PDA

View Full Version : texashsfootball.com QUESTION OF THE WEEK POLL

jason
01-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Ok, this is the texashsfootball.com question of the week and we wanted to see what you guys here on the DownLow thought about the subject.

In recent years, the use of supplements, enhancers, creatine, weight gainers and other things has been on the rise among professional, collegiate and high school athletes. How would you handle the use of these "medical advancements" towards your child or athlete? And how would you improve, control or stop the use of them? Furthermore, is it morally correct or incorrect to use these items?

onfirebball05mustang
01-14-2004, 09:47 AM
interesting topic- i don't believe they should be used, because if the player is good or bad, they should just play to the best of their abilities and not try and be the perfect all star of the team.

Pudlugger
01-14-2004, 10:44 AM
This is a very broad question. From a medical standpoint you might want to break it down into two general catagories: 1)food supplements and special diets and 2)hormonal and metabolic enhancers. From a health standpoint the greatest risks are from the latter catagory with anabolic steroids leading the list of dangerous substances followed by ephedra, thyroid extracts, carb blockers and fat burners, and creatine. Steroids are especially harmful to growing boys, your basic high school athlete. First they cause the growth plates in the long bones to close leading to premature growth cessation. Next, they interfere with normal hormonal production and testicular function (not a good thing in men of reproductive age). Most concerning is the effect androgens have on the liver, leading to an increased risk of hepatic carcinoma and liver failure. Finally, they have serious psychological side effects known on the street as "steroid rage". Steroids can be obtained from legal prescriptions or, more commonly, on the grey market. One form easily available in any vitamin and supplement section is DHEAS- an androgenic adrenal hormone that has anabolic effects. Other metabolic enhancers such as ephedra, a popular appetite suppresant and stimulant , are associated with sudden death from cardiac arrest. Carb blockers are often thyroid extracts which interfere with the cellular utilization of ATP for energy- the principal source of all muscle energy. They can lead to serious metabolic imbalances, muscle wasting, and psychological disturbances. Most of the problems in the sports world revolve around substances in this catagory and should be avoided.

The other catagory, dietary supplements and special diets is not as likely to be a problem unless taken to extremes such as radical fade diets, or fasting/purging regimes (often employed by wrestlers to make their weight). An adolescent is in a state of enhanced anabolic activity naturally as a result of surging testosterone production (anyone with a teenage son knows this already) and they require high calory diets rich in protein for muscle and bone growth. Vitamins are especially important and often are lacking in today's fast food microwave meal diets. Vitamin C is necessary for collagen production. Collagen is what holds us together-the fiber of our muscles, ligaments and bone matrix. A lack of Vitamin C leads to severe growth anomalies and bone disorders(Rickets). Vitamin B for neurological and liver function and the blood, D for calcium deposition in bone, A for skin, hair, blood and liver function and so forth are all needed in this stage of rapid growth. Young athletes often don't get enough protein or vitamins and supplements can be very useful if not taken in excessive doses (espeially those not excreted like Vit A, Vit D and Vit E).[When my son was in 7th grade he started playing football. He also started growing like a weed. I would mark off his heigth almost every two weeks on his door jam establishing a permanent record of his growth which is there to this day. In so far as he was working out with weights, running and conditioning regularly he required more protein than the average more sedentary adolescent, so I made sure he had plenty of red meat and poultry in his diet. He also took multiple vitamins and vitamin D. I believe this contributed to his success in that he grew to 6'1" (the tallest male in our family) and 250 lbs. and was first team All District 24 OL this year.] I would recommend that parents monitor the diets of their athlete children, insuring adaquate protein and vitamin intake through a balanced diet high in protein content, a multi vitamin plus 500 mg Vit C daily. Using protein supplements such as Myoplex or other similar products available in health food sections of the grocery store can be of benefit to the athlete in weight training or strength building regimens typical of football, baseball, power lifting etc. and have little or no health risks. So that is my view on the subject.

vet93
01-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I agree with Pud (thanks for the synopsis by the way!...Very nice) There is a far cry from a kid taking a protein drink and vitamins from a kid taking anabolic steriods and ephedra. I have no problems with a supplement or vitamin that takes a "natural" path to good health. I do have a problem with a substances that enhances or over-emphasizes a pathway in order to achieve a competitive advantage.

Wildcat81
01-14-2004, 05:02 PM
onfirebball05mustang:
interesting topic- i don't believe they should be used, because if the player is good or bad, they should just play to the best of their abilities and not try and be the perfect all star of the team.I have to agree with you,I don't think they should be used.