PDA

View Full Version : Possible another major recruiting violation

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/01/cowherd-major-program-to-be-outed-for-major-recruiting-violations/

Any idea of who this might be?

My first guess is Tennesse but who knows.

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Rumors are saying it is Oregon and is directly related to the recruiting of LaMichael James :eek:

If I remember correctly LJ was a TCU lock and was flipped at the last minute.:thinking:

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
there just tweets, but it could paint a reasonable picture.

@SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

Mult. ESPN sources have now verified to me Cowherd was referencing Oregon as school to be 'outed very soon for major recruiting violations'
1 hour ago

@JeremySBN Jeremy Mauss

Oregon allegedly being busted w/major recruiting violations about LaMichael James and/or Lache Seastrunk. rumor says SI to have story Wed.
11 hours ago

Just tweeted from SportsbyBrooks

SportsbyBrooks- TCU football fans are in for a pleasant surprise tomorrow. All I can say.

BEAST
03-02-2011, 11:56 AM
What good would do for TCU? Referencing the "Pleasant Surprise" comment.

BEAST

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Revenge if anything. The fact that LJ was stole from them and now O will get hit with violations the way they made it happen.

navscanmaster
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Seastrunk and others. Has to do with their "player representative/street agent" who is one of the Texas foot soldiers.

Black_Magic
03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST It means you cheated us and cheated the NCAA and now you got caught. I say hammer them !

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm interested to see what happens here IF this mystery program is proven guilty. The NCAA is finally going after the big boys after all those years of letting them slide.

Recently, Bama (quite possibly the dirtiest program in college--and this is coming from an Auburn fan), USC, Oklahoma, and Michigan have been investigated and punished. There doesn't seem to be any more sacrificial lambs, like an SMU, out there. Everyone should be open game.

coach
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm interested to see what happens here IF this mystery program is proven guilty. The NCAA is finally going after the big boys after all those years of letting them slide.

Recently, Bama (quite possibly the dirtiest program in college--and this is coming from an Auburn fan), USC, Oklahoma, and Michigan have been investigated and punished. There doesn't seem to be any more sacrificial lambs, like an SMU, out there. Everyone should be open game.

Bama? How much did y'all pay cam again?

JasperDog94
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
...ESPN sources... If ESPN knows anything it knows about recruiting violations involving someone with the last name of James.

navscanmaster
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If ESPN knows anything it knows about recruiting violations involving someone with the last name of James.

Yep. As for Oregon, it is funny how when you follow recruiting as I do, you watch a talented kid go from early attention from in state programs like A&M, Baylor, and TCU, to all of a sudden being an Oregon lean without even making a visit.

DavidWooderson
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
LJ was on The Ticket not to long ago at the Doak Walker ceremony and told them the reason he went to Oregon was because he wanted a total change of scenery. BUT that he was very very close to going to TCU. $$$$ would want to make me change my scenetery.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by coach
Bama? How much did y'all pay cam again?
Not enough to overcome years of cheating swept under the rug by a dead Bear.

JasperDog94
03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Not enough to overcome years of cheating swept under the rug by a dead Bear. :1popcorn: :1popcorn:

Matthew328
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
My sources are saying its Oregon and their dealings with Will Lyles and Baron Flenory. We'll see what happens with it.

Matthew328
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/02/10/aau-football-7-on-7/index.html

Here's some background info

Matthew328
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
More Info

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/10/street-agents-in-texas-some-new-competition-for-will-lyles/

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I might be wrong, but i would think, at some point the NCAA is going to get tired of chasing their tails and being rousted for being so spineless and their answer will be the modern version of "the death sentence".

I give it no-later than 18 months, and you will see a large school have their sports dept destroyed by sanctions.

It might be sooner than later.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I might be wrong, but i would think, at some point the NCAA is going to get tired of chasing their tails and being rousted for being so spineless and their answer will be the modern version of "the death sentence".

I give it no-later than 18 months, and you will see a large school have their sports dept destroyed by sanctions.

It might be sooner than later.
Seems like the big boys are getting tagged more often nowadays. It's always been a problem, but now that social media is all over the place and amateur journalists are in every back yard, this corruption is being exposed for what it is.

Would OU have ever been tagged on the Bomar scandal 30 years ago? How about a Reggie Bush-type situation at USC back in 1960?

I like the fact that this stuff is no longer swept under the rug and the NCAA is being forced to investigate infractions by people outside of the college football hierarchy.

RoyceTTU
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Seems like the big boys are getting tagged more often nowadays. It's always been a problem, but now that social media is all over the place and amateur journalists are in every back yard, this corruption is being exposed for what it is.

Would OU have ever been tagged on the Bomar scandal 30 years ago? How about a Reggie Bush-type situation at USC back in 1960?

I like the fact that this stuff is no longer swept under the rug and the NCAA is being forced to investigate infractions by people outside of the college football hierarchy.

I agree. but I also think some of their penalties are very weak.

Some schools have learned that it pays to cheat. If auburn is found guilty of spending 200,000 to get Newton to play for them and their BCS payout was 17,000,000. Auburn isn't going to have to give back that 17,000,000.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree. but I also think some of their penalties are very weak.

Some schools have learned that it pays to cheat. If auburn is found guilty of spending 200,000 to get Newton to play for them and their BCS payout was 17,000,000. Auburn isn't going to have to give back that 17,000,000.
Unfortunately, you're right. And I'm saying this as an Auburn fan.

I think the NCAA needs to discourage these things not by taking away past accomplishments (is there anyone out there who DOESN'T think of USC as the 2004 BCS National Champs?), but by limiting the program going forward. If we're found to have shelled out nearly $200k for Cam, severely cutting scholarships and postseason money for more than four years would discourage prospects from coming to the program and cripple future athletic income. It's going to take something along those lines to topple a booster as influential as Bobby Lowder (el jefe for the Auburn boosters going all the way back to the scandals during the Pat Dye era).

Sad thing is, Lowder learned to do business this way from the folks over in Tuscaloosa. Auburn decided that if they can't beat them, join them. We've just been more stupid about it.

All the programs need to be looked into. Nebraska, Bama, Texas, AUBURN, all of them. They need to know that the NCAA has power and has finally got to the point where they fear the loss of integrity more than the loss of revenue.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/02/10/aau-football-7-on-7/index.html

Here's some background info

More Info

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/10/street-agents-in-texas-some-new-competition-for-will-lyles/
Awesome info!

NastySlot
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
ok not enough time to read..........but i've wondered if eventually (in hoops now maybe football)....all these aau sponsered teams by nike, ua or addias......could tie up kids to universities with the same contracts.

and again haven't read (lack of time) but have the kids and the families received money ....or just maybe the "street agents?"

plan on reading after practice....but appreciate a condensed versions...if anyone has them.

Phil C
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTFTTNL9kg&feature=related

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
ok not enough time to read..........but i've wondered if eventually (in hoops now maybe football)....all these aau sponsered teams by nike, ua or addias......could tie up kids to universities with the same contracts.

and again haven't read (lack of time) but have the kids and the families received money ....or just maybe the "street agents?"

plan on reading after practice....but appreciate a condensed versions...if anyone has them.
One of the articles said this exact thing, that these AAU-type football programs and camps could funnel money to kids from universities.

DavidWooderson
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
You know for one the NCAA isn't going to admit that there is a problem because if you want to talk about corrupt.....that is the NCAA.

I don't think there will ever be another death penalty handed down, but maybe a few hard sentences.

The big boys do all of the under the table stuff to get the players. It forces schools like Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Boise, West Viriginia, Mizzou, etc who are trying to keep up with the big boys do the same thing but BIGGER and that is what cripples schools like North Texas, New Mexico, etc because they can't ever get out of the bottom because they don't have the money too do anything to get up to that mid-tier level.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
You know for one the NCAA isn't going to admit that there is a problem because if you want to talk about corrupt.....that is the NCAA.

I don't think there will ever be another death penalty handed down, but maybe a few hard sentences.

The big boys do all of the under the table stuff to get the players. It forces schools like Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Boise, West Viriginia, Mizzou, etc who are trying to keep up with the big boys do the same thing but BIGGER and that is what cripples schools like North Texas, New Mexico, etc because they can't ever get out of the bottom because they don't have the money too do anything to get up to that mid-tier level.
Spot on.

I don't know if you ever saw the 30 for 30 on SMU football, but it's worth a watch. They got the death penalty for trying to compete with A&M, Texas, and all the big boys at their own game.

Pendragon13
03-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Spot on.

I don't know if you ever saw the 30 for 30 on SMU football, but it's worth a watch. They got the death penalty for trying to compete with A&M, Texas, and all the big boys at their own game. Anyone that was associated with college football during that time period will tell you that many big programs (OU was the worst) were doing similar or even worse things than SMU.

RoyceTTU
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
So I'm stretching a bit, but this scenario seems to be a little closer to grasp than ever.

If Auburn is guilty of paying for Cam,
and
Oregon is guilty of whatever that is speculated

Granted that NCAA seems to not be able to find Auburn guilty(I think this is horse hockey) and who knows if Oregon is the college who will get pinned, but all too often, where there is smoke there is fire.

TCU should be pissed as well as Wisconsin for not being in the BCSNC.:mad: And TCU would of won which would of put the BCS in even more turmoil.:D

Oh, well

Phil C
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/02/27/cfb.crime/index.html?eref=sircrc

Part of this article is irresponsible journalism by Sports Illustrated.
I am going to cancel my subscription.

:mad:

Phil C
03-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, you're right. And I'm saying this as an Auburn fan.

I think the NCAA needs to discourage these things not by taking away past accomplishments (is there anyone out there who DOESN'T think of USC as the 2004 BCS National Champs?), but by limiting the program going forward. If we're found to have shelled out nearly $200k for Cam, severely cutting scholarships and postseason money for more than four years would discourage prospects from coming to the program and cripple future athletic income. It's going to take something along those lines to topple a booster as influential as Bobby Lowder (el jefe for the Auburn boosters going all the way back to the scandals during the Pat Dye era).

Sad thing is, Lowder learned to do business this way from the folks over in Tuscaloosa. Auburn decided that if they can't beat them, join them. We've just been more stupid about it.

All the programs need to be looked into. Nebraska, Bama, Texas, AUBURN, all of them. They need to know that the NCAA has power and has finally got to the point where they fear the loss of integrity more than the loss of revenue.

I agree with big daddy in that all major programs should be checked out. The thing is if wrong doings are found out I don't think the death penalty should ever be given again but they can be hurt. For example limited the schools to 15 annual scholarships would really hurt and I mean a 15 maximum per year an no oversigning or carryovers. This would be done for 3 years. Also no tv or post bowl games would hurt also for those three years.
Also if there is a Cam Newton case in that a family member works with a street agent and even if the school or football player knows then you still lose 4 scholarships a year for three years.

Also if a school appeals and loses then the penalties should be extended for another extra year.
And also punishments should be the same for everyone.

RoyceTTU
03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree with big daddy in that all major programs should be checked out. The thing is if wrong doings are found out I don't think the death penalty should ever be given again but they can be hurt. For example limited the schools to 15 annual scholarships would really hurt and I mean a 15 maximum per year an no oversigning or carryovers. This would be done for 3 years. Also no tv or post bowl games would hurt also for those three years.
Also if there is a Cam Newton case in that a family member works with a street agent and even if the school or football player knows then you still lose 4 scholarships a year for three years.

Also if a school appeals and loses then the penalties should be extended for another extra year.
And also punishments should be the same for everyone.

In the case of USC and possibly Auburn or any school for that matter that is caught after the fact, I think the bowl revenue should have to be repaid even if it is shared amongst that conference.

Bullaholic
03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I going to sing my same old song...

The NCAA needs to change the rules to allow an absolute monetary compensation limit for athletes---and that includes, food, housing, etc. Maybe $50K annually. There should be a "0" tolerance, no exception, death penalty for any institution allowing a player to receive compensation over the limit. The big-university-star athlete compensation situation exists in nearly every major program. Why not make a rule that recognizes reality and be done with it?

WildTexan972
03-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Auburn has a school board member that runs the cash slush fund....don't get much dirtier than that....if you wanna talk some dirty bidness, just say SEC and you have the gist of the problem for the NCAA - their biggest cash cow is dirty cause they know they can be.....and they thrive in that situation...

and if you go see the tiny wrist slaps those programs you listed got, it has NO comparison to the smu death....

WildTexan972
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I going to sing my same old song...

The NCAA needs to change the rules to allow an absolute monetary compensation limit for athletes---and that includes, food, housing, etc. Maybe $50K annually. There should be a "0" tolerance, no exception, death penalty for any institution allowing a player to receive compensation over the limit. The big-university-star athlete compensation situation exists in nearly every major program. Why not make a rule that recognizes reality and be done with it?

you mean ALL players at a school combined for $50k? these kids act like primadonnas, let em be broke like most other college kids are.....work the numbers....the regular STUDENTS at a school bring in millions more $$ than the sports programs do with tuition and fees, yet we don't consider that a group that needs payments.....

Old Tiger
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
I think it may have to do with Lache thand LaMichael.

Old Tiger
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Seastrunk and others. Has to do with their "player representative/street agent" who is one of the Texas foot soldiers. WILL LYLES HOLLA!

Old Tiger
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
A&M in 2-3 years will be busted up because of the Brenham thing.

RoyceTTU
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Oregon signee....

DeAnthony Thomas on Twitter

JUST GOT. OUT OF A MEETING WIT THE NCAA PEOPLE MAN IT FELT LIKE I WAS TALKING TO THE POLICE
about 12 hours ago via Twitter for Android
.TheBlaccster
BABY D.T

:thinking: :thinking:

Old Tiger
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Oregon signee....

DeAnthony Thomas on Twitter

JUST GOT. OUT OF A MEETING WIT THE NCAA PEOPLE MAN IT FELT LIKE I WAS TALKING TO THE POLICE
about 12 hours ago via Twitter for Android
.TheBlaccster
BABY D.T

:thinking: :thinking: Heard he switched from SC to Oregon because of a death threat or something.

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger

whats wrong with brenham kids..........they seem to do alright on the next level...right?..............the horns never had any problems with a brenham kid right (think hard)?

RoyceTTU
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Heard he switched from SC to Oregon because of a death threat or something.

Maybe that is what it's about.

On a side note, I guess you can count him as one of the Oregon players on that SI report about players with criminal records:D

NastySlot
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM

or maybe the Desoto thing or maybe the maybe the Reserve Louisiana thing..............?

hope the ncaa never investigates the Findley prep thing and horn hoops......now you want a story google Findley prep...Las Vegas....you might find a good story there.

big daddy russ
03-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Auburn has a school board member that runs the cash slush fund....don't get much dirtier than that....if you wanna talk some dirty bidness, just say SEC and you have the gist of the problem for the NCAA - their biggest cash cow is dirty cause they know they can be.....and they thrive in that situation...

and if you go see the tiny wrist slaps those programs you listed got, it has NO comparison to the smu death....
I also talked about this. How we (Auburn) were stupid about it. While I don't know all the details, I know we've always been pretty loose with our lips and our cash. Bama's and Texas' ways of doing things were much more streamlined and less noticeable, but Bama's paid off far more players for far more money than we have. We get busted all too often.

On that note, how exactly did Nebraska and Oklahoma build national powers with absolutely no recruiting base? How did Texas maintain their extreme edge in recruiting before scholarship limits? They were recruiting far better than SMU, Rice, or Baylor, and half of those kids knew they'd never step foot on the field.

Simply put, the small programs who got busted (SMU is the most notable) and knocked out were just trying to keep up with the big boys.

So I believe that Bullaholic is exactly right. Give them a set salary anywhere they go. Whether they choose Texas, Florida, or Central Arkansas, every DI-A program has to give them the mandatory head count scholarship plus some monthly cash.

jason
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Give them a set salary anywhere they go. Whether they choose Texas, Florida, or Central Arkansas, every DI-A program has to give them the mandatory head count scholarship plus some monthly cash.

would the payouts be the same for the star qb and the guy who sits the bench on the lacrosse team? or that girl who swims in one event in a swim meet?

big daddy russ
03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
would the payouts be the same for the star qb and the guy who sits the bench on the lacrosse team? or that girl who swims in one event in a swim meet?

...head count scholarship...
Last I checked, lacrosse wasn't a head count sport. But I see what you're trying to do there, so to take this a step further, yes. Pay the stud QB the same as the backup PK as long as they're both scholarship athletes. If they both make $595/mo right this minute, what's the difference in paying them both $20k a year?

Matthew328
03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Looks like Ole 328 was on the money once again and yahoo beat SI to the punch

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=cr-oregon030311

Matthew328
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6179423

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Looks like Ole 328 was on the money once again and yahoo beat SI to the punch

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=cr-oregon030311 Hey Matt, does your magazine have a facebook page? I'd like to get updates from you if you post em.

Matthew328
03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I think TheOldCoach has a facebook page but we really havent utilized it much

DDBooger
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I think TheOldCoach has a facebook page but we really havent utilized it much Could be a good resource for next years edition.

RoyceTTU
03-03-2011, 08:38 PM
My first guess was wrong, but my 2nd was correct, atleast half of it unless James is on the list they havn't released yet.

Matthew328
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Here's a little blurb I posted on orangebloods about this deal:

I'll just say this, I know coaches in DFW are leery of Baron and if you notice his camps etc have very few Texas kids.

He's made no secret he wants to make 7 on 7 into AAU football and that has turned a lot of coaches off and is something I do not agree with in the least. He actually tried to hire me to work for NLA when he left scout and I politely declined.

At a local 7 on 7 in April a head coach of a prominent DFW school came up to me with a now signed Division 1 player and his parents and asked me what I thought about their son going to play in one of Baron's 7 on 7's in Alabama. Basically the rub was Baron was going to take these kids to multiple college campuses en route and then to I believe Alabama for the tournament.

The coach asked me what I thought and I told him I couldn't speak for Baron and his intentions etc but I told him if it was my son I would not let him go. The coach questioned me what Baron had to gain by going out of his way to take these kids by these schools because he was sure he wasn't doing it just to be nice. I told him he'd have to ask Baron that. Needless to say the player in question did not attend.

This is just one example of what we are dealing with, especially in urban areas where there's access to a lot of kids.