!!

My wife has an Iphone and the thing drives me nuts. Right now she's got a corneatic ulcer in her right eye and can barely seen, yet she's still glued to that damn tiny screen. Oh well, its pay back for me being on the boards like they're crack during football season. :D

Buckeye1980
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I have a Blackberry Curve and my wife has a Blackberry Torch and we are totally happy with both. As far as paying for phones, every year one of our phones are elgible for upgrades and we hvae not been out of pocket for a new phone in5 years, jus upgrade every year. We checked about changing price plans but the ATT rep told me we need to stay on plan we have cause it is not offered anymore and if we change we could not get it back. We currently have about 3000 rollover minutes and if we change would lose the rollover minutes.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Right now, Im debating sticking it out with the droid and hope it's just a learning curve, or taking it back and shelling out an extra $100+.

Emerson1
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes they do. Stop talking about computers unless you know how to boot to safe mode.

Ranger Mom
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Right now, Im debating sticking it out with the droid and hope it's just a learning curve, or taking it back and shelling out an extra $100+.

LOL!! So basically, you still have no clue what you are gonna do!!

Emerson1
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
and I highly doubt the screen is better then the ip4.

Ernest T Bass
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
LOL!! So basically, you still have no clue what you are gonna do!!

'zactly. Ive had it less than 24 hours, though.

PPHSfan
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Yes they do. Stop talking about computers unless you know how to boot to safe mode. Lol

PPHSfan
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I have a Blackberry Curve and my wife has a Blackberry Torch and we are totally happy with both. As far as paying for phones, every year one of our phones are elgible for upgrades and we hvae not been out of pocket for a new phone in5 years, jus upgrade every year. We checked about changing price plans but the ATT rep told me we need to stay on plan we have cause it is not offered anymore and if we change we could not get it back. We currently have about 3000 rollover minutes and if we change would lose the rollover minutes.

I loved my blackberry curve, right up to the day the infra red cursor quit and I traded it for an iPhone. I can't believe I ever thought my blackberry ruled.

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
HUH?

If you want to use the phone to look at erm..questionable...sites that normally cause viruses on a computer, then probably.

If you plan to download third-party apps not certified in the Android Market (like going to random dude's blog and downloading his "super" app,), then yes.

Viruses aren't a big issue at this point, but you can get them if you set yourself up for them.

One thing that I HIGHLY recommend is downloading Juice Defender from the Android Marketplace. It deactivates your data and doesn't let programs connect with the internet while you've got the phone in sleep mode. You'll still be able to get calls and texts, and it will check for email every 15 minutes (or whatever level you set it at, but 15 is the minimum for the free version). I installed it two weeks ago because my battery was lasting just about a day to day and a half after a full charge, but since I downloaded it, my battery now lasts 3-4 days with the same amount of usage that I had before.

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I loved my blackberry curve, right up to the day the infra red cursor quit and I traded it for an iPhone. I can't believe I ever thought my blackberry ruled. Lol yeah, I'm not sure how I was ever happy with a phone til the ip4. I realize now what I had been missing. Not to mention, I never had an iPod before either so now I got the phone plus the iPod for free it feels like. So happy I got the 'life changer' as me and my friends like to call it. :)

Ranger Mom
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
So happy I got the 'life changer' as me and my friends like to call it. :)

Wow! That's just sad to me!!

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow! That's just sad to me!! Lol it's a joke, but I wouldn't expect old people to understand.

BwdLion73
03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Lol it's a joke, but I wouldn't expect old people to understand.

I can remember when it was important to add that 100 watt booster to my 40 watt "Craig Power Play 8 Track":D

Things will change for you someday. Enjoy, I don't blame you just dont need it. ;)

big daddy russ
03-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Yes they do. Stop talking about computers unless you know how to boot to safe mode.
I've had a Mac almost four years now. Plenty of "questionable" sites back in the day. Nothing yet.

They may get viruses. But it's about as common as a an attractive girl named Helga.

Pendragon13
03-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Just remember. Macs don't get viruses. It's amazing how many people think Apple products run on magic and fairy dust.:doh:

There are already viruses written specifically for the Mac operating system, and there will be more if the user base continues to grow. Most virus writers don't waste their time writing things that won't reach the max number of users..

PPHSfan
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
It's amazing how many people think Apple products run on magic and fairy dust.:doh:

There are already viruses written specifically for the Mac operating system, and there will be more if the user base continues to grow. Most virus writers don't waste their time writing things that won't reach the max number of users..

No. All of the people smart enough to write code use macs. And they don't poop in their own yard. :D

Pendragon13
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
No. All of the people smart enough to write code use macs. And they don't poop in their own yard. :D Uh, no...the vast majority of hackers and virus writers are anarchist Mac haters and would never confine themselves to the Apple universe unless there is something to gain. And of course you already established there isn't anything to gain since "Macs don't get viruses":D

Pendragon13
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Also, many Mac fanatics would be shocked and saddened to learn that Apple got out of the computer hardware business years ago. How many realize that their precious macbooks are made in the same third world countries as most Dells, Compaqs, Gateways etc...and in many case even the same factory with the same interrnal parts? The Macs just get a different casing, some proprietary design features and a different operating system. THAT'S IT!

oh, and a higher pricetag as well.:D I'll admit that Apple products are pretty cool and drive the rest of the industry forward....but the only magic spells being performed are in the marketing department.;)

big daddy russ
03-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Uh, no...the vast majority of hackers and virus writers are anarchist Mac haters and would never confine themselves to the Apple universe unless there is something to gain. And of course you already established there isn't anything to gain since "Macs don't get viruses":D
Been three years with no malware protection and I'm still good. :p I've never reloaded my OS I've never had a virus or spyware.

Don't get me wrong. I still have a PC for my desktop, and think they're just fine for certain jobs. Actually, my PC's much more powerful (hardware-wise) than my Mac. And my Mac still smokes it.

Back in 2006, I built my desktop. You seem pretty tech savvy, so I'll speak my "nerd" to you. :D

It has an 2.4 GHz AMD Opteron dual core processor, top of the line Asus motherboard, 4 GB of low latency DDR2 RAM, and 400 GB RAID 1 HD's. Everything I could get back in 2006 to make it a more stable machine. And I never use Internet Explorer. Always use Firefox to prevent crashes and slowdowns.

And my underpowered Macbook with only 2 gigs of high latency DDR2 RAM can outwork my power machine all day everyday. And I've never done a lick of maintenance. Never even reloaded my OS in three years.

Sidenote: my Macbook is actually only three years old (purchased Spring '08). I thought it was four. My bad.

I still do a spyware/virus sweep, disc defrag, and disc cleanup once a week on my desktop and have to reload Windows every eight months or so.

I'm telling you, this Mac is a dream. I'm multitasking on it right now with five browser windows and at least ten tabs on each open. Not to mention Adobe Reader, MS Excel, and ITunes. And all these windows have been open for over a week straight. I've never turned it off, I just close the case, let it sleep, and it's ready to go the second I open it up. Almost zero lag between bringing it back from sleep mode (with all those programs running) and actually using it. There's generally a "thinking" period on my desktop, which is why I shut down everything before I stop using it.

You're right....the hardware is all the same. Actually, it's inferior in Macs. Especially if you have an old Motorola CPU in your Mac. But the software.... oh, the software is the stuff of dreams.

I love this Mac. Doesn't mean I think everyone has a use for a $1000 computer. 90% of computer users are just fine with a basic $300 computer to surf the web and type documents. But I got my Macbook for $699 refurbished, and if you're trying to decide between a $600 PC or a $699 Mac, you won't regret switching over. Save money on repairs, don't worry about maintaining your computer (which, if you're computer illiterate is golden), it'll last longer, and the service is incredible.

big daddy russ
03-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
...and the service is incredible.
BTW, it's three years later on a refurbed Macbook that only had a year warranty and has been beat to hell. Two weeks ago, my dog chewed up my power cord. There goes $75.

!%#!@&*!

"Call the Mac Store," my beautiful, patient wife tells me.

Two hours later, I'm walking out of the store with a new power cord. No questions asked.

I can't say enough about the service.

PPHSfan
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't care how brainwashed, ignorant, or stupid I am. And I don't care if my MacBook has inferior parts left over from the cold war in it, or if it was assembled in a banana republic. It kicks the crap out of every pc I have or have ever owned. And I have Never had a virus. And it runs just as fast today, as the day I got it. And I go everywhere with it. So call me a tard if you want. I wouldn't trade mine for any pc on the market.

Pendragon13
03-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Been three years with no malware protection and I'm still good. :p I've never reloaded my OS I've never had a virus or spyware.

Don't get me wrong. I still have a PC for my desktop, and think they're just fine for certain jobs. Actually, my PC's much more powerful (hardware-wise) than my Mac. And my Mac still smokes it.

Back in 2006, I built my desktop. You seem pretty tech savvy, so I'll speak my "nerd" to you. :D

It has an 2.4 GHz AMD Opteron dual core processor, top of the line Asus motherboard, 4 GB of low latency DDR2 RAM, and 400 GB RAID 1 HD's. Everything I could get back in 2006 to make it a more stable machine. And I never use Internet Explorer. Always use Firefox to prevent crashes and slowdowns.

And my underpowered Macbook with only 2 gigs of high latency DDR2 RAM can outwork my power machine all day everyday. And I've never done a lick of maintenance. Never even reloaded my OS in three years.

Sidenote: my Macbook is actually only three years old (purchased Spring '08). I thought it was four. My bad.

I still do a spyware/virus sweep, disc defrag, and disc cleanup once a week on my desktop and have to reload Windows every eight months or so.

I'm telling you, this Mac is a dream. I'm multitasking on it right now with five browser windows and at least ten tabs on each open. Not to mention Adobe Reader, MS Excel, and ITunes. And all these windows have been open for over a week straight. I've never turned it off, I just close the case, let it sleep, and it's ready to go the second I open it up. Almost zero lag between bringing it back from sleep mode (with all those programs running) and actually using it. There's generally a "thinking" period on my desktop, which is why I shut down everything before I stop using it.

You're right....the hardware is all the same. Actually, it's inferior in Macs. Especially if you have an old Motorola CPU in your Mac. But the software.... oh, the software is the stuff of dreams.

I love this Mac. Doesn't mean I think everyone has a use for a $1000 computer. 90% of computer users are just fine with a basic $300 computer to surf the web and type documents. But I got my Macbook for $699 refurbished, and if you're trying to decide between a $600 PC or a $699 Mac, you won't regret switching over. Save money on repairs, don't worry about maintaining your computer (which, if you're computer illiterate is golden), it'll last longer, and the service is incredible. Yep, the operating system is the difference. Microsoft OS's have just gotten more and more bloated and hardware intensive over the years....and since the pc platform is basically open source you have thousands of different hardware combinations from hundreds of different companies that may or may not be stable with every piece of software written for "windows". On the Apple front, software coders have a much easier job when they know that hardware combos are limited, and users aren't installing all kinds of apps that may have been written by a 13 year old in his moms basement....know what I mean? The closed Apple microcosm doesn't really appeal to people like me, but I can definitely see the advantages.

big daddy russ
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Yep, the operating system is the difference. Microsoft OS's have just gotten more and more bloated and hardware intensive over the years....and since the pc platform is basically open source you have thousands of different hardware combinations from hundreds of different companies that may or may not be stable with every piece of software written for "windows". On the Apple front, software coders have a much easier job when they know that hardware combos are limited, and users aren't installing all kinds of apps that may have been written by a 13 year old in his moms basement....know what I mean? The closed Apple microcosm doesn't really appeal to people like me, but I can definitely see the advantages.
Definitely. I went over to a Unix platform for a bit and my desktop ran like a dream, but it still wasn't as stable as my Mac. Wound up going back to Windows after some quirks started with the Unix program I was using. I didn't feel like starting over with another Unix and finding all the drivers. Too time-consuming, so I just popped Win XP with all the drivers pre-loaded and went on my way.

My PC does what I need it to do (word processing, light internet usage, etc.) and I have the Mac for the more intense stuff, so Windows is fine for my needs. Just wish there was less maintenance.

BEAST
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I think its a verizon iphone4 thing. AT&T doesn't do it.

Yes AT&T does. You just have to know how to get it.

BEAST

rockdale80
04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
My Dell Streak is pretty nice.