PDA

View Full Version : at&t is buying out t-mobile

MustangFootball
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
at&t is buying out t-mobile and this really sucks I've been with t-mobile since 2002 and never really had any problems maybe some of you at&t guys can give me yalls input on this matter and let me know what to expect with at&t.:mad:

Yoe_09
03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MustangFootball
at&t is buying out t-mobile and this really sucks I've been with t-mobile since 2002 and never really had any problems maybe some of you at&t guys can give me yalls input on this matter and let me know what to expect with at&t.:mad:

I've only been with AT&T for a few weeks but I have been pleased for far with my service. When you are in 3G areas the speeds are great and even in non-3G areas the speeds are not bad. With these two companies combined you are getting a win-win situation. You will now have a larger selection of phone along with better overall coverage. The biggest advantage for AT&T coverage is the speeds. Having the 4G network will be nice.

Blastoderm55
03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
ATT will be shuttering a lot of the T-Mobile spectrum. Ma Bell has been allowed to coalesce. This will not be good for consumers. I don't really care because I have a Go-Phone and a grandfathered $15 a month service from the U.S. Cellular days, but this won't be good for new customers and people who actually use their phone.

DavidWooderson
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
A lot of people gripe about AT&T but I've been a Cingular/AT&T customer since 2000 and haven't had any issues at all.

sahen
03-25-2011, 03:21 PM
i think it is funny that the government had to break up AT&T a while back for ant-trust issues and now they are slowly acquiring every mobile phone retailer...they basically are using the same buisness model as they did when they took over land lines...eventually the gov't will step in again...

Txbroadcaster
03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
A lot of people gripe about AT&T but I've been a Cingular/AT&T customer since 2000 and haven't had any issues at all.

Same here been with them since 2002 and never had a major issue, any small ones they always take care of asap

Pendragon13
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
I've only been with AT&T for a few weeks but I have been pleased for far with my service. When you are in 3G areas the speeds are great and even in non-3G areas the speeds are not bad. With these two companies combined you are getting a win-win situation. You will now have a larger selection of phone along with better overall coverage. The biggest advantage for AT&T coverage is the speeds. Having the 4G network will be nice. Not so fast on the bigger phone selection...I heard on the news that ATT will be asking T-mobile users to switch to a comparable ATT phone free of charge. The meaning of that is that once you do that you'll be automatically switched to an ATT contract wether you like it or not. This "merger" is more about getting rid of a competitor than expanding service..

1st and goal
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
This "merger" is more about getting rid of a competitor than expanding service..

Agreed, I mean a greedy company! ATT took over gte mobilnet, then cingular, then tmobil. IF YOU BUY UP THE COMPETITION, YOU CAN CHARGE WHATEVER YOU WANT.

Also, newcomers can't get unlimited data plans anymore. Only those grandfathered in will go forward. If you have unlimited data, pay your bill always on time (or close) so they don't have a reason to cut you off and get you off unlimited.

navscanmaster
03-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Agreed, I mean a greedy company! ATT took over gte mobilnet, then cingular, then tmobil. IF YOU BUY UP THE COMPETITION, YOU CAN CHARGE WHATEVER YOU WANT.

Also, newcomers can't get unlimited data plans anymore. Only those grandfathered in will go forward. If you have unlimited data, pay your bill always on time (or close) so they don't have a reason to cut you off and get you off unlimited.

If you have had it before (Iphone only) you can ask them to put the unlimited plan back on. If you did not previously have unlimited data, no go. However, tell them to turn it off so you can go to Verizon for unlimited data, you might get "grandfathered" anyhow.

1st and goal
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
double posted while listening to zeppelin kashmir...go figure

Yoe_09
03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Not so fast on the bigger phone selection...I heard on the news that ATT will be asking T-mobile users to switch to a comparable ATT phone free of charge. The meaning of that is that once you do that you'll be automatically switched to an ATT contract wether you like it or not. This "merger" is more about getting rid of a competitor than expanding service..

Well I kind of just meant overall with AT&T you would have a bigger selection overall. Making current T-Mobile customers switch phone just to get on another contract does not seem right. They should just let the current contracts go out and then go from there.

BaseballUmp
03-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Haha I was tripping. I was like is this the most awesome deja vu ever where I remember exactly what's coming next?

1st and goal
03-26-2011, 08:05 AM
My question is, does ATT use the same cell technology that Tmobile uses? Will they be able to add Tmobile's antennas to the ATT system? I have trouble everyday between Cooks Point and the Brazos on 21 dropping calls with ATT.

But what makes me the maddest is......I really enjoyed the new Tmobile girl commercials. She's easy on the eyes. GOTM or year in my mind!

Maroon87
03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

:smoker: ;)

Blastoderm55
03-26-2011, 12:16 PM
My question is, does ATT use the same cell technology that Tmobile uses? Will they be able to add Tmobile's antennas to the ATT system? I have trouble everyday between Cooks Point and the Brazos on 21 dropping calls with ATT.

But what makes me the maddest is......I really enjoyed the new Tmobile girl commercials. She's easy on the eyes. GOTM or year in my mind!

I don't think the technology is the same, which is why ATT has already announced that Tmobile customers will have to buy new ATT phones whenever their current contract expires. After the acquisition is finalized of course.

TMer25
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I don't think the technology is the same, which is why ATT has already announced that Tmobile customers will have to buy new ATT phones whenever their current contract expires. After the acquisition is finalized of course.

Same technology, they just use different bands of the wireless spectrum.

Blastoderm55
03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Same technology, they just use different bands of the wireless spectrum.

Gotcha. I misread the article.

coach
03-26-2011, 04:55 PM
always been with at&t and never really had any problems with them. i guess this is good considering we should have better service in more areas..

bigwood33
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Agreed, I mean a greedy company! ATT took over gte mobilnet, then cingular, then tmobil.
Not exactly true. GTE became Verizon...even the mobile division. It was a merger between Bell Atlantic and GTE...done to become the largest mobile network in the country.

Maroon87
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Not exactly true. GTE became Verizon...even the mobile division. It was a merger between Bell Atlantic and GTE...done to become the largest mobile network in the country.

True. My dad's home phone service was always GTE and he got rolled into Verizon.

bigwood33
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
True. My dad's home phone service was always GTE and he got rolled into Verizon.
I was working for them when it happened.