PDA

View Full Version : Road Rage?

Old LB
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/feb/10/drivers-shooting-death-investigated-grand/

Sad

:thinking:

Ranger Mom
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
There has to be more to this story!

Guy A shoots Guy B in the head and kills him and the police interview Guy A and let him leave? No arrest or anything??

IMO...both driver's sound completely nuts!!

Old LB
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Guy A shoots Guy B in the head and kills him and the police interview Guy A and let him leave? No arrest or anything??

IMO...both driver's sound completely nuts!!

Yeah, hard to believe. They have not released the shooters name to the public either. Something doesn't seem right here?

Ernest T Bass
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Guy B brandished a gun first. If you pull a gun on me, Im going to assume that you intend to take my life. Most judges will probably agree with that.

Old LB
02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Guy B brandished a gun first. If you pull a gun on me, Im going to assume that you intend to take my life. Most judges will probably agree with that.

I agree with you, but if you can back into and shove a car across the street you could assume you could leave also.

ronwx5x
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Not sure "adventurous" is how I would describe him. A 21 year old with a 6 year old son, 2 year old daughter and a girlfriend.

BaseballUmp
02-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Not sure "adventurous" is how I would describe him. A 21 year old with a 6 year old son, 2 year old daughter and a girlfriend.

Does it matter how old he was and how many kids he had?

Dude got out and shot him after he backed into the car forcing him across the street.

cr180t
02-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Sad for all concerned.

garciap77
02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
WITNESSES DETAIL INCIDENT

Following are accounts of Wednesday’s fatal shooting of Austin David by two witnesses — David Jeter, who was smoking a cigarette outside his insurance business at 1369 Sayles Blvd., and Stephanie Molina, Austin David’s girlfriend who was riding in the car.

David Jeter’s account

A white Mustang is southbound in the right lane of Sayles followed by a blue Chevrolet pickup near College Street and Sayles Boulevard.

The Mustang (driven by Austin David) slows to allow another vehicle to enter the Shell gas station at South 14th and Sayles.

The pickup pulls around the Mustang on the left and gets in front of the Mustang.

Both vehicles stop and drivers get out and yell at each other. David has a gun.

Jeter calls 911.

Both get back in their vehicles and the pickup backs into the Mustang, pushing it across the median into oncoming tra–c.

The man in the pickup gets out and fires a shot. David falls down.

Jeter is still on the phone with 911 and reports the shooting.

Jeter tells the man to lower his hands and go to the parking lot of the Shell station, while he checks David. The man follows instructions and waits for police.

Police arrive with guns drawn, handcu the man and put him in a squad car.

Jeter goes to the Law Enforcement Center to be interviewed by police.

Stephanie Molina’s account

Molina and David leave David’s house in the 2200 block of South Sixth Street.

After turning onto Sayles to head to McMurry University, they notice a pickup tailgating them.

David taps the brakes.

David taps the brakes near the Shell station at South 14th and Sayles. The pickup passes the Mustang on the left and gets in front of them. The driver gets out of the truck.

David gets out of the Mustang, pulls a gun, points it at the man and tells him to get back in his truck.

Both men get back into their vehicles and Molina asks David, “What are you thinking?”

The truck shifts into reverse and begins ramming their vehicle.

David tells Molina to “call the cops.”

When they come to a stop over the median, Molina is dialing 911.

David begins to exit the Mustang.

Molina hears a shot and gets out of the car on the driver’s side and sees David lying on the ground.

Pendragon13
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, either this is one of the worst cases of police incompetance in history...or there is more to the story than what we're reading. Anybody know who this guy is? (the shooter that is)

garciap77
02-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Yeah, either this is one of the worst cases of police incompetance in history...or there is more to the story than what we're reading. Anybody know who this guy is? (the shooter that is)

No, but my co-workers have seen the blue truck being driven in an aggressive and reckless way several times this month down South 14th. IMO the shooter is at fault for instigating the confrontation.

ronwx5x
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Does it matter how old he was and how many kids he had?

Dude got out and shot him after he backed into the car forcing him across the street.

No, but the glowing description of what kind of person he is leaves out a few details.

Pendragon13
02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Anyone know the name of the shooter yet? Apparently the local media leaked it but I missed it and can't find it anywhere. The distorter news website still has the same article and apparently all of the comments below the article mentioning the name have been edited out..

slingshot
02-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Anyone know the name of the shooter yet? Apparently the local media leaked it but I missed it and can't find it anywhere. The distorter news website still has the same article and apparently all of the comments below the article mentioning the name have been edited out.. Sent you a pm... wealthy local family :rolleyes: .

nobogey72
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
From what I understand, the Police Chief decided to let a grand jury make the call on what to charge him with. It could range from murder to justifiable homicide. The shooter (40) is notorious for being a wild-ass and a hot-head and is in a fairly prominent family. Everybody in Abilene will recognize the name when it is made public.

Black_Magic
02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

IMO...both driver's sound completely nuts!! I think your right. NO doubt. BUT I would like to say thing. Imagine that these two guys DONT have hand guns in thier cars?? Do you think there would be a death? I dont think so. I think this is a case that shows permits to carry a hand gun can be a bad Idea. If these guys didnt have guns nobody would have died. Someone would have got his but kicked but would be alive.. IMO

Blastoderm55
02-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I think your right. NO doubt. BUT I would like to say thing. Imagine that these two guys DONT have hand guns in thier cars?? Do you think there would be a death? I dont think so. I think this is a case that shows permits to carry a hand gun can be a bad Idea. If these guys didnt have guns nobody would have died. Someone would have got his but kicked but would be alive.. IMO

I'm hardly a gun rights supporter, but I do think its too easy to blame the gun in this situation. Do we even know if the accused was permitted? If he wasn't, the point is moot. People just need to chill out and cut each other some slack. Gun or no gun, this entire event is completely senseless.

garciap77
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I think your right. NO doubt. BUT I would like to say thing. Imagine that these two guys DONT have hand guns in thier cars?? Do you think there would be a death? I dont think so. I think this is a case that shows permits to carry a hand gun can be a bad Idea. If these guys didnt have guns nobody would have died. Someone would have got his but kicked but would be alive.. IMO

These two guys did not have permits, so explain how that would be a bad Idea.:confused:

AP Panther Fan
02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
From what I understand, the Police Chief decided to let a grand jury make the call on what to charge him with. It could range from murder to justifiable homicide. The shooter (40) is notorious for being a wild-ass and a hot-head and is in a fairly prominent family. Everybody in Abilene will recognize the name when it is made public.

Seems a bit odd that the name isn't public already. This happened last Wednesday. Says something about the newspaper, if you ask me (which you didn't).

nobogey72
02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Seems a bit odd that the name isn't public already. This happened last Wednesday. Says something about the newspaper, if you ask me (which you didn't).

What they HAVE made public is the name of the person to whom the truck was registered (which more than likely is the person who did the shootin). Several people say it is definitely the same guy. And, one of the TV stations also named the owner of the truck and had pictures of him on the news. What's strange to me is that a couple of months ago a guy shot and killed a couple of pit bulls that were in his yard here in Abilene, and he got arrested and charged pretty quickly.

Bullaholic
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
IMO, a shot to the head is meant to kill---not deter or defend, and the shooter should be charged with at least manslaughter according to the accounts that I read. Maybe, more info is forthcoming as many have suggested. I think the verdict in this case will come down to whether the judge/jury believes the shot was fired in anger or self-defense. I see more anger here.

Blastoderm55
02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
IMO, a shot to the head is meant to kill---not deter or defend, and the shooter should be charged with at least manslaughter according to the accounts that I read. Maybe, more info is forthcoming as many have suggested.

Yeah, plus its not as if the guy felt he was in danger. After the first confrontation, his vehicle was in front, and he was free to drive away. If anyone had justification to defend himself, it was the man who was shot as his car was deliberately being hit and pushed backward.

Ranger Mom
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM

From what I read, neither person had a permit to carry a concealed weapon so it doesn't even matter!!!

nobogey72
02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Yeah, plus its not as if the guy felt he was in danger. After the first confrontation, his vehicle was in front, and he was free to drive away. If anyone had justification to defend himself, it was the man who was shot as his car was deliberately being hit and pushed backward.

He'll be able to make some case that he thought his life was in danger because the witnesses said that the kid who got shot got out of his car with a gun in his hand. And, 2 guns were recovered at the scene. I'm sure that is the factor that's making it hard to decide what to charge the guy with.

garciap77
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
He'll be able to make some case that he thought his life was in danger because the witnesses said that the kid who got shot got out of his car with a gun in his hand. And, 2 guns were recovered at the scene. I'm sure that is the factor that's making it hard to decide what to charge the guy with.

David Jeter’s account:

Both vehicles stop and drivers get out and yell at each other. David has a gun.

Both get back in their vehicles and the pickup backs into the Mustang, pushing it across the median into oncoming traffic.

The man in the pickup gets out and fires a shot. David falls down.

Stephanie Molina’s account (girl friend; she was in the car with David):

David gets out of the Mustang, pulls a gun, points it at the man and tells him to get back in his truck.

Both men get back into their vehicles and Molina asks David, “What are you thinking?”

The truck shifts into reverse and begins ramming their vehicle.

David tells Molina to “call the cops.”

When they come to a stop over the median, Molina is dialing 911.

David begins to exit the Mustang.

Molina hears a shot and gets out of the car on the driver’s side and sees David lying on the ground.

IMO, this was over when both guys got back in their vehicles! When the guy in the blue vehicle decides to go back after the guy in the mustang with his truck, then he became the aggressor. In, fact the guy in the blue truck was tailgating the white mustang from the get go. The man in blue truck pulling in front of the mustang and stopping in an aggressive way justified the guy in the white mustang to pull his gun. He did not shoot him, but only asked him to get back in his truck. The man in the blue truck needs to be arrested until thing get sorted out.

Black_Magic
02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
If the guy backed into the mustang AFTER he got back into the pickup AND THEN GOT OUT AGAIN and SHOT the other guy then thats MURDER.. He should have driven away before he 1) backed into the other car. 2) Before he got out and shot the other guy. He didnt do what he had to do to avoid the conflict.

Again. If these guys didnt have a gun in the car then this would not have resulted in a death. Were these guys going to a shooting range or had they just returned from hunting or something? other wise they should not have had a gun in the car.

Bullaholic
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
other wise they should not have had a gun in the car.

UNLESS they had a CHL, of course....

Ranger Mom
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
From everything I have read, all you need is a permit to carry a gun to have one in your car. You don't need a concealed handgun permit if it's in your vehicle. Now...since they both took the guns OUT of their vehicle and pointed it at someone, that may make all that null and void.

Also, to answer BM's question, the article said that guy who lost his life was on his way to a shooting range.

Black_Magic
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
From everything I have read, all you need is a permit to carry a gun to have one in your car. You don't need a concealed handgun permit if it's in your vehicle. Now...since they both took the guns OUT of their vehicle and pointed it at someone, that may make all that null and void.

Also, to answer BM's question, the article said that guy who lost his life was on his way to a shooting range. well then if he was on his way to shoot then its perfectly fine for him to have had it. Should not have pulled it on the guy no doubt. Should have just stayed in the car and called the police. The guy who shot him though should be in jail. That guy should have just drove off. raming the other guys car and getting back out and shooting him makes him wrong.

Ranger Mom
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
well then if he was on his way to shoot then its perfectly fine for him to have had it. Should not have pulled it on the guy no doubt. Should have just stayed in the car and called the police. The guy who shot him though should be in jail. That guy should have just drove off. raming the other guys car and getting back out and shooting him makes him wrong.

I agree with that 100%. And if you are going to shoot, why shoot the guy in the head and not the leg or arm?

ccmom
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Here's another article that "kind of" addresses why there has been no arrest.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/feb/14/district-attorney-lack-of-shooting-arrest-not/

garciap77
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
The alleged gunman in last week's fatal road rage shooting has turned himself into police.
Chris North has been charged with murder after being indicted by a Taylor County grand jury.

North shot and killed David Austin, 21, during a "road rage" incident last Wednesday on Sayles Boulevard.

KTAB and KRBC cameras were rolling Thursday afternoon as attorney Sam Moore went to North's home and took him to the Taylor County jail.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=341256

1st and goal
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
So, any more updates? Is the guy in jail or bonded out?

BwdLion73
02-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
So, any more updates? Is the guy in jail or bonded out?

Bonded out in under 30 minutes