PDA

View Full Version : Tech Spring Practice

RoyceTTU
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Looks like the 4-2-5 is a for sure thing. This will be the base defense. A few people will be playing some different defensive positions but in the long run, it should be a better structure. When it comes to Tech Defense, after being ranked 116 in the nation, we can only get better.

On the offensive side they are still running the spread but are playing with the pistol and diamond formation quite a bit. Coach says its something they wanted to try out this spring and see if it evolves. It looks like Seth Doege will be the starter but the OC has said he will not name a starter until fall.

Doege is a junior and is currently taking 50% of the snaps and the other 50% is being disperssed amongst the other QB's mostly being Scotty Young.

On a side note, our chances moved from no chance to slim chance with the recruiting of Trey Williams. Mostly because his older brother will be transfering in this year, and play for TTU for his senior year after sitting out a red shirt junior year. Dosn't mean much other than a good word if his brother enjoys the staff and team.

Optimistic about this year, but it is obvious the team is still rebuilding into a different program. As for Tubbs leaving, I'm putting those chances at slim due to a 5 year contract extension and a pay raise given. The staff members are upset because of the state-wide budget shortfall and a freeze on pay raises, but apparantly there was a handshake deal to get him to come to TTU below market value.

Old Tiger
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
You can only hope you get better, lol

WildTexan972
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
a coach that got fired from his last job and had no other job offers got $1.5million a year for 5 years and they call that "under market value".....

so far this spring he has run off a TE and 2 DL's which are in short supply on this team....and the offense just keeps looking worse and worse with the junior high coach callin the plays...

MustangFootball
02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
i think jacob karam is the best thing for that offense, there's something about seth doege that just worries me. i wasn't to impressed when i saw him go in last season when sticks and potts were hurt, and every other time i've seen him get any reps. karam can atleast pull it down and run.

big daddy russ
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
a coach that got fired from his last job and had no other job offers got $1.5million a year for 5 years and they call that "under market value".....

so far this spring he has run off a TE and 2 DL's which are in short supply on this team....and the offense just keeps looking worse and worse with the junior high coach callin the plays...
Your memory must be fuzzy.

He quit Auburn after too much drama with a handful of our boosters. Had interviews with at least four prestigious programs. Could've saddled up and gone to at least one. Chose Tech at a lower salary than he was offered at X school to be closer to family.

I never thought Tubs would take a job where the ghost of Mike Leach would hover over him. Phil Fulmer, Howard Schellenberger/Jimmy Johnson, or Frank Broyles, maybe.

RoyceTTU
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by MustangFootball
i think jacob karam is the best thing for that offense, there's something about seth doege that just worries me. i wasn't to impressed when i saw him go in last season when sticks and potts were hurt, and every other time i've seen him get any reps. karam can atleast pull it down and run.

Seth went 3-4 for 51 yards 0 td and 0 int in 2010. You can't really say that you were un-impressed, all you could say is you havn't seen him

2009 he went 38-61 for 369 yards 2 td and 0 int

Neither is too shabby as a freshman and soph playing 3rd string. I think he will be fine.

I would rather see scotty than jacob

RoyceTTU
02-24-2011, 10:31 AM
A tough day of spring practices yesterday. The focus was on defense. Lots of penetration drills.

Bright lights was Graves stepping up at DT to fill the void from players that have decided to leave the program. He is playing well.

Another player on Defense is leaving the program, Will Ford, he had academic troubles last year, but is a very great player.

My guess is the sudden rash of players leaving the program is directly related to the new DC Glasgow and his intensity. From what I understand, he is the most intense person on the staff. It's probably just as well to weed through the players that don't think his style will fit there playing personalities.

Also, there is rumors that Kirby Hocutt will be replacing Gerald Myers. Nothing is official but this would be huge. Having Hence and Myers out, I think, would give the Atheletic Dept the room to grow. I'm not a fan of either.