PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks

Farmersfan
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I hardly ever see any talk about the Mavs on here these days.

The Mavs went for their 16th win out of the last 17 games last night against the Sixers and got the victory even though Chandler went out with an injury. The Mavs have beaten every single top 10 team they have played when they were healthy including beating the Spurs in San Antonio. The only reason the Spurs outstanding record has them ahead of the Mavs right now is because the Mavs had a nine game stretch where both Dirk and Caron was out hurt and they went 2-7. Since the return of Dirk the Mavs have the best record in the NBA. The Mavs have the second best road record in the league and overall are right on the tail of having the best record in the entire NBA. They have owned the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, Hornets, Knicks and Rockets this season when they are healthy.

So with all this in place, Why are the Mavs always in the middle of the pack in stories for Sportscenter every night? Last night the Mavs won their 16th out of 17 games by beating a streaking Sixers team and this morning Sportscenter leads off with the Knicks. The Mavs were like the 5th story. The Knicks got about 4 minutes and the Mavs got 45 seconds. The Spurs LOST and they got over 2 minutes. Rick Carlisle was voted coach of the month for February and Sportscenter gave that about 10 seconds. Nobody can tell me there isn't some real biased going on here.

What do you think?

Emerson1
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Mavs never get major air time. ESPN has no reason to show any team other then LA, Miami, Boston and NY.

Txstate06
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Everybody has seen this story before the Mavs come out play well in the regular season then lose badly in the playoffs. That’s why nobody outside of Dallas pays any attention to them. What have they done? They went to the NBA finals got up two games to none then blamed there loses on the officials.

BEAST
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Txstate06
Everybody has seen this story before the Mavs come out play well in the regular season then lose badly in the playoffs. That’s why nobody outside of Dallas pays any attention to them. What have they done? They went to the NBA finals got up two games to none then blamed there loses on the officials.

I agree with you but the officials were really bad in games 3-6.

BEAST

coach
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I agree with you but the officials were really bad in games 3-6.

BEAST

I firmly believe that the NBA had a strong say in that series. They were up 2 games to 0 and the NBA saw this could easily be a sweep so Let's see if we can stretch this out to 6 or 7 games. Dwade got hot and went to the free throw line way too many times. The better team lost that series but it's history now ad dirk and co has had a chip on their shoulder ever since. Not to mention dirk has never had this much talent in one team. Ppl say he can't win in the playoffs well hell neither could any otter superstar who didn't have a sidekick. Now dirk has a team around him and watch out bc this team will make some noise this year in the playoffs

DavidWooderson
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Fine by me. Kind of like the Rangers and Giants of last year's baseball season. There's no pressure on them except their own, no one expects them to do anything. Time to prove people wrong.

NastySlot
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
Time to prove people wrong.

yeah..........no matter how long it takes......prove us wrong.

waterboy
03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't it be fitting if the Mavericks play the Heat in the finals again?;) That's a strong possibility this season.

If the Mavericks can avoid major injuries I think they have a very good chance to do just that. This is a different team than in the past. They are bigger, faster, more athletic, and tougher both mentally and physically. The proof will be in the playoffs, however. Let's just say I'm more confident about their chances this year than ever before.:D

Farmersfan
03-02-2011, 02:09 PM

The fact that D. Wade shot more free throws by himself than the entire Mavs team tells the story of that deciding game! Enough said!
This is a different Mavs team. They finally have a strong big man in Chandler and a couple of backups that can give them toughness in the middle. This team scores the majority of their points in the paint as opposed to outside shots like in the past. I don't like the direction that Dirk has taken his game but it seems to be working for the team. They have dominated the Lakers, Celtics and Heat so far this season and would have beaten the
Spurs in every game if they had not been shorthanded. We might see the same ole' Mavs come playoff time but i expect some different results. But realistically there are about 6 teams in the NBA that you could say the exact same thing about that you are saying about the Mavs. If you don't win a title then aren't you losing in the playoffs? That would include every team except the Champions.

Trench Warrior
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
How would you rank the west right now?

waterboy
03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior
Take the top eight teams in each conference and I say the West, top to bottom, is a little better, but not by much. By the same token, I think the top 2 teams in the West are better than the top 2 teams in the East. That's just my opinion, of course.:D

crzyjournalist03
03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Farmersfan
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Dispite the better record for the Spurs I put the Mavs ahead of the Spurs because when both teams were healthy the Mavs beat the Spurs in San Antonio. The 5 game lead the Spurs have on the Mavs were the result of 2 starters being injured. The Spurs have not lost a single starter for more than 1 game so far this season. (until now. Tony Parker is out possibly 4 weeks). I think the Mavs will more than make up the 5 game lead if Chandler isn't out any more than the predicted 2 games. I also think age must effect the Spurs at some point. I believe they will drop at least 3 spots before the start of the playoffs.

1. Mavs
2. Lakers
3. Spurs
4. OK City
5. Portland (now that Denver traded Anthony & Billups)
6. New Orleans
7. Memphis
8. Phoenix
9. Houston (will now streak into the playoffs)
10. Denver or Utah in the top 10.

Farmersfan
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry! Only top 8 make the playoffs. Not the top 10. Sorry houston.

waterboy
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Right now is the time for the Mavericks to make up that 5-game deficit in the standings against the Spurs. The Spurs will definitely miss Tony Parker over the 2 to 4 weeks he will be out. I think it will come down to the last week of the regular season for spots 1 through 3 in the Western Conference.

Emerson1
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Will be interesting to see how the Spurs respond with Parker out. They have played a total of ONE game the entire season with a different starting lineup. I think it was a game Manu was out. Other then that their starters have been 100% healthy. Might not be a good thing, Dirk had a 9 game rest midway through the season when they were being cautious with the knee.

Saggy Aggie
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Mavs never get major air time. ESPN has no reason to show any team other then LA, Miami, Boston and NY. Isn't there an entire ESPN website called ESPN Dallas?

Emerson1
03-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Isn't there an entire ESPN website called ESPN Dallas?
Mmmmm yes.

I said AIRTIME. That is a WEBSITE. ESPN has no reason to commit TV time to them. They don't have a huge fan base like the Cowboys do.

SintonFan
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I also think age must effect the Spurs at some point. I believe they will drop at least 3 spots before the start of the playoffs.

lol
You have no clue.

San Antonio is younger than the Mavs...:nerd:

Saggy Aggie
03-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Mmmmm yes.

I said AIRTIME. That is a WEBSITE. ESPN has no reason to commit TV time to them. They don't have a huge fan base like the Cowboys do. Alright, but they do have an entire branch website dedicated to the city of Dallas. Just checking...

TheDOCTORdre
03-02-2011, 07:37 PM
if Perkins stays healthy, OKC will give everybody fits, I think that LA, SA, and Dallas better be careful

SintonFan
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
if Perkins stays healthy, OKC will give everybody fits, I think that LA, SA, and Dallas better be careful

They look scary sometimes.

Memphis is long and athletic.

Better Dre?:D

TheDOCTORdre
03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan

Memphis is long and fast.

thats what she said

Emerson1
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Alright, but they do have an entire branch website dedicated to the city of Dallas. Just checking...
Ok. I never said they didn't.

Dallas is a huge market. They have a dedicated website for all of the big markets.

That doesn't change the fact the mavericks get 0 air time because they don't have a national fanbase.

DavidWooderson
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but I think the Mavs have played on ESPN 3 times, TNT 3 times and ABC weekend spotlight game twice. All games but one have been against Miami, Boston, LA and San Antonio...the other was against the Suns on the Thursday night before the All-Star break and was only one of two games that night.

Yes, Dallas is a Big 4 market, BUT that is basically Cowboys centric. The Mavs, Rangers and Stars barely get any national attention.

But it's fine, I'm good with it. Ready for playoffs.....Go Mavs!

SintonFan
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
lol
You have no clue.

San Antonio is younger than the Mavs...:nerd:

Ok, let me change that to...

San Antonio has become much more young.

Didn't mean to demean you, FF.:nerd:

Farmersfan
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok, let me change that to...

San Antonio has become much more young.

Didn't mean to demean you, FF.:nerd:

At some point the Spurs will suffer from a run of injuries. With the age of the big producers for that team the lack of injuries so far this season has been a huge advantage. They have done a great job bringing in bench players and will certainly make some noise come playoff time and with Duncan, Parker and Mano healthy they have enough experience to get it done again. But I like the toughness of these new Mavs players and barring a referee take over of a series again like in 06' I see the Mavs making a good run in the playoffs. Of course just like almost every team a injury to the wrong person could sink them early. The loss of Caron Butler's 20 points a game will be huge in the playoffs.......
Peja is a joke and has been a joke for years!

Emerson1
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't think Butler was as big of a loss as originally thought(at least I hope). He took a lot of jump shots and could have gone on a bad streak at any time like Terry. Although it won't hurt if he can make it back by the playoffs which they are saying could happen.

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Ok. I never said they didn't.

Dallas is a huge market. They have a dedicated website for all of the big markets.

That doesn't change the fact the mavericks get 0 air time because they don't have a national fanbase.

maybe the mavs and other dallas teams can lobby for an ESPNDAL network..........it work some college team in Texas.

waterboy
03-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I think the addition of Peja was huge, especially after Caron went down. Although he hasn't been a consistent scorer as of yet for the Mavs, he is another threat that they need when it comes to the big shot. The depth of the Mav bench is the most impressive change from years past. The Mavs definitely have the deepest bench in the league, in my opinion, which can be huge in the playoffs.

Maroon87
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
But I like the toughness of these new Mavs players and barring a referee take over of a series again like in 06' I see the Mavs making a good run in the playoffs.

Well there you have it...only the refs can beat the Mavs. Just like every year.

Emerson1
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Well there you have it...only the refs can beat the Mavs. Just like every year.
Only 06. And everyone outside of Houston and San Antonio fans all agree.

Txstate06
03-03-2011, 11:02 AM
So what I’m getting from this thread is that the Mavs are the best team in the league, with no championships. The only people who can bet them are the NBA and the officials. The Spurs are the worst team with the best record in the league, with 4 championships. Do I have this right? Some days I wish Mavs fans would just listen to themselves talk.

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
So what I’m getting from this thread is that the Mavs are the best team in the league, with no championships. The only people who can bet them are the NBA and the officials. The Spurs are the worst team with the best record in the league, with 4 championships. Do I have this right? Some days I wish Mavs fans would just listen to themselves talk.

you have to understand....they re from Dallas.........they tend to be full of themselves............spent 18 years of my life there.

waterboy
03-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Only 06. And everyone outside of Houston and San Antonio fans all agree.
Absolutely NO doubt the refs had a hand in the outcome of that series. Only somebody who didn't watch the series thinks any different. Whether it was intentional or not, it was a horribly officiated Finals in '06. No excuses, though, this is a new year. Hopefully that is behind us now, and if the Mavs make it back it'll be officiated better. Actually, I don't see how the officiating could be any worse than it was then.

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Absolutely NO doubt the refs had a hand in the outcome of that series. Only somebody who didn't watch the series thinks any different. Whether it was intentional or not, it was a horribly officiated Finals in '06. No excuses, though, this is a new year. Hopefully that is behind us now, and if the Mavs make it back it'll be officiated better. Actually, I don't see how the officiating could be any worse than it was then.

really maybe there should be an investagation

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
By Mike Monroe
mikemonroe@express-news.net

CLEVELAND — With their 109-99 victory over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, the Spurs secured their 12th consecutive 50-win season and joined an exclusive club.

In NBA history, only the Los Angeles Lakers have a similar record of consecutive excellence, winning at least 50 each season from 1979-80 through the 1990-91 season.

The Spurs started their streak when they won 53 games in 1999-2000. The 1998-99 season that produced the team’s first NBA title was shortened to 50 games by a labor dispute that wiped out the first two-and-a-half months of the season. The Spurs went 37-13 in the truncated season, a .740 winning percentage that would produce 60 victories in an 82-game season.

“It’s obvious that it starts with having good players, quality players and management and ownership that have good continuity and everybody being on the same page,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, on the bench since early in the 1996-97 season, said of the streak. “Over time, if that’s in place, you can make good decisions.

“Being fortunate is a part of it, too. If you can draft Tim Duncan after David Robinson, that’s a pretty good stroke of luck.”

Duncan is the only Spurs player who has been around throughout the streak.

“I think what this streak says is that Tim Duncan is a pretty good player,” Matt Bonner said.

some reading for you mavs fans.............the quote in the middle that starts out with "It's obvious....." IDK maybe that might help help out the Maverick organization.....IDK.

waterboy
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Nope. They have NOT been the best team in the league in the past, as witnessed by their lack of championships, but over the last ten seasons or so they are the best team that HASN'T won a championship. The best team any given season is the one that wins the championship that year, but even an outsider can admit the officiating was horrible in the '06 Finals. Did you even watch them? I don't know whether the officials just had a bad series, or whether they just didn't want Mark Cuban to win. Either way the series was extremely poorly officiated. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. That has absolutely NO bearing on this year, though. I'd be willing to bet the Mavericks will beat the Spurs in a series this year IF they meet assuming both teams are at full strength. We wouldn't want any excuses from either side....:D

waterboy
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
really maybe there should be an investagation .
Won't happen. As obviously bad as the officiating was, there is no proof of any collusion by the officials. Maybe they just had a bad series. Either way, it was horribly officiated, and is behind us now. Time to move on.;)

Txstate06
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Nope. They have NOT been the best team in the league in the past, as witnessed by their lack of championships, but over the last ten seasons or so they are the best team that HASN'T won a championship. The best team any given season is the one that wins the championship that year, but even an outsider can admit the officiating was horrible in the '06 Finals. Did you even watch them? I don't know whether the officials just had a bad series, or whether they just didn't want Mark Cuban to win. Either way the series was extremely poorly officiated. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. That has absolutely NO bearing on this year, though. I'd be willing to bet the Mavericks will beat the Spurs in a series this year IF they meet assuming both teams are at full strength. We wouldn't want any excuses from either side....:D

That is exactly why the Mavs will never be a top tear NBA team they are just happy beating the Spurs. They consider it a successful year if the beat the Spurs in the playoffs/ regular season. The Spurs consider it successful if win a championship.

DavidWooderson
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
LOL the funny thing is at least we're talking Mavs......10 consecutive 50 win seasons, trips to the playoffs and having the pleasure to watch one two future first ballot hall of famers (Dirk & Kidd).............could be like it was in the 90s and you couldn't name 3 of the 15 players on the team and were winning less than 20 games a year, now they could start their bench and still win ball games.

forum_guy
03-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Even with the spurs brilliant record they are destined to fail in the playoffs. Their size is not what is needed to win a championship. They remind me of a 60 win Mavs team from years past who relies to much on shooting the jumpshot and that is destined to fail. They are playing good REGULAR SEASON ball. The Lakers size will once again carry them to the Western Conference Finals and if they are matched up with the Spurs expect the same results. Tim Duncan didn't deserve to make the all star team much less start. Blair is a 6'8" undersized center. I give the Mavs a better chance to win the west than the spurs.

waterboy
03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
That is exactly why the Mavs will never be a top tear NBA team they are just happy beating the Spurs. They consider it a successful year if the beat the Spurs in the playoffs/ regular season. The Spurs consider it successful if win a championship.
There is probably a smidgeon of truth in that, or at least it seems that way sometimes.:( Until the Mavs win a championship they will always be considered underachievers. There have been at least a couple of the past teams that should've competed much better. I think this year may be different. At least that's what I'm counting on.:thinking: This team is a lot different from past teams, too. They have more size, speed, athleticism, toughness, and a deeper bench than any team in the past. We'll have to wait 'til the playoffs to really see if that translates to a chance to win it all.

crzyjournalist03
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
LOL the funny thing is at least we're talking Mavs......10 consecutive 50 win seasons, trips to the playoffs and having the pleasure to watch one two future first ballot hall of famers (Dirk & Kidd).............could be like it was in the 90s and you couldn't name 3 of the 15 players on the team and were winning less than 20 games a year, now they could start their bench and still win ball games.

3 J's!!!!

Jamal Mashburn, Jimmy Jackson, and Jason Kidd!!!

waterboy
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
3 J's!!!!

Jamal Mashburn, Jimmy Jackson, and Jason Kidd!!!
Roy Tarpley, Lucious Harris, Popeye Jones, Donald Hodge, Scott Brooks, George McCloud, Morlon Wiley, Lorenzo Williams, Doug Smith, and Tony Dumas...:D

Maroon87
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6200741

coach
03-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Reading the post make me laugh. Y'all are clueless