View Full Version : Gilmer-Gladewater Preview

Matthew328
08-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Gilmer vs Gladewater
7:30 Friday Murphy Stadium, Gladewater
Last Year: Gilmer 39 Gladewater 21

Key Players: Gilmer TB Andrew Hines, WR Manuel Johnson
Gladewater WR Korey Frierson, RB Daniel McCown

About Gilmer: The Buckeyes are posied to make big noise in 2003 with a potent offense led by the speedy Hines and Johnson, QB Derek McKenzie has all the weapons at his disposal to put up big time numbers..Gilmer has good size along the lines and above average depth as well..the defense will need to get better but with 8 starters back look for big improvement..

About Gladewater: The Bears made the playoffs again last year but took some big losses once again...there is inexperience all across the board and Gladewater may struggle some early..

Overall: This is a big rivalry in East Texas..by the way why can't we get these 2 in the same district? Who will be the best team in Orange and Black? I think Gilmer takes this one but Gladewater won't be a pushover...these teams have no love lost..Gilmer by 13...

Gilmer Buckeye
08-27-2003, 12:05 PM
It was nutty to put Gilmer in District 11-3A. Pittsburg was the natural team to place there, but instead they were put in Gladewater's district.

The district we are in now is, year in and year out, the weakest one we've ever been in. Usually we have been either in one which includes Daingerfield or one which includes Spring Hill and Gladewater and sometimes all three, plus Tatum. Then there were those two years in the '90s when we went back up to 4A briefly. Let's hope that never happens again.

As to Friday night's game, I think 13 is about right. Collier-Sharp says Gilmer by 29. That's too much in this heated a rivalry.

What is troubling for us, even if on paper it's a slam-dunk for Gilmer, is that the home team usually wins this game. Coach Traylor won his first game as our coach in 2000 at Buckeye Stadium with a stunning upset of the heavily-favored Bears. The next year, we lost there. Last year we won here. This year? We have to break that pattern.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Below is Andrew Hines in our scrimmage last week with Spring Hill. He only got to carry the ball 3 times for 26 yards before it was called due to lightning. Chasing him in vain is Spring Hill's Wesley Brasher.

Speaking of lightning, I can almost guarantee you that the "electrifying" runner Hines will average at least 10 yards a carry this season. Last year he averaged more than that. Everyone concedes Spring Hill has a very solid defense and yet there he is right near 10 yards a carry.

http://www.gilmermirror.com/content/news/Image/web823hines.jpg

old dragon
08-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey Gilmer Buckeye ,this Old Dragon love the Bucks too, but don't put the bad ju ju on us.How about letting our guys surprise some of these teams early and scare the others late.(like in the playoffs)We don't want a bullseye on my man.I remember a game a couple of years back when three starters went down with the same injury in the first quarter two weeks before the playoffs started..lol

Gilmer Buckeye
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Old Dragon, I remember those injuries also. Ouch!

After Collier-Sharp picked us to win state, though, there's no way we can sneak up on anyone anymore. We're not on the "porch" anymore. We've been declared one of the "big dogs."

These guys are going to be fun to watch. They always are. And they will always exhibit class and character, no matter what the outcome. These are fine young men or Coach Traylor wouldn't let them wear the orange-and-black.

Winning is important, but all the glory goes to God. That's what true winners in life recognize. End of sermon. :)

FBJones
08-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Yeah,that's pretty funny. Gilmer to win state! When is the the last time they won 1 playoff game? I bet they go down in bi-district again.

Matthew328
08-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Spring Hill's D is solid?? LOL Offense yes...Defense no..

Gilmer Buckeye
08-28-2003, 10:18 AM
I'll have to tell Defensive Coordinator Jerry Blankenship of your low opinion of his Panthers. Everything I've been reading in the Longview News-Journal indicates otherwise. Of course, Joe Hale, the sportswriter who covers them, IS a Spring Hill alum, so he's not exactly unbiased.

Below is a preview article of the Gladewater game, mainly from the Gilmer perspective:

http://www.gilmermirror.com/index.php?ArtID=5524

old dragon
08-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Gilmer Buckeye I knew we were on the same page about the Bucks and it is good to know we are there on winning in life also. All glory must go to our God thru our Lord and savior his son.We can't lose with this combo huh?As far as when Gilmer won their last playoff game has nothing to do with what they will do this year.I follow this high school football pretty close and until the last couple of years I don't remember seeing our state champions of 2001/2002 dominating anything either.I am not saying this to state that we will win it all but each team has to start somewhere at sometime,heres hoping this is our time.Good luck to all,stay injury free,God bless.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Matthew, I want to take back what I said about Spring Hill's defense. I just now read Joe Hale's preview article in last Sunday's Longview football section. Even he admits the Panthers will have to "reload" on defense this year, so the losses from last season must be pretty bad. eek!

I should have known you were the expert here. However, if anyone can make lemonade out of the lemons, it's Coach Blankenship.

fatcat255
08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
While you're taking things back ............

You might as well also take back your statement about Joe Hale being a SH alum. No truth to that one.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-28-2003, 01:37 PM
A friend of mine who knows Joe better than I do told me that. I'll ask him about it.

Matthew328
08-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Spring Hill had a good D last year but they lost a TON of people..they'll put up some points but they'll have trouble stopping people..by the way Gilmer_Buckeye do you have a cell phone with text messaging? and will you be at the Gilmer-Gladewater game? if so e-mail me!

M4play19@yahoo.com

<small>[ August 28, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

Gilmer Buckeye
08-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Here's what I'll try to do. I'll have someone online in Gilmer email you the score as the game progresses. They'll be able to hear it on a Gladewater AM radio station (1430 KEES) at least until dark and after that I'll call 'em from the stadium and then they can email you my report. How's that?

How often do you want an update? Every quarter or so? That's about as often as I'll be able to check in, I think. I'm "media" so I'm up in the press box during games.

fatcat255
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Matt,

The SH "D" obviously has some very big shoes to fill, but they should still be a fairly solid unit. The players moving up from an undefeated JV will be more than adequate.

You can't replace Allen & Brown, but the group filling the LB spots will be better than most are expecting. All 4 DB's departed, but this year's DB's will be faster and a little better. 5 of the 6 in the D-Line rotation are returning and one of those grew into a monster. Look for a few to see action on both sides of the ball this year also.

Anxious to get started and see how they handle things.

Matthew328
08-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Well if I was home e-mailing would be nice...but I'll be at the Aledo-Forney game..that is why I was wantin text messaging..LOL

Gilmer Buckeye
08-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Okay. I thought maybe you were going to be online with a laptop in some press box somewhere.

I have to admit I know next to nothing about text messaging. I don't have that capability.