View Full Version : Pat Knight at TTU is fired

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
This is good news

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/27790357

Pat Knight fired
Posted on: March 7, 2011 11:13 am
Edited on: March 7, 2011 11:28

Pat Knight has been fired as coach at Texas Tech, the school just confirmed. Knight will coach through the Big 12 tournament this week.

The son of Bobby could not survive his second losing season in the last three years in Lubbock. Pat took over in 2007-08. His teams never made the NCAA tournament. His 2009-10 team went to the NIT quarterfinals. This season's team is 13-18 heading into Wednesday's first-round Big 12 tournament game against Missouri.

Pat succeeded his father in 2008. Bobby had gone 138-82 in six-plus seasons. He took the Red Raiders to four NCAA tournaments, the last in 2007.

Pat was almost the antithesis of his bullying father. He was humble, articulate and went out of his way to be expansive with reporters. Obviously, one of the names that will come up to replace him is former Texas A&M and Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie.

Pat's firing comes only a few days after Kirby Hocutt was hired as Texas Tech's new athletic director.

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.big12sports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?SPSID=106110&SPID=13134&DB_OEM_ID=10410&catid=0

Teleconference if you wan't to listen

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
The replacement that is swirling in the rumor mill is Billy Gillispe. I think that would be fine, he did good at UTEP and A&M. I think he would of done well in Kentucky had he had more time. I think he personally made some bad decisions that didn't go over well and he know has a pending suit against KU for breech of contract.

WildTexan972
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
if they hire Billy I will sign on to be his personal driver so he can do this thang and not get in trouble for it......and then he can JUST WIN!!

coach
03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
if they hire Billy I will sign on to be his personal driver so he can do this thang and not get in trouble for it......and then he can JUST WIN!!

About time he was fired. If tech gets Billy Clyde, watchout. This guy can flat-out coach a rebuilding type program.

Yoe_09
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Good move. Gillispie would be a good fit.

coach
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
Good move. Gillispie would be a good fit.

Don't be surprised that Billy goes to tcu

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Tough week for the Knight Family.

Bob get's his wrist slapped for saying Chicken $hi# on TV and his son get's fired a couple of days later:doh:

Matthew328
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
I want Gillespie to go to TCU...but Tech is a good spot for him also

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I want Gillespie to go to TCU...but Tech is a good spot for him also

I think it would be a 50/50. He does have a lot of West Texas ties though in his early years. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. He might of hit the door running :D

1982–1985 Texas State (asst.)
1985–1987 Killeen HS (asst.)
1987–1988 Copperas Cove HS
1988–1990 Canyon HS
1990–1993 Ellison HS
1993-1994 South Plains (asst.)
1994–1997 Baylor (asst.)
1997–2000 Tulsa (asst.)
2000–2002 Illinois (asst.)
2002–2004 UTEP
2004–2007 Texas A&M
2007–2009 Kentucky

lostaussie
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
They got rid of one..............now about that football coach:D

NastySlot
03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I think it would be a 50/50. He does have a lot of West Texas ties though in his early years. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. He might of hit the door running :D

1982–1985 Texas State (asst.)
1985–1987 Killeen HS (asst.)
1987–1988 Copperas Cove HS
1988–1990 Canyon HS
1990–1993 Ellison HS
1993-1994 South Plains (asst.)
1994–1997 Baylor (asst.)
1997–2000 Tulsa (asst.)
2000–2002 Illinois (asst.)
2002–2004 UTEP
2004–2007 Texas A&M
2007–2009 Kentucky

88-90-------------that would be New Braunfels Canyon of the Comal ISD.

coach
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
also runors are saying billy clyde and smu

RoyceTTU
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by coach
also runors are saying billy clyde and smu

I here TCU, havn't heard SMU.

BaseballUmp
03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by coach
About time he was fired. If tech gets Billy Clyde, watchout. This guy can flat-out coach a rebuilding type program.

TT has 6 seniors right now, so it would definitely be a rebuilding year next year.

Not sure if this was in the link or not, but he said that if he didnt make it to the tourney this year, he didnt deserve to have his contract extended

swineflu
03-07-2011, 09:37 PM
We will be rebuilding...without a doubt!

coach
03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by swineflu
We will be rebuilding...without a doubt!

you red raiders are sure are smart.

WildTexan972
03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
TT has 6 seniors right now, so it would definitely be a rebuilding year next year.

Not sure if this was in the link or not, but he said that if he didnt make it to the tourney this year, he didnt deserve to have his contract extended

no....he said with all the seniors this was the year to either get an extention of be fired.....he left open the option to keep him with no contract changes, but luckily they dint do that....

WestTxschwab
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
BCG is a good coach, coached his butt off in CS. But he likes change and being in Lubbock is a huge change from what he is used to. Yes he was in El Paso for a few years but that was a stepping stone, I dont think he is at a stage in his career where he is looking for a stepping stone. I spoke with him back when Acie Law played for the aggies when they played in Lubbock. It was right before the game and the buses pulled up and he lead the team off the bus and there was a small crowd yelling for the Ags and I said, " Coach, you ready to beat Tech?" and he said, " Oh yeah, I can't wait to get out of here." I gathered from that statement he was not to fond of lubbock. I think he will go to TCU or Arkansas in the SEC. I just don't see him wanting to coach against Bill Self(friend), or having to visit College Station every year. I think he would like a fresh start, that's why I think TCU is the place to be for BCG. Great recruiting hotbed, great new conference affiliation, a great tv market, and won't have to visit any of his old schools.

WestTxschwab
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
and while I am at it.....

I will say that I think Coach Knight did a good job considering the talent he had to work with. It's a fact, that big time recruits don't go to Tech for basketball. They do have some good players but these have tended to develop while they are in school. They are competitive but he just didn't have the talent or fanbase to succeed. I went to this years game in Lubbock and I took 11 people with me, all AGS. I was able to sit 11th row up from the court and next to about 10 other Ags. It was that empty! Nobody from Tech was there. No support from your peers has to drag on you as a coach and as a player. It was a good game too!

BaseballUmp
03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
no....he said with all the seniors this was the year to either get an extention of be fired.....he left open the option to keep him with no contract changes, but luckily they dint do that....

"At the beginning of the season, with six seniors on his squad, Knight said he didn't deserve a contract extension if he did not get the team to the NCAA tournament."

Sooooooo I mean...

WestTxschwab
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Singletary was a bust this year IMO

WildTexan972
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
"At the beginning of the season, with six seniors on his squad, Knight said he didn't deserve a contract extension if he did not get the team to the NCAA tournament."

Sooooooo I mean...

right....which means he left open the option of keepin his job for the last year of the contract....

WildTexan972
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by WestTxschwab
and while I am at it.....

I will say that I think Coach Knight did a good job considering the talent he had to work with. It's a fact, that big time recruits don't go to Tech for basketball. They do have some good players but these have tended to develop while they are in school. They are competitive but he just didn't have the talent or fanbase to succeed. I went to this years game in Lubbock and I took 11 people with me, all AGS. I was able to sit 11th row up from the court and next to about 10 other Ags. It was that empty! Nobody from Tech was there. No support from your peers has to drag on you as a coach and as a player. It was a good game too!

he dint have the talent (due to crappy recruiting) or the fanbase (his daddy was almost packing the place then lil boy gets gifted the job and stinks the joint up and thus no one pays to go see a SORRY program) was obvious....if they hire a REAL coach and not the son of the legend, then the fans will go back.....

RoyceTTU
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
he dint have the talent (due to crappy recruiting) or the fanbase (his daddy was almost packing the place then lil boy gets gifted the job and stinks the joint up and thus no one pays to go see a SORRY program) was obvious....if they hire a REAL coach and not the son of the legend, then the fans will go back.....

chicken and the egg scenario. What comes first "sorry fan base" or "losing games"

WestTxschwab
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Good point. I would like to see them give somebody from Texas a shot, this sounds wierd but my high school basketball coach was Doug Davalos. He left to go coach at Sul Ross State University and was very successful. He then was hired at Texas State in San Marcos and is currently there. I am not sure how he is doing there but he has the coaching heritage, his father was involved somewhere in athletics, he has ties(we got to work out in "THE PIT" a few years in New Mexico, he knows Texas and knows West Texas. He won alot of games with Texas kids. I know that this is a long shot but what the hey, he is a good young coach who is just needing a chance. The tech fanbase has been a rowdy bunch in the past to say the least, hope they get a good energetic coach to bring em back. Read his Bio, he might be a name that needs to be thought of.....click on the link below.

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=179

RoyceTTU
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
JasonKingYahoo Pat Knight just endorsed Billy Gillispie for his old job at Texas Tech. I REALLY hope Knight gets hired somewhere soon. Great, great man.

Read into it what you want, but I would be willing to bet Tech has made an offer and BCG reached out to Pat to quiz him about the job.

WestTxschwab
03-10-2011, 01:35 PM
from yardbarker.com

From every source we’ve talked to it seems like Texas Tech and Gillispie would be a perfect marriage. A huge part of what went wrong for the coach in Kentucky was the fact that he wasn’t accustomed to, nor built for being in the spotlight. He just wanted to be a basketball coach, not a local celebrity. He would probably be able to live the life he wants in Lubbock.

Besides that, Gillispie was born in Abilene and grew up in Graford, Texas a very small town west of Fort Worth. He also attended Sam Houston State.

The question for Texas Tech is whether they believe the 51-year-old Gillispie is past his well publicized problems with alcohol. In 1999 and again 2003 he was arrested for driving drunk. In the 1999 case he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and the 2003 charge was dropped due to a lack of evidence. But on August 27, 2009 Gillispie was once again caught and charged with a DUI, to which he pleaded guilty as part of a plea agreement. In September 2009 he checked himself into an alcohol rehabilitation program.

If the brass at Texas Tech can be convinced that is all behind him now, we wouldn’t be surprised if Gillispie is named the head coach as soon as the Red Raiders’ season ends.

The raiders are starting to look at ex-aggies to get thier programs back on track...

WestTxschwab
03-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Nebraska's Doc Sadler too...

sadler denies tech rumors: nebraska coach doc sadler, a former tech assistant, sought to defuse rumors about possibly replacing pat knight.“There is absolutely no truth to me having any interest in Texas Tech,’’ Sadler told the Omaha World-Herald. He said would only listen to any Tech overtures after a talk with Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne.

http://www.dallasnews.com/spor...tech-rumors.ece