View Full Version : Android or Iphone

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Anyone had both? Would love to know pro and cons

Yoe_09
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Anyone had both? Would love to know pro and cons

I had a Ipod Touch and now have an HTC. I went with the HTC because I was looking for something different. I had the touch for about a year and then it stopped working for reasons unknown but it did not really factor into my decision. Either way your getting a good phone. It you go Android go HTC.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
I had a Ipod Touch and now have an HTC. I went with the HTC because I was looking for something different. I had the touch for about a year and then it stopped working for reasons unknown but it did not really factor into my decision. Either way your getting a good phone. It you go Android go HTC.

I really like the Samsung Captivate and it got great reviews

Yoe_09
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I really like the Samsung Captivate and it got great reviews

That one actually made my final 3 and appears to be a good phone.

PPHSfan
03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
My youngest son is affiliated with Verizon. He had the Droid since day one, always upgrading to the newest models. He now has an iPhone 4 and swears it is the way to go.

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Ive had the Iphone 3gs for 2 years now. Freakin' love it!

Old Tiger
03-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm probably going to go with the iphone this summer when the iphone 5 is released. I will go with AT&T because I can save about $10-20. That is unless I choose not to get insurance on my phone with Verizon.

How much is Verizon phone insurance for the iphone btw?

PPHSfan
03-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't get insurance from Verizon. Get insurance from apple.

Old Tiger
03-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Don't get insurance from Verizon. Get insurance from apple. Thanks....how much is that a month or is it a flat fee?

PPHSfan
03-16-2011, 11:41 PM
It's a one time $65.00 fee.

Ernest T Bass
03-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Im trying to decide whether to get the Iphone4 or wait for the 5. Wish they'd go ahead and tell us about the 5.

ogg
03-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Ive had the Iphone 3gs for 2 years now. Freakin' love it!

+1

Old Tiger
03-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Im trying to decide whether to get the Iphone4 or wait for the 5. Wish they'd go ahead and tell us about the 5. I heard you will have the option to have a white or black iphone.

crzyjournalist03
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm on an android platform, but most of my friends seem to have iphones.

I think the way that it was best described to me is that if you like to tinker and have full customization over everything, an Android is the way to go, but if you want full functionality that will work great right out of the box without tinkering, an Iphone is the better choice.

Now honestly, I haven't delved too deep into what my android can do as I've been plenty happy with it after only minor tweaking, but my understanding is that android is more of a free-flowing platform while Apple is more protective on their brand and puts some small limitations on what they can and can't do.

PPHSfan
03-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Another thing to consider. The iPhone is a Mac.
That is all.

Farmersfan
03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I have a Iphone 3G that I have had for a couple of years now. This past Sunday I launched my boat at the lake, docked my boat, retrieved my vehicle and parked it and then noticed I could not find my phone. I went back up to the truck but still didn't find it. I searched again on my boat with no luck. I then went over to the boat ramp and found my Iphone laying under water on the boat ramp. I retreived the phone and put it in the glove box of my boat with the thoughts that now I have an excuse to upgrade to the 4G because certainly the phone is shot after being submerged for at least 5 minutes. When I took the phone out of the glovebox after fishing all day I noticed it was still on. And that was last Sunday and it is still working without any effects now! I really can't explain how that is possible but I'm a believer!

Ernest T Bass
03-17-2011, 04:30 PM
God bless Steve Jobs!

CHS_CG
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I have the droid x and I love it! Have had it since the week it came out. It has been dropped numerous times, but I have a case and screen protector on it so it still looks like new. I like all the features on it and the apps I can get.

eagleqb_14
03-18-2011, 12:06 PM
iphone 4

Trashman
03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have a Iphone 3G that I have had for a couple of years now. This past Sunday I launched my boat at the lake, docked my boat, retrieved my vehicle and parked it and then noticed I could not find my phone. I went back up to the truck but still didn't find it. I searched again on my boat with no luck. I then went over to the boat ramp and found my Iphone laying under water on the boat ramp. I retreived the phone and put it in the glove box of my boat with the thoughts that now I have an excuse to upgrade to the 4G because certainly the phone is shot after being submerged for at least 5 minutes. When I took the phone out of the glovebox after fishing all day I noticed it was still on. And that was last Sunday and it is still working without any effects now! I really can't explain how that is possible but I'm a believer!

Farmer, I heard Tony Romo has Iphone 3G.:mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
i went with the Samsung Epic 4G but its only shown 4G at the sprint store and always on 3G :mad: but i like its features compare to my work phone HTC.

rockdale80
03-19-2011, 01:24 PM
The Dell Streak. If you dont know about it, go look it up.

Ville-D
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Anybody have any new info in the iOS vs Android debate?

I have been an iPhone since the beginning, but I'd like to try an Android based phone. Let me know if you have switched from one to the other and what you like better. Thanks for any new info.

I am a PC guy (semi-anti Mac) and it sucks when talking PC vs Mac with some brain-dead apple idiot and he points out that I use an iPhone. I always point out that I had to JailBreak it to get it to do everything I wanted, but they have a point...

RoyceTTU
06-06-2012, 09:52 AM
damn, i was excited that PPHSfan started posting again.

Now I just hate you :foul:

Have a great day;)

Ville-D
06-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Have a great day;)

Sorry, I didn't want to start a whole new thread since this has been kicked around already.

Just thought I'd ask for any updates. It is annoying when people refuse to use the search feature (but I guess it can be equally annoying when someone digs up an old thread)

Don't hate... We have enough haters already.

:crazy1:

SintonFan
06-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I really really like my Iphone 4S. It can be somewhat annoying when Siri pops up for no apparent reason other than to get my attention. The apps that you can get for the phone are amazing. Lots and lots of business apps...
I'll rate my Iphone a solid A.
It beats the heck out of my old Blackberry and Blackjack(piece of crap)...

bobcat1
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I had a Ipod Touch and now have an HTC. I went with the HTC because I was looking for something different. I had the touch for about a year and then it stopped working for reasons unknown but it did not really factor into my decision. Either way your getting a good phone. It you go Android go HTC.I have the EVO and love it. Not one miuntes trouble with it. Awesome 4G phone. I really like Sprint's unlimited everything plan too. Unlimited means unlimited.

Old Tiger
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I got the Evo Deisgn 4g

If you get a droid get a car charger that is all.

RoyceTTU
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't want to start a whole new thread since this has been kicked around already.

Just thought I'd ask for any updates. It is annoying when people refuse to use the search feature (but I guess it can be equally annoying when someone digs up an old thread)

forgiven

Iphone for me. Not one complaint from me. It can do everything I want and more.

pirate4state
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

LOVE that you used the search feature!!!! :clap:

I have the EVO and love it. Not one miuntes trouble with it. Awesome 4G phone. I really like Sprint's unlimited everything plan too. Unlimited means unlimited.

ME TOO!!!

44INAROW
06-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Have a great day;)

me too......... dang it..

on another note - I am upgrading the 1st of July - I haven't had 1 problem with my Blackberry but I am going to join the masses and most likely get Iphone - but I keep hearing the HTC is a good phone too. What is the EVO?

Every person in my family an my employees has iphone and have from day 1. Now a few have upgraded to iphone 4S or whatever they call it. Great phones but the limited data plan pisses me off. Im going to upgrade mine when the 5 comes out later this year because i hear its smaller.

Roughneck93
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I have the EVO and love it. Not one miuntes trouble with it. Awesome 4G phone. I really like Sprint's unlimited everything plan too. Unlimited means unlimited.

Same here. Look forward to seeing what the new EVO 4G LTE has to offer.

Saggy Aggie
06-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I went to the iphone4 last February when Verizon started selling iPhones and honestly, I'll probably never buy anything else.

It's the most user friendly, idiot proof, piece of technology I've seen. It's really unbelievable. There are so many useful apps (I'm sure the android has the same ones or very similar).

I just honestly can't think of anything that I don't like. I now understand why so many people have iPhones. The things you can do are endless

RoyceTTU
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Every person in my family an my employees has iphone and have from day 1. Now a few have upgraded to iphone 4S or whatever they call it. Great phones but the limited data plan pisses me off. Im going to upgrade mine when the 5 comes out later this year because i hear its smaller.

FWIW - i hear it's gonna be bigger

Tx Challenge
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
My wife and I started with the original Motorola Droid. Went to the Iphone 4 with Verizon. I loved it, my wife hated hers. She relied on the google navigationShe switched back to her old phone. Verizon had a buy one get one on the Motorola Razr Maxx. We went that route and never looked back. The battery life is the best out there. No problems since Feb, and these phones are a lot more rugged than the iphone.

scrub c
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
iPhone truly is amazing... I have the 4s and love it. Brother had several droid phones and finally went with an iPhone and said without reservation the iPhone is best.

pirate4state
06-06-2012, 04:45 PM

on another note - I am upgrading the 1st of July - I haven't had 1 problem with my Blackberry but I am going to join the masses and most likely get Iphone - but I keep hearing the HTC is a good phone too. What is the EVO? EVO is HTC and an android. Love it. Looking to upgrade to the EVO 4G LTE soon. Maybe a birthday gift to myself. :)

oldtownag
06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Motorola Droid Razr here.

It all comes down to what you prefer: Google vs. Apple

Google = more advanced, more customizable, technology changes faster

Apple = more standardized platform, technology changes 1 time per year, 1 company controls everything

In the end hardly any major advances happen on one platform without the other responding.

bobcat1
06-06-2012, 08:08 PM

on another note - I am upgrading the 1st of July - I haven't had 1 problem with my Blackberry but I am going to join the masses and most likely get Iphone - but I keep hearing the HTC is a good phone too. What is the EVO?

EVO is HTC and an android. Love it. Looking to upgrade to the EVO 4G LTE soon. Maybe a birthday gift to myself. :) It is very user friendly. It has the best camera also of any phone I have seen. You can take video and pics and then send them either text or email. You can surf the web, have navigation gps and there are literally thousands of apps. Sprint has an unlimited Data plan. The only one in the industry I am aware of. The Iphone my son has regularly exceeds his Data Plan and it is expensive he says. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and doubt I will switch unless they change.

Pendragon13
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Droid hands down..for two reasons:

1. Avoid the iDouche stigma
2. You can do pretty much whatever you want with the Android OS if you're computer proficient, including making your phone a wi-fi hotspot for your laptop/tablet...no cellular fees. Also, I have my phone FILLED with cool/useful apps and games...and I haven't paid a penny for any of them. (Amazon Android store has tons of freebies and offers a new one every day)

Manso/V8
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Txbroadcaster started this thread over a year ago.........so what did he get, the Android or the iPhone?

I use my phone primarily for emails and strongly prefer the Blackberry Bold.

Saggy Aggie
06-07-2012, 12:53 AM

2. You can do pretty much whatever you want with the Android OS if you're computer proficient, including making your phone a wi-fi hotspot for your laptop/tablet...no cellular fees. Also, I have my phone FILLED with cool/useful apps and games...and I haven't paid a penny for any of them. (Amazon Android store has tons of freebies and offers a new one every day) lol considering a great majority of smart phone users have some version of an iPhone, I don't think that 'stigma' is valid anymore.

And everything you listed can be done on iPhone too. Not much of a reason for hands down android.

scrub c
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
I think its a PC vs MAC thing for a lot of people, the hardcore MAC haters wont own an iPhone because its an APPLE product, and the people that don't care choose iPhone because "it just works". .

side note... I don't work for apple and I think they are overpriced. But FWIW-
I was anti-APPLE for a long time, I guess my whole life, then i got tired of the blue screens, freezing, and unexpected errors (most of which were at work-school), and bought an iMac for home. It was Expensive and there was a little learning curve, but its been worth every penny since late 2009.

I can only base my droid vs iPhone argument on my brother's accounts. He had several droid devices and now has the iPhone and says he will not have anything else. (he is a PC guy btw, but he really loves my iMac)

44INAROW
06-07-2012, 09:00 AM
It is very user friendly. It has the best camera also of any phone I have seen. You can take video and pics and then send them either text or email. You can surf the web, have navigation gps and there are literally thousands of apps. Sprint has an unlimited Data plan. The only one in the industry I am aware of. The Iphone my son has regularly exceeds his Data Plan and it is expensive he says. I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and doubt I will switch unless they change.

funny you mention "going over". Johnny has been in Florida since January (working for his brother, took a semester off - praying he goes back to school this fall, but that is another subject lol) anyway - he upgraded his IPhone for the 4S or whatever you call it in March and has gone over every month.. I even stepped it up a notch and he went over - so is the plan different for the "regular Iphone" and the 4S? I need to call AT&T but just don't take the time to do it.. but 3 months of surcharges has forced me to do something.. Johnny said he texts and listens to music but only music when he's on Wifi at Chad's house or work. He can't figure out why he keeps going over.

LIONS#1
06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I have the Samsung Galaxy skyrocket II 4g LTE and it is faster than my neighbors 4g Iphone!! Just sayin!! I got the 16 gig with an additional 32 gig memory card...the camera isn't quite as good but other than that I am likin my Phone!!

Roughneck93
06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm actually both an Android and Apple user. Like I posted earlier, I have an EVO, but I also have an iPod Touch and an iPad. Love each one, but each one has their pros and cons. Can't really say I prefer one over the other.

Buckeye1980
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I had an Iphpne and had nothing but trouble, got a Samsung Infuse and would hvae noything else. I love it !

Saggy Aggie
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I had an Iphpne and had nothing but trouble, got a Samsung Infuse and would hvae noything else. I love it ! what kind of trouble?

It's been my experience that if there was absolutely anything wrong with my phone, Verizon gave me a brand new one

oldtownag
06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I have the Samsung Galaxy skyrocket II 4g LTE and it is faster than my neighbors 4g Iphone!! Just sayin!! I got the 16 gig with an additional 32 gig memory card...the camera isn't quite as good but other than that I am likin my Phone!!

iPhone 4 is the 4th Gen iPhone but it has 3G internet access (confusing)

4G Androids use 4G internet access (when available)

BEAST
06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
iPhone 4 is the 4th Gen iPhone but it has 3G internet access (confusing)

4G Androids use 4G internet access (when available)

The 4S is 4G.

BEAST

scrub c
06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
The 4s is not REALLY 4G on ATT network. (which I am) It says 4G in the service area of the screen, but you cant get 4G speed on it.

4G LTE is not available as the iPhone 4S does not have the hardware needed to support it.

AT&T uses a technology called HSPA+ that is faster than 3G but many in the industry refer to as "3.5G," but AT&T refers to it as 4G, and Apple has changed the indicator to use AT&Ts term.

Thus the "4G" annunciator is literally no different than the previous "3G" label when on AT&T's network.

BEAST
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
The 4s is not REALLY 4G on ATT network. (which I am) It says 4G in the service area of the screen, but you cant get 4G speed on it.

4G LTE is not available as the iPhone 4S does not have the hardware needed to support it.

AT&T uses a technology called HSPA+ that is faster than 3G but many in the industry refer to as "3.5G," but AT&T refers to it as 4G, and Apple has changed the indicator to use AT&Ts term.

Thus the "4G" annunciator is literally no different than the previous "3G" label when on AT&T's network.

Ok. I just know that my wifes 4s is a lot faster than my 4. Either way, I love my iPhone.

BEAST

Necks88Fan
06-08-2012, 01:39 AM

2. You can do pretty much whatever you want with the Android OS if you're computer proficient, including making your phone a wi-fi hotspot for your laptop/tablet...no cellular fees. Also, I have my phone FILLED with cool/useful apps and games...and I haven't paid a penny for any of them. (Amazon Android store has tons of freebies and offers a new one every day)

If i'm understanding you right, your saying that your able to use your phone as a hotspot without having to pay for an add-on on your plan. If so, what carrier are you using because i've tried to do this on with my Galaxy S android phone which is capable but will not let me without paying for it. I'm on sprint and last time i checked with them it seems like it was around 35 a month. If there is a way around it, i'm all ears.

As for replying to the thread, I think both have a lot to offer. Have five phones on my plan, 3 androids and 2 iphones. I have one of the androids and enjoy the freedom that comes with it without needing a jail break. And, the android has flash memory. But, my wife loves her iphone more than me. lol I will say that sprint is the way to go as far as data. I know a lot of people that went to AT&T at first just to get the iphone. Now that other carriers have the iphone, i would jump ship to go to sprint for the unlimited packages.

big daddy russ
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I had an older Android--one of the first Samsungs--and enjoyed it for the most part. I gave it up for an iPhone after having some problems with the touchscreen (calibration) and speed of the phone. I got another one, but it had the same problems.

I've had my iPhone 4 since it came out and have been content with it. Though I haven't been in the market in a couple years, I understand the Droids have come a long way and are fantastic phones today.

At the end of the day, I'll echo what most people on here said. Do you want ease of use and long-term reliability or more capability and more flexibility for customization? You really can't go wrong either way.

Buckeye1980
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM
what kind of trouble?

It's been my experience that if there was absolutely anything wrong with my phone, Verizon gave me a brand new one

Would not stay charged and loss of memory, happened with TWO phones than I gave up dealing with Apple.

Ranger Mom
06-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Have a great day;)

LOL!! Me too!!

In fact, after I read your post I sent him a text just to make sure he was alive and well!! He is, just busy working and traveling all the time!!

regaleagle
06-09-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm not a member of the tech world, just a casual user out of necessity. I prefer less, which to me seems greater. Greater time spent doing things uninterrupted by this fast-paced high-techno-driven world in which we seem to be forced to join, or lose out. Sometimes, it's a disadvantage for me to not be "tuned in". But I find I can get what I really want and need without being a slave to technology. I prefer it this way... otherwise I would make a concerted effort to join in. Just my personal preferences about living life and trying to slow it down to enjoy the journey. K