PDA

View Full Version : Just signed up to coach my son in Minors(9-10) this year!!

WestTxschwab
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Moving up in divisions, no more machine pitch..lol I think we are going to go with the RockHounds like the minor league team in Midland. I just want to be diffrent, not any of the big teams you see every year.

Any pointers?

Ranger Mom
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Have TONS of patience!!:)

BaseballUmp
03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Have TONS of patience!!:)

This

Me and 2 friends coached a team our senior year in high school. One of my friends little brother was on the team. Beside him, we had to draft basically an entire team. God I swear I wish all of those kids were my own so I could beat the ......out of them sometime. Nothing like having a kid acting up in the dugout and you telling them to settle down only to have them spray water all over you and run and tell mommy and daddy that you are being mean to them.

Needless to say, this was the only year I ever coached a team.
Maybe when I have kids and I have a little more patience, but 80% of the kids on our team pissed me off.

bobcat1
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
This

Me and 2 friends coached a team our senior year in high school. One of my friends little brother was on the team. Beside him, we had to draft basically an entire team. God I swear I wish all of those kids were my own so I could beat the ......out of them sometime. Nothing like having a kid acting up in the dugout and you telling them to settle down only to have them spray water all over you and run and tell mommy and daddy that you are being mean to them.

Needless to say, this was the only year I ever coached a team.
Maybe when I have kids and I have a little more patience, but 80% of the kids on our team pissed me off. Wait until you get the "Why didn't Little Johnny get to start" arse chewing. When you explain it was because he didn't come to practice all week, you get the well some of have to work speech. Like you don't?? :D

BaseballUmp
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Wait until you get the "Why didn't Little Johnny get to start" arse chewing. When you explain it was because he didn't come to practice all week, you get the well some of have to work speech. Like you don't?? :D

Haha shoot I was still a senior, had baseball practice every day of the week, then headed to the little fields for practice or games right after my own practice and I was plenty tired, but still made it just about everytime. Had the fire chiefs grandsons on my team and I suggested that maybe he have them checked for ADHD. I have never seen 2 kids more hyper. It was definitely a learning experience though. I think we won 2 games that season...and one was a forfeit haha. Still took them to pizza hut for that one

Bearkat
03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab
Moving up in divisions, no more machine pitch..lol I think we are going to go with the RockHounds like the minor league team in Midland. I just want to be diffrent, not any of the big teams you see every year.

Any pointers?

Have fun!!! Don't worry about wins and losses. When it comes to coaching the game itself, please teach these youngsters to throw the ball. I see kids, in high school, every year that come out for the baseball team that can not throw 90 feet. Most of the youth coaches are in such a hurry to teach strategy and plays that they forget about the basics. Teach fundamentals of the game. Throwing, catching, fielding.

sahen
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
dont pay to take them to a pro/minor league game or anywhere...if any play college ball it may come back as a violation

Old Tiger
03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
yell at the umpires as much as possible.

WestTxschwab
03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I will yell quite often, the problem is our league is officiated by high school kids who get paid by the game. kinda sad...our city rec department is not all that good.

Old Blue
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
please read the whole rule book

ccmom
03-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab

Any pointers? If the other team steals a base, yell "he left early!!!" You'll fit right in! :D

Have fun!! I have a son playing in this age group, too. We love baseball!!:clap:

coach
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
change your team name to the peggers so when your team yells 1, 2, 3 peggers it sounds like peckers

Rabid Cougar
03-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Retired after 14 years of coaching from T- ball to 13-14 year olds with both my boys several years ago.

I don't miss it but I enjoyed the hell out of it when I did....most of the time.