PDA

View Full Version : DB Coach Duane Akina back to Texas!

Phil C
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
He will replace departed Coach Jerry Gray who had replaced him. Coach Akina has had great success at UT in coaching defensive backs and we can look for more of the same. He left for Arizona mainly because that is where family is from but he changed his mind but by the time he called Coach Brown they had already offered the position to Coach Gray. But now he gets to come back. Great news for our recruits and all of us. :clap:

Phil C
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I just found out that he moved to Arizona because his brother was sick and dying. He passed away a few weeks ago and decided he wanted to stay in Texas which is what his family wanted but by then Coach Gray had been offered the job and accepted. Now he had the opportunity to come back and is doing so.

DavidWooderson
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
UGGGGGGHHHHHHHH DANG IT! I was happy when he left. As long as he doesn't have anything to do with the special teams and just coaches Secondary I guess it'd be okay.

Phil C
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.examiningcalvinism.com/files/NT/prodigal_son.jpg

Phil C
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I am happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU

DavidWooderson
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I just have the same opinion about him as I do Greg Davis. Was he a good coach? Sure, but when you have Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young and Colt McCoy it sure does make your job look easy.

When you have athletes like Nate Vasher, Ced Griffin, Aaron Ross, Mike Griffin, Mike Huff, Quinten Jammer, Tarrell Brown, Earl Thomas etc etc etc. Hard to look bad.

Emerson1
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson
I just have the same opinion about him as I do Greg Davis. Was he a good coach? Sure, but when you have Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young and Colt McCoy it sure does make your job look easy.

When you have athletes like Nate Vasher, Ced Griffin, Aaron Ross, Mike Griffin, Mike Huff, Quinten Jammer, Tarrell Brown, Earl Thomas etc etc etc. Hard to look bad.
I think last year showed that you can have all the talent in the world and it's becomes useless if you have an incompetent coach. I don't remember the secondary being a glaring problem. He also has athletes like Blake Gideon who are slow and white that are producing.

lostaussie
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He also has athletes like Blake Gideon who are slow and white :thinking: Say what!!!

Old Tiger
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
This will help the recruiting classes. Akina is one of the top recruiters along with Applewhite.

injuredinmelee
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by DavidWooderson

When you have athletes like Nate Vasher, Ced Griffin, Aaron Ross, Mike Griffin, Mike Huff, Quinten Jammer, Tarrell Brown, Earl Thomas etc etc etc. Hard to look bad. exactly!