View Full Version : Got to get a tooth pulled today

Pudlugger
09-12-2002, 09:41 AM
better than a stick in the eye I guess.

footballgal
09-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger:

Tell them lots of pain medication, that will do the trick. Unless you want to think of the pain inflicted while there putting in the pain medicine to numb your gums, with those looong needles http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/eek.gif ; or the pain afterwards, after the medicine wears off!

Oh, I initially was trying to make you feel better, but then reality kicked in.... too many bad expierences at the denist for me.

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 12, 2002).]

SintonFan
09-12-2002, 11:28 AM

After my last experience, I'd think I would take the stick! About a year ago I went to get my last 'wisdom' tooth removed. Since I was fairly new in town I didn't know any dentist. So a girl at school recommended a Dr. Happy (not his real name but almost). I set up an appointment and every thing seemed to be going smooth. They even took my dental discount plan. I got there at 10:30 that morning and was getting those wonderful shots about 11:15. So around 15 min later he guy starts trying to pull out the tooth. He's having trouble getting ahold of the tooth so he decides to 'saw' a little round the crown. Smoke starts to rise from my mouth as he's cutting notches. NOW he can get a grip. Before he does that he pokes a thin tool right next to the nerve and after I scream, ask "does that hurt?". Rhetorical question right? After a few more shots and another fifteen min he goes to work. This guy is skinny but insanely strong! The tooth still won't come by conventional means so he starts to twist left and right with what must be dental vicegrips. All the while my jaw is following the same direction. I thought he was going to break my jaw! He keeps this up for a long time. My jaw muscles start to cramp because of the stress and I get something to bite down on. Every now and then he cracks up the notches he made and has to recut then, so I saw smoke from my mouth about 5 times that day. He finally got a large part out but almost half my tooth is still in. Turns out I've got "twisted roots". That means teeth don't wanna come out. He tries to get the last part but it WILL NOT release. Did I tell you this was on a friday? So now, AFTER I'VE BEEN IN THE CHAIR FOR 3 1/2 HOURS, he decides to sew me up and schedule an appointment for MONDAY with the oral surgeon.
Man, was that fun! A whole weekend on painkillers. If you have the option to go under with the bye-bye gas, TAKE IT!
Good luck!

footballgal
09-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan:
After my last experience, I'd think I would take the stick! About a year ago I went to get my last 'wisdom' tooth removed. Since I was fairly new in town I didn't know any dentist. So a girl at school recommended a Dr. Happy (not his real name but almost). I set up an appointment and every thing seemed to be going smooth. They even took my dental discount plan. I got there at 10:30 that morning and was getting those wonderful shots about 11:15. So around 15 min later he guy starts trying to pull out the tooth. He's having trouble getting ahold of the tooth so he decides to 'saw' a little round the crown. Smoke starts to rise from my mouth as he's cutting notches. NOW he can get a grip. Before he does that he pokes a thin tool right next to the nerve and after I scream, ask "does that hurt?". Rhetorical question right? After a few more shots and another fifteen min he goes to work. This guy is skinny but insanely strong! The tooth still won't come by conventional means so he starts to twist left and right with what must be dental vicegrips. All the while my jaw is following the same direction. I thought he was going to break my jaw! He keeps this up for a long time. My jaw muscles start to cramp because of the stress and I get something to bite down on. Every now and then he cracks up the notches he made and has to recut then, so I saw smoke from my mouth about 5 times that day. He finally got a large part out but almost half my tooth is still in. Turns out I've got "twisted roots". That means teeth don't wanna come out. He tries to get the last part but it WILL NOT release. Did I tell you this was on a friday? So now, AFTER I'VE BEEN IN THE CHAIR FOR 3 1/2 HOURS, he decides to sew me up and schedule an appointment for MONDAY with the oral surgeon.
Man, was that fun! A whole weekend on painkillers. If you have the option to go under with the bye-bye gas, TAKE IT!
Good luck!

LMBO!! I am sorry to laugh so hard, but I can feel your pain, have had a couple of these torturous experiences! It's funny now to recant the story, but then it wasn't too funny, right SintonFan? I had 4 wisdom tooth pulled at once, one was growing side ways so that’s why I was referred to an oral surgeon. They gave me general anesthesia, my husband was sitting next to me, got out of the office with a headache, he asked the doc. if I was in pain since I had tears rolling down my face, the doc says no. Anyways, the last thing I remember b4 going under was seeing my husband's cap, a Dallas Cowboy cap. When I coming out, I started crying (they say women in general have this effect on them) and wasn't making any sense, talking about work and then the Dallas Cowboys something to the effect "I have to go home and watch the cowboys", anyways you had to be there!

BTW SintonFan, did you actually go back and get that fixed after all that???? http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 12, 2002).]

Pudlugger
09-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Thanks folks, I can't tell you how much better you have made me feel!

SintonFan
09-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I got it fixed that monday morning. They put me under, too. I didn't know the anesthesia had ever taken effect! One minute I was talking to the guy in the room and then *BANG* my wife suddenly appeared next to me saying, "lets go home". I started raising cain because I thought they didn't do anything. It seemed that fast! For anyone who needs to get a tooth pulled, Go Get Knocked Out! LOL... you brought back the monday morn memory...
that is some funny stuff, footballgal
LOL..

SintonFan
09-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Sorry Pudlugger...
I know your experience will be better!

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited September 12, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
09-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Just about my least favorite thing in the world to do is go to the dentist. Good luck

SINTON81
09-12-2002, 03:37 PM
I HAD TWO WISDOM TEETH PULLED AT THE SAME TIME, AND YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT. THE LAST THING I REMEMBER WAS TELLING THE ORAL SURGEN THAT I DID NOT THINK THE ANESTHESIA WAS GOING TO WORK, AS THEY PUT THE MASK ON ME. NEXT THING I KNOW THEY WERE CLEANING THINGS UP, I SAID ARE YOU ALL DONE, THEY SAID ALL DONE. IT SEEMED SO QUICK.

AFTER I WENT HOME I DEVELOPED A DRY-SOCKET, ALL I CAN SAY TO PUDLUGGER IS THAT I HOPE HE DOES NOT DEVELOPE A DRY-SOCKET, BECAUSE I THINK THEY HURT MORE THAN A TOOTHACE.

MY BEST WISHES PUDLUGGER.

------------------

Pudlugger
09-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanks to all for the support and sharing of great dentist stories. I did ok after he used up about 10 ampules of local and my lip was barely numb. Then he dug aroung to pull the thing out and said it wouldn't budge. So he got his drill bit going to remove bone (no smoke though) and I was not totally numb but was afraid to say because he was going to stop and have me come back another day for a general if I did. So he kept trying to pull the thing out, more drilling and much irritable chatter with his assistants about how diificult it was. My toes went into spasms and curled up like a wet cat in a tree! Finally he got the thing out, now I have a crater in my jaw. Have just washed down a pain pill with a Dewar s and soda, feels a little better. Nite nite.

footballgal
09-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks to all for the support and sharing of great dentist stories. I did ok after he used up about 10 ampules of local and my lip was barely numb. Then he dug aroung to pull the thing out and said it wouldn't budge. So he got his drill bit going to remove bone (no smoke though) and I was not totally numb but was afraid to say because he was going to stop and have me come back another day for a general if I did. So he kept trying to pull the thing out, more drilling and much irritable chatter with his assistants about how diificult it was. My toes went into spasms and curled up like a wet cat in a tree! Finally he got the thing out, now I have a crater in my jaw. Have just washed down a pain pill with a Dewar s and soda, feels a little better. Nite nite.

Hope your feeling better this morning!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-13-2002, 12:49 PM
If you think THAT'S bad........try having ALL FOUR of your wisdom teeth pulled IN THE SAME VISIT!!!

Even though I was knocked out........still...after I woke up, IT HURT LIKE HELL!

EAGLEBLUE
09-13-2002, 01:43 PM
I hope the jaw is feeling okay today Pudlugger. Surely you will be able to see the game w/o medication. GOOD LUCK!

[This message has been edited by EAGLEBLUE (edited September 13, 2002).]

Pudlugger
09-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by EAGLEBLUE:
Why today Pudlugger? Trying to get in a salty mood before the game? My goodness it would have to be bad for me to do it on game day. Even if I'm just in the cheering section. GOOD LUCK!

I like the asymetric new look to my jaw, sort of like Brando in The Godfather. I feel pretty good today, which surprises me . Hope it doesn't start up hurting in the middle of the game though.