PDA

View Full Version : sprinkler system

RoyceTTU
03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I will be installing a new sprinkler system in our front and back yard. I will be using PVC and Rainbird products.

Anybody done this on there own and have any tips or tricks

PPHSfan
03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I will be installing a new sprinkler system in our front and back yard. I will be using PVC and Rainbird products.

Hire a pro. That is the only advice I can give. At the end of the weekend, I found I could have gone to work, and spent the money I made working on a pro, and came out way ahead.

Blue42
03-27-2011, 02:29 PM

I did my own about 14 years ago and it is still going strong .1rent a trencher .2 don’t skimp on the sprinkler heads make sure to get over lap on spray .3 make sure to not hookup sprinklers directly to the PVC use a flexible pipe so if you run over it you don’t bust the PVC .4 when running the wire to your manifold put it in some conduit to protect it from dogs ,cats, ect . Good luck you will see its easier than most people think. Check the internet for do it yourself info.

Blue42
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
One more thing you may want to use PIX piping it may save you some time and money and its freeze proof.

cr180t
03-27-2011, 02:46 PM
All great advice. I have several things not to do.

Trashman
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM

be sure to get a plumbing permit from the city....:D

RoyceTTU
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
be sure to get a plumbing permit from the city....:D

I have an electrician licnese. Not a plumbers:doh: Isn't it easier to ask for foriveness than permission:D

crabman
03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
You are supposed to have a plumber install your backflow preventer and test it. Other than that you can do the work yourself.

1. Get a 3" to 4" wide trench shovel. It is meant for cleaning out trenches like the one you will have. I actually bought a $5 shovel at Alamo lumber and cut it down using an angle grinder. I'm cheap.
2. Put all of your control valves in one location and run your laterals from there. Makes wiring and maintenance much, much easier.
3. Allow plenty of overlap. No computer program or layout in the world properly accounts for 35 mph south wind.
4. Use pressure rated pipe as opposed to Schedule 40. CL 125 PVC is thin walled and is rated at 125 psi. Schedule 40 is the sorriest grade of PVC. It may hold 100 psi and it may hold 50.
5. Buy some PVC cutter pliers. Don't try using a hacksaw. Lots of work and the white PVC sawdust will clog your system.
6. Don't wait until the second week in June like I did.

I think it was well worth the effort. I got a bid on my yard and saved a tick over $5,000.

PPHSfan
03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
The first one I installed myself.
Spent the better part of a day planning my system and making a parts list.
Spent a couple of hours renting a ditch witch. And another couple of hours returning it. Seems they have these things called lines at these rental places.
Spent half a day acquiring all of the materials needed.
Spent three days doing the job, and worked like a dog doing it. Getting up and down all day us harder than most jobs.
Was satisfied with the end result but the total actual time spent was almost five days of my life, and a lot of sweat.

Second time, I spent half a day driving around looking for some pros installing systems in a new residential community. Spent thirty bucks taking a "crew leader" to lunch. Made a moonlight weekend deal with him and spent a whopping six hundred bucks more than the total bill from my first attempt.

I was pleased as punch. I can make a little bit more than six hundred bucks in five days doing just about anything, with much less effort. And I got a professional job.

P.S. The equipment that the pro had access to was much better than the stuff I bought retail.

BwdLion73
03-28-2011, 12:40 AM

Re-did mine last year at Lake Bwd. used a local Co. & enjoyed watching them do the digging and work. lol

I used rainbird and really like the way it works.

RoyceTTU
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by crabman
You are supposed to have a plumber install your backflow preventer and test it.

I figured I would leave this part off. I like the way fertilizer makes the water taste coming out of the faucets :doh: :D

Ranger Mom
03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
My husband has done all of ours...which is good. He will all the sudden decide he doesn't want a sprinkler there anymore, so he will dig it up, cap it off and put one somewhere else.

I feel sorry for the next people who live in our house and want to to do any extreme yard work...there is PVC pipe running EVERYWHERE underground!!

LIONS#1
03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Just did mine myself Materials were around 800.00 I just have 4 zones. I have a hunter/rain-bird system. Hired my neighbors (Landscaper) sprinkler crew (5 guys in one 8 hour day at cost)..500.00 and done!! Didn't even break a sweat!! LOL so I then installed Zoysia palisades for my grass around 2,500 total and no more St. Augustine!!!

Lucky2Coach
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Move to Sweeny. It rains here every day, so you don't have to worry about sprinkler systems.

Trashman
03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I have an electrician licnese. Not a plumbers:doh: Isn't it easier to ask for foriveness than permission:D

sure if you can afford the fines.:doh: :D

hookandladder
03-29-2011, 06:22 AM
I installed mind 16 years ago, still working perfectly. One suggestion on the manifolds , all mind are located next to the house above ground. This way they are easy to find and easy to replace, yes you do use more pipe however you do not use any wire and conduit and spend a day looking for it when it craps out . Also I would recommend using the old stlye heads , the slow moving new ones seem to always fill up with sand and quit working. Also as suggested make sure heads overlap for great coverage, Home Depot or Lowes for all your products can't go wrong.

RoyceTTU
03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I installed mind 16 years ago, still working perfectly. One suggestion on the manifolds , all mind are located next to the house above ground. This way they are easy to find and easy to replace, yes you do use more pipe however you do not use any wire and conduit and spend a day looking for it when it craps out . Also I would recommend using the old stlye heads , the slow moving new ones seem to always fill up with sand and quit working. Also as suggested make sure heads overlap for great coverage, Home Depot or Lowes for all your products can't go wrong.

I am the anti Home Dept and Lowes. Support your local retailer's such as ACE, TrueValue and Other Independents every chance you get.

Thanks for the heads up, I figured I was going to use a in-ground junction box for all manifolds. They would still be tough to replace even in a 12x18" box so maybe your on to something. I figured it 100% overlap and will be using the Sure-Pop Rainbird style. It sounds like you talking about the rotary heads? Mine will be stationary using full, half, and quarters.

hookandladder
03-29-2011, 08:42 AM
I am the anti Home Dept and Lowes. Support your local retailer's such as ACE, TrueValue and Other Independents every chance you get.

Thanks for the heads up, I figured I was going to use a in-ground junction box for all manifolds. They would still be tough to replace even in a 12x18" box so maybe your on to something. I figured it 100% overlap and will be using the Sure-Pop Rainbird style. It sounds like you talking about the rotary heads? Mine will be stationary using full, half, and quarters.

The manifolds are required to be above ground level which makes replacing very easy , 2 cuts and replace manifold with coupler. My heads are rotary heads and you can set them full,half and quarter, also I live in a small town and yes I use Ace and TrueValue just suggested for lower price . Also as I stated before all my manifolds are in one box right next to each other at my back door, wires run straight into utility room where main controller is located.