PDA

View Full Version : Opting Out of Standardized Tests In Schools?

Bullaholic
03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Should parents be able to opt their children out of standardized tests in schools?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/20/pennsylvania.school.testing/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Old Tiger
03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Standardized testing is just ways for the school to make money and does not really let your kid get as much knowledge as they should.

Ernest T Bass
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Standardized testing is just ways for the school to make money and does not really let your kid get as much knowledge as they should.

Wrong. It's to make sure that every kid in Texas with a high school diploma has at least the same basic skills and knowledge. It's the only thing that ensures that a diploma from Rockdale is just as valuable as a diploma from Southlake. It is a necessity(Dexter Manley, anyone?). I think it should be more about the kids and less about the schools, but when people start screaming for schools to follow the "business model"(you don't really want that, trust me), this is what you get.

icu812
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
This lady is correct and I'd opt my kids out in a heartbeat. A complete was of time for both my kids for two completely different reasons and it is mentally/physically harmful for one. One breezes through. The other has little chance of passing for a reason beyond anyone's control. He goes through the year completely stressed out. Would be better for both to be in class learning. The teachers need to be taking these standardized tests instead of the kids. My spouse is a teacher btw.

garciap77
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

How does the school make money?

NastySlot
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM

make money? I thought the state couldn't balance a budget and we were going to be short for education.

icu812
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by icu812
This lady is correct and I'd opt my kids out in a heartbeat. A complete was of time for both my kids for two completely different reasons and it is mentally/physically harmful for one. One breezes through. The other has little chance of passing for a reason beyond anyone's control. He goes through the year completely stressed out. Would be better for both to be in class learning. The teachers need to be taking these standardized tests instead of the kids. My spouse is a teacher btw.

meant to say waste of time