PDA

View Full Version : WO-S's H.C. Dan Hooks to Retire in June!

88bobcats
03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
per KOGT.COM

by Gary Stelly

"It was a good run wasn't it," Dan Hooks said from his office Friday when asked if he was leaving West Orange-Stark at the end of the school year.

Citing budget cuts the school district put together a retirement/early leave plan for certain employees and gave them a March 18 deadline to decide. Hooks was enticed by the plan.

"I'm 72 and have been thinking about retiring but I know we're going to have a good team next season. It was hard to leave that kind of money on the table," he said.

It was said Hooks was wanting to take the money but still coach the football team in the fall and then leave in December at the Christmas break. When asked about that plan Hooks seemed diplomatic in saying, "Wellll, I just think now was the right time." He then said, "I can tell you this, I'll be watching football somewhere on Friday night."

I asked if he'll be able to watch the Mustangs play without being on the sidelines. "I plan on being at the Nederland game (season opener) since its at Lamar. After that we'll just have to see."

Hooks will stay on as Athletic Director through June 30. As to his successor, he wouldn't say whether or not he was recommending anyone for the job. "The new superintendent (James Colbert) has been around sports and knows what he wants. I'm sure he'll hire the right person."

marler1972
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Great Coach

Old Tiger
03-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Heard Fitzhenry is the leading candidate.

griff
03-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

They would never hire that guy. Cornel Thompson, Hook's right hand man and DC all these years, is the best choice to fill his shoes. I hope the school board does the right thing.

trojandad
03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
tremendous era ending with his retirement and barbay's passing....i asked about this earlier last year after reggie's passing.....he's just such a great guy and coach that something that tragic can sure take the wind out of your sails....

wish him nothing but the best, it'll sure be difficult replacing him....

Billy_The_Kid
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by griff
They would never hire that guy. Cornel Thompson, Hook's right hand man and DC all these years, is the best choice to fill his shoes. I hope the school board does the right thing.

I bet Thompson retires too

cr180t
03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Will leave big shoes for the next guy.

griff
03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Billy_The_Kid
I bet Thompson retires too

Nope. He's staying.

1st and goal
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Now why you gotta be like that? I like it better when you stick to GOTM....

trojandad
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
any word yet on who will replace him?

i sure hope this doesn't have a bad effect on the guys left.....losing reggie and now coach could be a tough set of problems for young guys to overcome.....hoping for the best, those young men have been thru a lot in a year......