PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

theville
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
ANy body ever got it? I went yesterday and it was BRUTAL!

Ernest T Bass
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I have and I actually enjoyed it. I was even elected foreman.
Not sure how I got in. My old man's a cop and I was very open about that.

44INAROW
02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Not sure how I got in. My old man's a cop and I was very open about that.

I was on a civil jury and it took 10 working days...... there were 11 women and 1 man - we elected him Foreman :)
I tell what's interesting, is being on a Grand Jury.. Been on 2 times - now that is some interesting stuff.........

Old LB
02-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Don't wear shorts, apparently that is unacceptable. Who knew? They said dress comfortable. :D

bobcat1
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Not sure how I got in. My old man's a cop and I was very open about that. My presence wasn't required. I wonder if it had anything to do with my views.:thinking:

Emerson1
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
One if the benefits of being a college student.

What would happened if you walked in with a white power shirt?

Old Tiger
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm 23 and have received at least 5 so far.

BEAST
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I have several times. I sat on a jury for a week. I thought it was pretty cool to see/be a part of the system. That being said, Id rather not do it again.

BEAST

BwdLion73
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
Don't wear shorts, apparently that is unacceptable. Who knew? They said dress comfortable. :D

35th judicial district? I think I was in that courtroom when Judge Ellis suggested that.

:thinking: ;)

Old LB
02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
35th judicial district? I think I was in that courtroom when Judge Ellis suggested that.

:thinking: ;)

That'd be the one!

BwdLion73
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
That'd be the one!

Well for the record, I thought you looked comfortable.

:D :D :D

DavidWooderson
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I've had it twice....once went to voidire (jury selection) and the other time I was selected and served on a DWI case, lasted 3 days. I loved it. I love how the courtroom works, big fan of Law & Order, shows like that. It was fun to see how different and how similar the two are.

When I was selected to the DWI case I thought I would be able to get out of it. First I was asked if I ever had anyone affected by a drunk driving accident. I honestly answered, "Yes, I've had a cousin killed by a drunk driver in an accident and I've had a good friend from high school killed when he was the drunk driver in a single car accident" I wasn't excused on the first cuts, then I was asked if I personally know any police officers, if so what are their positions. I thought, I'm getting out on this one. "Yes sir, I have a friend's dad who is a cpl for the Denton County Sheriffs Dept, another friend's dad is the chief of police for TWU, my brother's good friend's dad is (was at the time) the police chief in Pilot Point, my company works on a routine basis with the Aubrey Police Dept, and my stepmom's cousin (who at the time was the interim police chief for city of Denton)." They made another cut of jurors and there sat 10 of us, they were selecting 6. 4 men, 6 women, wide range of ages, except there was me and one other guy sitting next to me in the same age demographic as the defendant. They asked the guy next to me if he had a prior arrest record and if he did if he had no problems, would he share it. He said, yes, I've been arested for DWI 2 times. DOH! he was cut, I was in.

BUT I enjoyed it, it was interesting.

poisoned10
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I've only had it once. Luckily, one of the exceptions is having to get kids from school/day care so I got to leave about 20 minutes after I got there.

Saggy Aggie
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
One if the benefits of being a college student. :clap:

Sweetwater Red
02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I've only been summoned once and the trial was set to start the same day I was scheduled to
have my gall bladder removed. So, I got out of
it easily.

Old Dog
02-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Old fogey that I am, yes many times. And, have served on the district grand jury. You then get to see up close all the crap that goes on "after dark". Pretty damn eye opening to say the least!

Asst DA told us 75% of the cases we see would be drug or drug related....you know thief of property to sell for drug money.

Tx Challenge
02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Served 4 days in Dec....

hawkfan
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Just wait till you get on a capital murder case and send the guy to Huntsville

DavidWooderson
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Just wait till you get on a capital murder case and send the guy to Huntsville

That's what I want to get on....be sequesterd, all of that stuff....Runaway Jury, Jury Duty and Ernest Goes To Jail all wrapped up in one!

hawkfan
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
That's what I want to get on....be sequesterd, all of that stuff....Runaway Jury, Jury Duty and Ernest Goes To Jail all wrapped up in one!

We almost got sequestered. If I would have it would have pissed off my wife royally.

Ernest T Bass
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
My old man is now a DA investigator in the Dallas County grand jury. He's got some stories...

skins4life
02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Server back '87 Aggravated kidnapping. It was crazy.

turbostud
02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I skipped Jury Dury in November. I am waiting for that "knock" on my door.

PPHSfan
02-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by turbostud

I served on a jury once where the defendant was accused of not doing his civic duty by skipping jury duty 12 times. We had some fun in court that day.

catgut
02-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I once served on a capital murder case where a guy stabbed an old 79 year old man 19 times in the chest with a butcher knife and stole his car. They showed us the pictures of him after he'd been stabbed right before we took a lunch break that day. The guy got life in prision.

Ranger Mom
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by turbostud

I have done that twice....once on accident, I had just gotten married and moved and the jury summons went to my old address.

The second time my husband and I both got called for the same day....which happened to be right in the middle of a vacation we had planned and already paid for....we just ignored it.

We have both since been called and he had to show up for his and was excused. I didn't have to show up for mine.

I asked a friend of mine, who works at the court house, about the possibility of getting in trouble and she said they send out HUNDREDS of those summons and unless you are a repeat "No Show"....nothing will be done about it if you miss.

RoyceTTU
02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been called 4 times. Each time I knew the arresting police officers. Each time the judge asked the same question "would knowing the police officer alter your judgement of anyone involved?". My answer is always the same and very honest "I trust my friend's words without explanation over others. That's why we are friends" I have always been dismissed very quickly. :D

westtxfballfan
02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Have picked about 90 to 100 criminal juries over the last 15 years. (Most as prosecutor.) Lots of people sigh, roll their eyes, or groan when the judge calls their name, but the ones I see around town afterward usually say they found it interesting and liked it in the end. And actually, you don't get "picked" by the two sides; each side strikes the ones they don't want and the first 6 or 12 (plus alternates) that aren't struck by either side make up the jury.