PDA

View Full Version : Coach Emory Bellard passes away

Phil C
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
He was an assistant coach at UT in the late 60s and developed the wishbone that UT used to have some great years. He also had good years as head coach at Texas A&M and Mississippi State. He coach at Ingleside High School in the mid 60s.

RIP Coach and thank you for everything. :(

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/02/10/reports_emory_b.html

lv2937
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I thought he lived in Horseshoe Bay. The article in the paper said he lived in Georgetown. We have a benifet golf tour here in Burnet every year and coach was always here for it. He was a really nice guy.

bobcat1
02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Good man. May he rest in peace. Prayers to his family.

bigcat8
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
still have picture that was taken of me and coach bellard in 1974... he was a very good friend of my dad.... thoughts and prayers go out to the bellard family.... the coaching fraternity just lost a great one....

playnhurt
02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
My condolences to Bob and the rest of the Bellard family. My prayers are with you and your family.

Old Dog
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Tip of the hat to a darn fine man.

MUSTANG69
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
He is the most remembered coach in Ingleside. Named a street after him.

Prayers to his family.

MUSTANG69
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Emory Bellard was coach at Ingleside 1952-1954. He also won 3 state championships. 2 at Breckenrodge and 1 at San Antonio Central.

MustangFootball
02-10-2011, 06:02 PM
i never had the honor of meeting coach bellard but everything i've ever heard has been really good .....my condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

zebrablue2
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Tip of the hat to a darn fine man.

:ditto:

rojosgirl
02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Prayers to the family. He will surely be missed.

AP Panther Fan
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Some more info that was e-mailed to me...RIP Coach Bellard

Emory Bellard, a former Texas A&M and Mississippi State coach credited with developing the wishbone offense when he was an assistant at Texas, died Thursday. He was 83.

Cathy Capps, director of the Texas A&M Lettermen’s Association, said Bellard died at a care facility in Georgetown in Central Texas. She said Bellard had Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Bellard, a graduate of Aransas Pass High School, coached at Texas high schools for more than two decades, starting with Ingleside from 1952-54.

In 21 seasons at the high school level, Bellard was a stellar 177-59-9 with three state titles.

Bellard was on Darrell Royal’s staff at Texas in 1968 when the Longhorns developed a formation with three running backs that came to be known as the wishbone.

“To say he was an important member of our staff at that time is an understatement,” Royal said. “He was a true friend, and that didn’t change whether he was in Austin, College Station or Starkville.”

Bellard coached at Texas high schools for more than two decades at the beginning and end of his career, winning three state titles from 1958-66. His success landed him on the Texas staff, and while other assistants relaxed during the summer before the 1968 season, Bellard was busy trying to figure out a way to utilize a strong group of running backs after Texas endured three straight mediocre seasons.

Bellard’s idea was to put a third running back a yard behind the quarterback, flanked by two more running backs a few yards behind to form what looked like a “Y.” Quarterbacks had three options — hand off to the fullback, keep the ball or pitch to one of the other running backs.

The wishbone was similar to the two-back veer, which Houston was using to become a threat in the Southwest Conference. The Longhorns rode Bellard’s modification to a national championship in 1969, and Oklahoma made the offense nearly unstoppable in the 1970s and ‘80s.

“People all over the country and different levels of football adopted that offense,” said former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, who was hired as an assistant by Bellard in 1972. “I think he was proud that the game he cared so much about, that he was able to make a significant contribution to it.”

Slocum also credited Bellard with being among the first football coaches in Texas to recruit black players.

“I don’t think he ever got the full credit for what he really did,” Slocum said.

Bellard had a 48-27 record in seven years at Texas A&M before resigning during the 1978 season. He led A&M to three straight bowl games, including a win in the 1977 Sun Bowl. He was 37-42 in seven seasons at Mississippi State.