PDA

View Full Version : When you die....

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
what do you want to happen to your body??

Embalmed and encased in an overpriced coffin.....expensive funeral?

Cremated and ashes given to family.....not nearly as expensive.

Donate all harvestable organs and then donate rest of body to science?? Some places will even cremate when done with the body and send the ashes back to the family!!

What do you think??

Ernest T Bass
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I doubt I'll complain either way.

DDBooger
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/therockdisciple/lebowski.gif

pirate4state
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
My wish is to be cremated.

Beyond that --- what difference is it to me? HA! :D

TheDOCTORdre
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
what do you want to happen to your body??

Embalmed and encased in an overpriced coffin.....expensive funeral?

Cremated and ashes given to family.....not nearly as expensive.

Donate all harvestable organs and then donate rest of body to science?? Some places will even cremate when done with the body and send the ashes back to the family!!

What do you think??

prop me up beside the jukebox

waterboy
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Haha.......no kidding! If you hear any complaints from me after I'm dead just prop me up in the corner and I'll tell you what I want.....:D

bobcat1
Viking funeral over my favorite fishing spot.:D

Ranger Mom

After having to pay for my sister's funeral...which is why we went with the cremation, I just know that I don't want to put that burden on my family!!

RoyceTTU
I want to lie next to Ted Williams just incase somebody decideds I have good DNA.

Please don't use my head as a baseball though:doh:

44INAROW
03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I am beginning to lean towards this direction myself..........

RoyceTTU
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
On second thought, I want to Move like Berney:D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKhyM1aBrI

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Beyond that --- what difference is it to me? HA! :D

Me too!! I am asking this from a "financial" point of view!

I just think the whole body in a $6,000.00+ casket and being buried in a cemetery where people feel honor bound to come "visit" or never come at all and it's just a waste of space and money....is crazy!!

DDBooger
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Viking funeral over my favorite fishing spot.:D :clap: Valhalla awaits its Orange viking

DDBooger
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM

I just think the whole body in a $6,000.00+ casket and being buried in a cemetery where people feel honor bound to come "visit" or never come at all and it's just a waste of space and money....is crazy!! haha funny way to look at it. I'm burying $6,000.

waterboy
03-09-2011, 04:21 PM
After having to pay for my sister's funeral...which is why we went with the cremation, I just know that I don't want to put that burden on my family!!
I hear ya. The fix for that would be to have a burial policy with instructions already in place. I definitely don't want my family making a fuss over my body. After all, I won't be there anymore. I've buried two brothers in which I paid for the funerals. The ARE expensive, but it was done the way I wanted it done. Thankfully, when my mother and dad died they had sisters (my aunts) who took care of the burials. My mother had burial insurance, and two life insurance policies. I'm not sure if my dad did or not.

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
haha funny way to look at it. I'm burying $6,000.

When we were trying to decide what to do with my sister...that was what the funeral home quoted to us as the least expensive coffin....I couldn't believe it!

Heck...by law, they have to be incinerated in a cardbox box that cost $96 dollars!!!

Ernest T Bass
03-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Just put me in this...

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h467/orangemachine81/photo1.jpg

DDBooger
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
:spitlol:

Just put me in this...

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h467/orangemachine81/photo1.jpg :fnypost:

Pick6
03-09-2011, 04:27 PM
When we were trying to decide what to do with my sister...that was what the funeral home quoted to us as the least expensive coffin....I couldn't believe it!

Heck...by law, they have to be incinerated in a cardbox box that cost $96 dollars!!!

you can order them from Wal-mart for less than $1000...lol

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ref=+425084&Find.x=0&ta=1&Find.y=0&search_query=coffin&ic=48_0&refineresult=true&search_constraint=0&prevTerm=coffins

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I hear ya. The fix for that would be to have a burial policy with instructions already in place. I definitely don't want my family making a fuss over my body. After all, I won't be there anymore. I've buried two brothers in which I paid for the funerals. The ARE expensive, but it was done the way I wanted it done. Thankfully, when my mother and dad died they had sisters (my aunts) who took care of the burials. My mother had burial insurance, and two life insurance policies. I'm not sure if my dad did or not.

My mom had that with her second husband. He died in 1983. They had the "couples headstone" or whatever it is. She has remarried since then and her name is on the other half of that heart on that headstone, yet it will never show that she died!

She and my stepdad do have some kind of policy, but my mom, after seeing just what the price difference is in a burial and cremation was, has decided that they will also be cremated.

My dad and stepmom worked for a funeral home for several years....I found out more than I ever wanted to know about just how much these places can "rape" a grieving family. It is for THAT reason that my parents don't work their anymore...they couldn't stomach what they learned!

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
you can order them from Wal-mart for less than $1000...lol

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ref=+425084&Find.x=0&ta=1&Find.y=0&search_query=coffin&ic=48_0&refineresult=true&search_constraint=0&prevTerm=coffins

Do you know that most places insist you buy from them?? Found that out too!!

pirate4state
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I am forever thankful that my dad arranged everything years ago. When he died dealing with the funeral home was a breeze. He & my mom had their caskets picked out and what they did & did not want and had started to pay on it. It wasn't totally paid for when he died, but the rest of his insurance covered the cost and my mom's was paid off a few years ago. It is a HUGE weight off my mind.

Blastoderm55
03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Cremate me, load me up in a thermos, and throw me in the trunk.

BwdLion73
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
The tough part is after the death. Its easy to sit around and say "just cremate me and get it over" but it is hard when you know (or feel) your Mother should be next to her Mom and Dad. I've been through the same thing as many of you on this site but spent the 7 or 8 thousand. It may be....no it is a racket....but I pay the money for ME. I understand people on here saying what they say they want done, however we that are left have to live with our decisions. I spent the money and can visit my mom and grandparents. It may not make a difference to the one that pass away but we have to live with it. :(

Txbroadcaster
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
The tough part is after the death. Its easy to sit around and say "just cremate me and get it over" but it is hard when you know (or feel) your Mother should be next to her Mom and Dad. I've been through the same thing as many of you on this site but spent the 7 or 8 thousand. It may be....no it is a racket....but I pay the money for ME. I understand people on here saying what they say they want done, however we that are left have to live with our decisions. I spent the money and can visit my mom and grandparents. It may not make a difference to the one that pass away but we have to live with it. :(

IMO this is the main reason cremating is better..unless you spread their ashes, you have them in an urn with you at all times.

Ranger Mom
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
My step-sister lost her son 23 years ago when he was 2 in an accidental drowning incident.

They lived in Garden City at the time and that is where he is buried.

As often happens, she and her husband divorced after the death of Colby, and my step-sister ended up moving to the Dallas area.

It haunts her EVERY DAY that she left Colby's grave here. It is never tended to, never visited, etc.

She said she wishes now that she would have had him cremated and either kept the ashes with her or spread them somewhere.

BwdLion73
03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
This is a subject that is close to the heart of people who have had to make these choices. I was giving my story and reason and understand that everyone has tough decisions to make. I hope that it did not come off that I was more compassionate that someone else.

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
This is a subject that is close to the heart of people who have had to make these choices. I was giving my story and reason and understand that everyone has tough decisions to make. I hope that it did not come off that I was more compassionate that someone else.

It didn't to me. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

turbostud
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I want to be mummified but I think it is super expensive. I looked it up a few months ago and it was in the 60-75k range.

SintonFan
03-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I want to be mummified but I think it is super expensive. I looked it up a few months ago and it was in the 60-75k range.

Interesting.:thinking:

WildTexan972
03-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Mafia style.....

unmarked hole in the desert with no boxes or headstones or such....

no maintenance on a patch of ground

GrTigers6
03-09-2011, 08:54 PM
To quote Casey Donahu band, "Put me on a bonfire and light it up, ...then roll me up and smoke me when I'm gone" :D
Seriously I would rather be cremated than think about all that goes on when a body decomposes.:eek:

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned being cryogenically frozen just incase they find a cure
for death or something. :thinking:

Blastoderm55
03-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned being cryogenically frozen just incase they find a cure

Heck no, I'd wake up in San Angeles and people would be wearing kimonos, saying "Be Well," and the only restaurants would be Taco Bells! :D

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Heck no, I'd wake up in San Angeles and people would be wearing kimonos, saying "Be Well," and the only restaurants would be Taco Bells! :D

Lol. One of the worst movies ever. :D

bobcat4life
03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
When I die, I want to be buried face down so that the world can kiss my ass :cool:

PPHSfan
03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm never gonna die. I've got tiger blood, and a superior brain.

Saggy Aggie
03-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
On second thought, I want to Move like Berney:D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKhyM1aBrI hahahaha

I've started the next big thing on 3adl. yessssss

pancho villa
03-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't care! However I want all my people to have a big party!

RoyceTTU
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I want to lie next to Ted Williams just incase somebody decideds I have good DNA.

Please don't use my head as a baseball though:doh:

:thumbsup: :p

nobogey72
03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Our then 20 yr old son died 6 yrs ago and he had always said he wanted to be cremated. When it came to that point it kind of bothered me thinking about not having a site to go to. But, my wife found these gold crosses that are hollow and that the funeral home could fill with his ashes and then seal. My wife and I and our other 2 kids all got them and wear them around our necks on a chain that hangs down around our hearts. When it is all said and done, that cross around my neck has meant more to me than I think a grave site would have. :)

RoyceTTU
03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Our then 20 yr old son died 6 yrs ago and he had always said he wanted to be cremated. When it came to that point it kind of bothered me thinking about not having a site to go to. But, my wife found these gold crosses that are hollow and that the funeral home could fill with his ashes and then seal. My wife and I and our other 2 kids all got them and wear them around our necks on a chain that hangs down around our hearts. When it is all said and done, that cross around my neck has meant more to me than I think a grave site would have. :)

Man, that is a pretty cool idea:clap:

waterboy
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Man, I've never even heard of that. That's awesome.

To be honest with y'all, I rarely even go to the graveyards to visit my loved ones...:( I know it's sad, but it's true.

Ranger Mom
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM

That is an awesome idea!!!

When my sister died I had the funeral home keep an impression of her thumbprint and for Christmas I gave her son her thumbprint pendant on a chain.

Ranger Mom
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Man, I've never even heard of that. That's awesome.

To be honest with y'all, I rarely even go to the graveyards to visit my loved ones...:( I know it's sad, but it's true.

I don't think most people do....which is why I think it's just a huge waste of money and space!!

crzyjournalist03
03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
my grandfather died last weekend.

We're all getting ziploc baggies of ashes to do whatever we please with them this weekend.

Kind of wanting to go to the Ballpark in Arlington to spread them, but I have a feeling there are probably legal issues with that, but I haven't looked into it.

Ranger Mom
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
my grandfather died last weekend.

We're all getting ziploc baggies of ashes to do whatever we please with them this weekend.

Kind of wanting to go to the Ballpark in Arlington to spread them, but I have a feeling there are probably legal issues with that, but I haven't looked into it.

I have! Don't tell anyone what you are doing, don't make it a big production.

I just ordered one of those cremain crosses for my sister's boyfriend who has a bottle of her ashes in his room right now, waiting for warmer weather so he can scatter them.

GrTigers6
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I always wanted to have my ashes dumped in the pool at the playboy mansion:D

GrTigers6
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Our then 20 yr old son died 6 yrs ago and he had always said he wanted to be cremated. When it came to that point it kind of bothered me thinking about not having a site to go to. But, my wife found these gold crosses that are hollow and that the funeral home could fill with his ashes and then seal. My wife and I and our other 2 kids all got them and wear them around our necks on a chain that hangs down around our hearts. When it is all said and done, that cross around my neck has meant more to me than I think a grave site would have. :) That is an awesome idea!:clap:

j_dog
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM

I just think the whole body in a $6,000.00+ casket and being buried in a cemetery where people feel honor bound to come "visit" or never come at all and it's just a waste of space and money....is crazy!!
You have to admit though that the old fashioned burial in a cemetery is better for the worms. They like to eat cadavers I hear. If anyone likes worms, that is the way to go! Not to mention helping out the funeral industry. In the old days families took care of this for themselves. Now it costs thousands of dollars.

I am for the organ donations if needed, and then science and/or cremation.