PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best pass defense in the State??

Donkey41
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
I know La Vernia has one of the best pass defenses:

Hondo- 12yrds.
Midland Christian- -17yrds.
Wimberley 62yrds.
Jourdanton 34yrds.
Poteet 0yrds.

Which is 19.2 yrds per game!!!!

Who else thinks that their team can match or beat that let me know. And have stats to back it up please.

The One
10-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Have those teams played passing teams? My vote would have to go to Newton or Gainesville. Gainesville gave Bridgeport all we wanted. Could those teams stop a passing offense like Bridgeport?

sinton66
10-05-2002, 11:04 AM
Perhaps the question should be rephrased, Who has the speed to defend against some of the fastest receivers in all of 3A? Who can successfully defend against a spread of five receivers at the same time? The answer to these questions may not actually be known for a while. wink

The One
10-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Well put Sinton!

slpybear the bullfan
10-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I agree... it is who has the speed to hang with receivers and also that speed helps put the KiBosh on RAC yards.

Watching HS Ball, one thing jumps out at you. Speed can really open a game up for you. When the track star breaks free after a big catch or run, he can really tack on the yards and score if he has speed the D can't match.

So I really like D's with speed so they can close on the track stars carrying the ball and limit the big yards.

And I will echo some previous comments. Unless you play a high ranked offense, those Defensive stats mean nothing.

slpybear

Colt42
10-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Rate Member posted October 05, 2002 09:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hondo- 12yrds.
Wimberley 62yrds.
Jourdanton 34yrds.
Poteet 0yrds.

Look who has the most yards against them....Wimberly, that should tell you something about who there playing right there.

Donkey41
10-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Colt42:
Rate Member posted October 05, 2002 09:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hondo- 12yrds.
Wimberley 62yrds.
Jourdanton 34yrds.
Poteet 0yrds.

Look who has the most yards against them....Wimberly, that should tell you something about who there playing right there.Actually in that game 52 of those yrds were in the first half. Then the talk came at halftime and we buckled down. And to everyone who doesn't think we have speed; both corner's and both safties run a 4.5 or less.

sinton66
10-05-2002, 12:59 PM
No one said we don't think you have speed. You're missing the point. How will your speed match up with wide-outs and backs out of the bacfield that run 4.2's and 4.3's, and have the ability to snag the ball in full stride and get plenty of run after catch yards? I think what everyone is trying to say is that you haven't really played a top passing team yet, so it might be premature to lay claims to being one of the "best". We didn't intend to offend you.

surfspike
10-05-2002, 06:43 PM
good pass defense....mmmm not forney.

Donkey41
10-07-2002, 01:30 PM
sinton66:
No one said we don't think you have speed. You're missing the point. How will your speed match up with wide-outs and backs out of the bacfield that run 4.2's and 4.3's, and have the ability to snag the ball in full stride and get plenty of run after catch yards? I think what everyone is trying to say is that you haven't really played a top passing team yet, so it might be premature to lay claims to being one of the "best". We didn't intend to offend you.</strong>

When you play 7 to 10 yrds off the line as a corner I really don't think that there is a difference between a 4.2 and a 4.4 in the open field if you think about it... there's not that much diffenence on the track. All I'm saying is that our pass defense is incredibly good.

this is the way we ball
10-07-2002, 02:11 PM
4.2 forty???? Come on... That has to be a misprint.

big daddy russ
10-07-2002, 04:50 PM
didnt dabryon blanton run a 4.3? werent him and that kid out of everman supposed to be the two fastest players in the state?

big daddy russ
10-07-2002, 04:57 PM
hey donkey... rockport-fulton only put up 10 passing yards against aransas pass week one, but it doesnt matter cause r-f ran for 437. at the hs level, defense is all about the whole team. some teams have like 4-2 defenses with 5 db's and some have like 4-4 defenses with 3 db's. a lot of coaches will adapt their defense to suit their personnel. besides, if you cant shut down the whole offense, it wont matter how many yards the other team passes for.

Donkey41
10-07-2002, 05:19 PM
big daddy russ:
hey donkey... rockport-fulton only put up 10 passing yards against aransas pass week one, but it doesnt matter cause r-f ran for 437. at the hs level, defense is all about the whole team. some teams have like 4-2 defenses with 5 db's and some have like 4-4 defenses with 3 db's. a lot of coaches will adapt their defense to suit their personnel. besides, if you cant shut down the whole offense, it wont matter how many yards the other team passes for.I don't care what other defenses run. Two defenses don't go head to head. What the heck is wrong with you people. And yes people do run 4.2 forties. Our QB runs a 4.31 . Answer the question about pass defense and lay off the crap about offense. I just want to know stats. If you can provide me with stats, then cool. If not then I dont' want to hear your crap about WR that run a 4.2

sinton66
10-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Donkey41, I understand what you're saying. The stats you quoted are impressive. I have to ask though, how many of those teams are capable of putting up a 2000 to 3000 yd passing season like a Bridgeport for example? Honestly, if you play 7-10 yds off the corners, a fast running game would make you pay for it. If you run into a very good balanced attack, what will happen? I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for your team, but I don't think the teams you've played really tested you.

Donkey41
10-07-2002, 08:04 PM
sinton66:
Donkey41, I understand what you're saying. The stats you quoted are impressive. I have to ask though, how many of those teams are capable of putting up a 2000 to 3000 yd passing season like a Bridgeport for example? Honestly, if you play 7-10 yds off the corners, a fast running game would make you pay for it. If you run into a very good balanced attack, what will happen? I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for your team, but I don't think the teams you've played really tested you.No I don't think we can shut down Bridgeport or even Sinton. The numbers impressed me and I was just wondering if anyone elses defense has stats like that?

sinton66
10-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Oh, ok, I would guess that Newton should have pretty good stats in that respect also, they have yet to be scored on. I haven't seen any of their game stats, but they've got to be pretty decent too.

varsity54
10-07-2002, 08:14 PM
I'd like to see the team that has all those guys that run the 4.2, 4.3 forties. I thought that those type of teams were in the ncaa or nfl. and donkey does your qb really run a 4.3??? the way i've seen him run, yea he moves good, but i think thats pushing it.

Donkey41
10-07-2002, 08:18 PM
varsity54:
I'd like to see the team that has all those guys that run the 4.2, 4.3 forties. I thought that those type of teams were in the ncaa or nfl. and donkey does your qb really run a 4.3??? the way i've seen him run, yea he moves good, but i think thats pushing it.Yes he runs a 4.31 on the track not the field. He said he runs a 4.4 to 4.5 on the field.

cntryguy35
10-08-2002, 09:11 AM
I am sorry, but don't think stats tell the entire story. If you hold a team to 19 yards passing and they only threw the ball 2 or 3 times is not the same as holding a team to 100 yards passing that threw the ball 30 or 40 times. You must look at who they play. Now If your just looking for someone that can cover 4 wides I think Marlin has proved the last two weeks they are more than capeable of doing a fair job.

Donkey41
10-08-2002, 02:11 PM
cntryguy35:
I am sorry, but don't think stats tell the entire story. If you hold a team to 19 yards passing and they only threw the ball 2 or 3 times is not the same as holding a team to 100 yards passing that threw the ball 30 or 40 times. You must look at who they play. Now If your just looking for someone that can cover 4 wides I think Marlin has proved the last two weeks they are more than capeable of doing a fair job.Ok last week Poteet threw 4 times, however two of those passes were intercepted and the third nearly. That leaves one that they dropped. The rest of the games though with the -17 and 12 yrd games. They ran sweeps that were easily spotted and we drilled them behind the line.

this is the way we ball
10-08-2002, 02:18 PM
La Vernia has a QB that runs a 4.3 forty on the track??? How did he do in track last year? He must have made it to the state track meet.

Tell him good luck in the upcoming Olympics. I look forward to watching him run. :p

Donkey41
10-08-2002, 02:24 PM
this is the way we ball:
La Vernia has a QB that runs a 4.3 forty on the track??? How did he do in track last year? He must have made it to the state track meet.

Tell him good luck in the upcoming Olympics. I look forward to watching him run. :p Actually he did good in track. He got 3rd in the 300 hurdles at regionals. He will go to state this year. He ran the 4.3 this summer. He also runs the mile relay but the team didn't make regionals so that hurt his ability to show people what he can do. But I guaruntee that he will be at state in the 300 hurdles this year.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-08-2002, 02:52 PM
A key to a good defense against the pass is fast linebackers that can stay with a running back and maybe even cover a slot reciever when they spread the offense. If the other team just lines up with 2 wideouts against 4 pass defenders i would like the defense chances of defending the pass, but throw in a spread with linebackers in there and see how much different it is to cover.The great defenses will show up in the playoffs when the competition is much more of a chess game, where coaches look for mismatches. Like last years team offensively when they used the screen play alot to get rb on a linebacker.

<small>[ October 08, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: SintonFan_inAustin ]</small>

Donkey41
10-08-2002, 03:05 PM
SintonFan_inAustin:
A key to a good defense against the pass is fast linebackers that can stay with a running back and maybe even cover a slot reciever when they spread the offense. If the other team just lines up with 2 wideouts against 4 pass defenders i would like the defense chances of defending the pass, but throw in a spread with linebackers in there and see how much different it is to cover.The great defenses will show up in the playoffs when the competition is much more of a chess game, where coaches look for mismatches.
Like last years team offensively when they used the screen play alot to get rb on a linebacker.That's all covered. Our linebackers are fast. Just not 4.5 They probably average a 5 flat. However; we might get a little challenge this week in somerset but I still think we can hold them to about 30 to 40 yrds. passing.