PDA

View Full Version : Did senior trip cost Tatum a state Title?

lostaussie
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
One of their 3 point sharpshooters left after the semi-final game to go on senior trip to Jamaica. I have been told by several from Tatum that kid did not want to go, but Mom had paid for trip and basically made him go on the trip. Anyone who was there heard anything about this?

lostaussie
03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by cowboyandchrist
Just a side note, one of the best players on the team left for a spring break trip to Aruba after the simi final win, did not play in the championship game. Sad day for the Tatum BB team. May or may not have made a differnece in the game. Just saw this on another thread!!!

mwynn05
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
It's true the kid hit 5 three's in the semi and did not play in the final. I really hated it for coach Carr but after where he was a little over a year ago it's a blessing for him just to be coaching

waterboy
03-15-2011, 11:01 AM
That's really unfortunate. Now those boys will never know how much difference it would've made. I tend to think it's possible it could've made a difference. After all, they only lost by 1 point, right? That's kind of like injuries to star players, you never know what could've been, all you can do is try and win with what you have. No excuses, that's just the way it is, and it'll just leave them wondering what might have been. Very unfortunate...

RoyceTTU
03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
That's awful for the other players. Tough to over-look something like that. I would feel like someone quit on me.

Rabid Cougar
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
He could have twisted an ankle in the first 30 seconds of the state game too. Would that have made a difference?
Its a bad break for the team and not a choice I would liked to have made if I was the kids parents.

Matter of fact I did several years ago when the Swine Flu pushed the state track meet into June. Boy qualifed for state the third year in a row. Also had a Graduation cruise bought and paid for. I gave him the option. It was not going to impact a team or a team mate, he had been to state before. He was ready to move on to college football. So we went cruising and had a blast. Made kid from Llano happy.

Point is ..it didn't impact a team. If that were the case, he would have been there for the team ... and his parents in the stands.. you don't get chances to play for state championship everyday. You don't walk away from $3,000 vacations either.

icu812
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
You can always take another vacation. You can never get back a chance to do something special like play in a state championship. Poor choice.

lostaussie
03-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I talked to a guy I know at convenience store this morning who goes to tourney every year. He brought up the fact that this kid had left after the semi's. It kind of suprised me and I told him that I figured only the Tatum folks knew anything about this. He started laughing and told me no..............the whole gym was talking about it.

Ranger Mom
03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by icu812
You can always take another vacation. You can never get back a chance to do something special like play in a state championship. Poor choice.

I personally don't think you have enough information to say that his decision was a "poor choice."

eagles_victory
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I personally don't think you have enough information to say that his decision was a "poor choice." I do

Ranger Mom
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I do

I remember the thread when he talked about it 2 years ago, and went back and re-read it.

I understood why they made that decision then and still understand it to this day!!

Sweetwater Red
03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
One of their 3 point sharpshooters left after the semi-final game to go on senior trip to Jamaica. I have been told by several from Tatum that kid did not want to go, but Mom had paid for trip and basically made him go on the trip. Anyone who was there heard anything about this?

:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM

woulda, coulda, shoulda (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-woulda-coulda-shoulda-mean.htm)

Matthew328
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree it was a bad choice that impacted a lot of other people besides the kid who didn't play. Playing for a state championship is a once in a lifetime chance, a vacation is not.

Poor planning on the parents part for booking the trip in the first place, I feel more for the kids teammates who were left hanging out to dry....as an athlete on a team you are taught to always be there for your team through thick and thin...terrible decision.

lostaussie
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I agree it was a bad choice that impacted a lot of other people besides the kid who didn't play. Playing for a state championship is a once in a lifetime chance, a vacation is not.

Poor planning on the parents part for booking the trip in the first place, I feel more for the kids teammates who were left hanging out to dry....as an athlete on a team you are taught to always be there for your team through thick and thin...terrible decision. Exactly, I feel worse for the teamates than for the kid who went to Jamaica. But you know what they say...............If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy:D

buckeyebob
03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
Let's see....play basketball or go to Jamaica?? http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-016.gif

JasperDog94
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
Let's see....play basketball or go to Jamaica?? http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-016.gif Let's see....honor a commitment to those who trust you or go on vacation? (This could get real political at this point, but I choose not to go there.);)

lostaussie
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
What I keep thinking about is...............that vacation is probably almost over. Now he has to come back and face his teamates. I wonder how he will be recieved:thinking:

JasperDog94
03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
"Hey guys, let me tell you about the awesome time I had in Jamaica...."

SMACK!!!

"Nevermind"

waterboy
03-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
What I keep thinking about is...............that vacation is probably almost over. Now he has to come back and face his teamates. I wonder how he will be recieved:thinking:
No kidding! ....But his mother MADE him go...:doh:

icu812
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I personally don't think you have enough information to say that his decision was a "poor choice."

I meant in my opinion it was a poor choice by the parent not the player. Sounds like the player had no choice. What additional information could there be regarding a vacation? I was taking about the Tatum kid not Rabid Cougar's situation.

AP Panther Fan,

woulda, coulda, shoulda?? didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion.

eagles_victory
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I remember the thread when he talked about it 2 years ago, and went back and re-read it.

I understood why they made that decision then and still understand it to this day!! Not following you... Im talking about the guy from Tatum.

YTBulldogs
03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Was that flight the only one? He couldn't catch another one later? Might have to pay a charge, or even another airfare---but, better than missing a state game IMO. I'm sure they could come up with the airfare fee for another flight.

Maybe it was cruise? Still could of flown though.

Ranger Mom
03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I meant in my opinion it was a poor choice by the parent not the player. Sounds like the player had no choice. What additional information could there be regarding a vacation? I was taking about the Tatum kid not Rabid Cougar's situation.

Gotcha!!!

I agree with that on the Tatum Kid.....Rabid Cougar's situation had some additional elements that had to be considered.

eagles_victory
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Gotcha!!!

I agree with that on the Tatum Kid.....Rabid Cougar's situation had some additional elements that had to be considered. I agree with Rabid 100 percent his sons decision effected him and only him so whatever he wanted to do he should do.

Pendragon13
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Forget the basketball part..

I can't seem to get past the "senior trip to Jamaica"....wow Senior trips have gotten better since I was in school.:(

Also, what kind of crazy teachers would want to be responsible for a bunch of high school kids on a foreign island where they will be bombarded with weed/booze offers from the minute they get off the plane?:eek:

Matthew328
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Probably not a school sponsored trip...

Ernest T Bass
03-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Most people who play 4 years of high school and spend the next 30 years coaching will never get the opportunity to play for a state championship. Jamacia ain't going anywhere. Plus, you've got a team depending on you. To me, it's a no-brainer.
Maybe other circumstances surrounding this, but based on what I know, very bad decision was made. Just not sure who's decision it was.

Crow22
03-17-2011, 08:35 AM
If I had spent my entire athletic career working towards earning a shot at a State Title, there is no way in HELL I would leave the night before it comes true to go on vacation to Jamaica.

And if my MOM told me I had to go, then my MOM would be the one going in my place.

This is the most ridiculous example of the screwed up priorities that many kids and their parents have now-a-days that I have ever seen.