PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Butt-kick'n?

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Think this was a little excessive and uncalled for?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20110309-no-misprint-lake-highlands-defeats-samuell-baseball-by-50-plus-runs.ece

Lake Highlands 53
Samuell 0

bigwood33
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
No.
You have to play 5 for it to be an official game so you can't just stop playing. Also, the LH's coach instructed his kids to stop at 1st, no matter how far they hit the ball, they didn't steal any bases (after the 2nd inning), and did not try to score on passed balls. He cleared his bench and played station to station baseball in an effort to hold down the score. What more could he have done?

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Ummm, this Hall of Fame Coach could of done alot in that inning they produced 21 runs, to call the dogs off. Like, have his guys just stand in the batters box and not swing, after they went up 30-0, for starters.

He should get inducted into the Hall of Shame next, IMO.

RoyceTTU
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Ummm, this Hall of Fame Coach could of done alot in that inning they produced 21 runs, to call the dogs off. Like, have his guys just stand in the batters box and not swing, after they went up 30-0, for starters.

He should get inducted into the Hall of Shame IMO.

If they batted in the top of the 1st inning, you should never back off until you see what the other team is going to do in the bottom of the inning. You never now, You might get 30 runs in the top and your pitcher might go out there throwing meat balls and allow 31 runs.:eek:

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
No one will win 50-0 in a baseball game I call.

GrTigers6
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM

He should get inducted into the Hall of Shame next, IMO. SO you would tell kids that normally sit on the bench and are finally getting the oppurtunity to show what they can do in a real game situation to just stand there? Thats not fair to those kids.
Yes is bad that they got beat that bad but dont blame the winning coach. I would look at the job the losing coach did. From what I heard that was lake highlands first win of the year. SO there is something fishy about a team to get beat that bad by a mediocre team.:thinking:

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
If you knew about Dallas, this wouldn't surprise you at all. There's a good chance that the Samuel coach is a hall monitor or a janitor.

bigwood33
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

He should get inducted into the Hall of Shame next, IMO.
We will have to just agree to disagree. IMO, he DID call the dogs off or it may have been 100-0.

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
If you knew about Dallas, this wouldn't surprise you at all. There's a good chance that the Samuel coach is a hall monitor or a janitor.

or be a FB coach who has to coach Girls Soccer :D

GrTigers6
If you knew about Dallas, this wouldn't surprise you at all. There's a good chance that the Samuel coach is a hall monitor or a janitor. Thats my point, If they arent coached properly then you could just stand there and let the ball go by but what if they can get it anywhere near the strike zone.

Emerson1
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
If the coach really wanted to they could still be in the first inning of this game a week later.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Those kid's that usually ride the pine would gain more out of this situation by seeing the coach not run it up like he did, then getting some PT at this poor teams expense.

In a game like this, I fear what the losing coach now fears, keeping his team interested in baseball still.

Mega blowout games has more negative effects then they do positive. So, getting a bench warmer some hacks in a 50-0 game isn't the same as a 20-5 type game. I think they gain more in life if the coach teaches them not to rub the opponents face in a drumming.

Guess what pisses me off more than anything, is in the article where this so-called HOF coach thought the score was really 57-0. Like, he got shorted.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Those kid's that usually ride the pine would gain more out of this situation by seeing the coach not run it up like he did, then getting some PT at this poor teams expense.

In a game like this, I fear what the losing coach now fears, keeping his team interested in baseball still.

Mega blowout games has more negative effects then they do positive. So, getting a bench warmer some hacks in a 50-0 game isn't the same as a 20-5 type game. I think they gain more in life if the coach teaches them not to rub the opponents face in a drumming.

I am sorry but this whole BS that kids are affected or hurt, or bothered by a butt kicking is crazy...losing 50-0 or winning 50-0 does not alter a teenagers life.

MUSTANG69
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Why did the losing coach not stop the game and save his kids some embarrassment?:thinking:

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am sorry but this whole BS that kids are affected or hurt, or bothered by a butt kicking is crazy...losing 50-0 or winning 50-0 does not alter a teenagers life.

You could be right with today's teenagers. And, I have one.

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
or be a FB coach who has to coach Girls Soccer :D

Hey, Im a degreed, certified, professional coach who proved pretty damned successful on the girls' soccer field considering the circumstances...:cool:

GrTigers6
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey, Im a degreed, certified, professional coach who proved pretty damned successful on the girls' soccer field considering the circumstances...:cool: Yeah but you may have screwed up and showed them you could do it. Now they will want you to continue. :D :doh:

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
You could be right with today's teenagers. And, I have one.

Today's teenager?..I am 35 going on 36..I played on a little league team that was TERRIBLE back in the day..It was so bad that thru the season me and one other guy literally had the ONLY hits for the team..we lost some really bad games..like 20-1, 25-1 all in first two innings..it did not alter my life, did not make me want to quit or give up. Hell now it is a funny story to tell friends over drinks.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Hell now it is a funny story to tell friends over drinks.

Might be funny to you now cause of the drinks. :D I'm sure your coach wasn't a HOF'er either.

Bullaholic
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Today's teenager?..I am 35 going on 36..I played on a little league team that was TERRIBLE back in the day..It was so bad that thru the season me and one other guy literally had the ONLY hits for the team..we lost some really bad games..like 20-1, 25-1 all in first two innings..it did not alter my life, did not make me want to quit or give up. Hell now it is a funny story to tell friends over drinks.

Well then, what DID make you so warped, TXB? :D
Spending too much time in the booth with G2? Reading too many of Farmer's Romo posts? :D

Rabid Cougar
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Umpire could have expanded his strike zone a bit. The losing coach could have thrown in the towel and just pulled his team off the field.

Its "no win" for everyone involved.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Umpire could have expanded his strike zone a bit. The losing coach could have thrown in the towel and just pulled his team off the field.

Its "no win" for everyone involved.

Yup.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Might be funny to you now cause of the drinks. :D I'm sure your coach wasn't a HOF'er either.

it was funny the NEXT DAY..my point is..to coddle teenagers and protect them from bad results is stupid IMO

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
it was funny the NEXT DAY..my point is..to coddle teenagers and protect them from bad results is stupid IMO

The excessive part is my real issue and this coach wanting the score to be 57-0.

With him saying it was a 57-0 score, I sense he was targeting a national record to go along with this state record for margin of victory, to put on his mantle with his HOF plaque.

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Yeah but you may have screwed up and showed them you could do it. Now they will want you to continue. :D :doh:

Budget cuts are probably gonna remove that option from the menu :doh:

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Budget cuts are probably gonna remove that option from the menu :doh:

There ya go ETB.;)

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
The excessive part is my real issue and this coach wanting the score to be 57-0.

With him saying it was a 57-0 score, I sense he was targeting a national record to go along with this state record for margin of victory, to put on his mantle with his HOF plaque.

Can you prove that? Or is that just what you THINK?

eagles_victory
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
If the Hammwagon coached baseball instead of basketball this wouldn't of happened.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Can you prove that? Or is that just what you THINK?

Prove what? Him wanting the score to be 57-0? Or, it being a state record?

TXB, ya'll should cover the April 8th rematch. Could be real exciting.

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 12:23 PM
There ya go ETB.;)

Well, probably gonna remove football and teaching, too.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Prove what? Him wanting the score to be 57-0? Or, it being a state record?

TXB, ya'll should cover the April 8th rematch. Could be real exciting.

You said

I sense he was targeting a national record to go along with this state record for margin of victory, to put on his mantle with his HOF plaque.

Even though big wood33 said

Also, the LH's coach instructed his kids to stop at 1st, no matter how far they hit the ball, they didn't steal any bases (after the 2nd inning), and did not try to score on passed balls. He cleared his bench and played station to station baseball in an effort to hold down the score.

Seems to me you might have a problem with the coach or your overreaching to blame him on something he really could nothing about without basically telling his kids to just quit

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, probably gonna remove football and teaching, too.

Nah, they are tapping into the rainy day fund now. That thing will be dry before too long once they put their hands in it.

bigwood33
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Please! IF he had kept the pressure on, IF he had pushed for extra bases, IF he had stolen bases, etc, then MAYBE you would have an argument. Let me take this to football. If I were coaching a game and we were down by a lot, 72-0 or something like that, and the other team broke a long run (dive because they stopped passing) only to kneel down on the one and then proceeded to take 4 knees to "not run up the score" I would be pissed! I would want my kids to play hard and try to stop them with a goal line stand. Then, if they scored, I would want my kids to try to score. I agree that you stop "trying" for the big play and you become very conservative in your play calling but you never stop competing. You don't punt on 1st down and you don't just let the other team score because they are behind. You compete.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
. If I were coaching a game and we were down by a lot, 72-0 or something like that, and the other team broke a long run (dive because they stopped passing) only to kneel down on the one and then proceeded to take 4 knees to "not run up the score" I would be pissed!.

BOOM..I think it is worse to basically tell a team your so bad we are going to not only not be agreesive, but we are going to lay down and do nothing because your team is so inept that we have pity for you

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Nah, they are tapping into the rainy day fund now. That thing will be dry before too long once they put their hands in it.

That's not going to education, it's going to the total deficit. So it's $27 billion-$3.2 billion. It's only to save face, not gonna help anyone.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 12:48 PM
You said

I sense he was targeting a national record to go along with this state record for margin of victory, to put on his mantle with his HOF plaque.

Even though big wood33 said

Also, the LH's coach instructed his kids to stop at 1st, no matter how far they hit the ball, they didn't steal any bases (after the 2nd inning), and did not try to score on passed balls. He cleared his bench and played station to station baseball in an effort to hold down the score.

Seems to me you might have a problem with the coach or your overreaching to blame him on something he really could nothing about without basically telling his kids to just quit

No prior problem with this coach. Never heard of him. But, I do have a problem with a HOF coach being excessive to this extreme. Regardless if they didn't steal, run on pass balls, etc. He is a seasoned veteran coach, and knows how to prevent running it up to this extent. Maybe practice bunting? Switch hitting practice? That ain't giving up, yet it stops the scoring in groves in that 21 run, 5th inning. We all know there are ways to stop scoring. Especially if your a prior player of the game.

My comments about him are like yours about teenagers. You have proof this has no effect on the victim? The press normally would cover the winner's in a event like this, and not the losers. Just like this article basically did.

How about interviewing a player from Samuel and get his take on this outcome? You see the effects it had on that losing coach. Think he'll ever forget it? Me either. Imagine a few kids might not either. A 50-0 state record defeat isn't the same as your playing day loses, of 20-0 that you laugh about over a cold one now.

We'll just agree to disagree on this subject.

bigwood33
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
That ain't giving up, yet it stops the scoring in groves
Just to change the subject, I'll play the grammar police for a minute. I think you probably meant, "droves", not "groves" which would be in the trees!:D

Txbroadcaster
No prior problem with this coach. Never heard of him. But, I do have a problem with a HOF coach being excessive to this extreme. Regardless if they didn't steal, run on pass balls, etc. He is a seasoned veteran coach, and knows how to prevent running it up to this extent. Maybe practice bunting? Switch hitting practice? That ain't giving up, yet it stops the scoring in groves in that 21 run, 5th inning. We all know there are ways to stop scoring. Especially if your a prior player of the game.

My comments about him are like yours about teenagers. You have proof this has no effect on the victim? The press normally would cover the winner's in a event like this, and not the losers. Just like this article basically did.

How about interviewing a player from Samuel and get his take on this outcome? You see the effects it had on that losing coach. Think he'll ever forget it? Me either. Imagine a few kids might not either. A 50-0 state record defeat isn't the same as your playing day loses, of 20-0 that you laugh about over a cold one now.

again..a losing team will be more offended by the winning team basically laying down and not trying

YTBulldogs
That's not going to education, it's going to the total deficit. So it's $27 billion-$3.2 billion. It's only to save face, not gonna help anyone.

If it isn't gonna help anyone, leave it in there till it will help someday. Just like government, see some money laying around, they'll spend it. I thought it was going to help education cause them teachers at the capitol were demanding he use some of it.

bigwood33
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
When I was in HS, we beat Pilot Point 34-0 in baseball my JR year. It was their 1st year to field a baseball team and it hurt that team so badly, that the same kids won the football state championship the next season. Just sayin'.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM

actually there ARE comments from Samuell

Peña, in his first year at Samuell, said he was proud that all 17 of his players came back to practice on Wednesday.

At least I can say we didn’t give up,” Peña said. “I’m not going to say that next time we are going to win, but I hope that we can play them better next time.

“As long as I can get kids interested in baseball, I’m doing alright.”

Seems to me that he gets it

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
If it isn't gonna help anyone, leave it in there till it will help someday. Just like government, see some money laying around, they'll spend it. I thought it was going to help education cause them teachers at the capitol were demanding he use some of it.

If used correctly, it will help. But so far, it doesn't look like it will be. It's basically going to be used to pay the state's bills. That way Perry's not the laughing stock of the country.
3.2 billion put towards education would help quite a bit. But, I don't think that's the goal.
As for the baseball score, read the Samuel's coach's coments to see for yourself. It's tough to get Dallas kids to believe they can compete outside of DISD. It's impossible when you have a coach who doesn't know anything outside of DISD, though.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
. It's impossible when you have a coach who doesn't know anything outside of DISD, though. [/QUOTE

I agree 100%..Grant and I have called it the DISD Disease..get into to it and learn to accept.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 01:03 PM
. It's impossible when you have a coach who doesn't know anything outside of DISD, though. [/QUOTE

I agree 100%..Grant and I have called it the DISD Disease..get into to it and learn to accept.

Poor kids, just sad, huh?

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 01:10 PM

It's easy to do with people who don't anything else, and frustrating as hell when you do know better.