PDA

View Full Version : La Marque going 3A?

theville
03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=143232943&mid=143232943&sid=984&style=2

From TOC. numbers were in the 700's.

DavidWooderson
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Ugggggghhhhh I hope not. They still dominate 4A, they'll be killers in 3A.

BEAST
03-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by theville
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=143232943&mid=143232943&sid=984&style=2

From TOC. numbers were in the 700's.

They will be a load for anybody to handle. On a side note, I had a chance to visit with RB Edwards last weekend at the Bluebonnet Relays. Great kid!

BEAST

lv2937
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
Ugggggghhhhh I hope not. They still dominate 4A, they'll be killers in 3A. just like BROWNWOOD did when they moved down to 3a.

ol country boy
03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
There is a big difference between Brownwood and La Marque.

JasperDog94
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ol country boy
There is a big difference between Brownwood and La Marque. True.

waterboy
03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Actually, Brownwood hadn't had much success for a few years before they dropped to 3A. LaMarque is different in that they are a perennial power in 4A now. Just think how much more successful they can potentially be dropping down. I think they will have immediate success at the 3A level. I don't think they will be a shoo-in for a title just because of dropping down, but they will definitely be in the mix year in and year out, in my opinion.

Old Tiger
03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by lv2937
just like BROWNWOOD did when they moved down to 3a. La Marque is ahead of where Brownwood was when they were 4a.

trojandad
03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
we used to play lamarque in the 90's, including the state title run in 92, we always lost to them but they were great to play if you wanted to sharpen your skills.....

jason
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
in my opinion - other than the team carthage beat the hell out of, la marque was the least impressive of the teams at jerry world this year...

they wouldn't waltz through 3a by any means...

Old LB
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
La Marque is ahead of where Brownwood was when they were 4a.

When did they win their 7th state title?

Old Tiger
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
When did they win their 7th state title? I'm talking this decade not the 80s

Ernest T Bass
03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
A lot of their dip in enrollment came on the heels of Hurricane Rita. Some of that lost enrollment has returned. We'll see how much next October. Last I heard, they were well into the 800's for enrollment. Not a lock, but a possibly for 3a.

Saggy Aggie
03-24-2011, 10:20 AM
They'll likely be in our district. :doh: :doh: :doh:

And LaMarque >>>>>>>> Brownwood

I LOL'd at someone even trying to make that comparison.

SHSBulldog00
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Making playoff's just got tougher when this happens in two years.

ogg
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
Ugggggghhhhh I hope not. They still dominate 4A, they'll be killers in 3A.

Yup, just ask Phil Danaher from Calallen.

BwdLion73
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I say if they fit the bracket bring em in....:thinking: It will make for some great football conversation...unless you think that the move was POLITICALLY motivated. :)

poisoned10
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Henderson had struggled for several years at the 4A level. Then they drop to 3A and win state in their 1st year.

LaMarque is 100x the team Henderson is.

P.S. - Isn't it funny how no one has heard from Henderson and they win but EVERYONE has heard from EVERYONE in Brownwood and they haven't done anything in 3 seasons?

Ernest T Bass
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Henderson had struggled for several years at the 4A level. Then they drop to 3A and win state in their 1st year.

P.S. - Isn't it funny how no one has heard from Henderson and they win but EVERYONE has heard from EVERYONE in Brownwood and they haven't done anything in 3 seasons?

West Orange-Stark was a 4a power and has had relative success in 3a, but has yet to reach a state final(which they were predicted to do in their first year). Jasper was also predicted to dominate in 3a, and while they've had some success and reached one state final, they've fallen off considerably since then.
LM might break Celina's win record right off the bat, or they might go 3-7 again. Timing is everything.

BEAST
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10

Done nothing? 24-4 over the last 2 years. Hmmmm:thinking:

I bet that record puts us in the top 10 if not 5.

BEAST

Old Tiger
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST Your best team evar couldn't win a state title

Saggy Aggie
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM

BEAST Lol, by week 10 you won't even be ranked, and you MIGHT sneak into the playoffs. Hold your head high on that preseason ranking cuz it won't last.

Old Tiger
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Lol, by week 10 you won't even be ranked, and you MIGHT sneak into the playoffs. Hold your head high on that preseason ranking cuz it won't last. reminds me of this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

BEAST
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Lol, by week 10 you won't even be ranked, and you MIGHT sneak into the playoffs. Hold your head high on that preseason ranking cuz it won't last.

I wasn't talking about next years ranking. I was talking about top 5 or 10 in win/loss record the last 2 years. We will be just fine next year.

BEAST

theville
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Stephenville is 3-0 against La Marque.:D :D :D :D

La Marque has great athletes every year. Tough for like a Stephenville or maybe a Brownwood to compete with them year in and year out.

We dont have any athletes except for Edwards, LOL, and yes Beast, he is a great humble kid. Going to Baylor as well!:)

lv2937
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
A lot of their dip in enrollment came on the heels of Hurricane Rita. Some of that lost enrollment has returned. We'll see how much next October. Last I heard, they were well into the 800's for enrollment. Not a lock, but a possibly for 3a. by the uil web site, enrollment this year was 997.

BEAST
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by theville
Stephenville is 3-0 against La Marque.:D :D :D :D

La Marque has great athletes every year. Tough for like a Stephenville or maybe a Brownwood to compete with them year in and year out.

We dont have any athletes except for Edwards, LOL, and yes Beast, he is a great humble kid. Going to Baylor as well!:)

Good for him. But he isnt the only athlete you have. I was giving him a hard time because he was on the winners stand pretty often and our medals had maroon ribon and I kept telling him how good he looked in maroon. LOL. He was fun.

BEAST

Old LB
03-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Does anybody know how many of the current 3a's have been 4a in the past? Seems like everyone that made it deep in the playoffs last season had been 4a at one time.

Matthew328
03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
it all depends on the kids you have...Everman was a good 4A team but not a great team....they drop to 3A have some good classes come through and in four years win state twice and go to the semis once....its all about timing

theville
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
@ Beast.

My bad I mean having athletes compared to La Marque. ;) :cool:

I have not seen Edwards in a couple of months did he look any bigger?

Old Green
03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey theville, How does Stephenville's enrollment look for the next realignment?

Ernest T Bass
03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by lv2937
by the uil web site, enrollment this year was 997.

So, Im gonna guess they won't be dropping down next year.

big daddy russ
03-25-2011, 03:22 AM
In three or four games over the years, I've never seen LaMarque lose a pregame warmup. That's a scary team.

Maroon87
03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
In three or four games over the years, I've never seen LaMarque lose a pregame warmup. That's a scary team.

Yep. Their pregame....ummm...."routine" is unique. And I will leave it at that.:nerd:

theville
03-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Hey theville, How does Stephenville's enrollment look for the next realignment?

I think we will stay 4A. We are right now at 1, 050.

ol country boy
03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
The thing about the La Marque kids is that they don't think they can lose to anybody. They don't care who the coach is they just want to play and WIN.

ol country boy
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
From the GDN:

QB Speaking

“I’m not that surprised that coach Jordan decided to leave, but honestly, what made us so strong this past year were all the changes we’ve always had to go through,” Williams said. “It strengthened us and jelled us together, and change is nothing new to us.”

Williams’ sentiment hinted at the fact that although Jordan has departed, the Cougars’ determination to return to the state championship game and deliver La Marque’s sixth title hasn’t changed.

“He always put us in a position to win, and I applaud him for that,” Williams said. “But at the end of the day, it came down to the players on the field. We were the ones out there putting everything on the line for the wins, and that’s what we’re going to keep on doing, no matter who our coach is.”

bwdlionfan
03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Your best team evar couldn't win a state title

I'd hate to be from some podunk town with one 2A state championship team in 1976 and have to hang my hat on saying a team several hundred miles away from me is better than Brownwood.

How about this:

Brownwood > Rockdale (and in much more ways than just football)

bwdlionfan
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Actually, Brownwood hadn't had much success for a few years before they dropped to 3A. LaMarque is different in that they are a perennial power in 4A now. Just think how much more successful they can potentially be dropping down. I think they will have immediate success at the 3A level. I don't think they will be a shoo-in for a title just because of dropping down, but they will definitely be in the mix year in and year out, in my opinion.

Bingo... Brownwood missed the playoffs our last season in 4A and had made the playoffs several seasons in a row before that but with 1st or 2nd round exits each year. The last deep run we'd made was 2002 when we went to the semi-finals in 4A.

Pendragon13
03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jason
in my opinion - other than the team carthage beat the hell out of, la marque was the least impressive of the teams at jerry world this year...

they wouldn't waltz through 3a by any means... Yup, as already pointed out...just dropping down doesn't guarantee success even if you had some at the higher level. For example, every team in 5-3A (except for Abilene Wylie) were 4A not that long ago...

BEAST
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Bingo... Brownwood missed the playoffs our last season in 4A and had made the playoffs several seasons in a row before that but with 1st or 2nd round exits each year. The last deep run we'd made was 2002 when we went to the semi-finals in 4A.

Wrong. The 06'-07' season we went to the quarters only to lose to distrct mate and state finalist Waco High.

BEAST

Old Tiger
03-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd hate to be from some podunk town with one 2A state championship team in 1976 and have to hang my hat on saying a team several hundred miles away from me is better than Brownwood.

How about this:

Brownwood > Rockdale (and in much more ways than just football) you don't hear our podunk people bragging about stuff from then do you? You brag on your past as if it is relevent now days.

2a then = 3a today.

bwdlionfan
03-26-2011, 01:44 PM
you don't hear our podunk people bragging about stuff from then do you? You brag on your past as if it is relevent now days.

2a then = 3a today.

If you can't even spell relevant then how relevant is your argument?

Brownwood=more wins than any other program in 3A, and that includes 14 wins from this past season, so I'd say that is relevant.

bwdlionfan
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Wrong. The 06'-07' season we went to the quarters only to lose to distrct mate and state finalist Waco High.

BEAST

Whoops you're right. I forgot we did have some success our second to last year in 4A.

Old Tiger
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
If you can't even spell relevant then how relevant is your argument?

Brownwood=more wins than any other program in 3A, and that includes 14 wins from this past season, so I'd say that is relevant. Did you win a state title....no so your team is just the same as every other team in 3a regardless of how far your playoff run went.

WOS87
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
meh... WO-S beat them (and Calallen) in 2000 as the smallest 4A school in the state

Look forward to seeing them again

Ernest T Bass
03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
meh... WO-S beat them (and Calallen) in 2000 as the smallest 4A school in the state

Look forward to seeing them again

And who was it that beat WO-S that year? I can't seem to remember. :D

WOS87
03-27-2011, 06:21 PM
And who was it that beat WO-S that year? I can't seem to remember. :D

hmmmm.... I recall outscoring that team 24-7 in the 2nd half in the state finals. Damn spread offense... first time we ever came up against it.

:D :(

Ernest T Bass
03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
hmmmm.... I recall outscoring that team 24-7 in the 2nd half in the state finals. Damn spread offense... first time we ever came up against it.

Actually, WO-S outscored us 18-7 in the 2nd half, b/c we outscored the Stangs 31-6 in the first half. :D
Very junior-laden team, and very few of them played in the 2nd half. It was all seniors in the 4th quarter.

WOS87
03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Nope... it was 31-0 at the half

Click here --->LINK (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/ennis00a.gif)

Ernest T Bass
03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
You're right. For some reason, I was thinking our complete 1st team had given up one TD.
To be fair, I knew during pregame the game was over. When I looked across the field and saw WOS kids still looking up at the hole in the roof and the star on the 50, I knew it was over. It was our 10th time in 3 years to play in that stadium.

WOS87
03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
You're right. For some reason, I was thinking our complete 1st team had given up one TD.
To be fair, I knew during pregame the game was over. When I looked across the field and saw WOS kids still looking up at the hole in the roof and the star on the 50, I knew it was over. It was our 10th time in 3 years to play in that stadium.

Whatever... we were the 2nd best team in 4A that year, having given the 4A D1 Champs Bay City their only loss of the season, and winning more games than any other 4A team going 15-1... with a rough schedule including big wins over Bay City, La Marque, Calallen, #5 ranked Nederland and #8 ranked Port Arthur Lincoln (Ennis 14-2, Bay City 14-1).

Unfortunately there won't be any rematch with Ennis in the near future as they won't be dropping to 3A any time soon... would love to see it though.

Back to original topic... when LaMarque drops will they be Region 3 or 4? I'm guessing 4

bwdlionfan
03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Did you win a state title....no so your team is just the same as every other team in 3a regardless of how far your playoff run went.

You are a fool. You judge success ONLY by winning a title? Granted that is the ultimate goal for any team, but to say a 14-1 team would be the same as an 0-10 team (or a 5-6 Rockdale team) is asinine.

Honestly, I'd rather see the team I support make the playoffs year in and year out, go a few rounds deep, and be in the mix for a title than to see my team win one title and then have mediocre 5-5 seasons. As long as Brownwood can keep putting together 12-15 game seasons I'll be happy regardless of whether or not we ever win that 8th title.

TheDOCTORdre
03-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Yup, as already pointed out...just dropping down doesn't guarantee success even if you had some at the higher level. For example, every team in 5-3A (except for Abilene Wylie) were 4A not that long ago...

what are you talking about Abilene Wylie is 4A:D

TheDOCTORdre
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I'll be happy regardless of whether or not we ever win that 8th title.

that would make looking4number8 not have to deal with the trouble of having to change his name too

Ernest T Bass
03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Whatever... we were the 2nd best team in 4A that year, having given the 4A D1 Champs Bay City their only loss of the season, and winning more games than any other 4A team going 15-1... with a rough schedule including big wins over Bay City, La Marque, Calallen, #5 ranked Nederland and #8 ranked Port Arthur Lincoln (Ennis 14-2, Bay City 14-1).

Unfortunately there won't be any rematch with Ennis in the near future as they won't be dropping to 3A any time soon... would love to see it though.

Back to original topic... when LaMarque drops will they be Region 3 or 4? I'm guessing 4

Didn't mean anything by that. Was saying that WOS seemed a little distracted by the surroundings. In a different stadium, would have probably been a different game.
And Ennis would have loved a rematch with WO-S in 2001 or the next few years, but they want no part of the Stangs now! There's better athletes on the coaching staff than on the team thesedays.
Im hearing that La Marque is well above 900 now and is expected to be over 1,000 next school year. So it doesn't look like they'll be dropping this go 'round.

Old Tiger
03-28-2011, 01:25 PM
You are a fool. You judge success ONLY by winning a title? Granted that is the ultimate goal for any team, but to say a 14-1 team would be the same as an 0-10 team (or a 5-6 Rockdale team) is asinine.

Honestly, I'd rather see the team I support make the playoffs year in and year out, go a few rounds deep, and be in the mix for a title than to see my team win one title and then have mediocre 5-5 seasons. As long as Brownwood can keep putting together 12-15 game seasons I'll be happy regardless of whether or not we ever win that 8th title. You play for a state championship...no one plays to be second place.