PDA

View Full Version : Baylor vs aTm- Women's Basketball

Bullaholic
03-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Which one of these women's teams advances to the Final Four?

Saggy Aggie
03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Baylor has already won 3 times this season, and Griner dropped 40 yesterday... but I still like the Aggies' chances. Daniel Adams is a hoss and does matchup well with Griner, and Gilbert coming off the bench has played pretty good defense on Griner as well. If we shoot the 3 like we did against Georgia, Baylor won't even have a chance. Gotta slow down Sims though too.

Hopefully we can pull out the one that matters the most. Isn't this game tomorrow though?

trojandad
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Baylor has already won 3 times this season, and Griner dropped 40 yesterday... but I still like the Aggies' chances. Daniel Adams is a hoss and does matchup well with Griner, and Gilbert coming off the bench has played pretty good defense on Griner as well. If we shoot the 3 like we did against Georgia, Baylor won't even have a chance. Gotta slow down Sims though too.

Hopefully we can pull out the one that matters the most. Isn't this game tomorrow though?

i couldnt disagree more about danielle against baylor, she DOESN'T show up....the last time they faced each other, they showed blair in the locker room actually asking adams to show up this time, she doesn't put in an effort and stay underneath and fight for rebounds unless she's playing a team with centers she knows she can dominate, she faces griner and she sits the whole game outside pretending to be an overgrown point guard while griner gets 25 rebounds underneath where adams should be.....

a&m's other four players are better than baylor's other four, if adams would just use that sizeable butt to move griner away from the basket on rebounds, a&m can score enough to beat baylor even without adams offense, but if adams refuses to compete underneath as she's done three times already this year, they'll lose another one, and thats ashamed cause i sure feel if they could get by baylor, they have a true shot at winning it all....

adams needs to get nasty......get in griners head and they'll win.......i just don't think adams has it in her to really go after griner, tho.....sorry to say......adams teammates deserve better out of her.......

Emerson1
03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
After hearing Griner speak today, I have 100% faith in them winning it all.

BaseballUmp
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
After hearing Griner speak today, I have 100% faith in them winning it all.

the fact that she's a man

trojandad
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

:clap:

sahen
03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Adams isn't even being guarded by Griner in their matchups...Mulkey is putting Pope and Willams on her and she is averaging like 10 points...i think Griner is averaging like 25 and 10 against the Aggies, as long as she doesn't get in foul trouble she is too much for them to handle...

as far as the other 4 players the aggies have being better than Baylor that is ridiculous...Simms could run circles around most of the Aggie players, she is probably freshman of the year, for sure a freshman all-american...Jones is just as good as any of the Aggies and she is playing with one eye...

the real shame is this matchup is happening in the elite 8 and not the final 4 or the championship game...both of these teams deserve to have their own path to the final 4 and since they have played 3 times before this year they have no buisness playing each other again before Indianapolis....

Daddy D 11
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
lol at the comment about the aggies 4 being better than baylors other 4

navscanmaster
03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
lol at the comment about the aggies 4 being better than baylors other 4

Outside of Griner and Adams, the other four match up pretty well. Although I would have to say that I think the Aggies are a better team without Adams as opposed to Baylor without Griner.

The series should be more evenly matched next season, with A&M getting that 6'6" girl from Atascocita and the one and only Kelsey Bone transferring from SC (2009/2010 SEC Newcomer of the Year).

1st and goal
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

+1
I think they need to test her like that South African track person.

Yoe_09
03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
If you were to take away both from each team I think A&M would probably win by 20+. Griner is just one of those guys that you cannot really stop if the ball gets down low. You can double but usually it does not matter.

It should be another close game....gimme A&M by 5.

coach
03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if atm wins, but i have my money on baylor

Eagle 1
03-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Baylor wins again.

Saggy Aggie
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
After hearing Griner speak today, I have 100% faith in them winning it all. i see what you did there

trojandad
03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Adams isn't even being guarded by Griner in their matchups...Mulkey is putting Pope and Willams on her and she is averaging like 10 points...i think Griner is averaging like 25 and 10 against the Aggies, as long as she doesn't get in foul trouble she is too much for them to handle...

as far as the other 4 players the aggies have being better than Baylor that is ridiculous...Simms could run circles around most of the Aggie players, she is probably freshman of the year, for sure a freshman all-american...Jones is just as good as any of the Aggies and she is playing with one eye...

the real shame is this matchup is happening in the elite 8 and not the final 4 or the championship game...both of these teams deserve to have their own path to the final 4 and since they have played 3 times before this year they have no buisness playing each other again before Indianapolis....

the reason griner isn't guarding adams is mulkey isn't taking the bait by blair of drawing her out to the 3 pt line, after 3 defeats it has proven to be the right call, and time for blair to do something else, the reason, i feel, he hasn't is because, if you look at the last 3 games, when adams goes underneath she is completely without the will to compete, some rebounds come her way and you see her glancing over at griner coming and she won't even bother to jump for them when she should be finding griner and moving her out of the paint with her size and lower center of gravity.....

in all my years, i've never heard a coach that was being taped ask a player to "pretty please" show up tonight as blair did in the last loss to baylor.....i have to admit i've never coached women so it might be different, but i sure missed pat summitt asking her players to kindly show up tonight, she benches them.....maybe thats why she has several natl championships, just saying....

as far as the other four players matching up, if you use griners stats to make a point you have to use the other four players stats to do the same, and the aggie's 4 are better than baylor's 4 in every stat.....i don't think the aggie 4 could run rings around the baylor 4, they are as good as anyone in the country and everyone would take jones if possible, but the cumulative 4 with a&m have done their part for 3 losses so stats are stats, for whatever they say about griner OR the other 4 matchup....

my point about the other 4 is when your playing tournament play, the trick is to take away a teams strength to put them in a playing mode of having to win in a way that hasn't been their habit to win all year, hoping to put them in an uncomfortable scenario, i think a&m has abundant speed to cover the 3's from baylor if they weren't forced to double and triple down on griner...

my contention, and it may be wrong, is that griner beats a team on the defensive end, its the pete maravich solution, teams would let pete go for 40-50-60 a game but would guard the other 4 and would win it against pete on his defensive end....griner goes for 25 against a&m this year and yet two games have been close, its not her 25 that kills, its her defensive play that takes a&m out of their comfort zone that they use to beat every other team they play....

i'd let a&m's big girls play griner head up as they have all year, let her get her 25, use adams big caboose to push griner out on the defensive end and call it a draw, adams give up getting offensive rebounds cause in 3 games against baylor she's had a grand total of two, and those came when griner was on the bench.....let the other four fight for offensive boards and see how baylor copes, cause my guess is they've become so dependent on griner cleaning house as she does so well they'd feel a little out of their element without her in the middle as much.....even if a&m lost again by taking adams out of the picture how much worse could it be?

what's the definition of insanity? repeating the same actions while expecting different results?

as for putting them both in the same region, i couldn't agree more....jay bilas said it best "sometimes the ncaa makes such silly choices at tourney time, i wonder if they even know what shape a basketball is".......:clap:

sahen
03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
to be fair, Griner is a good rebounder (height helps obviously) but she isn't as dominate on the boards as a lot of people give her credit for...the other girls that play forward and melissa jones are better rebounders in my opinion because they have to block out to get theirs and they do get them, Griner still is working on that aspect of her game...

Baylor is going to try to do what they have the past 3 games against A&M...go to griner early and often and get Adams on the bench with foul trouble then take it from there...i think if the aggies can put Griner on the bench then they will have a shot to win, if they cant then i think we will take it again...Simms is also a tuff matchup for the Aggies when she is on, bu tshe has some consistancy issues since she is a freshman...if she plays like she did last game then Simms and Griner together will be too much for the Aggies like the first game they played in college station...

Rabid Cougar
03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I am a moroon blooded Aggie as there is. the Aggies have had Baylor down in each of their three games even holding Griner down. Yet in the end , Griner takes control and when she does there is no stopping her. I have to take Baylor outscoring ATM.

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 08:11 PM
7-0 aggies :)

trojandad
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
a&m may lose, but adams is showing up tonight.......

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Carter can't miss. :)

trojandad
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
they are in griner's head BIG TIME......can't hit a free throw OR a dunk.....amazing what a body on the girl can do.....

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
7 fouls for the players guarding griner? Lol

coach
03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
a&m may lose, but adams is showing up tonight.......

lol she has 0 points and 2 fouls

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
But when she was in there she put a body on griner, played great d, and boxed out. Aggress are playing well. Up 32-21 @ half. :)

coach
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
But when she was in there she put a body on griner, played great d, and boxed out. Aggress are playing well. Up 32-21 @ half. :)

so are the other back ups...im sorry but spending 10+ min on the bench is not showing up

trojandad
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by coach
lol she has 0 points and 2 fouls

beats the heck out of adams scoring like she has the first three games and losing.....her toushe can win this game, her shooting can't.......

trojandad
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
so are the other back ups...im sorry but spending 10+ min on the bench is not showing up

her time on the bench was after she quit worrying about scoring aand took griner out of her game.....i don't hear anyone from a&m complaining, she showed up by putting a body on the woman.....

Eagle 1
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
7 fouls for the players guarding griner? Lol

Yea unbelievable. ONLY 7...

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 09:07 PM
But when she was in there she put a body on griner, played great d, and boxed out. Aggies*** are playing well. Up 32-21 @ half. :) damn autocorrect

coach
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
im as big as an aggie fan as they come, and im not arguing that whatever they are doing is working. But, to say she has "shown up" is incorrect

trojandad
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
im as big as an aggie fan as they come, and im not arguing that whatever they are doing is working. But, to say she has "shown up" is incorrect

wish i could agree.......but thats roundball....

coach
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
wish i could agree.......but thats roundball....

now to say atm as a team has shown up. thats 110% true

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Shown up defensively, yes. Offensively, no.

coach
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Shown up defensively, yes. Offensively, no.

they couldn't miss the 3 ball in the first half...

honestly this does not surprise me at all...playing a team 4 times is so tough

trojandad
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
will try once more and i'll quit, adams "showed up" in my humble opinion, by not worrying about the parts of the game she has worried about in 3 games against baylor as well as all the other games this year (shooting, 3 pointers, staying on the court for big minutes, etc) and instead followed her coach's instructions, played hard defense, give up fouls if need be, but bruise griner up and trust that getting in griner's head will allow the rest of her team a chance to win it....

a star like adams has it instilled in her for her career to stay on the court, score lots, and the chance to win will be better.....when they can put their ego aside and do the coach's bidding even tho it costs them bench time with too many fouls, thats MUCH harder than staying on the court the amount of minutes she has the first three games only to lose......

she's obviously trusted blair, he wasn't upset that she was on the bench, he was GLAD that after three losses, adams finally got in griner's head.....thats my take, we just disagree......

Saggy Aggie
03-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Aggies win the one that counts. :) final 4!

BEAST
03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree.

BEAST

FB-fanatic
03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
GIG EM!!!!

trojandad
03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
that might have been the nat'l championship game and we just don't know it yet.....

great game, ags.....

BEAST
03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
that might have been the nat'l championship game and we just don't know it yet.....

great game, ags.....

I agree. I've said more than once that the winner of this game is the fave to win it all. ESPN won't sale the Ags in that light though.

BEAST

Yoe_09
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Great game. Congrats to Texas A&M :clap:

zebrablue2
03-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
Great game. Congrats to Texas A&M :clap:

:iagree:Congrats to the lady AGS!!!

eagles_victory
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Terrible job by the committee such an unfair advantage to Baylor to put a conference opponent who they have already played 3 times in their bracket. (Did the same thing to Stanford with 3 seed UCLA but they lost in the 2nd round)

sahen
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Terrible job by the committee such an unfair advantage to Baylor to put a conference opponent who they have already played 3 times in their bracket. (Did the same thing to Stanford with 3 seed UCLA but they lost in the 2nd round)

i dunno how that was an advantage..we lost...i figured we'd see a&m again but cant believe they put us against them before the final 4...aggies may win it all but uconn and stanford are tuff...

GetRDoneStangs
03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

I agreed early on... but it was the REGIONAL and they had the best from the Region , #1 vs. #2 and both from Texas and may have had the the best crowd in all the regional sites...

trojandad
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM

great game, ags.....

dont know whether baylor was the championship game, or stanford, or notre dame.....either way, they took the hard road and brought home the goods......fantastic job, ladies......

BEAST
04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I agree. I've said more than once that the winner of this game is the fave to win it all. ESPN won't sale the Ags in that light though.

BEAST

Look what I said after the Aggie and Baylor game!

I am a prophet. Lol.

BEAST

Rabid Cougar
04-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Look what I said after the Aggie and Baylor game!

I am a prophet. Lol.

BEAST

That you are! Whooooaaaa!