PDA

View Full Version : NCAA rule changes

Emerson1
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
The NCAA will never cease to amaze me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/575528-college-football-absurdity-penalizing-emotion-and-celebration

There is really no logical reason for any part of this rule. It's completely idiotic on the NCAA's part. It's not like the NCAA has gotten to the point of the NFL in terms of endzone dances. Why why why would the NCAA open themselves up to such controversy and such public ridicule? You don't gain a single fan by doing this nor make money off it. It's a horrible PR move by a league that is already is semi-disliked because of the BCS.

I imagine the SEC is loving this, now they can screw their sucky teams that are about to upset a NC contender even easier now.

LoboesWT
02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
National Communists Against Athletes

What is next everyone must stand shoulder to shoulder and uniformly march on and off the field utilizing extreme high kicks;)

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
It is funny..We as a country get butthurt over the smallest thing in sports..ever week even on here there will be post about team A being classless because they scores late with a big lead or player a celebrated to much and so on

I watch European soccer..and they CELEBRATE! a goal, I mean truly get into it with orchestrated elaborate celebrations that at times can be in your face..and I have yet to see a fight or problem from the team that gave up the goal. They just accept it and move on....same thing with "running" up the score...they keep playing and will score when there is a chance no matter what the scoreboard says and again they dont have problems with the losing team crying about it after

crzyjournalist03
02-10-2011, 01:24 PM
meh, this one doesn't bother me as much...they shouldn't be celebrating before they cross the end zone anyway. I just wish that they'd let the players enjoy themselves in a reasonable fashion after the play is over.

sahen
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
meh, this one doesn't bother me as much...they shouldn't be celebrating before they cross the end zone anyway. I just wish that they'd let the players enjoy themselves in a reasonable fashion after the play is over.

i would agree but i have seen refs call unsportsmanlike penalties for players pointing up to the sky (the thanks to god version) and the holding up a number 1 as crossing the goal line while at the same time seen guys dive into the endzone for no apparant reason (im looking at you adrian peterson) and high step in while getting nothing called...its a penalty where they can now take away a TD for something that has absolutely no bearing on the play and its completely up to interpretation by the ref...what is ok in one game is not in another and i'd hate to be the ref that throws the flag to call back a game winning TD with no time left...i mean if you can't celebrate that then what can you celebrate?

i just think it gives too much power to a ref and though most of them try their best to make the correct call it just takes one over zealous ref to ruin a game...

BaseballUmp
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Ok, so is it, if you havent yet crossed the goal line and you start to celebrate its 15 yards from that spot?

And if you do it in the endzone...15 yard penalty from?

crzyjournalist03
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Ok, so is it, if you havent yet crossed the goal line and you start to celebrate its 15 yards from that spot?

If the celebration starts after the player crosses the goal line, it's 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff; the TD still stands.

If he celebrates before crossing the goal line, it's fifteen yards from the spot where the celebration began and there is no TD.

LoboesWT
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
A bunch of Sissy Lalas and crying about celebrations. Who does it hurt if they celebrate, oh that's right no one. If you do not want them to celebrate, then stop them from scoring. That is the best way to prevent any doubt about celebrations. The players in post game and interviews, as well as coaches, never seem to complain about the celebrations. It always seems to be the losing fans or some commentator preaching about sportmanship and class.

Ernest T Bass
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
What about penguin sliding on the field?

sahen
02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

its college ball...u do that before the goal line and your down anyway

YTBulldogs
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

Your first example (prior to him scoring) is a live ball foul now, and marked off from the spot he started acting a fool. Last year, it was a dead ball foul and marked off on the kickoff or extra point.

Second example you gave (after he scores) will be like last year, a dead ball foul and marked off on the KO or extra point.

CenTexSports
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Actually it was always a live ball foul but it was penalized as a dead ball foul. Now it will be penalized as a live ball foul which is a spot foul. The dead ball spot is the succeeding spot either on the point or the ensuing kickoff.

As for the change, there has to be a line drawn. To see guys in HS get up after a tackle and dance or point like it was their first tackle or won the Super Bowl is silly. As an official, I prefer to draw the line at no celebrations and it makes the foul easier to call. Play the game on the field and celebrate on the sidelines.

LoboesWT
02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

It's all good. I have seen many celebrations and I don't focus or care about them very much. Some are tasteful and some are not, but celebration penalties that affect the outcome of the game have no place in the game. Go to the next play is what is on my mind. Who does the penguin slide hurt? The Grass maybe and if the kid gets a scratch and staff infection who cares!

playnhurt
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Pardon me for being old school and the old saying about "act like you've been there before" saying but I've said this for years. Take away the touchdown and see if the coaches don't start crawling up some of these showboat's arses. It might not be the head coach, but you can bet "everybody look at me" won't have as much arse left the next time he enters the game. Going to get interesting if the officials can be consistent with the call.

coach
02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
Pardon me for being old school and the old saying about "act like you've been there before" saying but I've said this for years. Take away the touchdown and see if the coaches don't start crawling up some of these showboat's arses. It might not be the head coach, but you can bet "everybody look at me" won't have as much arse left the next time he enters the game. Going to get interesting if the officials can be consistent with the call.

this old school crap is straight bull shyt! i have seen plenty of players who celebrate after a big play. everyone says back in the day they never celebrated blah blah blah...thats monkey shyt and old ppl are just trying to make themselves look better. i can go on youtube right now and find 50 different players celebrating after a touchdown or big play. paart of the problem is the older generations are the ones getting soft and they are the ones that complain all the time. i swear old ppl complain more than children and its not just in spoorts but in life. if you dont like the celebration then dont watch. sports are for entertainment and fun. celebrate, but dont taunt. let the kids have fun. it's just a game remember.

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
^^ Wow, bye-bye.

BEAST
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
God forbid two players get really excited after a really big play and do a high five or even worse, a jumping belly bump. Oh my, the horror.:doh:

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
^^ Wow, bye-bye.

why bye?

sahen
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Actually it was always a live ball foul but it was penalized as a dead ball foul. Now it will be penalized as a live ball foul which is a spot foul. The dead ball spot is the succeeding spot either on the point or the ensuing kickoff.

As for the change, there has to be a line drawn. To see guys in HS get up after a tackle and dance or point like it was their first tackle or won the Super Bowl is silly. As an official, I prefer to draw the line at no celebrations and it makes the foul easier to call. Play the game on the field and celebrate on the sidelines.

problem is the guys dancing around after a tackle this rule has no bearing on...that is still fine if your ref allows it and if not you don't lose points just field position...if you dance into the endzone while scoring however then you lose the TD....

i understand what they are trying to do w/ this rule, but the penalty is wayyy too harsh...it is still a judgement call and due to that will be called differently by different refs...im telling yall, there are going to be touchdowns called back because of this rule and its gonna be for something really stupid like pointing up to God as you cross the goal line which in no way is showing up the other team yet i have seen unsportsmanlike flags thrown on that....i can see it now, we will have to sit through a replay cause some coach will challenge whether the taunting happened before or after the kid crossed the goal line....::rolls eyes::

NCAA has plenty of other things to worry about than this...if there ever is a time for a kid to get excited in a game it is when he scores a TD...if they show up the other team while doing it then give them a penalty that hurts the kickoff even worse than teh current setup or make them take a 35-40 yard extra point or something but to take the points off the board is dumb...next they will be issuing Technical Fouls for Dunks that are too dramatic or something....

eagleqb_14
02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
that makes me mad

YTBulldogs
02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by coach
let the kids have fun. it's just a game remember.

I say it again to ya coach---ya'll (football coaches) write these rules.

bobcat1
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Just wait until baseball gets ahold of this. No more walk off homerun celebrations or mound pile ons. I like celebrations but not scripted ones like Chad and Terrell do. I don't like taunting. Celebrating with team members should be allowed.

coach
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
I say it again to ya coach---ya'll (football coaches) write these rules.

yea, but we like to blame it on you guys :)

Rabid Cougar
02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Fans can no longer applaud or show excitement. Everyone must remain in their seats. (Baylor won't have any problems with that)

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
why bye?

A response to the original, unedited post.

TexMike
02-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Celebration rule change is getting way too much attention. I suspect I watch more game film than anyone on this board (10-15 games a week). I saw less than 5 plays this past season that would even be affected by this change. Even the "dives" will be penalized AFTER the score. It is very very rare for an act that is flagged to be done before a score. Sometimes a player will turn back at the pursuing players and point the ball at them or will start strutting at the 10 yard line or will start waving at the crowd but the great majority of times they do not start doing "their thing" until they have scored.

This one will be like the wedge rule from last year. We beat it to death before the season and then hardly ever saw it once season started.

Phil C
02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by coach
this old school crap is straight bull shyt! i have seen plenty of players who celebrate after a big play. everyone says back in the day they never celebrated blah blah blah...thats monkey shyt and old ppl are just trying to make themselves look better. i can go on youtube right now and find 50 different players celebrating after a touchdown or big play. paart of the problem is the older generations are the ones getting soft and they are the ones that complain all the time. i swear old ppl complain more than children and its not just in spoorts but in life. if you dont like the celebration then dont watch. sports are for entertainment and fun. celebrate, but dont taunt. let the kids have fun. it's just a game remember.

BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad:

Phil C
02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
Celebration rule change is getting way too much attention. I suspect I watch more game film than anyone on this board (10-15 games a week). I saw less than 5 plays this past season that would even be affected by this change. Even the "dives" will be penalized AFTER the score. It is very very rare for an act that is flagged to be done before a score. Sometimes a player will turn back at the pursuing players and point the ball at them or will start strutting at the 10 yard line or will start waving at the crowd but the great majority of times they do not start doing "their thing" until they have scored.

This one will be like the wedge rule from last year. We beat it to death before the season and then hardly ever saw it once season started.

One problem is inconsistency with the officials. Sometimes they call it and sometimes not. And in games sometimes they don't call it both ways.

Phil C
02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I hope they make the rules retroactive. If so we (UT) just beat Miami in that Cotton Bowl. :)

LoboesWT
02-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by TexMike

The more rules they add is going to cause the Football rule book to turn into the Little League Baseball encyclopedia rule book.

playnhurt
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Calm down, Coach!

No, we didn't act like a fool when we scored. Our coaches would of worn our arses out. You don't get style points for the TD's and until you do, DON'T DANCE IN MY END ZONE!

poisoned10
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by sahen
(im looking at you adrian peterson)

Adrian Peterson is there with you?

YTBulldogs
02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
One problem is inconsistency with the officials. Sometimes they call it and sometimes not. And in games sometimes they don't call it both ways.

This is true, and has and will continue to be at all levels. You need to officiate Phil. Lord knows we could use the help.

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Adrian Peterson is there with you?

no, he just fantasizes of his girlfriend looking like Adrian Peterson.

sahen
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
no, he just fantasizes of his girlfriend looking like Adrian Peterson.

man beat me to it...i was trying to put:

"the NFL mobile got me again...thought it was Peterson but was just a coworker..."

earlier but I couldn't get the forum to post my reply...