PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Hill's staff and kids seem to be on a mission.

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Bootcamp started this week with classroom and field workouts. The staff is doing some great work with these kids both mentally and physically.

The kids are pounding the weight room and working very hard on the field with a smile of their face.

I have been around CH athletics for a long time and havent seen such dedication as this year. The coaching staff is pushing these kids hard. I think the kids have a very bad taste in their mouth after coming so close last year.

CH is returning a ton while moving up some good talent. Looking forward to another great season.

Gsquared
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Cant wait to see the Bulldogs a couple of times this year.

baseballcoach13
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Good lawd I hope they arent in the same division as us again next year...those boys are cut from a different cloth.

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
REAL boot camp, or just what they call their offseason program?

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
REAL boot camp, or just what they call their offseason program?

They call it Bulldog Bootcamp which is part of their offseason training.

Starts with the athletes in the classroom teaching the qualities they want the athlete to possess (demostrating character, brotherhood, etc)

After the week of classroom (last week) they begin with the physical side with drills at different stations.

Kinda cool because the entire school gets involved supporting the kids. The first day everyone wears camo symbolizing the first day of bootcamp. Signs of support are hung throughout the locker room and hallways.

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chillfan
They call it Bulldog Bootcamp which is part of their offseason training.

Starts with the athletes in the classroom teaching the qualities they want the athlete to possess (demostrating character, brotherhood, etc)

After the week of classroom (last week) they begin with the physical side with drills at different stations.

Kinda cool because the entire school gets involved supporting the kids. The first day everyone wears camo symbolizing the first day of bootcamp. Signs of support are hung throughout the locker room and hallways.

Sounds like REAL boot camp. The program that was started by DW Rutledge at Judson. If CH is doing that right, then look out. Boot Camp done right creates champions!

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Sounds like REAL boot camp. The program that was started by DW Rutledge at Judson. If CH is doing that right, then look out. Boot Camp done right creates champions!

yep we did it in MArshall and it was called the Mav Maker...had some former teammates who went into the military and they said the physical side of the Mav Maker was just as tough as the physical side of military boot camp

I wish Marshall still did it

Old Tiger
03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
hopefully its nothing like the boot camp Iowa did.

It sounds awesome though and CH should be tough next season.

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 02:19 PM

I like the way they hit the classroom before the field. Before hitting the physical side, they teach the kids how to fight for one another no matter the race, etc. They have showed movie clips from vietnam where small numbers of men defeated huge armies by working together. The coaches are trying to teach the kids to respected men well after high school which is something i love seeing taught. To me, this is way more important than winning football games.

The encourage the public to come watch and support. Girls athletics is doing the same thing.

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2011, 02:21 PM

wated to add..Rutledge did not start it..it was started by whoever was before him..Rutledge and my coach( Dennis Parker) were the OC and DC at Judson together

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I like the way they hit the classroom before the field. Before hitting the physical side, they teach the kids how to fight for one another no matter the race, etc. They have showed movie clips from vietnam where small numbers of men defeated huge armies by working together. The coaches are trying to teach the kids to respected men well after high school which is something i love seeing taught. To me, this is way more important than winning football games.

The encourage the public to come watch and support. Girls athletics is doing the same thing.

Ive done it everywhere Ive been since I first learned it and will bring it with me everywhere I go. No boot camp=no Coach Bass. It's amazing the transformation you see in the kids, and then you see them fall back on it during the season, especially when facing adversity.
I know several 5a state champions who attribute their success to the boot camp program.

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yep we did it in MArshall and it was called the Mav Maker...had some former teammates who went into the military and they said the physical side of the Mav Maker was just as tough as the physical side of military boot camp

I wish Marshall still did it

Sounds like the "Mav Maker" was tough.

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
wated to add..Rutledge did not start it..it was started by whoever was before him..Rutledge and my coach( Dennis Parker) were the OC and DC at Judson together

Damned if DW doesn't get, and claim, credit for it. Jim Rackley, current HC at Judson, claims to have been there the first year it was implimented by DW. Maybe he started it as a coordinator.

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Damned if DW doesn't get, and claim, credit for it. Jim Rackley, current HC at Judson, claims to have been there the first year it was implimented by DW. Maybe he started it as a coordinator.

maybe..Parker always said he got the basis of the Mav Maker from the HC when he was a OC and developed it from that idea into the program we did LOL

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Ive done it everywhere Ive been since I first learned it and will bring it with me everywhere I go. No boot camp=no Coach Bass. It's amazing the transformation you see in the kids, and then you see them fall back on it during the season, especially when facing adversity.
I know several 5a state champions who attribute their success to the boot camp program.

The athletes are staying in the weight room and the ones that arent are getting pressure from the ones that do.

Where most times the coaches are forcing them in the weight room, now the kids are staying on kids about getting in there.

Its a awesome transformation.

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Boot camp really isn't about the physical aspect. It's the mental aspect. Overcoming adversity, not getting frustrated, maintaining focus(HUGE part of it), teamwork, attention to detail, etc...Other than some conditioning, there's really not any physical gains made from it. They have to get that after school in the weight room.
The idea is a series of drills(with adversity created by the coaches) that have to be performed to perfection(many require teamwork), and I mean PERFECTION, down to the smallest detail. Every mistake made by anyone is counted and results in 5 quick pushups. Boot Camp doesn't end until the entire team goes through an entire day mistake free. Most of the time, the first day has around 700 mistakes.

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Boot camp really isn't about the physical aspect. It's the mental aspect. Overcoming adversity, not getting frustrated, maintaining focus(HUGE part of it), teamwork, attention to detail, etc...Other than some conditioning, there's really not any physical gains made from it. They have to get that after school in the weight room.
The idea is a series of drills(with adversity created by the coaches) that have to be performed to perfection(many require teamwork), and I mean PERFECTION, down to the smallest detail. Every mistake made by anyone is counted and results in 5 quick pushups. Boot Camp doesn't end until the entire team goes through an entire day mistake free. Most of the time, the first day has around 700 mistakes.

Good description Bass. Its all about teamwork and each other being held accountable. First day was ugly but better the next.

NastySlot
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM

The coach before Rutledge if I remember right was Frank Arnold........now as to who to credit....I've always just called it the Judson Boot camp.

CENTEX FAN
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
When did Judson start this? DeKalb was doing a boot camp style off season in the mid-70's under Brown L. Smith. Very intense, very team oriented. It was designed to teach the kids to depend on each other when the going got tough in the playoffs.

Chillfan
03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NKKP12sM1o

Some of last years Camp

Txbroadcaster
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NKKP12sM1o

Some of last years Camp

yep that is exactly what we did in Marshall

split into three groups...Red, white and Grey..you wanted to be on the red team, meant you were top dog...those mats destroyed and rebuilt alot of football players. I think we had to do it 3 weeks then after that we would stop after a perfect day

We did rope drill instead of the logs

Ernest T Bass
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I see a few differences, but the general premise is still the same. No doubt in my mind it's the reason that CH had the season they had this year. I know of several state championship programs that attribute their success to boot camp.

Chillfan
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
bootcamp pics

http://www.ihigh.com/chapelhillfootball/index.html