PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Family Foods

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
During the last few years we have explored many different types of cuisine, including Mexican, Italian, fast-food, etc.
Are there any of you out there who enjoy other types of food and good restaurants that serve it which might be interesting. I am particuliarly interested if your ethnicity or ancestry has given you an understanding or appreciation for a certain type of food---for example, you might come from a Jewish family which prepared food germain to that heritage, and you could tell us about it. You might have grown up in another state, or area of Texas where the food was indigenous to that state or region. We covered traditional Mexican food pretty well in another thread, but if you want to repeat some that info, that's fine.

My mother used to make the best hot-water corn bread around.

My dad used to be the best fish fryer. He put the fish, yellow corn meal, lots of salt and pepper in a paper bag and shook it up several times, pulled the fish out and dropped into some 360-375deg oil---unbelievably good---especially when done right after the fish are caught.

Tell me about some of your family's foods you have enjoyed over the years---

DavidWooderson
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I love ANYTHING my grandmother (mom's mom) makes, but her two specialties that I love are her Pancakes and her Cornbread Dressing. I always ask why do we only get the Dressing once a year? I could eat that stuff any day of the week. And being a Texan, I think we all know the difference between Dressing and Stuffing and most would agree that Dressing is better than Stuffing.

My mom on the other hand, is a great cook as well, but her best is her spaghetti, love it.

My cooking expertise is limited to Pop Tarts but I think I do a good job on them.

Rabid Cougar
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatos and green beans
Tried and True!

DDBooger
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
My mom's carne guisada and arroz are like cocaine to Charlie Sheen. Awesome. Only you go into a coma after, not a crazy 3 day rant. :D

Blastoderm55
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
My grandma's chicken and rice with beans and extra toasty tortillas. Yum yum yum.

Old LB
03-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Allsups burrito and a Dr. Pepper. :thumbsup:

bobcat1
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
My Mom's and my Wife's fried chicken! I want that to be my last meal. I have never had chicken I liked anywhere else as good as either of their's.

My Dad cooked a mean steak and hamburgers outside. I believe I have bested him in that though. I have yet to eat a steak anywhere else as good as mine.

I also cooked the best BBQ Chicken you ever wrapped your lips around. (Secret is Mesquite wood.)

lostaussie
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I could whip you up some Kangaroo and dumplings or maybe some curried koala:D

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie

Crikey! If you really do have some Aboriginal or Aussie roots---tell us a lot about some of their foods, mate....

Gsquared
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Dang, bet you eat dead skunk off the road but atleast you only eat skunk that came off the shoulder of the road.

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Dang, bet you eat dead skunk off the road but atleast you only eat skunk that came off the shoulder of the road.

You gotta be quick to get to it first in East Texas, G2.....:D

Old LB
03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
My mom makes what we refer to as goulash, she has a skillet that belonged to my great grandma, best stuff you'll ever eat. I told my wife she should call mom and try to learn how she makes it, she didn't really like my suggestion.:confused:

RoyceTTU
03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Mom's apple pie and meatloaf

Wife's chicken and dumplings :clap:

RoyceTTU
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
My mom makes what we refer to as goulash, she has a skillet that belonged to my great grandma, best stuff you'll ever eat. I told my wife she should call mom and try to learn how she makes it, she didn't really like my suggestion.:confused:

Growing up we knew when we were getting low on food. Mom would cook goulash. Just pile stuff in with noodles until you have a meal :D

lostaussie
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Crikey! If you really do have some Aboriginal or Aussie roots---tell us a lot about some of their foods, mate.... I got much Aussie roots................you should hear my Mom talk..................she ain't from around here:D

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I got much Aussie roots................you should hear my Mom talk..................she ain't from around here:D

What else they eat down under besides shrimp on the barbie?
Vegemite sandwich?

lostaussie
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Vegemite sandwich? I have eaten lots of vegemite, and i am quite sure there is a jar at mom's house right now:D

lostaussie
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Vegemite sandwich? that shrimp on the barbie thing is just some good old U.S. advertising:D

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 04:25 PM
that shrimp on the barbie thing is just some good old U.S. advertising:D

Is "Skippy" really good to eat?

lostaussie
03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Is "Skippy" really good to eat? If you are referring to vegemite.............it is definately an aquired taste. I guess it's all in what you grow up with.

44INAROW
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
My grandma's chicken and rice with beans and extra toasty tortillas. Yum yum yum.
dang, that sounds good............

Bullaholic
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
If you are referring to vegemite.............it is definately an aquired taste. I guess it's all in what you grow up with.

lol--I heard that vegemite was known kinda as the Australian peanut butter, but I was actually referring to your original post talking about eating roo---isn't "Skippy" the aussie slang for a kangaroo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8

PPHSfan
03-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
Allsups burrito and a Dr. Pepper. :thumbsup:

You poor deprived soul.
Unless if course you're high at the time.

sotex
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
My wife's carne guisada with fresh homemade tortillas. I could eat that every day and not get tired of it.

Old Dog
03-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Chicken fried venison backstrap !!!!!

waterboy
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Homemade raisin pie, coconut cream pie, and chocolate pie, all made from scratch! Our family is also known for chicken fried steak and country gravy, creamy mashed potatoes, turnip greens, and dressing, all the best I ever tasted.:inlove:

STANG RED
03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Chicken fried venison backstrap !!!!!

I'll second that!!! Mom used to soak it for a day in buttermilk first, then fry it up with her fried chicken recipe. It was always amazing. Never could get enough of it.
She always fried it up in a big ol black iron skillet, with a big scoop or two of Cisco. Im sure it wast real healthy for us, but dang was it great eating.
Mom starting cooking a lot healthier seveal years ago, which is a good thing, but I sure do miss all that great stuff she used to make. I dont know what it was about frying in crisco, in a big old black iron skillet, but it somehow makes everything taste the best.