PDA

View Full Version : possible luling school closure

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Idk how true this information is but I heard from my sister unaware that lives in luling saying that the school would be closing after this year and all kids will have to go to Lockhart or prairie Lea schools. I know they have under performance.ed on test scores and plus recent budget problems.
Does anyone know anything more about this?

Ernest T Bass
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Look for a lot of this in the coming years.

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Yea not good for me since I'm 2 semester away from graduating to become a teacher and hopefully a soccer Coach. I'm glad though that minor is life sciences so I will be able to teach science in secondary or people all level

Ernest T Bass
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by roughneck_2008
Yea not good for me since I'm 2 semester away from graduating to become a teacher and hopefully a soccer Coach. I'm glad though that minor is life sciences so I will be able to teach science in secondary or people all level

Might wanna consider another career choice.

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
too late for that now. i got basically 1 semester of PE class and 1 biology class. and its what i want to do, idk what else I would really enjoy. I did look at local job posting at local districts around san marcos and all of them that had an opening were science

Ernest T Bass
02-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Science cert will help, but not gonna be very many openings for the next few years. Most districts are just absorbing positions when people leave. I dont know of anything else Id wanna do either, but Im definitely exploring options. Good luck.

Old Tiger
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Good job slick Rick!

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
i know it will be tough, but I will have to find a way to make it through and hopefully it will get better in couple years or so.

and does anyone else know of school that may be closing? i know austin is suppose to be closing something like 9 schools.

theville
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I am a PE teacher and I am not going to have a job next year. The district I am in is having a hiring freeze. Nobody in.

Time for me to look at other opportunities.

Good Luck with your deal.

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
That sucks, dis you coach as Well or just pe

LHSEagleFan
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Luling ISD will not be closing, this is a rumor that has been floating around for 2 years.

roughneck_2008
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
OK that's good to hear. I know its been floating around but hadn't heard from anyone in luling to verify then my sister in law told me she had heard it from someone again. So I was just wondering if anyone had heard about whether it was true or Not. Do you work for the school? Its one of the places I wanted to try and start coaching, since I have a friend I work with say they always had enough player to wanna play soccer but no one to coach them and put it all together.

theville
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
They are cutting the whole position.

roughneck_2008
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I like how they cut pe, but say we have such an epidemic of obesity and they don't understand why its like that. I know people still percieve pe as a blow off class in Hs because some teachers just roll out a ball and say play something. When that's what college students now are told not to do it. And you got the fitness gram That kids are suppose to pass but they never get exercise anywhere but what they could of got at school

Phil C
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by roughneck_2008
I like how they cut pe, but say we have such an epidemic of obesity and they don't understand why its like that. I know people still percieve pe as a blow off class in Hs because some teachers just roll out a ball and say play something. When that's what college students now are told not to do it. And you got the fitness gram That kids are suppose to pass but they never get exercise anywhere but what they could of got at school

I really agree. Education is one place I hate to see cuts. And this could affect a lot of good teachers who wanted to make it a career. At least if they have a degree and if resources permit is is always easier to get a second degree in another major. I know a man who got a petroleam engineering degree but found he didn't like so he went and got a science degree and picked up the education courses to get his teacher certificate and really liked his new profession. He retired 2 years ago after 31 years of teaching.