PDA

View Full Version : 76 softball teams at Sulphur, Louisiana Tournament!

Old Cardinal
03-16-2003, 12:20 PM
It was a great day of Softball at the 20-softball field complex called Frash Parks in Sulphur, Louisiana. Louisiana has an excellent HS Softball strategy in that they pit like-skilled teams together for 4-5 innings in more-or-less scrimmage conditions. West Brook(Beaumont 5A) beat Denham Springs, a big entrollment school on a roll. Texas teams that I noticed there were Jasper, Deweyville, Orangefield, West Brook and Bridge City. The game conditions, last about 45 minutes against each team, sometimes up to one hour. Bridge City, because they had been so sucessful at the Alexandria Tounament,were able to face three very elite teams with excellent pitchers. Against Port Barre, it was tied 1-1 and Jessica Lemoine drove in 3 runs. Against a top rated 5A with an enrollment of 1600 students(Lafayette Hi.) in ended 0-0 after 4 innings of play, when it was called. In the last game, Bridge City, lost 1-0 at the end of a 44 minute game condition to their #1 rated 3A. Orangefield won their first one, got smoked bad in their second one and was ahead 2-1 when I left in the 3rd quarter....I would hope that we could do a like tournament for the leaders in 3A HS softball at the 27 field complex in Beaumont Tx; pitting the levels of preceived strength teams against each other in one hour or less full scrimmage conditions. I hate to say this Texans, but seeing a well run scrimmage tournament of that caliber makes me think that Louisiana might just have an edge on us in innovativeness!

greendog fan
03-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Old Cardinal:
It was a great day of Softball at the 20-softball field complex called Frash Parks in Sulphur, Louisiana. Louisiana has an excellent HS Softball strategy in that they pit like-skilled teams together for 4-5 innings in more-or-less scrimmage conditions. West Brook(Beaumont 5A) beat Denham Springs, a big entrollment school on a roll. Texas teams that I noticed there were Jasper, Deweyville, Orangefield, West Brook and Bridge City. The game conditions, last about 45 minutes against each team, sometimes up to one hour. Bridge City, because they had been so sucessful at the Alexandria Tounament,were able to face three very elite teams with excellent pitchers. Against Port Barre, it was tied 1-1 and Jessica Lemoine drove in 3 runs. Against a top rated 5A with an enrollment of 1600 students(Lafayette Hi.) in ended 0-0 after 4 innings of play, when it was called. In the last game, Bridge City, lost 1-0 at the end of a 44 minute game condition to their #1 rated 3A. Orangefield won their first one, got smoked bad in their second one and was ahead 2-1 when I left in the 3rd quarter....I would hope that we could do a like tournament for the leaders in 3A HS softball at the 27 field complex in Beaumont Tx; pitting the levels of preceived strength teams against each other in one hour or less full scrimmage conditions. I hate to say this Texans, but seeing a well run scrimmage tournament of that caliber makes me think that Louisiana might just have an edge on us in innovativeness!didnt knpw spftball had quarters. thought they had innings.

Old Cardinal
03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Greendog, you got me on that one!..... I learned one thing over there about mixing schools that can recruit (private)and public schools. There was a school called St. ThomasMoore that had the biggest girls I have ever seen recruited for one solfball team. They must have scouted a 3 state area to give out those softball scholarships! Hope Texas does not end up with a blended system.

3afan
03-17-2003, 07:18 AM
there are these type tournaments all over Texas in Feb/early March..........

Old Cardinal
03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
I go to a lot of tournaments and I have never seen 76 High School teams at one Tournament. Yes, I see ASA/AFA/NSA/USA Fastpitch etc:, with numbers of teams like that, but not High School Tournaments....Can you tell me specifically what tournament for HS have that many team participants, here in Texas?

Old Cardinal
03-19-2003, 08:55 AM
That's what I thought.