PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys rumored to be looking at drafting Cam newton. Thoughts?

GrTigers6
03-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Saw on facebook, 95.9 the ranch posted that the cowboys rumored to be trying for newton.
What I want to know is number 1 is this a possibiity and number 2 is this a good idea?

bigwood33
03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
With Jerry, anything is possible but I sure hope not. Newton is absolutely NOT ready for the NFL. He will be terrible.

Dogman_1969
03-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Better draft some linemen with the first 2 picks. Take some guys that can help you for the next 10 yrs first and then go secondary with the mid rounds.

With the unknown about free agency stuff there is no telling. Maybe someone would trade a pair of #1's for Oh-No-Romo?

RoyceTTU
03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Saw on facebook, 95.9 the ranch posted that the cowboys rumored to be trying for newton.
What I want to know is number 1 is this a possibiity and number 2 is this a good idea?

I would think of all news outlets out there, this would be one of the least credible.

As for whether Charlie Robison's dog got found, The Ranch would be the one to know:thumbsup:

Maroon87
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
They need O-line and secondary help. Unless Cam Newton can help them at one of those positions I say pass on him.

coach
03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
if they don't get a db in the first round im gonna be pissed. Newton would be so stupid to draft. He wont win a super bowl and you already have a top 7 qb in the league.

Bullaholic
03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
If Jerry goes shopping for QB's--I'd worry a lot more about the Mallett kid---he is a little piggy you know....:D

I don't think even JJ will make the mistake of wasting a first rounder on a QB with the glaring secondary and "O" line needs of the Cowboys right now.

JasperDog94
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Jerry Jones is just making headlines. That's what he does. He's got to be in the spotlight at all times. The Cowboys will not draft Newton.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jerry Jones is just making headlines. That's what he does. He's got to be in the spotlight at all times. The Cowboys will not draft Newton.

This. All they did was interview him, and everyone thinks Cam's the guy now. Great PR. Won't happen - Peterson is the prize, and Prince is the expectation. If those two are gone we probably trade down for an OL or take the best slotted OL available.

DavidWooderson
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Guys....NFL teams are allowed to interview 60 players at the combine. Most teams are interview the top 20-30 players in the draft no matter what their needs, then interview the other 30-40 to what their needs are. I'm sure at least 25 of the 32 teams there interviewed him.

waterboy
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't see the Cowboys wasting a first round pick on Newton. At best, he is 2-3 years away from making an impact with the Cowboys. The Cowboys need help NOW at DB, safety, offensive line, etc. I see them getting the best player available at any of these 3 spots before they gamble with drafting a player that won't help them THIS year. I can, however, see them get a RB if he's the best player available when their pick comes around.:thinking: I think Marion Barber is history, in my opinion, especially if that happens.

DavidWooderson
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
They aren't going to draft him...they just interviewed him. Just because you interview someone at the combine doesn't mean that's who's on your draft board.

Farmersfan
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh how quickly all you forget!!!

This defense was the #2 defense in the entire NFL year before last and most of these players that some of you have already written off were part of that. Last year's performance was more a result of the lack of leadership and the circus atmosphere that Jerry created at Valley Ranch. If Romo stays healthy and these EXACT same players go into next year with the proper attitude they easily compete for a title. Let's not throw out the good players because they had a bad season. this team needs to draft the best available player regardless of who it is or what position he plays............

GrTigers6
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

This defense was the #2 defense in the entire NFL year before last and most of these players that some of you have already written off were part of that. Last year's performance was more a result of the lack of leadership and the circus atmosphere that Jerry created at Valley Ranch. If Romo stays healthy and these EXACT same players go into next year with the proper attitude they easily compete for a title. Let's not throw out the good players because they had a bad season. this team needs to draft the best available player regardless of who it is or what position he plays............ I agree, But is Cam the best player at that spot in the draft. I am thinking, no.

RoyceTTU
03-01-2011, 01:25 PM

This defense was the #2 defense in the entire NFL year before last and most of these players that some of you have already written off were part of that. Last year's performance was more a result of the lack of leadership and the circus atmosphere that Jerry created at Valley Ranch. If Romo stays healthy and these EXACT same players go into next year with the proper attitude they easily compete for a title. Let's not throw out the good players because they had a bad season. this team needs to draft the best available player regardless of who it is or what position he plays............

Now...Now...You can't post your opinion until we find TXB. He can't defend himself:D

Pendragon13
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think it's gonna happen (and hope it doesn't) but if the Boys do go after a QB I think Ryan Mallett would be a good choice.

DavidWooderson
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
1 - The Cowboys aren't going after a QB, they already have a Top 10 QB.

2 - IF there isn't anything worth drafting at #9 (CB or DL) they won't take it, they'll trade down and pick up stuff.

Farmersfan
03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I agree, But is Cam the best player at that spot in the draft. I am thinking, no.

I agree! I don't think he is first round talent at all. Late second round at best.

DavidWooderson
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
His #1 knock is he can't even read college defenses, how's that going to translate to the NFL.

Bullaholic
03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I agree! I don't think he is first round talent at all. Late second round at best.

Uh,oh--dad may have to give some of that money Cam didn't know about back....:D

Emerson1
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Ryan Mallet has never won a big game in his football career. He choked in college and his last HS game.

I don't see why anyone would even think about taking Newton in the first round. He is the 3-4 QB on most "experts" boards. Might as well sign VY.

and considering Prince A and Patrick Peterson had amazing workouts I dont see them slipping past 9.

ogg
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
1 - The Cowboys aren't going after a QB, they already have a Top 10 QB.

2 - IF there isn't anything worth drafting at #9 (CB or DL) they won't take it, they'll trade down and pick up stuff.

Agree, Cowboys will focus on D-backs in first round.

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Ryan Mallet has never won a big game in his football career. He choked in college and his last HS game.

I don't see why anyone would even think about taking Newton in the first round. He is the 3-4 QB on most "experts" boards. Might as well sign VY.

and considering Prince A and Patrick Peterson had amazing workouts I dont see them slipping past 9.
There may not be a QB in this draft worth a first round pick. Mallet's erratic and throws balls at his receivers instead of to them, Gabbert is somewhat limited with his arm, and Newton is Vince Young with slightly better pocket presence. Locker seems the best chance of being something at the next level, but he's not a winner. Has the best tools of the bunch, though.