PDA

View Full Version : Westoboro Wins Supreme Court Decision

Bullaholic
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Today the SCOTUS ruled in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church's right to demonstrate at funerals. This ruling may be correct according to our present Constitutional Free-Speech Rights, but I think it will be received as a very unpopular and unfortunate ruling by most Americans,and a very sad day indeed for grieving families.

Westboro SCOTUS Ruling (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/index.html?hpt=C1)

bobcat1
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
There needs to be a provision put in the 1st Ammendment for people like these idiots.:mad:

Bullaholic
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
There needs to be a provision put in the 1st Ammendment for people like these idiots.:mad:

I think that will be a distinct possibility, bob. I would not want to be any elected official who goes on record for voting against such a proposed Amendment, if it comes to pass.

Another possible course of action will be for private groups like the Patriot Guard to show up at Westboro demonstrations with 10-15ft. high pole-mounted portable cloth or other material barriers to effectively obscure the Westboro demonstators from view by grieving familes.

bobcat1
03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
They need something stuffed in their pieholes!

navscanmaster
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
They need something stuffed in their pieholes!

They are not a very large "church" nor do they have very many followers. One patriot missile should do the trick.

j/k, don't call the feds on me.:D

Phil C
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Today the SCOTUS ruled in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church's right to demonstrate at funerals. This ruling may be correct according to our present Constitutional Free-Speech Rights, but I think it will be received as a very unpopular and unfortunate ruling by most Americans,and a very sad day indeed for grieving families.

Westboro SCOTUS Ruling (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/index.html?hpt=C1)

Bull I admire the Baptist Church but not this one (which probably uses the word Baptist loosely).

AP Panther Fan
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
They are not a very large "church" nor do they have very many followers. One patriot missile should do the trick.

Actually many churches of "The South" have burned for no good reason :thinking:

Charlie47
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Bull I admire the Baptist Church but not this one (which probably uses the word Baptist loosely).

So right, the Handbook of the Denominations in the US, has
located 153 separate denominations calling themselves Baptist.
When you read deeper, there are very few with doctrine anywhere close to the doctrine followed by mainstream Baptists
adhere to.:(

Phil C
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
This church does overstep the bounds of decency.

Phil C
03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
The Supreme Court Justices need to be limited to ten year terms. You have old people in their 70s and 80s making decisions that affect people half their age or less. I can say it now because I am approaching that age group. I resented it when I was a teen and I resent it now.

Charlie47
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This church does overstep the bounds of decency.

Well said, They may win in this court, however they will fail
in the only court that matters!;)

PPHSfan
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
This is what makes The United States the greatest country in the world. Freedom rings. PERIOD. It even trumps popular. God Bless America.

Ernest T Bass
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
This is what makes The United States the greatest country in the world. Freedom rings. PERIOD. It even trumps popular. God Bless America.

This.

garciap77
03-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

:D

Matthew328
03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Don't agree with their stance, but just because its not popular doesn't mean they can't speak their mind. Same thing with the KKK you may not agree with their stance but they are allowed to demonstrate etc.

waterboy
03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Don't agree with their stance, but just because its not popular doesn't mean they can't speak their mind. Same thing with the KKK you may not agree with their stance but they are allowed to demonstrate etc.
I agree. There are going to be groups like this that overstep the bounds of human decency, but unfortunately, they have the same rights as the rest of us. I think somebody other than the government needs to keep these people in check.........like the Patriot Guard, or a similar group. I applaud the Patriot Guard for what they do.:clap:

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

I agree with your statements about America, but I'd have to ask you how much you would be shouting "Let Freedom Ring" at the funeral of one of your loved ones if it was chosen for demonstration by these radicals.

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with your statements about America, but I'd have to ask you how much you would be shouting "Let Freedom Ring" at the funeral of one of your loved ones if it was chosen for demonstration by these radicals.

I'm not sure of the exact words I would use. But if my son that is serving right now protecting their freedom gives his life. Then I would bring shame to his memory if I tried to stop them from exercising it.

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure of the exact words I would use. But if my son that is serving right now protecting their freedom gives his life. Then I would bring shame to his memory if I tried to stop them from exercising it.

First--let me say that I hope none of us ever has to put this to the test at the funeral of one of our loved ones. Thank you for the service of you son---I pray for his safe return.

For me, I think it is far better to lose a little of my freedom rather than lose my humanity.

Black_Magic
03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Don't agree with their stance, but just because its not popular doesn't mean they can't speak their mind. Same thing with the KKK you may not agree with their stance but they are allowed to demonstrate etc. I say let them demonstrate but pass a law stating that demonstrations at Funerals must be at least 1000 feet from the funeral or procession. Let them be idiots from far away. Give them the right of speech but also protects the family from some of the abuse.

STANG RED
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Well said. But it's still a crying shame these idiots do what they do. If I were a father of a serviceman that died in battle, and these morons showed up at the funeral, I'm afraid I'd have to cut loose on them. It may not be right in the eyes of the law, but I know it would make me feel better, and I have no doubt, I'd have tons of support.

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
This solution to this issue comes down to the statement often quoted by my lawyer friends---"If you don't like the system---change it".

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure of the exact words I would use. But if my son that is serving right now protecting their freedom gives his life. Then I would bring shame to his memory if I tried to stop them from exercising it. I assure they could exercise their right as long as I tolerated it but I can also assure you that would not be very long. In that case I would have just as much of a right to object as they did to protest. How far I carried my objection is also my right. If I violate a law doing so then again that is my choice and I would have to suffer the consequences. The shame to a son's memory would be letting these idiots use our laws for their own twisted pleasure.

I doubt very seriously I could stand by and say in a pacifist way, "Ah, it's okay. They have a right to rejoice that my son died". Ain't happening.........

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I will agree to disagree with you. My definition of freedom is just different than yours I guess. I try not to confuse freedom with the moral majority.

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I will agree to disagree with you. My definition of freedom is just different than yours I guess. I try not to confuse freedom with the moral majority. I could give a big rip about moral majority. I know what the womenfolk in my family would think and how it would affect them. It ain't happening.

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not putting anyone else down for taking a stance, nor am I trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just saying how I feel about it. Nothing will change my stance either. I have my own opinions about freedom and they're chiseled in stone.

Charlie47
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
First--let me say that I hope none of us ever has to put this to the test at the funeral of one of our loved ones. Thank you for the service of you son---I pray for his safe return.

For me, I think it is far better to lose a little of my freedom rather than lose my humanity.

Well said!!:clap: ;)

Charlie47
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I assure they could exercise their right as long as I tolerated it but I can also assure you that would not be very long. In that case I would have just as much of a right to object as they did to protest. How far I carried my objection is also my right. If I violate a law doing so then again that is my choice and I would have to suffer the consequences. The shame to a son's memory would be letting these idiots use our laws for their own twisted pleasure.

I doubt very seriously I could stand by and say in a pacifist way, "Ah, it's okay. They have a right to rejoice that my son died". Ain't happening.........

:clap: :clap:

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not putting anyone else down for taking a stance, nor am I trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just saying how I feel about it. Nothing will change my stance either. I have my own opinions about freedom and they're chiseled in stone. :clap: Freedom of speech isn't limited to those we agree with.

JasperDog94

For me, I think it is far better to lose a little of my freedom rather than lose my humanity. Be very careful on this slippery slope. If you are willing to give up some of your freedoms, who gets to make the decision about which freedoms you get to keep and which freedoms you have to give up?

DDBooger
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Be very careful on this slippery slope. If you are willing to give up some of your freedoms, who gets to make the decision about which freedoms you get to keep and which freedoms you have to give up? +1

JasperDog94
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:clap: Freedom of speech isn't limited to those we agree with. Agreed.

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Agreed. Shouldn't the world explode now? :D ;)

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 02:41 PM
This solution to this issue comes down to the statement often quoted by my lawyer friends---"If you don't like the system---change it".

You can't change Freedom Bull. Having a "little freedom" is like being a "little pregnant". Either this is the land of the free, or it isn't. I choose freedom.

JasperDog94
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Shouldn't the world explode now? :D ;) I think this is definitely one of the signs of the end times!:D

nobogey72
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Let me first say that I absolutely hate what this "church" is doing, but at the same time I'm glad they have the freedom to say what they want. Now.... how many of you that feel that these people don't have the right to do what they are doing--- have no problem with the lines of people that confront and protest against people that go into abortion clinics?:thinking: :thinking:

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Let me first say that I absolutely hate what this "church" is doing, but at the same time I'm glad they have the freedom to say what they want. Now.... how many of you that feel that these people don't have the right to do what they are doing--- have no problem with the lines of people that confront and protest against people that go into abortion clinics?:thinking: :thinking: I hate it, but as long as they're non-violent, what can we do? That said, violence has been used to intimidate in those cases. These morons (Westboro) are looking for notoriety and attention so they can bash homosexuality. lol

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
You can't change Freedom Bull. Having a "little freedom" is like being a "little pregnant". Either this is the land of the free, or it isn't. I choose freedom.

I disagree, PPHSFan---history shows that we have changed and amended our definition---yours and mine---of "freedom" many times since our founding. You are embracing an "idea"---I am dealing with a reality evolved over time.

Farmersfan
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
:clap: Freedom of speech isn't limited to those we agree with.

It is with most people on here!

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
It is with most people on here! Is it not? :D

You're referring to the Romo debates, right? lol ;)

Farmersfan
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Is it not? :D

You're referring to the Romo debates, right? lol ;)

When it comes to Romo there is no debate Booger! There is the truth and then there is everybody elses opinion!!!! :D :D

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Be very careful on this slippery slope. If you are willing to give up some of your freedoms, who gets to make the decision about which freedoms you get to keep and which freedoms you have to give up?

Jasper---I've heard the "slippery slope" argument used to death by both sides over the years---IMO, the only persons who need to fear a "slippery slope" are those who refuse to climb back up a "slope" if they fall down it, even though they are able. It's our "slope"--Jasper, and I, for one. will never fear losing control of it to the government regardless of all the "big brother" arguments that can be presented.

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I disagree, PPHSFan---history shows that we have changed and amended our definition---yours and mine---of "freedom" many times since our founding. You are embracing an "idea"---I am dealing with a reality evolved over time. Exactly you used to be able to get high on a coca cola and get opium, smoke hashish and peyote with the Indians. Used to let anyone carry or buy guns. I think we changed. I mean after all women get to vote and question their husband. :D

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
The Civil Rights Act of 1965 changed an entire race of people's former definition of "Freedom".

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
The Civil Rights Act of 1965 changed an entire race of people's former definition of "Freedom". I'm sure that sought to eliminate laws that diminished freedom. Aren't you making the opposite argument, to take freedom, despite us agreeing that the act is heinous.

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure that sought to eliminate laws that diminished freedom. Aren't you making the opposite argument, to take freedom, despite us agreeing that the act is heinous.

No, PPHSFan posted the statement that you can't change "Freedom".

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
No, PPHSFan posted the statement that you can't change "Freedom". ah, okay. So it's about wording. Understood.

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm sure that sought to eliminate laws that diminished freedom. Aren't you making the opposite argument, to take freedom, despite us agreeing that the act is heinous. Maybe in that light they should eliminate the law that says I can't go upside those people's heads. I feel right now my freedoms are being dimished. That would give me freedom. That would mean they can say what they want but I could make it uncomfortable for them to do so without going to jail even though they would still have the right to speak. Then everyone would be free.:D

Farmersfan
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe in that light they should eliminate the law that says I can't go upside those people's heads. I feel right now my freedoms are being dimished. That would give me freedom. That would mean they can say what they want but I could make it uncomfortable for them to do so without going to jail even though they would still have the right to speak. Then everyone would be free.:D

I think I just fell into a time warp and landed in the 3rd grade again!!!!

Just curious, How does someone elses protests violate one of your rights as long as the protest is not violent?

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think I just fell into a time warp and landed in the 3rd grade again!!!!

Just curious, How does someone elses protests violate one of your rights as long as the protest is not violent? It's disturbing my peace. ;) Why do you feel like you are in the 3rd grade? Shouldn't you be arguing with TXB about your love for Romo or something? :p

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I disagree, PPHSFan---history shows that we have changed and amended our definition---yours and mine---of "freedom" many times since our founding. You are embracing an "idea"---I am dealing with a reality evolved over time.

I do my best not to get freedom and rights mixed up as well. Rights may be amended, freedom may not. Free speech is a freedom, not a right.

Now personally, I don't agree with getting riled up over these bozos. That's what gives them strength. We give them power when we acknowledge their presence. It's kind of the same power that the N word and the F word have. They're just words until we as a society give them power by making them taboo.

mwrams
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
So if a hearse accidentally runs over one of these A holes., am I supposed to feel bad or blame the US Supreme Court? As the father of a currently deployed US Soldier I have the right to ask this question. I may just start supporting homosexuals just to piss these idiots off!

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I do my best not to get freedom and rights mixed up as well. Rights may be amended, freedom may not. Free speech is a freedom, not a right.

Now personally, I don't agree with getting riled up over these bozos. That's what gives them strength. We give them power when we acknowledge their presence. It's kind of the same power that the N word and the F word have. They're just words until we as a society give them power by making them taboo.

I don't know if you consider Wiki to be a good reference source, but please note in following the references to "the right of freedom of speech":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

PPHSfan
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
So let me ask you a question. Are you telling me that you're willing to give up your "right" to free speech in order to take their "right" away? I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to be clear on your proposal.

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
So let me ask you a question. Are you telling me that you're willing to give up your "right" to free speech in order to take their "right" away? I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to be clear on your proposal.

No, I'm telling you that my view of freedom is not so intractable as to prevent an amendment to the right of free speech to prevent radicals such as the Westboro Church from demonstrating at funerals in close proximity to grieving families. I don't believe that the amendment of such free speech rights will have anything but a positive effect when targeted at a very specific type of abhorrent behavior that the majority of Americans find reprehensible. If I lose my right to do this---I am fine with it.

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't care what they say as long as it isn't at a fallen soldier's funeral. I take exception to that as any decent American should. I bet someday someone will take exception to their ignorant "speech" and one of those heartless jerks will be seriously hurt or worse.

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't care what they say as long as it isn't at a fallen soldier's funeral. I take exception to that as any decent American should. I bet someday someone will take exception to their ignorant "speech" and one of those heartless jerks will be seriously hurt or worse. Dammit, they're trying to save you from homosexuality. God hates F@GS! :mad:

lol :D

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Dammit, they're trying to save you from homosexuality. God hates F@GS! :mad:

lol :D

LMAO. Boog---You're killin' me.....:D

Hey, Bobcat---lay off the Westboro folks or Boog says we're going to be gay....:D

Blastoderm55
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Kevin Smith's new movie will spoof the WBC.

Red State (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/kevin-smiths-christian-fundamentalist-horror-movie-fuss/story?id=12745670&page=2)

bobcat1
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
LMAO. Boog---You're killin' me.....:D

Hey, Bobcat---lay off the Westboro folks or Boog says we're going to be gay....:D Boogie Boy is just a libby. I found I was a lesbian the other day.:D

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Boogie Boy is just a libby. I found I was a lesbian the other day.:D

Yea,unfortunately, me too---because I like only women...:D