PDA

View Full Version : A Coach Question....

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
If you had a player that had been sitting out for 3 weeks until they got a passing progress report/report card .....

Would you not allow that player on the bus leaving at 3:15 to play in a game that starts at 5:00 and give the lame excuse that because school isn't out until 3:45 that was when the player would be eligible?

I think this is the silliest, damn thing I have ever heard!:evil:

Ranger Mom
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
So the kid wasn't allowed on the bus?

I am not sure I understand!

DavidWooderson
03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Not a coach...but it's always been my opinion that IF a player fails and has to miss games, he/she shouldn't be allowed to play in that first game back anyway. They can suit up but not play. You let your team down when you didn't make grades, why should you get your spot back just because you're eligible?

Coach BS
03-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Depends on how good the player is

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
Depends on how good the player is

probably...

RM, no, she did not get to go and play this evening. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
Not a coach...but it's always been my opinion that IF a player fails and has to miss games, he/she shouldn't be allowed to play in that first game back anyway. They can suit up but not play. You let your team down when you didn't make grades, why should you get your spot back just because you're eligible?

Perhaps, but you are missing the point that she wasn't allowed to go on the bus because of the time issue.

The coach could have allowed her to go and still sat her butt on the bench if he wanted to.

Sweetwater Red
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
If you had a player that had been sitting out for 3 weeks until they got a passing progress report/report card .....

Would you not allow that player on the bus leaving at 3:15 to play in a game that starts at 5:00 and give the lame excuse that because school isn't out until 3:45 that was when the player would be eligible?

I think this is the silliest, damn thing I have ever heard!:evil:

Couldn't she have just rode with a parent or someone and been
eligible by game time?:confused:

pirate4state
03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
It is a silly rule, but I think it is state wide or at least the rule in our district.

I remember driving three of our softball girls to a game because they wouldn't be eligible until AFTER school and therefore could not travel on the team bus TO the game.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Couldn't she have just rode with a parent or someone and been
eligible by game time?:confused:

I don't know, nobody asked the parent (me).

I think it was just a bit ridiculous. I was planning on taking off early and going to the game. Guess he just saved me the gas to West Oso.:mad:

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It is a silly rule, but I think it is state wide or at least the rule in our district.

I remember driving three of our softball girls to a game because they wouldn't be eligible until AFTER school and therefore could not travel on the team bus TO the game.

I guess that makes me feel a bit better.:thinking:

I would have taken her too though....

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Actually, no, if she's not eligible, she can't get on the bus. As far as this situation is concerned, it's a gray area since the game itself starts after the player would regain eligiblity. But, if the coach does let her on the bus and turns out to be wrong, it could be that coach's job. Coach was just trying to err on the side of caution. That's exactly what I would have done.
Of course, if this was a player that could be a difference maker, I'd find out for sure. But if it's just some ham-n-egger who couldn't keep their grades up, I wouldn't go out of my way to find out.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Of course, if this was a player that could be a difference maker, I'd find out for sure. But if it's just some ham-n-egger who couldn't keep their grades up, I wouldn't go out of my way to find out.

I'm not sure that I would admit that if I were you....

the so-called "ham-n-egger" went to every practice while not being able to play...

I wouldn't want the Coach in trouble for letting her on the bus either if it is a rule. I would just expect every courtesy afforded to any other player in the same situation.

Sinton's Coach apparently had the right idea about how to legally allow his girls to play...good job P4S.

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure that I would admit that if I were you....

the so-called "ham-n-egger" went to every practice while not being able to play...

I wouldn't want the Coach in trouble for letting her on the bus either if it is a rule. I would just expect every courtesy afforded to any other player in the same situation.

Sinton's Coach apparently had the right idea about how to legally allow his girls to play...good job P4S.

If the kid missed a single practice while being ineligible, they'd be long gone from my team. It's bad enough that they let the entire team down by failing to take care of their grades, but to then miss practice? That's not to be comended, that's to be expected.
I honestly see no place for complaint. The player is the one who failed to take care of their academics. Not the coach.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
If the kid missed a single practice while being ineligible, they'd be long gone from my team. It's bad enough that they let the entire team down by failing to take care of their grades, but to then miss practice? That's not to be comended, that's to be expected.
I honestly see no place for complaint. The player is the one who failed to take care of their academics. Not the coach.

I always forget how perfect and "Godlike" you coaches are. Pretty easy for you to pass judgement without even knowing her or the amount of effort she has put out.

You yourself stated that it would make a difference whether you even bothered to find out about the legality based on the skill level of the player.:dispntd:

I don't blame the coach for her failing grade. I blame him for not telling her until today that she would not get to go to the game.

Sweetwater Red
03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I always forget how perfect and "Godlike" you coaches are.

You have to forgive him AP. He's going through an identity crisis right now and will most likely
will be unemployed soon. ;)

Additup
03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Coach was right. Can't get on bus until end of school day. If another coach brought players later, they better be transporting them legally. ( in another school bus) Some school districts have local policy that requires players to ride to the event on the bus in order to play.

Emerson1
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
If you are stupid enough to fail a class in high school you have bigger issues.

Bullaholic
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Goodness gracious, folks---most of us are parents and don't like to see our kids hurt or embarrassed under any circumstances---I think that as a mother, that is what AP is feeling right now. At least she has the good sense to admit that the situation was created by her daughter---all she's asking for was an alternative to her daughter missing the game altogether---what's wrong with that? Sorry, coach, I'm not seeing the mother's little darling thing here, and I do understand the coach's position. The playing ability of the kid should have nothing to do with a coach's decision in this situation---even though ETB was honest enough to admit that in the real world it would have a bearing on some coaches actions. Looks to me like you have a mother and daughter trying hard to be a part of the team, even when this girl may not even see playing time. I would want that kind of a parent and player, myself.

BwdLion73
03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I failed a half semester once. :( The ham and eggs remark was made in jest.....I hope. All the threads about pay and budget issues and now we hear "is the kid important to winning"?

I'm not going to get on a rant here but coming from a broken home I still have much respect for our teachers and coaching staff over 35 years ago. If the kid brought the grade up then work with the parent or someone to get them to the game with their schoolmates. You might be surprised at what that child turns out to be 35 years later. :thinking:

eagles_victory
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Is it even legal for a player to play in the game if they don't ride the bus with the team. Maybe it is just a Fairfield rule but when I played if you didn't ride the bus you didn't play.

As a coach now, I tell my middle schoolers the state says you have to keep a C average to be able to play. I think that is a terrible rule I don't want any C average players on my team to remain eligible you must make all A's and B's.

bobcat1
03-11-2011, 07:46 PM
There wasn't No Pass No Play back in the day. I was lucky enough to always pass except first 6 weeks of Algebra. (I made all A's in her class after that. Dad and Coach made sure) I know for a fact you didn't want to bring a D to practice. The consequences weren't good there or at home. Mother was a sophomore English Teacher.

I was fortunate enough to have 4 boys that never missed a game due to grades. 2 were harder to get thru to than the others. I understand what AP is saying about letting the girl know she was not playing Friday night no matter waht rather than stringing her along but I think this will be a valuable lesson learned for her long term if she truly loves the game albeit roundball. It's horrible for tonight but it will be great later AP. You'll see.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eagles_victory
03-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Maybe the coach just thought she knew what the rule was?

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Ham-n-egger meant someone who isn't a factor on the field. Also known as chicken frys. Most kids Ive had who have failed classes carry that same work ethic and attitude to athletics.
So, I still stand my original response. If it was someone vital to the team, I would probably go a little further out of my way to find out.

bigwood33
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

As a coach now, I tell my middle schoolers the state says you have to keep a C average to be able to play.
That is NOT the rule. It is not a C average it is all grades C or better. 5- A's and 1- D is a 3.5 GPA and also failing. You would get to sit until the D is at least a C.

eagles_victory
03-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
That is NOT the rule. It is not a C average it is all grades C or better. 5- A's and 1- D is a 3.5 GPA and also failing. You would get to sit until the D is at least a C. lol someone needs to see D3 that was a quote. I know the rule

Coach BS
03-12-2011, 02:12 AM
you don't have to ride the bus to the game to be able to play, that maybe the schools policy but not a state rule. Many kids that play more than one sport do this,tennis,track,golf, etc. example: the kid is in track does her field event loads up in a personally owned car heads to the softball game and plays.
I'm sure the coach has a reason, why don't you just ask?

pancho villa
03-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Just so y'all know a student is not able to ride the bus untill school is over when becoming eligible again. UIL rule.

runtowin
03-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I have let the kids ride to the game and I had their equipment there waiting for them. Rule is they can't ride or participate in events until 3:45 period.

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone (even you, ETB) I appreciate your insights.

I was really upset yesterday. I thought about it for hours and am going to chalk it up to "lack of communication" between the coach and my daughter and/or me.

I also think there might be a lack of consistency among coaches of different sports within the district about this rule. Not one of those things I am prepared to pursue since I do believe in picking my battles and this doesn't even meet the criteria for a skirmish.

Again, thank you everyone for your commments....well everyone BUT you, Emerson1. If I ever need parenting tips, I seriously doubt you will be the one I ask for help.:D

eagles_victory
03-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone (even you, ETB) I appreciate your insights.

I was really upset yesterday. I thought about it for hours and am going to chalk it up to "lack of communication" between the coach and my daughter and/or me.

I also think there might be a lack of consistency among coaches of different sports within the district about this rule. Not one of those things I am prepared to pursue since I do believe in picking my battles and this doesn't even meet the criteria for a skirmish.

Again, thank you everyone for your commments....well everyone BUT you, Emerson1. If I ever need parenting tips, I seriously doubt you will be the one I ask for help.:D Emerson just being Emerson I always passed but barely in high school and same with Coach and we are both graduating college in May. Your daughter will be fine.

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Emerson just being Emerson I always passed but barely in high school and same with Coach and we are both graduating college in May. Your daughter will be fine.

Thanks, I know she will. Not all lessons are learned from a book. Congratulations to you too! I bet May cannot get here quick enough to suit you.....just around the corner though!:)

eagles_victory
03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks, I know she will. Not all lessons are learned from a book. Congratulations to you too! I bet May cannot get here quick enough to suit you.....just around the corner though!:) Ah in a way im enjoying student teaching though well some days.