PDA

View Full Version : No more Athletic Scholarships?

BaseballUmp
03-29-2011, 01:25 AM
If Ralph Nader had his way...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6254572

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I think I would agree 100% with this.

Either come clean that athletics in colleges is a business or get rid of ALL athletic scholarships and make every kid earn his sholarship in the classroom and not on the football field.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think I would agree 100% with this.

Either come clean that athletics in colleges is a business or get rid of ALL athletic scholarships and make every kid earn his sholarship in the classroom and not on the football field.

problem is...A there would still be backroom dealings to get players the money to go to school

and B. If we get rid of athletic ones, then we should get rid of music scholarships, Drama scholarships etc etc.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
problem is...A there would still be backroom dealings to get players the money to go to school

and B. If we get rid of athletic ones, then we should get rid of music scholarships, Drama scholarships etc etc.

Just like so many TXB, you are in denial. The culture in our colleges is completely different where athletics are concerned. Those kids earning the music scholarships and drama scholarships are actually academically acceptable or they aren't allowed in. I would not hesitate to say that 75% of all athletic scholarships are given to bad students or students who barely are able to make their grades. Most athletic programs have a steady supply of tutors for their athletes (for free) and a large percent of the schools have a actual "athlete" curriculum to insure the kid stays athletically eligible. Nobody with any common sense would ever think that Vince Young EVER successfully acheived a high enough SAT test score to qualify for Texas. And I'm not hesitant to say that would probably apply to 80% of the football team at U of Texas.

RoyceTTU
03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
If I heard correctly Briant Gumble is doing a piece about NCAA Big Business tomorrow night. Also, he is supposed to release an exclusive regarding Auburn. Who knows, I'm going to try to watch.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 08:24 AM
[B]Just like so many TXB, you are in denial. The culture in our colleges is completely different where athletics are concerned. Those kids earning the music scholarships and drama scholarships are actually academically acceptable or they aren't allowed in. B]

not true at all and I know something about it..my 2nd time in college I was in theatre and I saw first hand that just like sports a Theatre director will cut corners, call in favors and straight out lie to make sure a talent is allowed in even if they are not able to make it in the classroom.

CenTexSports
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
You are probably right but the difference is 1 theatre to 10,000 athletic exceptions.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
You are probably right but the difference is 1 theatre to 10,000 athletic exceptions.

dont disagree at all but to call out athletic talent and claim that it cannot be used to pay for school but pretend all other talented based scholarships are clean and clear is wrong.

When a college department is dependant on students to make money and stay afloat, there will be corruption. Does not matter if it is in thousands of dollars, hundred thousands of dollars or Millions of dollars

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
not true at all and I know something about it..my 2nd time in college I was in theatre and I saw first hand that just like sports a Theatre director will cut corners, call in favors and straight out lie to make sure a talent is allowed in even if they are not able to make it in the classroom.

But isn't DRAMA and MUSIC academic in nature? And your experience with ONE incident doesn't make it "not true at all". perhaps it makes it only 95% true. :D :D

And you don't have a problem with a athlete being ushered all the way through high school and given a free ride at one of the biggest and most expensive Universities in the world while a hard working and motivated kid who has always excelled academically is denied the same entry? I have seen many, many stories of the 1000s of athletes who actually graduate high school with a diploma and college with a four year degree who read at a 5th grade level. If ONE qualified smart kid loses an opportunity because these idiots we have failed as a society. But that's just my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
But isn't DRAMA and MUSIC academic in nature? And your experience with ONE incident doesn't make it "not true at all". perhaps it makes it only 95% true. :D :D

And you don't have a problem with a athlete being ushered all the way through high school and given a free ride at one of the biggest and most expensive Universities in the world while a hard working and motivated kid who has always excelled academically is denied the same entry? I have seen many, many stories of the 1000s of athletes who actually graduate high school with a diploma and college with a four year degree who read at a 5th grade level. If ONE qualified smart kid loses an opportunity because these idiots we have failed as a society. But that's just my opinion.

you claim my exp is ONE incident, then say earlier 75% of all athletic scholarships are given to bad students or students who barely are able to make their grades

Fact is as I said When a College Dept is dependant on students to make money and stay afloat corruption will follow, does not matter if it is sports, music, drama or whatever. To single out athletics simply because it is followed more is not right.

If your going to eliminate athletic scholarships, then eliminate them ALL

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM

and btw it was not one exp..but many exp told to me by Theatre directors of colleges( some small, some big colleges)

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
dont disagree at all but to call out athletic talent and claim that it cannot be used to pay for school but pretend all other talented based scholarships are clean and clear is wrong.

Therein lies the problem in my books. The athletic talent is being used to pay for a academic opportunity. Not a problem IF the academic opportunity is actually the focus of the kids college career. But it rarely is. (If ever). It is normally a side-note.

Dr Death
03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Once again some people want to ban something because of what some schools do. The huge majority of colleges don't look at athletics as big business and do have a entrance guidelines. Ever wonder why SMU and Notre Dame have not achieved what they once were? Acedemic restrictions on applicants.
For every Miami, there are 5 good ones. Sam Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP, VMI, Vanderbilt, Academies, All DII schools. Just think of the people who have graduated and never would have had the chance to attend a better university had it not been for athletic scholarhips at a place that didn't make money off of athletics.

coachc45
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Therein lies the problem in my books. The athletic talent is being used to pay for a academic opportunity. Not a problem IF the academic opportunity is actually the focus of the kids college career. But it rarely is. (If ever). It is normally a side-note.

The problem is that the athletic programs and academic programs at big universities are dependent upon each other. The success of Athletic programs bring popularity and therefore Booster support. And much of the booster support goes to fund Academic programs. Get rid of Athletic programs at Big schools and Millions of Dollars go away with it. Case in point... in the years following SMU Death Penalty, the enrollment at SMU dropped.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
you claim my exp is ONE incident, then say earlier 75% of all athletic scholarships are given to bad students or students who barely are able to make their grades

Fact is as I said When a College Dept is dependant on students to make money and stay afloat corruption will follow, does not matter if it is sports, music, drama or whatever. To single out athletics simply because it is followed more is not right.

If your going to eliminate athletic scholarships, then eliminate them ALL

You are probably right TxB. It just seems different to me. A kid earning a scholarship in drama, music, debate, or any other academic success is earning a academic scholarship becuase they excel in a academic pursuit. A athletic scholarship on the other hand is athletically based and has NOTHING to do with academic ability. Perhaps those kids should have a basic athletics only curriculum and get a degree in football or basketball.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM
You are probably right TxB. It just seems different to me. A kid earning a scholarship in drama, music, debate, or any other academic success is earning a academic scholarship becuase they excel in a academic pursuit. A athletic scholarship on the other hand is athletically based and has NOTHING to do with academic ability. Perhaps those kids should have a basic athletics only curriculum and get a degree in football or basketball.

I have known MANY theatre majors who are dumb as rocks but can act..or Musicians who could not think on their own but can play the hell out of a cello.

The fact is Drama, and music are no more "academic" than sports it is just percieved that they are

Dr Death
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
You believe in a separation of athletics and education. That's whats wrong with your thoughts. Even Stoops talks about the education of young men who are in his program. Athletics IS education.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Dr Death
Once again some people want to ban something because of what some schools do. The huge majority of colleges don't look at athletics as big business and do have a entrance guidelines. Ever wonder why SMU and Notre Dame have not achieved what they once were? Acedemic restrictions on applicants.
For every Miami, there are 5 good ones. Sam Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP, VMI, Vanderbilt, Academies, All DII schools. Just think of the people who have graduated and never would have had the chance to attend a better university had it not been for athletic scholarhips at a place that didn't make money off of athletics.

What about the kids that were denied opportunities at these very same schools that had better grades, better potential (academically speaking) because they couldn't afford it and the school had given scholarship money to a athlete? I understand this is the way of things so my comments are more philosphical in nature. It just seems wrong for a academically qualified student to lose an opportunity because of a athletically qualified student. The dynamic of this situation changes completely as soon as we stop acting like the athletes aren't given the scholarships solely bassed on their athletic abilities. If we are giving scholarships based on academic ability then it should go to the MOST academically qualified individual and not to a athlete who manages to jsut barely make the entrance requirements. But that is hoping for a perfect world, I know.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I have known MANY theatre majors who are dumb as rocks but can act..or Musicians who could not think on their own but can play the hell out of a cello.

The fact is Drama, and music are no more "academic" than sports it is just percieved that they are

If this is truly the case then I agree with you. But I suspect you alter the definition of these things to make your point. Well done.

Would you think it appropriate to give a student that excells in Math a football scholarship even though he can barely play the game so that he can be on the Math team?

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

One question TXB. What did these dumb Drama majors and non-thinking cello players major in?

I would suspect it was DRAMA and MUSIC! If the dumb as rocks Drama student got a degree in Math or Pre Med then we have a simular situation. Otherwise we are talking apples and oranges.

gatordaze
03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I agree completely! Pay the players a percentage of the revenues that their sport generates and let them spend that to pay for their education if they so desire.

My daughter recently signed her LOI to play volleyball in college. If she works hard, invests 25-30 hours per week in practice, games, travel etc., and then makes her grades and does not get injured she will make what amounts to about $16 per hour.

Add to that the past 8 years of club dues, practices, travel, chiropractic fees etc. that put her in a position to get to play the sport she loves for another 4 years or so.

Add to that the 2 years of the recruiting process, offers made only to realize that the team has to split 3.5 full scholarships across 8-12 girls, jubilation and disappointment, realization that all-state in Texas 3A ain't all that at the next level.

All tolled, we have spent around $100,000 on volleyball related expenses over the past 8 years.

Had we invested that money then the scholarship and all of its associated time and effort would not even be necessary.

Would I do it all again?

You bet your a$$ I would.

Life lessons, competition, teamwork, etc are not economic decisions they are what successful adults are made of. Not that you can't get there without sports but please don't miss the intangibles.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
If this is truly the case then I agree with you. But I suspect you alter the definition of these things to make your point. Well done.

?

alter my definition? no I dont do that FF and that actually offends me to say I would alter something to make a point. This is not about me proving anything other than what I have seen firsthand and talked with others about their exp.

Here is one of mine

When I went back to college I was older, so the theatre director basically had me become kind of a guidance counselor for incoming students into her dept. That meant basically giving them advice and so on.

So I would help them if needed in all facets of their life. Well my last year at that school I was asked to tutor a student in English. This was a 18 yr old student on a drama scholarship.

So I started doing just that..and this High School Graduate who as you put it is in an academic endeavor did not even know what a verb, noun, or adjective was. BASIC English skills and he had no grasp on them what so ever. Yet he was on scholarship as you say taking money from someone else who probably deserved it more but had no extra curricular ability

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
One question TXB. What did these dumb Drama majors and non-thinking cello players major in?

I would suspect it was DRAMA and MUSIC! If the dumb as rocks Drama student got a degree in Math or Pre Med then we have a simular situation. Otherwise we are talking apples and oranges.

What does it matter what they major in? Your argument is athletes are for the most part dumb and should not be allowed to go to school on a scholarship.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
I agree completely! Pay the players a percentage of the revenues that their sport generates and let them spend that to pay for their education if they so desire.

My daughter recently signed her LOI to play volleyball in college. If she works hard, invests 25-30 hours per week in practice, games, travel etc., and then makes her grades and does not get injured she will make what amounts to about $16 per hour.

Add to that the past 8 years of club dues, practices, travel, chiropractic fees etc. that put her in a position to get to play the sport she loves for another 4 years or so.

Add to that the 2 years of the recruiting process, offers made only to realize that the team has to split 3.5 full scholarships across 8-12 girls, jubilation and disappointment, realization that all-state in Texas 3A ain't all that at the next level.

All tolled, we have spent around $100,000 on volleyball related expenses over the past 8 years.

Had we invested that money then the scholarship and all of its associated time and effort would not even be necessary.

Would I do it all again?

You bet your a$$ I would.

Life lessons, competition, teamwork, etc are not economic decisions they are what successful adults are made of. Not that you can't get there without sports but please don't miss the intangibles.

Good post gatordaze! If your daughter had a choice of going to school to pursue a degree or continuing to play the sport she loves which would do you think she would chose?

gatordaze
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Good post gatordaze! If your daughter had a choice of going to school to pursue a degree or continuing to play the sport she loves which would do you think she would chose?

If it was either/or she is wise enough to realize that her livelihood is based upon an education and not volleyball. She is fortunate to get to do both.

The sad truth is that the percentage of athletes that get to call sports their livelihood is infinitesimal and any parent that is putting all of there eggs in that basket are doing them a huge disservice.

I use to think any kid with decent genetics that works hard can use that to at least get an education. D1 NCAA and D1 NJCAA are the only place that are going to cover the total expense of an education. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that true D1 athletes are not really ever "found" as you can't miss them. They are the kids that might as well have sparks shooting from their heads in that by the time they are 15-16 it is pretty darn clear that they are not like the rest. Even the ones that are gifted that do not have the "measurables" have little to no chance of having their college paid for exclusively through athletics.

A typical D2/NAIA school will have 30-35 scholarships for 75-80 kids. The balance comes from financial aid, academic money, school loans and parents checking accounts.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
What does it matter what they major in? Your argument is athletes are for the most part dumb and should not be allowed to go to school on a scholarship.

Apparently it doesn't matter to you. But shouldn't it matter! If a student is given a scholarship then shouldn't he/she major in that subject? If a kid is given a scholarship in Music then that is normally their required course of study. Drama? The same thing. It is ONLY in athletic scholarships where the kid gains a academic field of study that is different from where they excelled in order to get the opportunity in the first place. For a "athletic" scholarship shouldn't the kid earn a degree in PLAYING FOOTBALL?

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Apparently it doesn't matter to you. But shouldn't it matter! If a student is given a scholarship then shouldn't he/she major in that subject? If a kid is given a scholarship in Music then that is normally their required course of study. Drama? The same thing. It is ONLY in athletic scholarships where the kid gains a academic field of study that is different from where they excelled in order to get the opportunity in the first place. For a "athletic" scholarship shouldn't the kid earn a degree in PLAYING FOOTBALL?

actually no..I was on a drama scholarship and majored in history at the time.

In fact most Theatre Directors I know will tell a student to NOT major in Theatre unless they want to teach it because just like sports( and prob even more) the success rate of actors is .000001%

Just like football a theatre Scholarship has to do certain requirments, but majoring in the field is usually( not going to say 100%) not one of them

Bullaholic
03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't see any real argument here. There is sufficient diversity in the current collegiate system to allow for purely academic, as well as athletic, scholarship without penalizing either. I think any scholarship student not able to command enough literacy to pursue a regular academic regimen in an established degree program should be placed in an associate-degree curriculum in order to keep them from trying to purse an established degree path.

Dexter Manley is a most pointed example of an individual attending regular classes at a major university, but who was unable to read. Associate degree programs would provide an avenue to accomodate such individuals. Scholarship students who can command the regular undergraduate course subject
matter should be allowed to pursue any degree path.

I admire the academic standards for all students of such institutions as Notre Dame, Stanford, and Duke to name just a few.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
actually no..I was on a drama scholarship and majored in history at the time.

In fact most Theatre Directors I know will tell a student to NOT major in Theatre unless they want to teach it because just like sports( and prob even more) the success rate of actors is .000001%

Just like football a theatre Scholarship has to do certain requirments, but majoring in the field is usually( not going to say 100%) not one of them

Then I stand corrected. And I acknowledge that my thoughts are based on a perfect world which will never happen. It just seems to me that a kid getting access to a academic opportunity because of a athletic ability is wrong in some way. Ecspecially since we all know very talented and intelligent kids who deserve a chance just as much due to their intelligence and acheivements in the academic field rather than an ability to jump high or run fast who have been denied. But you have made your point. Great discussion.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Then I stand corrected. And I acknowledge that my thoughts are based on a perfect world which will never happen. It just seems to me that a kid getting access to a academic opportunity because of a athletic ability is wrong in some way. Ecspecially since we all know very talented and intelligent kids who deserve a chance just as much due to their intelligence and acheivements in the academic field rather than an ability to jump high or run fast who have been denied. But you have made your point. Great discussion.

Again I just dont see a difference in someone getting a scholarship for sports and someone getting one for Drama, Music, Dance and so on.

Aesculus gilmus
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Fewer and fewer even remember who Howard Cosell was as time goes on, but he had this right LONG ago.

The so-called "student-athletes" are being abused in terms of their amateur status.

Forget scholarships. Forget even making them attend class. They DESERVE a cut of the revenue they're helping generate. Make UT, A&M, OU et al. pro teams officially. I assume church schools such as Baylor would be too embarrassed to make the official leap, but then Baylor has done some pretty embarrrasing stuff over the years, so Jerusalem-on-the-Brazos would probably be okay with a pro team as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-greener/of-course-howard-cosell-w_b_788786.html

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I don't see any real argument here. There is sufficient diversity in the current collegiate system to allow for purely academic, as well as athletic, scholarship without penalizing either. I think any scholarship student not able to command enough literacy to pursue a regular academic regimen in an established degree program should be placed in an associate-degree curriculum in order to keep them from trying to purse an established degree path.

Dexter Manley is a most pointed example of an individual attending regular classes at a major university, but who was unable to read. Associate degree programs would provide an avenue to accomodate such individuals. Scholarship students who can command the regular undergraduate course subject
matter should be allowed to pursue any degree path.

I admire the academic standards for all students of such institutions as Notre Dame, Stanford, and Duke to name just a few.

Good input Bull. But doesn't the basket of scholarship dollars have a bottom? And every single dollar paid out in athletic scholarships is just another dollar not available to academic scholarships. And I would also like to believe in the equal academic standards in those institutions you mentioned but I personally think that is a little naive. There are hundreds and hundreds of PAYING student denied entry into these institutions every year that have better grades and better academic qualifications than a lot of the scholarship students have. But I guess that is just the way of it.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Again I just dont see a difference in someone getting a scholarship for sports and someone getting one for Drama, Music, Dance and so on.

Athletics are games! Sports are played!

Drama, Music and Dance are fields of study! Schools offer a degree in Drama, Music and Dance. There are no degrees in FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL or TRACK. I think that is the difference. Maybe?

gatordaze
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Good input Bull. But doesn't the basket of scholarship dollars have a bottom? And every single dollar paid out in athletic scholarships is just another dollar not available to academic scholarships. And I would also like to believe in the equal academic standards in those institutions you mentioned but I personally think that is a little naive. There are hundreds and hundreds of PAYING student denied entry into these institutions every year that have better grades and better academic qualifications than a lot of the scholarship students have. But I guess that is just the way of it.

Many programs make money for the university and without them there would be less money for academic scholarships. You could argue that until your profitable you can only use booster directed funds for athletics but to suggest that athletics cost academic scholarships is not logical. Different buckets eliminating the athletics just eliminates the bucket.

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Athletics are games! Sports are played!

Drama, Music and Dance are fields of study! Schools offer a degree in Drama, Music and Dance. There are no degrees in FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL or TRACK. I think that is the difference. Maybe?

One more question on this subject: Do athletes earn credits for playing a sport if they are on a scholarship?

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Many programs make money for the university and without them there would be less money for academic scholarships. You could argue that until your profitable you can only use booster directed funds for athletics but to suggest that athletics cost academic scholarships is not logical. Different buckets eliminating the athletics just eliminates the bucket.

Good point. but truthfully how many colleges have a athletic program that is self supported?

RoyceTTU
03-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Question? On another site someone said that a loan against Future Wealth was not against NCAA rules. Is this correct, It dosn't sound right but I can't find anything on it?

Farmersfan
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Question? On another site someone said that a loan against Future Wealth was not against NCAA rules. Is this correct, It dosn't sound right but I can't find anything on it?

It appears to me to be nothing more than getting paid for playing whatever sport the student athlete is playing. Isn't getting paid now for playing football in the future the same thing as getting paid now for playing football now? But it is amazing what lawyers can do.

RoyceTTU
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
It appears to me to be nothing more than getting paid for playing whatever sport the student athlete is playing. Isn't getting paid now for playing football in the future the same thing as getting paid now for playing football now? But it is amazing what lawyers can do.

yeah, I agree on the surface.

The question was really surrounding Dez and the recent problems. Also looking back to Lebron when he was in HS.

The players seem to be able to take cash loans without co-signers or even the credentials to make such loans. I guess in banking terms, it's a bad loan but that is thier risk. I can't help but to think this shouldn't be allowed but who knows. In Lebron's case it was a car loan. I think both had defered payments.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
extending credit on future pay is supposed to be illegal as far as the NCAA is concerned

WildTexan972
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
colleges are used for advanced JOB training and nothing more....almost ANYone that fills out a FAFSA form gets grant and loan money to go to college so college is no longer a special addition in life, but more of a way to piddle and party a few years before working....

since college is simply JOB training then guys trying to get a job in pro sports should qualify by their skills, not by stuff they won't need as athletes, like speakin English or addin up numbers....

Matthew328
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
http://matlabgeeks.com/sports-analysis/college-football/ncaa-div-i-college-football-expenses-and-revenue/

While football season is behind us, the amount of money generated by the NCAA and its schools remains of interest to us. Thanks to our friend Wesley Turner, we have acquired data on all NCAA Division I schools for total football revenue and expense. Much of the data can be further investigated at USA today’s website, and when available at Equity in athletics .

As would be expected, the big name football factories spend the most money on football related expenses, but the amount of profit that is generated on average per year is staggering. Over the 7 year period of 2003 till 2009, the top 10 schools (Texas, Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Penn State, LSU, Auburn and Ohio State) generated more than $30 million in profit per year. Texas which generates on average almost $50 million a year, has seen incredible sustained growth. In 2003, their profit margin was $34.6 million. In the year 2009? $68.8 million!

In the past year, there was a large push by the Pac 10 (12) to extend to 16 teams by including Texas and 3 other Texas/Oklahoma schools. This push while stated as an opportunity to further increase quality of games, is rather purely monetary, with the BCS conference teams further fighting for their share of this amazingly large money base. The following graph displays the average football related expenses and revenue for 117 Div I schools from 2003-2009. Sorted by expense from top down, it is easy to see how the rich remain rich while the “little sisters of the poor” scrap for a piece of the pie.

At least for football at the Division I levels, these sports are huge money makers...even some of the little guys still turn profits...

garciap77
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
yeah, I agree on the surface.

The question was really surrounding Dez and the recent problems. Also looking back to Lebron when he was in HS.

The players seem to be able to take cash loans without co-signers or even the credentials to make such loans. I guess in banking terms, it's a bad loan but that is thier risk. I can't help but to think this shouldn't be allowed but who knows. In Lebron's case it was a car loan. I think both had defered payments.

"It's a bad loan but that is thier risk" or maybe our risk as tax payers!:(

AngeloState39
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm currently on an athletic scholarship and during the fall and spring balancing football and academics can be a bit overwhelming. i dont see any other organization putting in more work with less time for school, but i find way to make the deans list. just my two cents.

and what are you doing on most saturdays? watching football or a symphony orchestra?

Phil C
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Come on! Leave our college athletes alone (a loan). :)

Farmersfan
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
After sleeping on it and thinking on this subject for a while I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what kind of program is in place because there will be abuse. No matter how we tried to fix the system there will always be people who will take the low road. It is not possible to have a system that creates a even and level playing field for all teams/schools. If we paid the athletes then we certainly would need a salary cap. But that would only cause illegal under-the-table earnings and benefits again. No salary cap would cause a situation where the TOP schools like Texas would pay astronomical salaries to get the top players. Most other schools could never compete with that. The system is flaws and i guess it always will be. I just get tired of the hypocrisy of it all.....

LH Panther Mom
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
My son receives football AND academic scholarship money! Not ALL schools have to cheat/lie/scam an athlete's way into the school, academically. :)

Old LB
03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
After sleeping on it and thinking on this subject for a while I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what kind of program is in place because there will be abuse. No matter how we tried to fix the system there will always be people who will take the low road. It is not possible to have a system that creates a even and level playing field for all teams/schools. If we paid the athletes then we certainly would need a salary cap. But that would only cause illegal under-the-table earnings and benefits again. No salary cap would cause a situation where the TOP schools like Texas would pay astronomical salaries to get the top players. Most other schools could never compete with that. The system is flaws and i guess it always will be. I just get tired of the hypocrisy of it all.....

You hit the nail on the head with that post. :clap:

Farmersfan
03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My son receives football AND academic scholarship money! Not ALL schools have to cheat/lie/scam an athlete's way into the school, academically. :)

They do if the athlete is a moron. Your son obviously is capable of making the grades. It was never posted that every school does it with every athlete.............................

Congrats BTW on your son's success. Hope he continues to do well.