PDA

View Full Version : Over Reaction?

Farmersfan
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
As you all know I am the LAST person on this planet that would over-react to something in sports.
I watched the Mavs play the Lakers on Saturday and I was very, very disappointed with what I saw from the Mavericks. They were slow and very unaggressive. I have maintained all season that this team was different because this team was physical and wasn't afraid to take the ball to the basket. What I saw on Saturday was a team that was very slow and uninspired that shot about 35% and played very weak defense. Now I am back to thinking the Mavs will likely do the same old tired disappearing act come playoffs!
Any comments?

PPHSfan
03-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Comment: the part about the last person on earth made me giggle.

waterboy
03-14-2011, 08:10 AM
I, too, was disappointed with the Mavs effort, especially on defense. I know the Lakers are very good, but I think the Mavs just didn't play with the passion we're used to seeing. They had a poor shooting night. Some of that was due to good defense by the Lakers, but the majority of it was the Mavs couldn't hit the open shots. That, and Tyson Chandler was a non-factor. Was it just me, or did it seem like the Lakers got the favorable calls from the referees? No excuses, though, the Mavs got beat. I'll go out on a limb and say the next meeting on March 31st will be different. They may not win, but I'll bet the effort will be exponentially better.

DDBooger
03-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Was it just me, or did it seem like the Lakers got the favorable calls from the referees? Wouldn't be a Mavs fan if you didn't. :D :p ;)

Farmersfan
03-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I, too, was disappointed with the Mavs effort, especially on defense. I know the Lakers are very good, but I think the Mavs just didn't play with the passion we're used to seeing. They had a poor shooting night. Some of that was due to good defense by the Lakers, but the majority of it was the Mavs couldn't hit the open shots. That, and Tyson Chandler was a non-factor. Was it just me, or did it seem like the Lakers got the favorable calls from the referees? No excuses, though, the Mavs got beat. I'll go out on a limb and say the next meeting on March 31st will be different. They may not win, but I'll bet the effort will be exponentially better.

I felt the exact same way waterboy! I didn't want to say anything because of obvious retailiation from some on here but it seemed like Chandler got called for fouls with a hell of a lot less contact than the lakers big men got away with. He had 3 fouls in about 8 minutes of that game and sat most of the game. It certainly made a big a difference. I also saw Dirk get pushed around like a rag doll all night under the basket. I swore I would get off Dirk back about his weak play but he gives up more easy baskets and gets rebounded over more than any other 7 footer in the league. Sorry, I can't stand how he plays!!!!!

Farmersfan
03-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Wouldn't be a Mavs fan if you didn't. :D :p ;)

Are you commenting on the astute recognition of the facts or the overall knowledge of the game that Mavs fans seem to have???

:D :D

DDBooger
03-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Are you commenting on the astute recognition of the facts or the overall knowledge of the game that Mavs fans seem to have???

:D :D Whichever makes you smile buddy! :)

waterboy
03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Wouldn't be a Mavs fan if you didn't. :D :p ;)
:D I knew that was coming. Really, though, if you'll notice in other games the Lakers are in that are NOT the Mavs, the Lakers do get the benefit of the calls. They absolutely get away with muggings on defense, yet they get many phantom calls while on offense. I don't think it's collusion.....but it's definitely noticeable by other teams in the league. The thing is, no matter how the calls are going you HAVE to play through them and NOT get frustrated. Getting frustrated with the refs can affect the outcome.

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
As you all know I am the LAST person on this planet that would over-react to something in sports.
I watched the Mavs play the Lakers on Saturday and I was very, very disappointed with what I saw from the Mavericks. They were slow and very unaggressive. I have maintained all season that this team was different because this team was physical and wasn't afraid to take the ball to the basket. What I saw on Saturday was a team that was very slow and uninspired that shot about 35% and played very weak defense. Now I am back to thinking the Mavs will likely do the same old tired disappearing act come playoffs!
Any comments?

I dont think the Mavs played that weak of D..they held the Lakers to 5 points under their normal PPG and basically right at the amount of points PPG Dallas gives up....They did a good job on Kobe

That little spurt the Lakers had in the 2nd Q was basically the game..Dallas could never quite catch up after that.

Also dont forget the Lakers had just been beat by the Heat and I think it was a classic Laker game where they decided they wanted to make a statement.

Rabid Cougar
03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Its the NBA ..what do you expect?

Farmersfan
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think the Mavs played that weak of D..they held the Lakers to 5 points under their normal PPG and basically right at the amount of points PPG Dallas gives up....They did a good job on Kobe

That little spurt the Lakers had in the 2nd Q was basically the game..Dallas could never quite catch up after that.

Also dont forget the Lakers had just been beat by the Heat and I think it was a classic Laker game where they decided they wanted to make a statement.

The Mavs had a whole bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers in that game. They were throwing the ball out of bounds and even Dirk made a little lob pass to Chandler under the basket in crunch time and Chandler had no idea! The ball just bounced out of bounds. And using the Lakers AVERAGE points scored per game as a measure of how the Mavs played is not a good idea! This was the single most important game the Mavs have played so far this season (could have clinched tie breaker) and they allowed the same points to the Lakers that all the sub .500 teams allow. I expected the Mavs to step up and make a statement and you are saying the Lakers were the ones who wanted to make the statement!
Here is what got the Mavs beat on Saturday and what will get them eliminated in the playoffs if not corrected.......AGAIN!!!

Points in the paint: Lakers 56 Mavs 38
3 Pt. shooting: Lakers 38.5% Mavs 25%

the Mavs missed 10 out of the first 11 shots they took in that game!

waterboy
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't look at this particular game as a sign of things to come. The Mavs were a lot tighter in this game than they have been being. I think they learned from this game, and will look to make a statement to the Lakers in Los Angeles on March 31st. Win or lose, the Mavs will play better. TxB was right in that this was a statement game for the Lakers, but the Mavs didn't play well, and I'm looking for them to play more like we've seen the "Road Warriors" play in the next meeting. This season the Mavs are almost better on the road than at home. At least they are more focused on the road.

icu812
03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Over reaction. Mavs just missed a lot of open shots. 4 out of 16 on threes. Mavs actually out rebounded LA 48 to 43. Dallas's interior D needs to play better. But if Chandler and Haywood can't get it done nobody will.

Dirk frustrates me to and he didn't have the best game...but:

D. Nowitzki 25 Pts, 10 Reb, 6 Ast, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

It doesn't really matter who has home court. Mavs road record is better than their home record anyway.

I like Dallas's chances against either the Spurs or Lakers maybe better than their Rd. 1 match up depending on who it is.

Farmersfan
03-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Over reaction. Mavs just missed a lot of open shots. 4 out of 16 on threes. Mavs actually out rebounded LA 48 to 43. Dallas's interior D needs to play better. But if Chandler and Haywood can't get it done nobody will.

Dirk frustrates me to and he didn't have the best game...but:

D. Nowitzki 25 Pts, 10 Reb, 6 Ast, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

It doesn't really matter who has home court. Mavs road record is better than their home record anyway.

I like Dallas's chances against either the Spurs or Lakers maybe better than their Rd. 1 match up depending on who it is.

I like the defense that Chandler and Haywood plays as long as the refs let them play. They hit Chandler with 3 quick ones on Saturday and of course that changed everything. Dirk is one of the best offensive players in the league without a doubt. But he loses a awful lot of points in the best players in the league voting in my opinion for his overall lack of defensive intensity. Out of the top 25 best players in the NBA Dirk is the worst defender by FAR! I guess we have to take the bad with the good.

bwdlionfan
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Go Spurs Go

Old Tiger
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
guess you don't watch much basketball.