PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Refugio - 1836

Phil C
03-17-2011, 10:18 AM
This battle is one in the Texas Revolution in 1836 and is often overlooked in comparison to Goliad, the Alamo and Jan Jacinto among other battles but it did take place at the mission just right by the Mission River. It is where you come in from the South on Hwy 77 just north of the Mission River where the Catholic Church is today. I posted about it before but unfortunately I can't find my post or I would include it here. But the March 10, 2011 issue of The Portland (TX) News had another story on it on page 2 of that issue. I will write as the article is written which was under Evolution of Texas:

"March 12, 1836

The Battle of Refugion begins when Amon B. King and 29 men attempt to take on Carlos de la Garza and apporximately 80 rancheros who were serving under Mexican General Jose de Urrea's army after being sent to Nuestra Senora del Refugio Mission in Refugio to help families trappped there by Garza and his men to escapte to Goliad. Garza and his rancheros won, forcing King, his 29 men and the families they were charged with bringing to safety to return and take refuge back at the mission. As a result, James W. Fannin, Jr. dispatched Lt. Col. William Ward and the Georgia Battalion along with men from Peyton S. Wyatt's command to help King and the others reach Goliad. Ward abated the siege, but things went down hill from there. Ward and King butt heads on rank. They also disagreed on stragedy; King once again set out to fight Garza and the rancheros while Ward and some of the others remained at the mission. Those who stayed were soon surrounded by Urrea and 1,500 of his men. Ward and his party fought valiantly by all accounts but, with the exception of those kept on as laborers, were executed on March 27, 1836 after they surrendered to Urrea and forced to march to La Bahia (near Goliad). King, along with those who chose to fight with him, were also taken as prisoners and exectued by Urrea (among King's party, only three men were spared)."

Phil C
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Those that would like to purchase this newspaper and read the article there can probably order a copy by calling 361-364-1270 to get assistance on how to order it. Remember it is the March 10, 2011 issue of the Portland News.

bigwood33
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Phil, I love Texas history.

bobcat1
03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Thanks Phil, I love Texas history. +1:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lostaussie
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Sometimes you see a thread title..................and you know who started it without looking. This would be one of those times:D

MJMbrahmas10
03-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Can we get more of this on the dl

Phil C
03-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
Can we get more of this on the dl

I will see if they have any more published MJM. I know the publisher so I can get back issues.

Rabid Cougar
03-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Early Texas History was full with this type activity. The only way Spain delt with revolutionaries was kill every last one of them, specially during the period from about 1802 thru 1820. The Mexican officers who served in the Spanish Army during the Spanish era learned their trade in dong so. When it came time for them to deal with the American/Texians, they did so in the same manner. There was no surviving surrender. Had Santa Anna captures Houston and his Army the same fate would have befallen them too.

At the time of the Texas War of Independence, there were actually three times the number of American/ Texians in Texas than those of Mexican descent.

raider red 2000
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
thanks for the info.

this is a really neat area.

Some streets in Refugio have some strange names that I cant seem to find a translation for.

for example: Ymbacion (I have no idea what that translates to)

BEAST
03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Good stuff. I love history.

BEAST

sinton66
03-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
thanks for the info.

this is a really neat area.

Some streets in Refugio have some strange names that I cant seem to find a translation for.

for example: Ymbacion (I have no idea what that translates to)

It may be a proper name and if so, there wouldn't be a translation.