PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's 30 for 30: Fab Five

Sweetwater Red
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
It comes on at 8 tonight on ESPN and 10 on ESPN2.

As a life long Michigan fan; I'm going to watch it and try not to puke. :(

Phil C
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It comes on at 8 tonight on ESPN and 10 on ESPN2.

As a life long Michigan fan; I'm going to watch it and try not to puke. :(

Don't worry about it. The NCAA due to certain rules that were violated has decided the season never even happened.

Sweetwater Red
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Don't worry about it. The NCAA due to certain rules that were violated has decided the season never even happened.

:(

DDBooger
03-13-2011, 09:04 PM
UNLV special by HBO was pretty good too.

Sweetwater Red
03-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
UNLV special by HBO was pretty good too.

The difference between Michigan and UNLV being that UNLV team was full of thugs.

trojandad
03-14-2011, 01:46 AM
when they asked john stockton why he never chose to wear the long shorts, he answered "there's no fad there to swallow, every other team in america has won the same number of championships the fab five won".....absolutely too funny......

lostaussie
03-14-2011, 07:43 AM
this show was awesome.............hope they air it again

Sweetwater Red
03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
this show was awesome.............hope they air it again

I agree. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about
Chris Webber. But, now I know how Jalen Rose really feels about
Christian Laettner, Grant Hill and the Duke basketball program. :D

DavidWooderson
03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I thought it was good....refreshed my memory about a lot of things.

DDBooger
03-14-2011, 10:21 AM
The difference between Michigan and UNLV being that UNLV team was full of thugs. and a National Championship.

trojandad
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM

....and how he feels about webber lying about the man who was helping them with money......webber kinda baled on a supporter.....big surprise there......

eagles_victory
03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Jalen Rose said it best the Fab 5 were bigger than the score. They didn't win the national championship but they made it back to back years more than most programs in the country can say.

DavidWooderson
03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I kept laughing at Jimmy King though how he kept saying, "We were five guys from the inner-city"......Didn't Jimmy King go to Plano East? What part of Plano is Inner-City? I know that the east side isn't as affluent as the west, but come on dude. You weren't playing at Kimball or Lincoln or FW Dunbar....YOU WERE AT PLANO EAST!

eagles_victory
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
I kept laughing at Jimmy King though how he kept saying, "We were five guys from the inner-city"......Didn't Jimmy King go to Plano East? What part of Plano is Inner-City? I know that the east side isn't as affluent as the west, but come on dude. You weren't playing at Kimball or Lincoln or FW Dunbar....YOU WERE AT PLANO EAST! In the DFW area where you play doesn't mean that is where your from a lot of the time.

coach
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
In the DFW area where you play doesn't mean that is where your from a lot of the time.

yea, just ask jr2004 lol

trojandad
03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Jalen Rose said it best the Fab 5 were bigger than the score. They didn't win the national championship but they made it back to back years more than most programs in the country can say.

which definitely means they are one of the best second place teams there ever was.....oh, wait, they aren't even a second place team anymore....lol

on a different note, isn't it funny that dean smith's only two championships came at the result of last second errors by the other team?...one from fred brown throwing the ballto james worthy in the last seconds and the other with webber's attentive listening in the huddle......smith should have been ashamed that first game was THAT close since he had worthy, jordan and sam perkins....he should have won that one going away......

eagles_victory
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

on a different note, isn't it funny that dean smith's only two championships came at the result of last second errors by the other team?...one from fred brown throwing the ballto james worthy in the last seconds and the other with webber's attentive listening in the huddle......smith should have been ashamed that first game was THAT close since he had worthy, jordan and sam perkins....he should have won that one going away...... I never thought of it that way but that is a real good point

Sweetwater Red
03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
But, now I know how Jalen Rose really feels about

And as fate would have it; guess who's meeting in round two?

pirate4state
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
In the DFW area where you play doesn't mean that is where your from a lot of the time. Plano is too far north.

Finally saw the special. Very well done.

Txbroadcaster
03-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Liked it..but with Rose doing the doc they made Fab Five out to be WAAY bigger than they were..claimed to do the baggy shorts( Jordan did it first)..claimed because all 5 were black they "scared" America( G-Town in the 80's and UNLV had FAR more of a cultural impact than Fab Five ever did).

PPHSfan
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
What the Hell is this sport that this thread is about? I know about the Fab Four. Never heard of a Fab Five. Were they posers?

SintonFan
03-19-2011, 02:13 AM

Guys talking about their feelings...:eek: :D
Fun stuff!

TheDOCTORdre
03-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Liked it..but with Rose doing the doc they made Fab Five out to be WAAY bigger than they were..claimed to do the baggy shorts( Jordan did it first)..claimed because all 5 were black they "scared" America( G-Town in the 80's and UNLV had FAR more of a cultural impact than Fab Five ever did).

heck and lets not forget UTEP/Texas Western

pirate4state
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Liked it..but with Rose doing the doc they made Fab Five out to be WAAY bigger than they were..claimed to do the baggy shorts( Jordan did it first)..claimed because all 5 were black they "scared" America( G-Town in the 80's and UNLV had FAR more of a cultural impact than Fab Five ever did). They mentioned that they were copying Jordan. No one had done it at the college level. I don't know anything about UNLV or what Georgetown did, but I do remember the Fab Five. Rose is right no one remembers year to year who won, but most NCAA basketball fans can tell you who the Fab Five were.

Txbroadcaster
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
They mentioned that they were copying Jordan. No one had done it at the college level. I don't know anything about UNLV or what Georgetown did, but I do remember the Fab Five. Rose is right no one remembers year to year who won, but most NCAA basketball fans can tell you who the Fab Five were.

Actually Illni with Kendall Gill in 89 wore them first. Webber even once said he talked to Gill about wearing them

Sweetwater Red
03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Actually Illni with Kendall Gill in 89 wore them first. Webber even once said he talked to Gill about wearing them

Dude. Is there a topic you won't debate? Lol

I mean what college team wore long shorts first? :doh:

Txbroadcaster
03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Dude. Is there a topic you won't debate? Lol

I mean what college team wore long shorts first? :doh:

sure is not..thought that was what message boards were for

and while I enjoyed the doc, I got tired of how they kept making it sound like they were some big icon that the world will remember for ever as a group that changed fashion, racial debates and so on,

turbostud
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Grant Hill's response to Jalen Rose (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/)