PDA

View Full Version : Weimar Tournament

XMan
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I believe the Weimar varsity baseball tournament is Thurs-Sat. Does anyone have the bracket to share?

hookandladder
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Do not have a bracket however I do know who plays tomorrow, mostly 1A and 2A schools.

La Grange- Victoria St. Josephs
Bellville- Shiner

Bracket 2 has Sacred Heart, Flatonia,Smithville and I think D'Hanis

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
hookandladder, ya'll opening up with St. Joe? Not sure if ya'll played them yet. They are descent and I think the winner of this will be in the finals. I don't think they are LaGrange strong though, but--not a gimme either.

Nice tornament ya'll put on this past weekend too. Best I been to in years. Awesome field and stadium, concessions, the whole event. Never had shrimp at a HS game. Talked to your head coach, he said they are working on the old field, and maybe one day a mega-type tourney will be held there. That would be awesome.

hookandladder
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
hookandladder, ya'll opening up with St. Joe? Not sure if ya'll played them yet. They are descent and I think the winner of this will be in the finals. I don't think they are LaGrange strong though, but--not a gimme either.

Nice tornament ya'll put on this past weekend too. Best I been to in years. Awesome field and stadium, concessions, the whole event. Never had shrimp at a HS game. Talked to your head coach, he said they are working on the old field, and maybe one day a mega-type tourney will be held there. That would be awesome.

Yes, we play St. Joe first game heard they have a kid that throws in the upper 80's. Thanks, our tourney is getting great reviews every year, our old field is going thru some major upgrades. Should be ready for the summer tournaments and summer leagues.

XMan
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
So, Weimar is not even in the tournament this year? This used to be a powerful tournament but seems the quality of teams has slipped. Good luck to those involved, Strickland Field is a wonderful venue. I remember seeing Schulenburg, Giddings, LG, Bellville, Sealy and Columbus all being in this one at one time. Whoever won it would usually make a deep playoff run.

BaseballUmp
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by XMan
So, Weimar is not even in the tournament this year? This used to be a powerful tournament but seems the quality of teams has slipped. Good luck to those involved, Strickland Field is a wonderful venue. I remember seeing Schulenburg, Giddings, LG, Bellville, Sealy and Columbus all being in this one at one time. Whoever won it would usually make a deep playoff run.

I'm thinking it was a given that Weimar would be in their own tournament

XMan
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
If Im not mistaken, Weimar ISD doesnt sponsor this tournament. The tournament is put on by the Weimar VFW post as a fundraiser for youth baseball in the community. This actually means that Tom Strickland puts on this tournament to help improve the field and run the Weimar youth teams. He has taken over for the late Al Kasparek as being "Mr. Baseball" for Weimar.

hookandladder
03-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by XMan
If Im not mistaken, Weimar ISD doesnt sponsor this tournament. The tournament is put on by the Weimar VFW post as a fundraiser for youth baseball in the community. This actually means that Tom Strickland puts on this tournament to help improve the field and run the Weimar youth teams. He has taken over for the late Al Kasparek as being "Mr. Baseball" for Weimar.

The main reason Weimar is not playing in the tournament is because they have already started playing District games, Friday and Tuesday. Not enough pitching to play a tournament and then turn around and have Distrcit games. FYI

XMan
03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Thats a really good reason. Way back in the day, there was Weimar tournament and Weimar didnt even have high school baseball. Ironically, Schulenburg used Weimars field as its home field during that era.