http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6155981:D

coach
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6155981:D

I don't even have to look at this and i already know what it's about

Farmersfan
02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I saw this same thing on Sportscenter. The draft "Experts" said Dallas will take Cam with their #8 (?) pick. Although I like the idea I understand that Cam would never get a fair shot in Dallas.

coach
02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I saw this same thing on Sportscenter. The draft "Experts" said Dallas will take Cam with their #8 (?) pick. Although I like the idea I understand that Cam would never get a fair shot in Dallas.

Hell, if Claudette White was drafted by dallas you be saying the same thing...

Emerson1
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I am switching to the Packers bandwagon if the Cowboys draft this guy.

Sweetwater Red
02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

You should've done that the first time you heard Jerry Jones compared to Al Davis.

Farmersfan
02-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote from Jerry Jones:

"I think obviously that position of quarterback you're immediately going to start looking for leadership," Jones said. "You're going to start looking for intangibles, and his physical abilities are pretty good. As far as in an interview, you're looking for a guy who is going to be the face of your organization that you feel like will be a leader for your team and is a winner."

Does this sound like a guy who is satisfied with the status quo? Almost every single person associated with the NFL has questioned Romo's leadership at some point in his career. Most are STILL questioning it. It appears to me that perhaps Jerry is finally catching on. But I'm not so sure I would support drafting Cam Newton. I see him as another Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell.

lostaussie
02-28-2011, 09:56 AM
But I'm not so sure I would support drafting Cam Newton. I see him as another Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell. How about lets throw in Ryan Leif...............as not to make this racial or anything:D

big daddy russ
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I am switching to the Cowboys bandwagon if the Cowboys draft this guy.

TheDOCTORdre
02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
But I'm not so sure I would support drafting Cam Newton. I see him as another Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell.

why he plays nothing like those two mentioned, if I had to compare him to anyone I would say Big Ben, or perhaps Steve McNair...

bigwood33
03-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Except he is much less accurate. With less than 300 passing attempts at the major college level and no experience at 3-5-7 step drops, he is is the rawest QB to come out in years. I doubt seriously if he will ever be a competent NFL QB but I am CONVINCED that IF he becomes one, it will be years down the road. I expect that if he is a 1st round pick, he will get at least 1 coach fired and probably 2 before he is cut.

Farmersfan
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
why he plays nothing like those two mentioned, if I had to compare him to anyone I would say Big Ben, or perhaps Steve McNair...

What games have you been watching. Cam Newton is 75% about his ability to run. Neither Big Ben or McNair was about that. Cam Newton is probably the LEAST accurate passer to come out at that position in several decades. He has a lot of raw athletic talent but that's about all. And i truly suspect he is close to Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell between the ears. (If you get my meaning?)

TheDOCTORdre
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
What games have you been watching. Cam Newton is 75% about his ability to run. Neither Big Ben or McNair was about that. Cam Newton is probably the LEAST accurate passer to come out at that position in several decades. He has a lot of raw athletic talent but that's about all. And i truly suspect he is close to Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell between the ears. (If you get my meaning?)

based on what is Newton the least accurate passer in decades?

SintonFan
03-01-2011, 11:12 PM
based on what is Newton the least accurate passer in decades?

On that Romo is NOW?:D

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Except he is much less accurate. With less than 300 passing attempts at the major college level and no experience at 3-5-7 step drops, he is is the rawest QB to come out in years. I doubt seriously if he will ever be a competent NFL QB but I am CONVINCED that IF he becomes one, it will be years down the road. I expect that if he is a 1st round pick, he will get at least 1 coach fired and probably 2 before he is cut.
Rawest to come out since Vince Young?

He's a VY clone with a sliver of Tebow. Slightly better at reading defenses and delivering the ball. Doesn't have quite the shiftiness of Vince.

I'm an Auburn fan through and through, but I agree that he's not an NFL QB. But saying he's the rawest in years is an overstatement. Vince Young was more raw. Pat White was more raw. Jamarcus Russell was as raw.

I'm slightly higher on Cam than I was on Vince out of college (and I was very low on Vince, so this is far from a compliment). He has better pocket presence, moves around better in space, and is a more accurate passer, especially on intermediate routes.

However, neither of them will ever be pocket QB's. Cam has a high completion % for the same reasons that Vince did--they both took second- and third-level defenders away from coverage. Plain and simple.

Unless Cam learns to read a defense from the pocket or unless NFL offenses adopt a spread option system, his highest upside IMO is as a mediocre starter.

Txbroadcaster
03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Vince Young was more raw. Pat White was more raw. Jamarcus Russell was as raw.

in no way IMO could someone say Young is rawer than Newton going into the draft simply because of amount of games played in college

Newton was a starter ONE year..Young 2 and 1/2 years.

I know people like to bag on Young because of how the Titans situation has played out, but the simple fact is, he has won in the NFL and has improved every year.

Farmersfan
03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
in no way IMO could someone say Young is rawer than Newton going into the draft simply because of amount of games played in college

I know people like to bag on Young because of how the Titans situation has played out, but the simple fact is, he has won in the NFL and has improved every year.

But has his winning and his improving equated to his draft position? Has he justified the amount of hope and money the Titans put into him?

big daddy russ
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I never said anything about the number of games played, nor did I imply it.

A prospect's experience has less to do with how raw they are than their mechanics and ability to read a defense. So I'm not sure where you're going with this post. That's almost like saying that Vince had a 70% completion rate at UT, so he was an accurate passer (you can also substitute Cam's 66% comp rate here).

What made Vince raw was a combination of mechanics, poor accuracy, and inability to read a defense. Newton, meanwhile, has a higher release point, better overall mechanics, and is a little more accurate on his throws, but still struggles to read a defense without breaking the defensive scheme down by scrambling. Same problems Vince had.

As a matter of fact, they're very similar QB's through and through. And the differences between the two are like splitting hairs. They even look similar in the open field.

Vince was MORE raw than Newton out of college, but it's not like Newton is a well-developed pocket passer with the ability to pick apart a set defense.