PDA

View Full Version : Spring is here...

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
What types of flowers is everyone planting in their beds? :)

BaseballUmp
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Not trying to plant any kinds of seeds in my bed...not for a loooooong time

AP Panther Fan
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Woo Hoo....

Right now, getting the house ready for paint.

I am looking forward to the flower beds though! I could use some suggestions. They need to be hardy. :D

bobcat1
03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
What types of flowers is everyone planting in their beds? :) You should have titled this Women only. That's women's work. I fish.:D

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Woo Hoo....

I am looking forward to the flower beds though! I could use some suggestions. They need to be hardy. :D
Oooh, we're in the middle of painting our house, too! (Update coming!)

I really am going to try to spruce my beds up. I'm thinking maybe some Alyssum, Nierembergia & Ruellia, if I can find them. And maybe a rose bush or two.

bobcat1
03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Oooh, we're in the middle of painting our house, too! (Update coming!)

I really am going to try to spruce my beds up. I'm thinking maybe some Alyssum, Nierembergia & Ruellia, if I can find them. And maybe a rose bush or two. I can see it now!

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6830/53524image604purplehous.jpg

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I can see it now!

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6830/53524image604purplehous.jpg
:foul: :foul: :foul: I tried, but lhpd put his foot down. :p

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Woo Hoo....

Are tulips or daisies considered hardy? :confused:

LH Panther Mom
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Are tulips or daisies considered hardy? :confused:
Yeah, probably, but tulips don't work around here because the bulbs don't get to hibernate (or whatever they do). Plus, the bulbs needed to already be in the ground, even in places where they do well.

Hmmmmmm....daisies is a thought. Purple ones!!!!!!!

bobcat1
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Are tulips or daisies considered hardy? :confused: No but Mesquite and Prickly Pears are in your neck of the woods. Tulips and Daisies are for east of Dallas.:D

bobcat1
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, probably, but tulips don't work around here because the bulbs don't get to hibernate (or whatever they do). Plus, the bulbs needed to already be in the ground, even in places where they do well.

Tell LHPD to lighten up. Y'all could have been the Pink Panthers.:tongue:

Here ya go!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3625/262886098959e7ca3525.jpg

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Oh okay. I have no clue. Do daises grow in maroon and how about tulips?

Sweetwater Red
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
No but Mesquite and Prickly Pears are in your neck of the woods. Tulips and Daisies are for east of Dallas.:D

Yep. The only flower that grows well out here is Bluebonnets. Imagine that. Lol

eagleqb_14
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
yay lol

coach
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Spring is in the air....anybody remember that scene in Dumb and Dumber lol

Saggy Aggie
03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Not trying to plant any kinds of seeds in my bed...not for a loooooong time +1

Ranger Mom
03-21-2011, 08:47 PM

So far I have planted Hibiscus, Gernaniums, Vinca, moss rose, 4 o'clocks, morning glories, Lantana, mexican petunia, poppies, petunias, a fern, bougainvillea, clematis, begonias, azaleas, an ivy......and a bunch of trailing flower plants to fall out of the pots and some green viney things.:D

I am now out of pots and flowerbeds on Kiki's Korner....when I get my pond redone, I will put more plants out there among the overgrown Virginia Creeper!!

buckeyebob
03-22-2011, 05:42 AM
I scored points this weekend...I was not in trouble, I had no guilt, and my flower beds were clean...I bought my wife a hanging basket out of the blue...I am now the best husband ever. I've refined sucking up to an art form.

pirate4state
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Everytime we've tried to throw seeds out to "grow" wildflowers the damn birds get to 'em so I've given up.

We have a bunch of the pretty pink flowers everywhere and I did notice some kind of purple flower/weed growing in different patches around the yard.

Can you tell I have no clue what I'm talking about? :D

Cam
03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
You should have titled this Women only. That's women's work. I fish.:D

Shoot! I must be turnin' into a womans....I love plants, trees, flowers and such....but I only like perennials and roses cause I don't like it when they don't come back every year. So, I plant alot of bulbs and see them bloom every year. But I'm big into trees. I've planted:
12 Bradford Pear, two pear trees, two apple trees (which gave me really sweet apples last year albeit small ones), three peach trees, cherry tree, two figs, apricot, chinkapin oak, Monterrey oak, fan-tex ash, 3 elm trees, Chinese pistachio, purple plum, several redbuds, rose of sharon, many crape myrtles, 2 red maples, catalpa, scarlett buckeye, Ginko biloba, cottonless cottonwood, wax myrtle, photinia, dogwood, sycamore, cherry laurel, live oaks, bald cypress, pine, and heaven knows what else...Just two weeks ago I finally found a Bigtooth Maple and planted it. Cost me $$$. I hear they grow well in the hill country. Anyway, I'm just tryin' to create my own little forest where my wife can chase me around! Usually with a fryin' pan!!! :D
Since my wife always wanted a white picket fence garden, by golly I built her a big one! But now only my 11 yr. old son uses it to plant his vegetables...
Oh, by the way, I still fish......

AP Panther Fan
03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
mexican petunia

Now THOSE are seriously hardy plants and considered invasive. I like them alot and just keep pulling up the ones that pop up in places I don't want them. I really like the dwarf variety that grow in clumps. Funny thing about mexican petunias is that when you water them they literally shoot seeds at you...you hear the popping noise and feel them hitting your legs.

I prefer perennials to annuals. Another hardy flowering plant is a blue plumbago (also comes in white). I might try some of these in a pot because like the mexican petunias they spread like wildfire and aren't as easy to pull up the undesired ones.

I like the daisy idea, would just need to find a hardy family member. Gerbera daisies are great, I just need practice with them, I think.

Yellow Bells are a hardy flowering shrub. Hummingbirds love them.

http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/images/full/Tecoma%20stans.jpg

Ranger Mom
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Now THOSE are seriously hardy plants and considered invasive. I like them alot and just keep pulling up the ones that pop up in places I don't want them. I really like the dwarf variety that grow in clumps. Funny thing about mexican petunias is that when you water them they literally shoot seeds at you...you hear the popping noise and feel them hitting your legs.

I prefer perennials to annuals. Another hardy flowering plant is a blue plumbago (also comes in white). I might try some of these in a pot because like the mexican petunias they spread like wildfire and aren't as easy to pull up the undesired ones.

I like the daisy idea, would just need to find a hardy family member. Gerbera daisies are great, I just need practice with them, I think.

I had heard that about mexican petunia, but where they are, they can't spread too much. The Virginia Creeper in my back yard is obnoxious!!!!

ccmom
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM

I planted purple daisies last spring and they did SO well. I plan to spend the upcoming weekend between the baseball park and the flower beds. I love this time of year!! :)

sinton66
03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Bluebonnet Trail is waking up. Saw on the news they are already showing up in this area.

AP Panther Fan
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
The Virginia Creeper in my back yard is obnoxious!!!!

I had to look this one up. Sounds like they are known for their "fall" foliage, but perhaps hard to tolerate? Not that you want to get rid of yours, but just in case....

Killing Virginia Creeper:
Some folks dislike its aggressive growth habits and are intent on killing Virginia creeper. Since it grows so high, it's impractical to try killing Virginia creeper (a mature plant, that is) by spraying its leaves. Instead, cut the vine's trunk (near ground level), then apply the strongest concentrate of glyphosate (Roundup) you can buy to the fresh wound. An organic method of killing Virginia creeper is to dig it out, but this is easier said than done, as the plant spreads via rhizomes.

I have an obnoxious Sago Palm. I come out much worse than the palm when I try to remove the "babies"....

MUSTANG69
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM

http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/images/full/Tecoma%20stans.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

Yellow Bells are great for butterflies also. My wife has some planted near the patio. The butterflies get so thick I have to throw beer cans at them to get rid of them.:D

AP Panther Fan
03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Yellow Bells are great for butterflies also. My wife has some planted near the patio. The butterflies get so thick I have to throw beer cans at them to get rid of them.:D

lol....needless to say, empty beer cans.:D

I'm glad the poor, unsuspecting butterflies provide you with entertainment. Actually I bet it is a bit more entertaining for your wife watching you try to hit them.:p

Cam
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I had to look this one up. Sounds like they are known for their "fall" foliage, but perhaps hard to tolerate? Not that you want to get rid of yours, but just in case....

Killing Virginia Creeper:
Some folks dislike its aggressive growth habits and are intent on killing Virginia creeper. Since it grows so high, it's impractical to try killing Virginia creeper (a mature plant, that is) by spraying its leaves. Instead, cut the vine's trunk (near ground level), then apply the strongest concentrate of glyphosate (Roundup) you can buy to the fresh wound. An organic method of killing Virginia creeper is to dig it out, but this is easier said than done, as the plant spreads via rhizomes.

I have an obnoxious Sago Palm. I come out much worse than the palm when I try to remove the "babies"....

Be careful with them folks from Virginia. I've never met a single person from Virginia that isn't creepy......

44INAROW
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
So far I have planted Hibiscus, Gernaniums, Vinca, moss rose, 4 o'clocks, morning glories, Lantana, mexican petunia, poppies, petunias, a fern, bougainvillea, clematis, begonias, azaleas, an ivy......and a bunch of trailing flower plants to fall out of the pots and some green viney things.:D

I am now out of pots and flowerbeds on Kiki's Korner....when I get my pond redone, I will put more plants out there among the overgrown Virginia Creeper!!

love me some Hibiscus and morning glories.............
and thank you LHPM for a real thread :)

Cam
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Careful with some varieties of morning glories. I planted one from seed (not sure of the name). It blooms purple flowers. Holy cow, this thing grew like crazy and took over everything. Completely covered some of our shrubs. Pretty, but very tough to control...

AP Panther Fan
03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Be careful with them folks from Virginia. I've never met a single person from Virginia that isn't creepy......

lol....at least we know how to either kill them or make them extremely mad....:D Sounds like you should own your own tree farm. Wow, that is a large variety of trees planted. I have native live oaks, 3 Arizona ash, a single pecan and a Florida palm. I want to plant something that flowers, maybe an olive tree and a Magnolia (they are kinda messy though).

44inarow....it was like LHPM was reading my mind....;)

pancho villa
03-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I love tulips! LOL

Cam
03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I love tulips! LOL

For real? Man so do I! And I tip-toe thru those sons-a-bitches every chance I get!
By the way, living on the river bottoms of Buchanan Dam, I can grow tulips very well unlike someone else who said they couldn't in this neck of the woods....

Cam
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
lol....at least we know how to either kill them or make them extremely mad....:D Sounds like you should own your own tree farm. Wow, that is a large variety of trees planted. I have native live oaks, 3 Arizona ash, a single pecan and a Florida palm. I want to plant something that flowers, maybe an olive tree and a Magnolia (they are kinda messy though).

I wish I had a tree farm. I could retire doing something like that. Oh yea, I got two pecan trees. They are sooo slow growing at my place...also had one magnolia but the heavy flood rains a few years back knocked it out...

Cam
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM

44...you tryin' to imply my threads ain't real? you tryin' to pick a fight? :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I do what I can! :devil:

:evillol: :evillol: :iagree:

44INAROW
03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Careful with some varieties of morning glories. I planted one from seed (not sure of the name). It blooms purple flowers. Holy cow, this thing grew like crazy and took over everything. Completely covered some of our shrubs. Pretty, but very tough to control...
like a vine thingy? We planted something once and didn't realize it was a "vine" and man, took forever to get that crap out of the flowerbeds

44INAROW
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Cam
44...you tryin' to imply my threads ain't real? you tryin' to pick a fight? :thinking:
me, pick a fight?? never.......... I'm all about peace and co-exsistence :)

Cam
03-23-2011, 10:07 AM
like a vine thingy? We planted something once and didn't realize it was a "vine" and man, took forever to get that crap out of the flowerbeds

yep that's it...a vine thingy.....it's startin' to come out again

AP Panther Fan
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Another "vine thingy" to avoid is Mexican Honeysuckle (reddish-orange flowers). They look innocent enough, but have a root system that just goes crazy. Hard to get rid off.

crabman
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Dianthus is the way to go. Extremely hardy in the summer and they will not freeze in winter. They are in the carnation family but extremely tough. Mediterranean Vincas are not available until May or so but they do well year after year. Regular vincas (periwinkles) grow tall and get leggy. Mediterranean vincas sort of vine and crawl. The hotter the better. The last one is blue plumbago. It will come back good after a freeze. Once again, the hotter the better.

SintonFan
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Everytime we've tried to throw seeds out to "grow" wildflowers the damn birds get to 'em so I've given up.

We have a bunch of the pretty pink flowers everywhere and I did notice some kind of purple flower/weed growing in different patches around the yard.

Can you tell I have no clue what I'm talking about? :D

Seriously. Get a Cat and take it "for a walk"...
it'll come back hungry. Take care of the bird problem.:D

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Dianthus is the way to go. Extremely hardy in the summer and they will not freeze in winter. They are in the carnation family but extremely tough.

I took your advice and planted some dianthus (hot pink). So far, so good...

I also planted a couple of Mexican fan palms and a Kangaroo's Paw.

Ernest T Bass
04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
I know it's Spring b/c my kids are acting like deer in rut season.

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I know it's Spring b/c my kids are acting like deer in rut season.

I love Spring, but am always glad when the wind stops blowing so hard. It is impossible to enjoy the outdoors when it is either windy and/or still cool and windy.

I guess kids are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel about now.