PDA

View Full Version : Home Schooled Elligible to Participate in UIL Athletics?

Bullaholic
02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Can a home-schooled highschool student participate in UIL athletics as a member of a UIL highschool's team?

DavidWooderson
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Back 10 years ago I know they could IF they went to school part time.

Gsquared
02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Dallas has a home school football team that competes in the UIL. Think they are in Class 2A. ETB might know what class.

Ernest T Bass
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Dallas has a home school football team that competes in the UIL. Think they are in Class 2A. ETB might know what class.

I dont know of any that compete in the UIL. I know of a few in TAPPS.
I think if they live within the district boundaries(ie: they pay school taxes), then they get to play. But honestly, most home schooled kids Ive know don't wanna be anyplace where someone might bump into'em hard.

Phil C
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I would hope so. The parents still have to pay property taxes.

partimefan
02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
If home-schooled kids can participate on the local school's UIL team, then every athlete who is having trouble passing math could just be "home-schooled" for the season.

partimefan
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I would hope so. The parents still have to pay property taxes.

The parents are paying property taxes for the good of our country, not to have facilities available to their kids. If they choose not to enroll in the services provided by the state, they do not then get to make up their own rules.

To participate in a UIL activity, students have to be passing their classes. If a student is taking science from her mom at home, can she fail that class? If she did fail, how would the school know?

Phantom Stang
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by partimefan
The parents are paying property taxes for the good of our country, not to have facilities available to their kids. If they choose not to enroll in the services provided by the state, they do not then get to make up their own rules.

To participate in a UIL activity, students have to be passing their classes. If a student is taking science from his mom at home, can she fail that class? If she did fail, how would the school know?
+1

crzyjournalist03
02-17-2011, 05:20 PM

To participate in a UIL activity, students have to be passing their classes. If a student is taking science from her mom at home, can she fail that class? If she did fail, how would the school know?

As a former home-schooled kid, I can tell you exactly how it works.

In order to participate, you must submit your report cards to the school, and they're able to give you a competency test I believe once every six weeks. There are also channels which a parent must go through in order to have their child's homeschool credit accredited. My parents had a ton of paperwork they mailed in every six weeks or nine weeks or semester or something like that in order to be able to prove that I was being properly educated.

Now, I'm sure there are some families who wouldn't bother going to the measures my family did to prove my accreditation, but then again, they never let me join a school team anyway and just had me play on city parks and rec teams growing up.

Matthew328
02-17-2011, 05:22 PM

+2

Phil C
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

BECAUSE MOTHERS ARE HONEST AND CARE! What a politically incorrect statement!

:mad:

:)

Phil C
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Also mothers are harder on their own children. A teacher told me so.

crzyjournalist03
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Also mothers are harder on their own children. A teacher told me so.

Geez...my mom was...I couldn't believe how easy it was to get good grades once they finally let me go to public school my sophomore year.

Phil C
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
If home-schooled kids can participate on the local school's UIL team, then every athlete who is having trouble passing math could just be "home-schooled" for the season.

Sayyyyyyyy! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan
02-17-2011, 07:08 PM

Easier said than done.:nerd:

mwynn05
02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
at my school a lot of times when we have a home school kid enroll we find out home school=no school

pancho villa
02-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Home schooling is a joke! Jump into the real world or stay behind!

cotulla
02-18-2011, 09:29 AM
NO, they cannot participate. Have to be enrolled in the school.

AAA87
02-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Correct, they cannot play on a school team if being home schooled. We went through this when I was an AD and the kids family moved him to public school so that he could play basketball.
We went to UIL on this and, that is who has final say...UIL= NO to home schoolers trying to play UIL sports.

NastySlot
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
i believe this may have even gone to court...with a case of a home schooled softball player in Corpus.........a while back.

Florida allows it...famous home schooler..........Tim Tebow.

rojosgirl
02-18-2011, 10:17 AM
IMO this is wrong on SO many levels. Home school should = no athletics. If the school isn't good enough for your kid to attend, then they shouldn't be able to play a game with them. That's one of the choices you make when you choose home schooling. Keep those precious ones away from the evil public school children. HA! Better yet, form a home school league that the mommas can run.

SintonFan
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Better yet, form a home school league that the mommas can run.

That would be awesome!

I can see high school roller derby with more blood, sweat and tears than the professional leagues. And THAT's just from the mommas.:clap:

Ernest T Bass
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
There are home school programs in the DFW area. They generaly suck at everything.

NastySlot
02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
FEAST in San Antonio area runs a great cross country program..very good coaches and they run both a high school and middle school on seperate weekends........the middle school meet is the best run one on that level i've seen.

FEAST-Family Educators Alliance of South Texas