PDA

View Full Version : Well I was wrong!

CenTexSports
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I thought that I was a strong Reagan voodoo economics Republican but I was wrong. What changed me?

$5.00 a gallon gasoline!!!!!!!!!!! This is what they say we will be paying in the summer.

So now I am for nationalizing all major oil companies and drilling anywhere that there may be oil. Then nationalize the electric companies and install 50 new nuclear reactors. Then nationalize the medical industry and give me free medical insurance.

And since they are not going to enforce the marriage law, I am getting four more wives in hope that one will be in a good mood every day.

SintonFan
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I thought that I was a strong Reagan voodoo economics Republican but I was wrong. What changed me?

$5.00 a gallon gasoline!!!!!!!!!!! This is what they say we will be paying in the summer.

So now I am for nationalizing all major oil companies and drilling anywhere that there may be oil. Then nationalize the electric companies and install 50 new nuclear reactors. Then nationalize the medical industry and give me free medical insurance.

And since they are not going to enforce the marriage law, I am getting four more wives in hope that one will be in a good mood every day.

Yes, but what if your four wives' Aunt Flo visits a separate week for four consecutive weeks? :(

bobcat1
02-24-2011, 01:40 PM
It's the taxes on the oil that drives the price up along with all that regulation passed for the last couple of years that have to be adhered to driving up overhead.

Same thing holds true for tobacco products.

Ernest T Bass
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Im not sold on that. If it's the price of oil, then why isn't gas the same price everywhere? Why can is it 3.15 at valero, but 3.12 at another valero across town? Also, why isn't EVERYTHING going sky high? Plastics are made from petrolchemicals, so why isn't everything made from plastic going through the roof as well?

Blastoderm55
02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Im not sold on that. If it's the price of oil, then why isn't gas the same price everywhere? Why can is it 3.15 at valero, but 3.12 at another valero across town? Also, why isn't EVERYTHING going sky high? Plastics are made from petrolchemicals, so why isn't everything made from plastic going through the roof as well?

The price makes sense to an extent. Perhaps the cheaper Valero pays a slightly lower freight charge for the shipment, or uses an entirely different provider. There are lots of variables to consider. The plastics deal is a head-scratcher though, and increases in its pricing will lead to increases in everything.

As for regulation, I guess we could get rid of it. Clean drinking water and a balanced oceanic ecosystem are over-rated. Drill baby, drill!

garciap77
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

Why not get seven?:D

RoyceTTU
02-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Items that are a by-product of oil as opposed to a direct molecular structure will see price gains in the future. Oil is refined to make gas and the demand keeps it turning at a rapid pace, so the gas stations reflect price changed immediately. Plastics use oil, but don't buy oil every week therefore there price dosn't adjust quite so fast.

Because we own Lumber/Hardware stores a good example of this is Steel Prices.

Rebar fluctuates tremendously, it's like riding a roller coaster.
Nails however, seems like they are always on a 6 month lag. Mostly because the raw materials are purchased many months before it hits the retail floor.

The other hingepoint in prices is logistics/marketing/turns/supply etc....it's really hard to compare exxonn to valero to etc.....
And some retailers are just too ignorant to adjust for market demands.

Ernest T Bass
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
The other hingepoint in prices is logistics/marketing/turns/supply etc....it's really hard to compare exxonn to valero to etc.....

No, I mean the same damned company. Example; the valero in Carrollton has diesel at 3.42. Valero in North Dallas sells it at 3.39. And the valero in Ennis is at 3.45.

lv2937
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Back years ago i owned a service station. I was told by Texaco that I could not make more than 12 cents a gallon off of it. If i wanted to make 12 cents a gallon profit, i just added 12 cents to the price i gave for it. We have 2 convince store here in burnet owned by the same guy. They get their gas from the same place, but one place is 5 cents a gallon cheaper than the other. The one that is cheaper sell more beer and smokes than the other one so he sell his gas cheaper to get u to come in and buy his other proucts

hollywood
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lv2937
Back years ago i owned a service station. I was told by Texaco that I could not make more than 12 cents a gallon off of it. If i wanted to make 12 cents a gallon profit, i just added 12 cents to the price i gave for it. We have 2 convince store here in burnet owned by the same guy. They get their gas from the same place, but one place is 5 cents a gallon cheaper than the other. The one that is cheaper sell more beer and smokes than the other one so he sell his gas cheaper to get u to come in and buy his other proucts

BINGO!

RoyceTTU
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
No, I mean the same damned company. Example; the valero in Carrollton has diesel at 3.42. Valero in North Dallas sells it at 3.39. And the valero in Ennis is at 3.45.

Originally posted by RoyceTTU

:D

CenTexSports
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
The current rise in prices is supposedly due to the major unrest in the oil producing regions of the world. That is why we should produce all we can.

And only four wives becasue at my age three to four times a week is enough especially since it has been four times a year.

runtowin
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Did the rise of Hybrids cause oil companies to lose profits so now they are jacking up the price of gasoline to get their money back?

MUSTANG69
02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by runtowin
Did the rise of Hybrids cause oil companies to lose profits so now they are jacking up the price of gasoline to get their money back?

IMO hybrids are overrated. I don't think they have that big of an impact.

DDBooger
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
IMO hybrids are overrated. I don't think they have that big of an impact. You're essentially right. It's a Jevon's Paradox. Not only that, they are plugging into a fossil fueled infrastructure.

Farmersfan
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Has our oil consumption in this country declined since NOBAMA broke the bank to buy up all the gas hogs????? And isn't 5 out of the top 10 selling vehicles in this country actually gas hogging SUVS? This country will have to go through something 100X worst than what we have been going through before Americans learn anything!

I chose to drive a gas hog 4X4 truck so I don't feel like I'm eligible to complain about gas prices. But I did get rid of all my debt and credit cards 8 years ago so I can complain about everything else!!! :D

bobcat1
02-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I chose to drive a gas hog 4X4 truck so I don't feel like I'm eligible to complain about gas prices. But I did get rid of all my debt and credit cards 8 years ago so I can complain about everything else!!! :D I'll be dang. We have another thing or 2 in common. I quit the credit scene 8 years ago. and drive a paid for Z71 Extended Cab. I'd hate to be making payments and buying gass right now.:eek:

lv2937
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Ive been wanting to buy a motor home for a couple of years. Now will be a good time to buy one. I have been looking at one in Houston for a couple of weeks. They have come down ten grand since i first looked at it. If fuel keeps going up ,I bet it will come down some more.

SintonFan
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Give it time. Everything will go up when oil is higher(manufacturing, transport, food etc. etc. etc. a big domino-effect). Not to mention when our dollar is taken off the world standard. Then....
I shudder and want another beer at the thought.:(