PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville question?

Old Dog
12-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Why does Gainesville have Gainesville High and Callisburg High? Seems unusual for a town to have a 2A and 3A school. Seems a stretch of the taxpayers dollar to have 2 "small" schools in one town.

There is no "backhanded" motive for the question, just wondering. Also Noticed 3A Vernon has Northside (a 6 man school).

Again, I wish to convey congrats to the Gainesville Leps for their state title.

KTJ
12-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Callisburg is not apart of Gainesville ISD. Callisburg is a seperate city and seperate school district.

HOWEVER--it's location is in Gainesville. The reason? The town of Callisburg uses the Gainesville zip code because they don't have one on their own. So technically, they, the town and school district, are in Gainesville. The thing that makes people in Gainesville laugh is that Callisburg HATES being called "Gainesville Callisburg" but that is their official name, according to the TEA and UIL. So everytime they advance in the playoffs or make it to State (which has really only been girl's golf for them) they will always be called Gainesville Callisburg. (That is until they get their own post office and zip code.) But while being called Gainesville Callisburg makes people in Callisburg upset, it makes people in Gainesville laugh. Because as much as Callisburg doesn't want to be associated with Gainesville, The Villa sure as hell doesn't want anything to do with Callisburg.

The majority of their students live in Far North Gainesville or Lake Kiowa. However, they are growing and were expected to go 3A last realignment. I don't know about this coming up one though, but I doubt it.

FOR PILOT POINT FANS AND EVERYONE ELSE--a funny story is when I was in middle school, we had a track meet called off in Sanger because it was freakin' cold--like 25 degrees. So our coach calls us to the lockerroom to tell us. Keep in mind, that my class at Gainesville won 17 track meets in a row in 7th and 8th grade. Anywho--we get a call from the Pilot Point middle school coach in the middle of our meeting, with him invited us to PP junior high for a meet. Well 10 minutes later we got on a bus headed for The Point. After the meet was over, the final score was Gainesville-208, Pilot Point-20, and Little Elm-7. Turns out, the Pilot Point coach thought he had called Callisburg (remember-Gainesville Callisburg) but instead had called the real Gainesville. You should have seen the Pilot Point coach's face when we got off the bus!

Old Dog
12-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the explanation and a pretty good story too. I bet the PP coach was a little more selective in his dialing next time around!

<small>[ December 23, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

District303aPastPlayer
12-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Didn't Port Arthur have 3 HS-- a 2A and 2 4A and then combine them all to have P.A. Memorial? This could be a possibility in 10 or so years if the town grows more and more...

KTJ
12-24-2003, 01:12 AM
PA did have those high schools. PA Lincoln, PA Jefferson, and I don't know the third. Now it's all PA Memorial. The same happened in Victoria. They had Victoria High and Victoria Stroman. Now they just have Victoria Memorial.

poncho
12-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Great story!!! Very interesting. :cool: :D

Keith7
12-25-2003, 02:26 AM
Callisburg has a pretty good basketball team this year though

WoodvilleFan
12-29-2003, 12:45 PM
KTJ:
PA did have those high schools. PA Lincoln, PA Jefferson, and I don't know the third. Now it's all PA Memorial. The same happened in Victoria. They had Victoria High and Victoria Stroman. Now they just have Victoria Memorial.The three high schools in Port Arthur were PA Lincoln (AAAA), PA Thomas Jefferson (AAAA) and Stephen F. Austin (SFA)(AA) aka Port Arthur Austin. They consolidated to PA Memorial last year.

Old No. 7
12-29-2003, 02:38 PM
LOL. Thanks for the info. KTJ and the story. :D