PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you "old timers" remember....

Ranger Mom
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Jessica McClure??

She turned 25 Saturday and got her trust fund!!

She graduated from Greenwood with my oldest son.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/j1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/j2.jpg

BEAST
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I remember it very vividly. I couldnt pull myself away from the TV.

BEAST

Ranger Mom
03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I remember it very vividly. I couldnt pull myself away from the TV.

BEAST

Me neither....she and my son were barely 2 weeks apart and we lived about 6 blocks from where it happened.....it hit me hard.

I will never forget the chill bumps I got when they got her out and you just heard ALL KINDS of screaming and cheering coming from inside your neighbors houses, horns honking ALL over town...it was awesome.

She's a really good kid too!!

AP Panther Fan
03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember this also. Just curious, what was the source of the trust fund? I don't remember much about that or what is on the cover of the People magazine.

RoyceTTU
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I was a little kid but still remember it quite well. We were living in Odessa at the time.

waterboy
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes. I remember the story of Baby Jessica. I remember it being announced over the PA at a football game on a Friday night that she had been rescued. I was at a Buckeye game in Jefferson when it was announced. She has just turned 25-years-old and now has access to the trust fund set up in her name. The trust fund is in excess of $800,000! She is now a stay-at-home mother of two.:clap:

trojandad
03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
anybody ever hear who was supposed to be watching her when all that happened? the way mom acted around dad when it happened, it seemed like she thought he was supposed to be watching the baby.....

Bull's-eye
03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Being that young, I wonder how much she actually remembers?

Very touching event that had America glued to their televisions. I know there were many volunteers doing everything possible to get her out. What a group effort, made you very proud to see how people responded to the sitiuation.

BaseballUmp
03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
What happened?

Cam
03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
didn't the guy holding her (with the red cap) die? I thought I heard he committed suicide.

garciap77
03-28-2011, 05:33 PM
They had a nice article about her in Abilene's newspaper Satuarday.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Jessica.jpg
A rescue worker carries 18-month-old Jessica McClure to safety in
Midland in October 1987 after she had been trapped for 58 hours
when she plunged 22 feet into an abandoned water well. Now married with two children, Jessica McClure Morales turns 25 today.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Jessica2.jpg
Jessica McClure, 19 months, is
released from Midland Memorial
Hospital. The toddler spent more than
a month in the hospital after she was
rescued.

STANG RED
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I remember this also. Just curious, what was the source of the trust fund? I don't remember much about that or what is on the cover of the People magazine.

I remember part of it being from oil royalties, and I know some was donations that came in from all over the world. I also remember seeing a story about her a few years back, and she doesnt remember anything about what happened.

OldBison75
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I remember this very well. On the night she was rescued from the well, I was at a Navasota Rattler football game and the PA announcer announced she had been rescued. The game came to a halt and bot sides gave a standing ovation and many shed tears of happiness.

I saw an interview with her a few days ago on television and she said the trust fund will be used primarily to insure a college education for her own children. She said that most of the money had come from private donations from concerned citizens and some was used for her health care and many surgeries. However, after the bills were paid, the approximately $800,000 left was placed in the trust.

I applaud her for committing the money to a great plan to help her own children. According to the reporter that was doing the story, Jessica is a great mother and very down to earth and happy these days. Even with all the surgeries, she still bears scars and suffers from arthritis. She has chosen to not have surgery on a scar on her forehead because she says it reminds her of the goodness of the people of the Midland/Odessa area when her family needed help.

She has grown into a beautiful young woman and should be praised for her down to earth outlook and the fact she has never used her situation as a stepping board to anything. As a matter of fact, she has almost never been a media focus and attended public schools and tried to just be a normal kid.

buckeyebob
03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Something I had forgotten...she lost a toe on her right foot to gangrene,,,her foot was above her head in the shaft.

It amazed me what a brave little girl she was.

crabman
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
As I recall the well was about 8" in diameter and she went in with only one leg and fell down the well with the other leg over her head doing the splits. Ouch.

garciap77
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
What happened?

Here is the article from Saturday's Abilene Report News:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Jessicaarticle.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/jessicaarticle2.jpg

Ranger Mom
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Cam
didn't the guy holding her (with the red cap) die? I thought I heard he committed suicide.

McClure’s rescue was credited mostly to paramedic Robert O’Donnell and police officer William Andrew Glasscock Jr., both of whom received tremendous media attention and became heroes. The saddest thing is what happened to these two heroes. In 1995, after eight years of having suffered post-traumatic stress disorder from the ordeal, O’Donnell succumbed to the disorder and committed suicide. In 2004, Glasscock was sentenced to 15 years in prison on charges of sexual exploitation of a child, sexual assault, and improper storage of explosives.

And.......to make this football related, Andy Glasscock was from Greenwood and was a season ticket holder. He sat directly in front of me for 3 years.....I would have NEVER suspected he was like that. His son went to school with my daughter, when all this came out his mother immediately filed for divorce and went back to using her maiden name, the son had his name legally changed to his mother's maiden name.

FB-fanatic
03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
This was BK (before kids) for me, so that Friday night I was glued to the TV when she came out of the hole. Wow, still makes my hair stand up.

bobcat1
03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I remember that. Wow how time files.