PDA

View Full Version : TCU Turns Down Wisconsin

BreckTxLonghorn
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Great write-up on Deadspin about it:

http://deadspin.com/#!5756997/tcu-turns-down-wisconsin-game-to-continue-playing-little-sisters-of-the-poor

I see both sides, but as an outsider BCS school, wouldn't you want to play anybody from a BCS conference just to show your confidence at any point in the seasons?

sahen
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
they already have a game against us (Baylor) on that day in Waco...albeit we aren't anywhere near Wisconsin's level of play we are a BCS team...

carter08
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Great write-up on Deadspin about it:

http://deadspin.com/#!5756997/tcu-turns-down-wisconsin-game-to-continue-playing-little-sisters-of-the-poor

I see both sides, but as an outsider BCS school, wouldn't you want to play anybody from a BCS conference just to show your confidence at any point in the seasons?

Normally, yes. But TCU is already going to be a top 5 or 10 team. Why risk losing to Wisconsin? If they started Big East play next season, I could understand, but they need to go undefeated if they want in a BCS bowl this year. Why risk it?

BEAST
02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Normally, yes. But TCU is already going to be a top 5 or 10 team. Why risk losing to Wisconsin? If they started Big East play next season, I could understand, but they need to go undefeated if they want in a BCS bowl this year. Why risk it?

Not only that, but its about $. If Wisconsin is not going to make the return trip to Ft. Worth the following year, TCU will help Wisconsin make a nice pile of cash and TCU will not make much at all out of the deal.

BEAST

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
A better story would be Texas turning down TCU. :D

Bullaholic
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
The Frogs ain't skeered of nobody...

NastySlot
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

Is a Rose Bowl rematch brewing between Wisconsin and TCU for the 2011 season opener?

It's not going to happen, but both schools were contacted about the idea.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said on a Madison, Wis., sports radio station Wednesday that he was approached about playing host to TCU on Sept. 3.

"I was contacted probably a week, maybe a week and a half after the bowl game about the opportunity to play TCU in our opener," Bielema said on the show. "It was something that was going to be broadcast and made a big deal. It took me all of about point-five seconds to say, 'Yes.' "

TCU defeated Wisconsin 21-19 in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day, vaulting the undefeated Horned Frogs to a No. 2 final ranking in The Associated Press and USA Today top 25 polls (they remained No. 3 in the final BCS standings).

"I would definitely love the challenge to play them again," Bielema said on the show. "And really, I thought it would be a great sell with our folks. Unfortunately, TCU wasn't as excited about the matchup."

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte on Wednesday confirmed that a third party approached him about playing the Sept. 3 season opener at Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. Del Conte also confirmed that he declined the offer.

However, he said his lack of interest in the game had little to do with a lack of excitement at the prospect of playing the Badgers again, but rather that the one-time meeting would not produce a return game in Fort Worth.

"We already have Baylor for our opening game," Del Conte said. "A team supposedly Wisconsin played last year doesn't want to go back there. A third party was shopping the game around to other teams. I have no interest in playing a one-[time] game."

A source said UNLV, which played host to Wisconsin for the 2010 season opener, wants to get out of its scheduled Sept,. 3 game against Wisconsin.

Del Conte said plans for a potential home-and-home series were never discussed.

"It was a very quick conversation with a third party," Del Conte said. "I want to be clear: I never spoke to the Wisconsin athletic director or football coach."

Now, had Ohio State -- whose president, E. Gordon Gee, famously had chided non-BCS conference teams such as TCU for playing schedules littered with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" -- been the Big Ten team seeking a late schedule change, Del Conte said he would have been all ears.

"Oh yeah," he said, "of course."

so tech could be ripped for backing out and tcu its ok............heck take the money and run.

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

so tech could be ripped for backing out and tcu its ok............heck take the money and run.

Big difference IMO in backing out TWICE and not accepting a one time offer that really would not be a big benefit to TCU

NastySlot
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Big difference IMO in backing out TWICE and not accepting a one time offer that really would not be a big benefit to TCU

i guess but backing out is backing ....just different excuses i guess.

deals could be worked out to compensate for the one game..........tcu could load its pockets.

now understand I would never say tcu or any other school is scared or afraid to play someone..........backing out is backing out....and is done for reasons to benefit that program......even in tech's situation.

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
It's not even backing out when a third party calls you on the phone and asks if you're interested.

It's called a no thanks.

NastySlot
02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
It's not even backing out when a third party calls you on the phone and asks if you're interested.

It's called a no thanks.

your right after I posted and thought about it............tcu isn't backing out...never was a set game.......just kinda passing up an opportunity i guess

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
your right after I posted and thought about it............tcu isn't backing out...never was a set game.......just kinda passing up an opportunity i guess

an oppurtunity that imo is no win...if they beat them then people will say great, they beat them last year as well, what does this prove..if they lose then it makes the Rose Bowl seem like a fluke.

Matthew328
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
In addition TCU would also have to pay Baylor a pile of money to back out of their already scheduled game.

NastySlot
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
an oppurtunity that imo is no win...if they beat them then people will say great, they beat them last year as well, what does this prove..if they lose then it makes the Rose Bowl seem like a fluke.

playing Lamar is a no win.......playing Wisconsin is another notch in the belt plus payout.....tcu will be good but not number 2 in nation good.

so than .........it is wrong for sec teams, to play weak non conference opponents...when they have a lot tougher conference schedule..........but ok for tcu?

Matthew328
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Payout or no payout, TCU already a game scheduled.

DavidWooderson
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
TCU has nothing to prove by playing Wisconsin. They already beat them. Now if it were a home and home series, you know that they'd be all over it.

Like it or not TCU BCS Conference schools. TCU is not North Texas, they're not Central Florida, they're not Northern Illinois, they're not Memphis. They don't have to play a big school for a big pay out. They have money. They'll make more money playing a home game Vs. North Texas or Louisiana Tech than traveling to Wisconsin to beat a team they've already proved they beat.

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
playing Lamar is a no win.......playing Wisconsin is another notch in the belt plus payout.....tcu will be good but not number 2 in nation good.

so than .........it is wrong for sec teams, to play weak non conference opponents...when they have a lot tougher conference schedule..........but ok for tcu?

I just dont think it would be that big of a notch..they would be beating a team they beat last year in their last game of the season and playing them again in first game. I just dont think the risk/reward would be great enough IMO to justify it

eagles_victory
02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
TCU has a right to play whoever they want to play if they don't want to play Wisconsin that's fine. But, it is going to get old next year if TCU is on the outside looking in again if we have to hear "What about TCU" "why isn't TCU getting a shot" "poor TCU".

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
TCU has a right to play whoever they want to play if they don't want to play Wisconsin that's fine. But, it is going to get old next year if TCU is on the outside looking in again if we have to hear "What about TCU" "why isn't TCU getting a shot" "poor TCU".

TCU already beat Wisconsin. Maybe this year they will show Texas how to beat Baylor.

TheDOCTORdre
02-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
TCU already beat Wisconsin. Maybe this year they will show Texas how to beat Baylor.

yeah this might work if Baylor had a winning record against Texas

Matthew328
02-10-2011, 10:52 PM

Good Lord, TCU has a contractual obligation to play Baylor at their place. Whatever financial windfall they'd gain by playing at Whisky would be lost because they'd have to pay Baylor off.

TCU has a game Sept. 3, they didn't have an open spot. How convienient of Wisconsin to offer little ole TCU a chance to visit Madison, without a return trip when they knew TCU had a game scheduled.

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
yeah this might work if Baylor had a winning record against Texas

Lol. You know better than to take me seriously.

Btw. What was the score on that UT vs BAYLOR game last season? I forgot. :p

NastySlot
02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Good Lord, TCU has a contractual obligation to play Baylor at their place. Whatever financial windfall they'd gain by playing at Whisky would be lost because they'd have to pay Baylor off.

TCU has a game Sept. 3, they didn't have an open spot. How convienient of Wisconsin to offer little ole TCU a chance to visit Madison, without a return trip when they knew TCU had a game scheduled.

i hear yeah...but we all know that contracts mean nothing in college football when it comes to scheduling.........look i like what tcu has done.....and i am not arguing or trying to knock their acomplishments....my point is it's often argued that sec and even some big xii teams play weak non-conference opponents and get knocked for it.........why is this different?...........why should last years rose bowl win (which was great for tcu)....be the end all in matching up with a quality opponent the next season? i think i would understand that arguement that they beat wisconsin last season in the rose bowl.....if tcu had just trashed wisconsin..beat them by like 10 or more points..............tcu beat baylor last season soundly why play them again? tcu could travel to madison next season and move the baylor game or agree to play baylor in the future.........and at the same time get wisconsin to return the trip in future also.

if wisconsin had made that missed fg or the 2pt conversion for the win do you tcu would be all over the invite?

Matthew328
02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
1) TCU would have to pay Baylor a large sum of money to get out of that game.

2) TCU just trashed Tech for breaking their contract, kind of hypo-critical if they turn around and do the same thing.

3) TCU is not getting a return trip, its a bad deal for them. They might end up losing money.

I still dont think TCU would accept the invite if they lost the Rose Bowl for the reasons above.

jason
02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
you'd think if Wisconsin REALLY wanted to play they would tell TCU to cancel their Baylor game and come up there and then they (Wisc) would cancel a game next year to open a slot for them to go to TCU...

that would make sense monetarily, would be crappy on both of their part for canceling a game, but you gotta do what's best to improve your NC chances...

big daddy russ
02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
1) TCU would have to pay Baylor a large sum of money to get out of that game.

2) TCU just trashed Tech for breaking their contract, kind of hypo-critical if they turn around and do the same thing.

3) TCU is not getting a return trip, its a bad deal for them. They might end up losing money.

I still dont think TCU would accept the invite if they lost the Rose Bowl for the reasons above.

Originally posted by jason
you'd think if Wisconsin REALLY wanted to play they would tell TCU to cancel their Baylor game and come up there and then they (Wisc) would cancel a game next year to open a slot for them to go to TCU...

that would make sense monetarily, would be crappy on both of their part for canceling a game, but you gotta do what's best to improve your NC chances...
It's easy for everyone to bag on the non-BCS school for turning down an offer to go play a big boy, but most people don't really look at the big picture. They just see it as TCU being scared.

TCU's never been scared of anyone. Just like most smaller schools.

Few people remember the 2003-2004 season the way I (an Auburn fan) remember it. Leading up to the season, Auburn was slated to play Bowling Green and stud QB Omar Jacobs for our fourth game of the season. Auburn had a pretty good payout (if I remember correctly, it was $200k) while the Falcons had a legitimate shot at making some noise. Late-spring of 2003, Oklahoma made an offer to buy BG out of their contract with Auburn and give them a larger contract, larger TV audience, and a bigger stage to display their talent (the game was nationally televised).

Fast forward to the end of the 03-04 regular season. Auburn is undefeated. Oklahoma is undefeated. USC is undefeated. Oklahoma edges out Auburn for a trip to the national championship by a few points in the BCS rankings. All because Auburn wound up playing The Division I-AA Citadel instead of an eight-win, bowl-bound DI Bowling Green.

But guess what? Looking back, Bowling Green's decision made sense. They had an out to a larger audience, bigger game, and better money. Neither game was home-and-home, and I doubt the Baylor buyout would be a mere $400k (the going rate for a buy-in game these days). Nope, TCU would probably have to look for somewhere between $1-1.5 million in order to break even.

The Rose Bowl paid TCU $1.8 million.

I don't see any way the TCU program benefits from that game. They're better off just standing pat and waiting until they enter the Big East next year for a crack at the big boys.

eagles_victory
02-12-2011, 01:34 AM

TCU has a game Sept. 3, they didn't have an open spot. How convienient of Wisconsin to offer little ole TCU a chance to visit Madison, without a return trip when they knew TCU had a game scheduled. I can already hear the poor TCU's starting.

PPHSfan
02-12-2011, 08:16 AM
I can already hear the poor TCU's starting.

I didn't hear much poor poor TCU this year. I heard some TCU is great. And some TCU won the Rose Bowl!!! As a matter of fact, I heard a he'll of a lot more poor poor Texas two years ago, when they actually got beat by an inferior team and missed out on the Big XII Championship game.