PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Men's BBall might be in trouble???

WestTxschwab
03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I read that Perry Jones III who plays basketball for Baylor is not playing tonite in the Big 12 Tournament. There have been multiple reports that this may be more than a team rules thing. We will have to wait and see what kind of lie Scott Drew comes up with when he gets asked the question on air.

Maybe this will shed some light on how Baylor is getting 5 star recruits to go to school there...

I am not taking credit for the info. Just sharing it.

RoyceTTU
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab
I read that Perry Jones III who plays basketball for Baylor is not playing tonite in the Big 12 Tournament. There have been multiple reports that this may be more than a team rules thing. We will have to wait and see what kind of lie Scott Drew comes up with when he gets asked the question on air.

Maybe this will shed some light on how Baylor is getting 5 star recruits to go to school there...

I am not taking credit for the info. Just sharing it.

Sounds like he might be driving a vehicle he dosn't own, or something to that effect. He has been suspended for atleast tonights game.

WestTxschwab
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope Isiah Austin is keeping up with this(5 star recruit going there next year)

Look at what this 5 star recruit going to Baylor tweeted...

qmillertime

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perry Jones supended? Whhhhaaaaaa?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweet from Quincy Miller, 5* PF BU commit

sahen
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
http://www.baylor.edu/pr/news.php?action=story&story=89800

Baylor Freshman Forward Perry Jones III Declared Ineligible For Receiving Pre-Enrollment Benefit
March 9, 2011
Kansas City, Mo. -- Baylor University freshman forward Perry Jones III has been declared ineligible for a pre-enrollment amateurism violation/preferential treatment, school officials announced before the Bears were to take the floor to face Oklahoma in the opening round of the 2011 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo., at 6 p.m. Wednesday. This is not considered to be an institutional violation of NCAA rules.

Baylor University was informed of the NCAA's decision on Jones III this afternoon and immediately appealed to have his eligibility reinstated.

"We are profoundly disappointed in the timing and determination in this matter," said Baylor Director of Athletics Ian McCaw. "This outcome appears to be inconsistent with other recent, widely discussed NCAA decisions."

Jones III had no knowledge of three, 15-day loans between his mother and AAU coach that were provided while Jones III was in high school. The loans were repaid in a timely manner, according to interviews conducted by Baylor officials and the NCAA staff. Prior to his enrollment at Baylor, Jones' AAU coach also paid for Jones' travel to a professional pre-season football game in San Diego, Calif.

McCaw indicated that Baylor has been cooperative and transparent in working with the NCAA through this process, and that no Baylor representatives were involved or aware of any preferential treatment between the AAU coach and Jones' family, whose relationship dates to at least the sixth grade.

"Perry is to be commended for being cooperative and forthcoming during this unfortunate process," McCaw said

Jones III, a finalist for the 2011 Wayman Tisdale Award given to the nation's top freshman, earned second-team All-Big 12 honors and leads all Big 12 freshmen in both scoring (13.9 ppg) and field goal percentage (.549).

Baylor and Jones III will have no further comment until his appeal process is completed.

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, Baylor is about to tip off against OU. I guess we'll see how much they miss him.

sahen
03-09-2011, 07:19 PM
probably a lot...our season was over anyway, but sucks he couldn't play out the year....we do have al ot of talent though, maybe we can find a way to win this game and a couple in the NIT...if we win this game no way we beat Texas though...

the announcers did just say the NCAA is not considering this an institutional violation (makes sense since it was while he was in high school)....looks like the people who were hoping the program was going to go down in flames may have to wait around longer...

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by sahen

the announcers did just say the NCAA is not considering this an institutional violation (makes sense since it was while he was in high school)....looks like the people who were hoping the program was going to go down in flames may have to wait around longer...

I heard that too. That's obviously huge for Baylor. I know you question the timing of the suspension.
But, I think the NCAA is trying to move faster in all investigations as to avoid punishing a school
long after the culprits are gone. USC, Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush come to mind.

sahen
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I heard that too. That's obviously huge for Baylor. I know you question the timing of the suspension.
But, I think the NCAA is trying to move faster in all investigations as to avoid punishing a school
long after the culprits are gone. USC, Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush come to mind.

fresh on my mind is Ohio State and Cam Newton...this is the exact opposite of what the NCAA did in those situations...

not only that they did it the day of our tournament game taking away any chance for us to appeal...

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
fresh on my mind is Ohio State and Cam Newton...this is the exact opposite of what the NCAA did in those situations...

not only that they did it the day of our tournament game taking away any chance for us to appeal...

I'm curious to see what they do to Tressel for lying after they took away Dez Bryant's last
year for something that seems much more
harmless.

That's true. I heard the announcers say they can appeal tomorrow. But, given the halftime score,
Baylor is headed to the NIT.

sahen
03-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I'm curious to see what they do to Tressel for lying after they took away Dez Bryant's last
year for something that seems much more
harmless.

That's true. I heard the announcers say they can appeal tomorrow. But, given the halftime score,
Baylor is headed to the NIT.

Tressel SHOULD lose his job for lying (i'd lose mine if i lied at work to auditors which is basically what the NCAA is)...however, he won't cause athletics doesn't follow the same rules as the rest of world...i dont konw what his punishment is going to be from the NCAA but atleast Dez had the argument that he is just a kid and kids do dumb things, Tressel is a grown man, he knew what he was doing...

coach
03-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Tressel SHOULD lose his job for lying (i'd lose mine if i lied at work to auditors which is basically what the NCAA is)...however, he won't cause athletics doesn't follow the same rules as the rest of world...i dont konw what his punishment is going to be from the NCAA but atleast Dez had the argument that he is just a kid and kids do dumb things, Tressel is a grown man, he knew what he was doing...

he is suspended 2 games

sahen
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by coach
he is suspended 2 games

let me guess the spring game this year and next?

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I agree. BDR mentioned that the 'untouchable' programs were finally coming under scrutiny.

Looks like OSU is finally getting theirs. Tressel has recruited Troy Smith, Maurice Clarett and now
Terrell Pryor and now he says he wasn't sure
who to notify with the allegations he received
in an e-mail? :rolleyes:

coach
03-09-2011, 09:36 PM
let me guess the spring game this year and next?

lol no its akron and toledo...and that's just ohio state's suspension. the ncaa has not disciplined him yet

Sweetwater Red
03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by coach
lol no its akron and toledo...and that's just ohio state's suspension. the ncaa has not disciplined him yet

If the NCAA wants to have any credibilty then they'll add more games. If they accept OSU's
self imposed penalty they will continue to look like a fraud.

coach
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
i say add 3 more games. have the same amount as the players had

Rabid Cougar
03-10-2011, 12:44 AM
How is this PJIII incident any different than Cam Newton's?

sahen
03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
How is this PJIII incident any different than Cam Newton's?

apparantly $199,000...also, Jones mother repaid cause it was just loans not actual money for pay situation....and the money for Newton was apparantly solicited from an actual school whereas Jones was loaned from a family friend/AAU coach that had no connection whatsoever to Baylor...the other difference was that Newton was the Heismann winner fixing to play in one of the biggest NCAA money makers for the national title while Jones played basketball for a team that pretty much makes no money for the NCAA and were desperately trying to make the NCAA title with a run in the big 12 tourney...

really the only similarity in the situations is that Newton and Jones both claim to have not known...

Red Bull
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
To the NCAA, Ohio State is Ohio State and Auburn is Auburn.

And unfortunately, Baylor is Baylor.

Enough said.

Red Bull
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Also, where there is smoke there is fire. We saw that with Reggie Bush case, it will most likely prove to be the case with Cam and more than likely the same for BU.

sahen
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Red Bull
Also, where there is smoke there is fire. We saw that with Reggie Bush case, it will most likely prove to be the case with Cam and more than likely the same for BU.

This is not an institutional infraction...it happened years before jones was at baylor when he was 16...it is completely different than the newton and bush situations...really the only involvement with baylor here is that he plays for us when the ncaa found out about hthis...

sahen
03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
To the NCAA, Ohio State is Ohio State and Auburn is Auburn.

And unfortunately, Baylor is Baylor.

Enough said.

The point is that when u are a governing body it should not matter the name of the school and is exactly why this is wrong...

Red Bull
03-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Sahen,

You must have your head in the sand if you don't realize the NCAA does not govern equally to all member schools. You don't have to go back too far in history to see that. The big time schools get a slap on the wrist at most, and the small schools get hammered.

If I were Baylor I would be very concerned. Rumors have surrounded that program on recruiting ever since Drew set foot on campus.

sahen
03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Sahen,

You must have your head in the sand if you don't realize the NCAA does not govern equally to all member schools. You don't have to go back too far in history to see that. The big time schools get a slap on the wrist at most, and the small schools get hammered.

If I were Baylor I would be very concerned. Rumors have surrounded that program on recruiting ever since Drew set foot on campus.

Red Bull,

If you think that I don't realize this then you must be the one with the head in the sand as I have pointed it out on 2 seperate threads about this. The point I am making is that it is getting ridiculous and needs to stop. The fact that it is only not shocking when it happens and now people like you have started to just accept it as an unquestionable truth of the NCAA is the very reason that it needs to be stopped. The bigger state schools already have enough advantages to let them cheat uncontrollably while the smaller schools are not allowed to do the same.

Since Drew set foot on our campus the we have been under an NCAA microscope and this is the most they can come up with. It isn't even a University of infraction. I am not worried about our basketball coaches ability to out-recruit other teams as he is a work-a-holic who shown the ability to recruit this well when he was at Valpo. Now he has a Big 12 program to recruit to so naturally it should be easier to recruit there. However, I do worry about his in-game coaching ability.

Red Bull
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Sahen,

Yes if I were you I would be much more worried about his coaching ability. He will get the recruits to Baylor one way or another as he has already. To go from elite 8 to not even in the tournament a year later with so much talent should be very concerning to Baylor fans.

I hope you are correct and he is clean, but when you here the contrary so many places it makes you wonder. The conference doesn't need any issues so hopefully you are correct.

Good luck to Baylor in the NIT.

Red Bull
03-14-2011, 10:27 AM
My bad. Baylor didn't make the NIT. What is up with that?

sahen
03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
My bad. Baylor didn't make the NIT. What is up with that?

Only thing I can think of is that the NIT committee already knows that the NCAA will not reinstate Perry Jones...Nebraska and Oklahoma State made the NIT who we finished ahead of in conference and neither of them had a non-conference schedule that would put them above us..Colorado got shafted and shouldve made the NCAA tourney but are in the NIT...

oh well, the way this year has gone part of me is glad that it is over and we can just move on...

eagles_victory
03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
My bad. Baylor didn't make the NIT. What is up with that? NIT is all about the money and only the money when they set their bracket up.

Red Bull
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
NIT about them money? And TSU is in, but Baylor is out?? It just doesn't add up.

big daddy russ
03-16-2011, 03:26 AM
That's what they said about the Duke lacrosse team...